Andrei Kostitsyn

smon

Just wondering how the development is going for Andrei, I caught a brief mention of him in a TSN article, where the writer said "Kostitsyn is going to have a hard time living up to being the 10th pick in the 2003 draft. He's a decent AHL scorer at this point, but the improvement has been slow."

Is this true? I do know that he was a very high risk player supposedly due to his medical history, but that isn't a problem now. I did take a look at the selections from that draft (which was said to be one of the best in recent times) and quite a number of the players from that draft who were in the first round and taken after him, Ryan Getzlaf, Corey Perry, Jeff Carter, Brent Seabrook, Steve Bernier, Zach Parise and Dustin Brown, etc have all developed quicker.

So is he still projected to be a star first line winger, and how close is he to making it? Or has something gone wrong with his development? It seems a little odd because he was quite heralded at the time and he hasn't really gotten a chance or shown much in the NHL yet.

Just wondering how the development is going for Andrei, I caught a brief mention of him in a TSN article, where the writer said "Kostitsyn is going to have a hard time living up to being the 10th pick in the 2003 draft. He's a decent AHL scorer at this point, but the improvement has been slow."

Is this true? I do know that he was a very high risk player supposedly due to his medical history, but that isn't a problem now. I did take a look at the selections from that draft (which was said to be one of the best in recent times) and quite a number of the players from that draft who were in the first round and taken after him, Ryan Getzlaf, Corey Perry, Jeff Carter, Brent Seabrook, Steve Bernier, Zach Parise and Dustin Brown, etc have all developed quicker.

So is he still projected to be a star first line winger, and how close is he to making it? Or has something gone wrong with his development? It seems a little odd because he was quite heralded at the time and he hasn't really gotten a chance or shown much in the NHL yet.

His development has gone slowly imo, but he has shown improvement every year in all parts of his game. He's finally putting it all together to a degree, but he also still takes shifts off or at least gives the appearance that he's not working as hard as he can. I do think he will be ready next year but I don't know how well he will fit in Carbo's system, but hopefully they will work with him. I don't think he's going to be a 1st liner at this point, personally I feel as though I overrated his offensive skills when we drafted him, but that said every now and then he shows some real impressive flashes of talent. I think it's better to just sit back and see what he can do. We have 7 players on the roster now that were drafted in the past 5 drafts not counting '06 since it's only months ago. So clearly the scouts have done a good job getting draft picks into the nhl and I think we can expect more of the same in the future.

If I recall correctly Andrei was projected to go much higher in the draft 4-5, up until the "medical problems" which ........ah read this article...basically lets give the kid sometime to develop, and hopefully Bob dosen't give him away. Next year you let him play with his bro, and see where it goes.

"Kyle Woodlief is a former NHL scout and is now the publisher of Red Line Report, an independent scouting newsletter subscribed to by 29 of 30 NHL teams and nearly 70% of all U.S. college teams. He is one of the world's leading authorities on NHL draft prospects. Kyle has been filing scouting reports to USATODAY.com for the past four years and will be here Tuesday to answer questions on the draft.

USA TODAY's hockey coverage.

Kyle's column archive.

Subscribe to the Red Line Report.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Duneeden Iowa: Kyle, If you had to choose one player from the 2003 draft to build a team around who would it be? Why? Thanks in advance.

Kyle Woodlief: If I were the GM of an NHL team and I was absolutely and thoroughly convinced that Andrei Kastsitsyn's medical condition (epilepsy) was permanently under control through medication, he would be my choice. For me, the way he plays the game is just full of intensity and desire. It's one thing to have skills (and Kastsitsyn has an excellent skill level), but when you combine that with some real fire and commitment, then you have, in my opinion, the best real gamebreaker in the draft.

http://cgi1.usatoday.com/mchat/20030617001/tscript.htm

Edited by Kjell Dahlin

That article is really encouraging .. until you realize that it is from 2003. Kotitsyn is really great, but I don't know what the guy is talking about when he says fire ... where did it go? He has been on fire recently, but he was a little slack when he was called up this year ... and it was the one complaint that Carbonneau had about him.

Also, if you look at his point production in the AHL it is good, but not stellar. There are many players ahead of him in league scoring ... and he seems to take some games off.

THat being said, I think Andre will be a great player in the NHL, as will his brother. I just hope that it isn't with some other team ... Guy! Give the guy a chance already!!!

also, from that article: "Toronto, Canada: Who's the more exciting player, Zherdev or Kastsitsyn? Is Kastsitsyn's epilesy gonna affect his hockey career?

Kyle Woodlief: Excellent question. In terms of pure dazzling, crowd pleasing moves, Zherdev is the most magical stickhandler in this year's draft, and he'll do things with the puck that will make fans in the stands go "Ooooohh" and "Aaaaahhh." So in that sense, Zherdev is the most offensively exciting player in the draft. But the combination of Kastsitsyn's skills, production, fire, and intensity make him the guy that I personally most like to watch; I admire his passion and playing style so much that I can't take my eyes off him when he steps on the ice.

As for the other part of your question, I don't know if the epilepsy will affect Kastsitsyn's career in the longterm, but I do think it's going to affect is draft status in the short term. He will go lower than he ordinarily would out of NHL teams' (understandable) fear."

Edited by Bacchus

well, dahlin & bacchus, i do hope that things will eventually come out that way... it's been a long time and we can only hope that some players (ie. our guy) take a bit longer to 'mature', 'adapt', or something like that...

GO :hlogo: GO!

Well, you can now add AHL Player of the Week to Andrei Kostitsyn resume.

5G 3A in 4 games isn't too shabby. I hope this kid continues his production and fire-wagon brand of hockey. I'd love to see him called up to the big team.

I do know that he was a very high risk player supposedly due to his medical history, but that isn't a problem now. I did take a look at the selections from that draft (which was said to be one of the best in recent times) and quite a number of the players from that draft who were in the first round and taken after him, Ryan Getzlaf, Corey Perry, Jeff Carter, Brent Seabrook, Steve Bernier, Zach Parise and Dustin Brown, etc have all developed quicker.

It has been slow, but all the players you listed didn't have to learn a new language, a new style of hockey, and a new size of rink. The adjustment period is natural for european players, the length of time is the catch.

He'll be fine and an allstar within 3 years.

He won't be out for too long. I imagine he will hang with his wife and baby for 3 days, and then get back to work ... unless there are complications with the baby ... which I hope there hasn't been.

And he is due back in North America on Sunday.

*prays he gets the call up and plays Sunday*

then you'd be one lucky SOB. kosty and halak, lapierre as well. hey you'd be seeing our 2003 draft :lol:

• 4 weeks later...
Can anyone tell me why Kostitsyn was not up before? I mean we were calling up Milroy ahead of him!! THis`guy seems to have more talent than most of our young players.

Search his name on this board and you will find a thread discussing him over the entire season.

In brief, he didn't make the team out of training camp because there were too many bodies, and then he got a call up and played a little lazy, so he was sent down to get his energy level up. He has now been up for about 10 games.

He was already up last season too ... but it was too early. Kostitsyn has been in our system for about 3 years now!