Samsonov on his way OUT?

C-Love

Apparently Samsonov has been telling Russian reporters that he is on his way out of Montreal. I would be the first person to stand up and applaud this move, however the problem will be, who wants him? At 3.5 Million next year, this guy will be almost impossible to move, unless Gainey can pull another cat out of the hat a' la Theordore move. This would open up cap space to pick someone else up as well. If you could unload Samsonov of a 3rd round pick we would be in good shape. That is something that is possible, because teams may want to take a chance on him at this point in the year, hoping he will put in a good playoffs.

http://www.torontosun.com/Sports/Hockey/20...452471-sun.html

That will happen if he leaves and break his contract to play in Russia with love. Nobody is stupid enough to grab his contract.

Anyway it comes from Toronto Star reporter who says that it is in a Russian paper but no real source.

Anyway he looked good on the third line lately.

I hope it isn't true. It's too bad Sammy has struggled this year so far, I really like him and I thought he was going to be a key contributer to the lineup. He's been playing better of late, so hopefully he can find his feet again and get the monkey off his back.

GO SAMMY

hehehe, , , ,,"from the horse's mouth" might more accurately read "from the horse's ass" -- this is a Toronto Sun story (without a byline even, meaning no writer dared put their name on it). This story has zero credibility, the writer is not identified and neither are the reporters or their media in Russia, because this is either a rumor, conjecture, or a fiction.

For most fans in the Center of the Universe, Montréal's success hurts bad, especially in light of the leaf's continuing misery. So, the Toronto Sun slaps together a story like this, intended to make Center of the Universe fans feel a bit better by enabling them to think things are bad in Montréal.

Yeah, so some guys are slumping, what about it? That's the way it goes.

Reality Check: Things are good in Montréal, things are bad in Toronto -- so say the standings :P And it's not the Toronto Sun that decides which teams get into the playoffs, it's the NHL standings.

There does seem to be some talk about him leaving, Scott Cullen is also reporting that Chicago may actually be interested in acquiring Samsonov, but in the same article it states that Gainey was also inquiring about Riberio, which makes me question him. But you have to think something is going to give in Montreal, we most likely are not going to be completely quiet heading into the deadline.

http://rumormethis.com/player-rumors/will-...nov-in-montreal

http://rumormethis.com/player-rumors/canad...shopping-winger

Apparently Samsonov has been telling Russian reporters that he is on his way out of Montreal. I would be the first person to stand up and applaud this move, however the problem will be, who wants him? At 3.5 Million next year, this guy will be almost impossible to move, unless Gainey can pull another cat out of the hat a' la Theordore move. This would open up cap space to pick someone else up as well. If you could unload Samsonov of a 3rd round pick we would be in good shape. That is something that is possible, because teams may want to take a chance on him at this point in the year, hoping he will put in a good playoffs.

http://www.torontosun.com/Sports/Hockey/20...452471-sun.html

Last I heard, BG was the GM ^_^

Gainey said himself he was not expecting anything from Samsonov until Feb. He has finally been broken up from Kovalev and looks great with Bonk and Johnson.

Russian media sources are usually pretty bad when it comes to hockey rumours, so it is not really the Toronto Sun's fault but they really should not be printing this crap.

hehehe, , , ,,"from the horse's mouth" might more accurately read "from the horse's ass" -- this is a Toronto Sun story (without a byline even, meaning no writer dared put their name on it). This story has zero credibility, the writer is not identified and neither are the reporters or their media in Russia, because this is either a rumor, conjecture, or a fiction.

For most fans in the Center of the Universe, Montréal's success hurts bad, especially in light of the leaf's continuing misery. So, the Toronto Sun slaps together a story like this, intended to make Center of the Universe fans feel a bit better by enabling them to think things are bad in Montréal.

Yeah, so some guys are slumping, what about it? That's the way it goes.

Reality Check: Things are good in Montréal, things are bad in Toronto -- so say the standings :P And it's not the Toronto Sun that decides which teams get into the playoffs, it's the NHL standings.

Excellent post. You hit the nail on the head.

Samsonov is a great player that's having a tough time.

With that in mind I think we all should give him more time to adapt. Fact is that the Kovalev-Samsonov line hasn't work because the team lacks a center that can play with them.

Imagine a guy like Fedorov or Brylin with them... I hope and think that Samsonov will bounce back.

Quoting a Russian newspaper report is only slightly less credible than quoting Bruce Garrioch or Al Strachan. The words might be right, but that doesn't mean that either of them wrote it correctly in the first place.

Also from that Sun story.

GOOD habs-ITS

- Andrei Markov: Defenceman's 32 points are making him the better known of the Markov brothers.

To what brother are the referring? Does Andrei have a sibling playing in the Russian League or elsewhere in Europe? Because they should know that Andrei and Danny aren't related, much less brothers.

VS said the same thing during the Habs Wings game. How do they expect to increase popularity if they can't even get the players right, or information about them. The all star festivities had alot of name and coverage problems as well. It is really pathetic. Atleast hockey is back tonight.

I've been a Samsonov supporter for several reasons. We all know he can be a one man wrecking crew. He's like a T-34 Russian tank. Small but solid. He gets much of his speed from his stature and strength. A1 NHL class without a doubt in that area. Awesome cycling. Please SHOOT!

Bob did say give it February. As far as I'm concerned that window of opportunity is closed. It's time for Sammy to deliver. At this point IMO he's still not a bad acquisition. Look at Bonk on his 2 year deal. Bonk was last years Samsonov as far as being a contract whipping boy.

In game 1 against Carolina (he also got hot down the stretch) he scored and was integral to what could have been a success against the Canes. In year 2 we all can agree (I hope) that the acquisition of Bonk is good and the contract is worth every penny :D (Huet :clap: Bonus).

So, here we have Samsonov who is the 2007 overpaid guy. He has been talking to Russian newspapers. It blows my mind that he's able to fly over to Moscow every other day, talk to reporters and fly back to Montreal given the heavy NHL schedule. Or, maybe he has such a pathetic social life he enjoys calling Moscow reporters to tell them all sorts of interesting things.

Hello? :wacko:

This is conjecture. Samsonov probably said in passing to one in Montreal (probably 3 weeks ago :blink: ) reporter recently that he thinks he'll be out soon. That's probably all it is. His agent talks with Gainey might be the leak. He might be making this assumption based on trade rumours and what he hears on Montreal radio. I mean, does it make sense that Gainey would phone up Samsonov on a sunday and say, "come on in to the rink kid, I'm gonna call around and shop you. I'll let you listen to the conversation. We'll do this every other day."?

There may be a truth to this but on other levels this just doesn't add up at all. After all, Gainey is the most predictable GM in the business. Gainey's trade talks get leaked. Right?

So stupid. If I could predict Gainey I wouldn't waste my time on him. I'd put those skills to better use. I'd be a millionaire from the lottery.

Have any of these reporters won any lottery money?

I will continue to support him. If Bob trades him that's fine because I Trust In Bob. Until Bob trades him I Trust In Samsonov because he's still Gainey's acquisition. The irony

Edited by ATHLÉTIQUE.CANADIEN

At this point, I don't think shipping Samsonov will do us much good, unless Gainey continues to surprise us and land a terrific deal. I still haven't given up on Sammy though. Like it was said, Samsonov is a GREAT player; he's just having a terrible year. But it's not like he hasn't improved other facets of his game while struggling offensively. I personally feel that Sammy is a more complete player now, and once his offensive upside kicks in, I'm sure it'll be well worth the wait.

That is not to say that I haven't been frustrated with Samsonov this season. I have, and the unwillingness of Carbo to separate him from Kovalev only fueled this frustration. Nevertheless, I remain optimistic, especially now that he's playing with Bonk and Johnson. I think everyone on that line compliments the other.

That being said, the Sun is garbage. Take every word with a shaker full of salt.

The Canadiens should run a yearly free agent ad in the Classifieds.

"Wanted: One player, 2nd rate superstar level. Please apply so the local media and fans can hate you and criticize your game"

LOL Yeh, it's no wonder UFAs avoid Montreal. That, and the taxes, of course.

I remember reading "Samsonov telling Russia media" thing a couple weeks ago and I beieve is was just regurgitated with all the Forsberg rumours. The Chicago rumours are also people reading other peoples rumours and keeping them alive. I have yet to see a report from Russia!

I won't at all be surprised if Sammy is dealt but I won't believe any of these until they happen.

Samsonov's agent was reported to have been in the area a little while ago,....it's not impossible that they where all talking about the situation and where looking at various options and compromised that could satisfy all party involved.

A short while after, TSN had some stuff going about CHI being interested to depart of Aucoin for Samy.....an exchange of under-performing players between two club is credible.

Ideally, Samy get's his touch back and improves the 3th line goals productivity.

Samsonov needs a good centre to play with. Thats what would turn his game around. He had Thornton and Bergeron in Boston and Stoll and Horcoff in Edmonton. All better offensive centres than Tomas Plekanec.

Find him a centre and he'll improve....same with Kovalev

Samsonov's agent was reported to have been in the area a little while ago,....it's not impossible that they where all talking about the situation and where looking at various options and compromised that could satisfy all party involved.

A short while after, TSN had some stuff going about CHI being interested to depart of Aucoin for Samy.....an exchange of under-performing players between two club is credible.

Ideally, Samy get's his touch back and improves the 3th line goals productivity.

I am all for that trade. As bad as Aucoin has been this season, I believe he is a good fit for our club. We have solid depth on the wings, Samsonov is not needed.

Samsonov needs a good centre to play with. Thats what would turn his game around. He had Thornton and Bergeron in Boston and Stoll and Horcoff in Edmonton. All better offensive centres than Tomas Plekanec.

Find him a centre and he'll improve....same with Kovalev

I understand what you are saying Kaos, with the glaring need for a 2nd line centre, but why is it up to Gainey to find an all-star centre to make two all-stars play better?

Pleks should score 50+ points playing with the two russian All-stars, while playing on a broken leg, and rusty skates!

Lemieux is the most obvious allstar who made players around him better then they actually were, but there are many that have done it throughout history. The real question is ...Why can't Kovalev & Samsonov make Pleks look like a star ala Rob Brown? Maybe its because they aren't really that good to begin with.

Kovalev had Messier, Jagr and Lemieux. Samsonov had Thornton, Bergeron, Horcoff, Stoll etc

Did we really aquire 2 Pat Falloon's for the better part of our core players?

I

Lemieux is the most obvious allstar who made players around him better then they actually were, but there are many that have done it throughout history. The real question is ...Why can't Kovalev & Samsonov make Pleks look like a star ala Rob Brown? Maybe its because they aren't really that good to begin with.

In no way can we compare Mario Lemieux with Kovalev and Samsonov. The only players you can ever compare Mario Lemieux with are Bobby Orr, Wayne Gretzky and now possible Sidney Crosby. Just special talents who make everybody around them better, ie., Rob Brown.

Kovalev has never been special and only put up good numbers when playing wiht Lemieux himself and Jaromir Jagr. Other than that, he's never even been apoint a game player. Samsonov had half decent years playing with Joe Thornton, somebody the likes of which we haven't seen in Montreal in 30 years...JEan Beliveau.

Guy Lafleur was special, he could do things for himself, yet had other great players around him.

Samsonov and Kovalev are not special....maybe they could be if they gave a better effort more consistantly, but they don't. Tomas Plekanec isn't good enough to help them. Tomas Plekanec is a 3rd line centre and next year will be a very good one when Bonk leaves.

In no way can we compare Mario Lemieux with Kovalev and Samsonov. The only players you can ever compare Mario Lemieux with are Bobby Orr, Wayne Gretzky and now possible Sidney Crosby. Just special talents who make everybody around them better, ie., Rob Brown.

Kovalev has never been special and only put up good numbers when playing wiht Lemieux himself and Jaromir Jagr. Other than that, he's never even been apoint a game player. Samsonov had half decent years playing with Joe Thornton, somebody the likes of which we haven't seen in Montreal in 30 years...JEan Beliveau.

Guy Lafleur was special, he could do things for himself, yet had other great players around him.

Samsonov and Kovalev are not special....maybe they could be if they gave a better effort more consistantly, but they don't. Tomas Plekanec isn't good enough to help them. Tomas Plekanec is a 3rd line centre and next year will be a very good one when Bonk leaves.

Plekanec is no Bonk, unfortunately. He's a less irritating version of Jan Bulis.

Correct, though: Samsonov is a good, super speedy offensive player (or ought to be, based on his history: Oleg Petrov on steroids; Kovalev is a good offensive player with 'special' skills but without the will to deploy those skills every night, every shift, in the manner that, say, Lafleur did: Stéphane Richer, but nastier.

If you're gonna quote me then please read the post entirely.

I did NOT compare anyone to Lemieux. I simply said that he was "the most obvious player to have made other players around him better ". I did not say like Kovalev or Samsonov have done.

I was eluding to the fact that they are supposed to be so good as individuals that it shouldn't matter who they play with. True all-stars, they are not.

Player that making everyone around better often wears a large "C" on the jersey...

Kovalev and Samsonov are drilled in Russia and in order to get the magic they will need a center that understands them. It should be easier with Samsonov as he's younger but why not just face it. Montreal does only have one center that can play on the higher levels and that's Koivu.

That's why this is the time to sacrifice some future so the Canadiens can become the complete team they almost are.

I wouldn't be surprised if there's two new faces in Montreal after the deadline and maybe 3 or 4 players gone.

Player that making everyone around better often wears a large "C" on the jersey...

Kovalev and Samsonov are drilled in Russia and in order to get the magic they will need a center that understands them. It should be easier with Samsonov as he's younger but why not just face it. Montreal does only have one center that can play on the higher levels and that's Koivu.

That's why this is the time to sacrifice some future so the Canadiens can become the complete team they almost are.

I wouldn't be surprised if there's two new faces in Montreal after the deadline and maybe 3 or 4 players gone.

no offense, but the "schooled in russia" thing is BS. both have been in the league for years, samsonov played junior out west. they've had more than enough time to shake off bad habits. good players adopt (ie. they don't "need" anything). selfish/stubborn players don't.