contemplating a fire sale

MAK

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

everyone is talking about getting prospects etc. we have lots of prospects. we just don't bring them up. what does kosty have to do score a hat trick every game before they give him a chance. we have good young prospects but the trouble is our veteran core have lost interest. We need to replace them with good solid hardworking players who want to win. More like Begin with some offence. Lets take a look at hamilton for some call ups. This team definitely needs a shake up and getting rid of some the core would be a good start. Kovalev Koivu Samsonov Ryder are not getting it done. Someone else mentioned coaching well, we are on our 4th or 5th coach with this group and nobody has been able to motivate them for long. Except mabe for bob last year

Bob Gainey motivated them last year because Bob Gainey is a good coach.

He took a terrible Northstars team to the Cup Finals in 1991, and it would seem he took a terrible habs team last year and had them 1 period away from knocking off the eventual Stanley Cup champion.

I really do not know if I have the patience to sit and wait to find out if Carbo is a good coach.

I find myself caught betweem a rock and a hard place. If Carbo is a good coach, it means our team stinks and if Carbo is a bad coach, then we are screwed because Gainey is patient and will not can him anytime soon.

I really do not think Gainey is that great of a coach his record is pretty terrible.

On the note of the firesale I really do think it may be time for the Canadiens to sell some of the impending UFA's because there are lots fo teams who would give a lot for Bonk, Souray and even Markov and the Habs could still sign Markov in the offseason. A little over a month ago I said no way Souray is traded unless the Habs seriously tank now that they have the move might need to be made,q

I really do not think Gainey is that great of a coach his record is pretty terrible.

On the note of the firesale I really do think it may be time for the Canadiens to sell some of the impending UFA's because there are lots fo teams who would give a lot for Bonk, Souray and even Markov and the Habs could still sign Markov in the offseason. A little over a month ago I said no way Souray is traded unless the Habs seriously tank now that they have the move might need to be made,q

Did you look at his roster in 91?

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leagues...0000371991.html

He took those guys to the finals. The early 90s Stars were a pretty bad to average team.

Trade our team for a bunch of prospects, force them to play the Carbo system despite their offensive talents, Carbo will then bench all of them and say they suck.

A great leader takes ownership and responsibility for his soldiers. Carbo is not a great leader.

For the record, can we PLEASE stop mentioning trading Koivu. Granted he has been playing terrible. But we all know he is not being traded, nor would most of us want him to....so stop it

He's nowhere near good enough to be considered 'untradeable'. However, given his piss-poor production and salary, coupled with his no-trade clause....he's almost untradeable....for completely different reasons. Whether some or most of us...or BG...want to or not. :puke:

Well obviously no one in management wants him gone, if he did they wouldnt have given him a no-trade clause.

Kovalev though earns $250,000 less and could be appealing to a contender (which we're not unfortunately) looking for playoff experience..

They need to start the sale soon, the habs need to remove atleast 7 players off this roster. Please BOb, lets get those phones moving. With each loss the trade value of your players goes down.

Every 3 million +long term contract is not tradable in this league.

The only trades that we will see is for pending UFA's.

So mentionning Koivu, Huet even Kovalev is useless.

The market in the Western Conference is open right now with Dallas opening and giving high pick draft for Nagy. Stuart trade to Calgary is another example of that.

Before all the contenders fixing their needs it's time to shop. First look at their needs.

San Jose is one PP point hard slapshot away from being contenders. They need Souray badly but if St-Louis trades them Brewer before there is no trade there.

Althought is RFA Ryder would bring Vancouver the right handed shooter scorer that they miss.

Detroit doen't miss much except a right handed defenseman, the only one that they have is Chelios all the other are lefties. We have Rivet but they don't need that, nobody needs that.

Nashville doesn't need anything we can offer.

Dallas has already made their move for a scoring winger.

Anaheim may need a big center like Bonk. It's not like they missed centers but they are small upfront.

Minnesota would need a winger like Johnson he would fit right with Lemaire style of hockey. Speed, good 2 way and an upgrade over Radivocevic.

Calgary has already shopped too. Bringing Stuart and Primeau.

I hear so many posters (probably/hopefully just out of frustration) on this board and on others that Montreal should pack their bags and unload their older players right now because we are done for.

I DISAGREE. We almost have the exact same team as last year, except Zed and Bulis are gone, and Sammy and Johnson are in. Last year we provided the future Stanley Cup champions with a hefty fight, and although we lost 4 in a row against them, we had a 2-0 start and I remember reading an article and the Canes basically said that we were one of their toughest tests. This team itself can make the playoffs if they start playing like their usual selves.

Look at the standings, we are in the exact same position as at least 4 other teams (Toronto, NY isles, Carolina, Tampa Bay...maybe ottawa).

In my strong opinion, instead of giving up on our season right now LIKE ALOT OF POSTERS ARE SUGGESTING, Bob should get on the phones and bring us someone who will help in the playoffs, and help the absence of Kovalev and who will put the puck in the net.

I still have complete faith in this team, this team sat in 4th place for a huge chunk of this season...we have had a playoff birth since day 1, and that should show we still deserve it. We are slipping right now but we can get back on track and if Bob can bring us some help that would be great.

Basically, to sum this thread up I just want to say let's have some faith, this team CAN do it, and we are in no shape or form to be "sellers" right now. I think we are buyers. With a few improvements to this team we can make the playoffs, and make serious noise.

GO HABS GO

It's almost fire sale time. I would get what the Flyers got for Forsberg, trade Souray and Markov and even Rivet. If we get 3 or 5 draft chocices as well as some good young players , we will have some competition next year among the youngsters. Time to rebuild- Koivu Kovalev, even Samsonov, their best years are behind them.

It's almost fire sale time. I would get what the Flyers got for Forsberg, trade Souray and Markov and even Rivet. If we get 3 or 5 draft chocices as well as some good young players , we will have some competition next year among the youngsters. Time to rebuild- Koivu Kovalev, even Samsonov, their best years are behind them.

basicly, the only untouchable players are latendresse, higgins, komisarek and price. IM sure gainey would be reluctant about trading prospects like chipchura, grabovski and kostitsyn.

other than that, if the price is right, go for it.

Talk about gutting a team of it's veterans....

Obviously the Canadiens need to bring some more youth into the picture, but good teams are a blend of youth and experience.

Moving Markov would be foolish, keeping him is a definite must if this team hopes to be a serious player. Obviously one or both of Souray/Rivet will be lost given the salary cap limits. I would personally prefer to lose Rivet. He's a character guy, but his speed in the new NHL is questionable? In fact he makes more bonehead mistakes than Souray does, and is often the initial cause of Souray's problems. Although if a trade is to be made its' obvious that Souray would net the most in return.

Koivu should be kept - his leadership and especially his character are absolutely required. The current malaise that has enveloped this team is not his fault, nor is it a lack of his leadership. It is far bigger than one man.....

Kovalev however is a major puzzle - I'm neither here nor there on this guy. If it has been the result of a nagging injury then I can accept his play of late. But only if he steps his game up when he returns. He would certainly net a decent return at the deadline.

Samsonov is a question mark - is he at his current potential, or is there more in this guy than he is currently given. The current waiver situation is certainly to the Canadiens benefit - he can now be sent down for the rest of the season without having to clear waivers for 30 days(correct me if that number is wrong.) So there is an option that allows them to bring someone in and save money against the cap. If I understand the policy correctly that is? However in a cap driven league his current salary is plain and simply far too high for the offensive numbers he is putting up - if it were under $1.5 million then it might be different, especially for trade value!

Possibly the Canadiens can move a few veterans at the deadline, but what team in it's right mind is going to give up its' number one centre or a defensive stud for any of this lot? However in order to gain the two commodities that almost every one else is looking for is going to be high. And the cost for Montreal might be too much of its' future?

Gutting it of all of its' veterans, no matter how frustrated fans may be is not a feasible option. Contenders are not built on youth alone. In every sport, almost every team that takes top honours is a mix of youth and experience. It is the foundation for winning, and Bob Gainey knows that firsthand - as both a player and a manager. They may need some young guys to step their game up to the next level, but those youngsters will most certainly need a solid core of veterans around if they want to grab hold of the 'holy grail' eventually.

And I have faith for the first time in a long long time that there is someone in charge of the office who knows just what he's doing...

BOB WILL BUILD IT....

:clap::hockey: :hlogo: :hockey::clap: :ghg:

Edited by beliveau1

Talk about gutting a team of it's veterans....

Obviously the Canadiens need to bring some more youth into the picture, but good teams are a blend of youth and experience.

Moving Markov would be foolish, keeping him is a definite must if this team hopes to be a serious player. Obviously one or both of Souray/Rivet will be lost given the salary cap limits. I would personally prefer to lose Rivet. He's a character guy, but his speed in the new NHL is questionable? In fact he makes more bonehead mistakes than Souray does, and is often the initial cause of Souray's problems. Although if a trade is to be made its' obvious that Souray would net the most in return.

Koivu should be kept - his leadership and especially his character are absolutely required. The current malaise that has enveloped this team is not his fault, nor is it a lack of his leadership. It is far bigger than one man.....

Kovalev however is a major puzzle - I'm neither here nor there on this guy. If it has been the result of a nagging injury then I can accept his play of late. But only if he steps his game up when he returns. He would certainly net a decent return at the deadline.

Samsonov is a question mark - is he at his current potential, or is there more in this guy than he is currently given. The current waiver situation is certainly to the Canadiens benefit - he can now be sent down for the rest of the season without having to clear waivers for 30 days(correct me if that number is wrong.) So there is an option that allows them to bring someone in and save money against the cap. If I understand the policy correctly that is? However in a cap driven league his current salary is plain and simply far too high for the offensive numbers he is putting up - if it were under $1.5 million then it might be different, especially for trade value!

Possibly the Canadiens can move a few veterans at the deadline, but what team in it's right mind is going to give up its' number one centre or a defensive stud for any of this lot? However in order to gain the two commodities that almost every one else is looking for is going to be high. And the cost for Montreal might be too much of its' future?

Gutting it of all of its' veterans, no matter how frustrated fans may be is not a feasible option. Contenders are not built on youth alone. In every sport, almost every team that takes top honours is a mix of youth and experience. It is the foundation for winning, and Bob Gainey knows that firsthand - as both a player and a manager. They may need some young guys to step their game up to the next level, but those youngsters will most certainly need a solid core of veterans around if they want to grab hold of the 'holy grail' eventually.

And I have faith for the first time in a long long time that there is someone in charge of the office who knows just what he's doing...

BOB WILL BUILD IT....

:clap::hockey: :hlogo: :hockey::clap: :ghg:

The issue is Markov is a free agent at year-end. In the year where he had to play for a long term contract he has been mediocre many games. He has a high market value- we could get high draft choices and good young players.

Souray has a great market value and we could get even more then we get for Markov.

As for Koivu and Kovalelv, I don't think we will get much for them, so it is no use trading them. It is obvious that their best years are behind them. Koivu has led us nowhere past the first round in the playoffs.

Samsonov is untradeable because of his poor year. Maybe we can lump him with another player like Markov.

We could get some good draft choices and young players for Rivet I think

I don't think the right term is a fire sale. I expect good return for these players. A fire sale is what the expos used to do to get rid of players they could not afford

Edited by Strummerman

i agree

we already have enough future in the ahl and the minors.

i say we make a move hat makes us good now

With Kovy and Huet injured, there is no way we can make a move that will upgrade our team.

The only way to upgrade the team was to trade a goalie.

The issue is Markov is a free agent at year-end. In the year where he had to play for a long term contract he has been mediocre many games. He has a high market value- we could get high draft choices and good young players.

Souray has a great market value and we could get even more then we get for Markov.

As for Koivu and Kovalelv, I don't think we will get much for them, so it is no use trading them. It is obvious that their best years are behind them. Koivu has led us nowhere past the first round in the playoffs.

Samsonov is untradeable because of his poor year. Maybe we can lump him with another player like Markov.

We could get some good draft choices and young players for Rivet I think

I don't think the right term is a fire sale. I expect good return for these players. A fire sale is what the expos used to do to get rid of players they could not afford

All three defenseman are UFA's but you can't afford to lose all three just because of that. You target the ones with the most upside to them and sign them. Yes Markov has struggled, but not to the point you give up on him. He has far too much upside for that. He is the most signable of the three given his lack of service in the NHL, as he will command the lesser salary than Souray will(deserved or not!) Therefore a bad trade.

Souray is not going to command as high a price as you'd like him too - simply because of the risk of resigning him. That deal translates to nothing but potential draft picks and prospects. If a young decent prospect comes back in return then a deal is possible, but don't be surprized if Gainey hangs onto him. So far the talk about his leaving is mere speculation. Only he knows what he's going to do once the season ends. And the question that everyone who speculates here needs to ask is, would you give up a lot to get him when you may not be able to resign him?

I like Rivet's character, but unfortunately he is not what this team needs to win! Too slow and too many mistakes that seem to go unnoticed by so many who want to throttle Souray for them. His return on a trade is very much middle of the road though as he is certainly not a major player as far as this years trade bait goes.

I agree on Samsonov - tough time moving this guy so you have to think he's here for a while, like it or not.

Hopefully he turns his game around and can be moved at some point?

Kovalev would probably get you some decent young prospects in return if a team looking for that piece to the puzzle comes calling. That deal might be worth it as he can be such a moody individual at times?

Koivu is not a true goal scorer - never has been. However as a play maker he is an excellent #2 centre. His leadership qualities and especially his gritty character are unquestionable. Those who do should think twice about this man. He fits the bill as an excellent veteran for a young team looking to fulfill its' potential. All teams need this type of leadership to be a serious contender. Proof of this is in the fact that guys like Gary Roberts and others of that ilk are almost always being sought by teams trying to make a Cup run.

As for a firesale, well I have to agree that that is not a likely scenario or is it an appropriate term for what needs to be done here. Anyone who has followed Bob Gainey through the years should know by now that this man rarely panics. That is definitely not a part of his M/O. Any moves he makes at the deadline will be well thought out, and will be part of a definite long range plan. He will not mortgage the future, and he will keep the veterans most suited to making this team better.

p.s. Fire sales are for teams who can't afford to keep anything they have, or like the Expos ownership who were truly idiots at that time. They had a potential champion in their laps and they blew it up... :puke: :puke: :puke:

If Markov leaves it will be a disaster. He is the only competent 2 way defenseman we have.

Who will move the puck out of our zone? Dandy/Cube/Komi? We think we are struggling now.

He is the only priority as far as I am concerned. If Bonk and Johnson can be had for a good price good.

Souray. way to steep.

All three defenseman are UFA's but you can't afford to lose all three just because of that. You target the ones with the most upside to them and sign them. Yes Markov has struggled, but not to the point you give up on him. He has far too much upside for that. He is the most signable of the three given his lack of service in the NHL, as he will command the lesser salary than Souray will(deserved or not!) Therefore a bad trade.

Souray is not going to command as high a price as you'd like him too - simply because of the risk of resigning him. That deal translates to nothing but potential draft picks and prospects. If a young decent prospect comes back in return then a deal is possible, but don't be surprized if Gainey hangs onto him. So far the talk about his leaving is mere speculation. Only he knows what he's going to do once the season ends. And the question that everyone who speculates here needs to ask is, would you give up a lot to get him when you may not be able to resign him?

I like Rivet's character, but unfortunately he is not what this team needs to win! Too slow and too many mistakes that seem to go unnoticed by so many who want to throttle Souray for them. His return on a trade is very much middle of the road though as he is certainly not a major player as far as this years trade bait goes.

I agree on Samsonov - tough time moving this guy so you have to think he's here for a while, like it or not.

Hopefully he turns his game around and can be moved at some point?

Kovalev would probably get you some decent young prospects in return if a team looking for that piece to the puzzle comes calling. That deal might be worth it as he can be such a moody individual at times?

Koivu is not a true goal scorer - never has been. However as a play maker he is an excellent #2 centre. His leadership qualities and especially his gritty character are unquestionable. Those who do should think twice about this man. He fits the bill as an excellent veteran for a young team looking to fulfill its' potential. All teams need this type of leadership to be a serious contender. Proof of this is in the fact that guys like Gary Roberts and others of that ilk are almost always being sought by teams trying to make a Cup run.

As for a firesale, well I have to agree that that is not a likely scenario or is it an appropriate term for what needs to be done here. Anyone who has followed Bob Gainey through the years should know by now that this man rarely panics. That is definitely not a part of his M/O. Any moves he makes at the deadline will be well thought out, and will be part of a definite long range plan. He will not mortgage the future, and he will keep the veterans most suited to making this team better.

p.s. Fire sales are for teams who can't afford to keep anything they have, or like the Expos ownership who were truly idiots at that time. They had a potential champion in their laps and they blew it up... :puke: :puke: :puke:

Why can't we afford to lose all 3 if we miss the playoffs. We will miss the playoffs with all 3 in the lineup. What will happen if we lose all 3? Will we miss the playoffs next year? Time to rebuild. Markov has been with the team over 5 years and the team has gone nowehere with him. Souray and Rivet same thing.

I agree Souray should not be worth as much as I say he is. But if Forsberg merits that much considerig his record the last 2 years meanwhile Souray has been lighting up the league offensively the last 2 years, I think a team that feels they need that offensive defenceman to win it all will probably offer a lot. I think San Jose could be that team.

As for Rivet same thing. He is past his prime. We won't get as much for him as Souray and Markov, but we should get something worthwhile.

Kovalev has a large contract as well and is signed after this year. We won't get much. We may have to get another problem player off another team that is highly paid.

Koivu is the great houdini. Disappears at important times and shows up at others.

If Markov leaves it will be a disaster. He is the only competent 2 way defenseman we have.

Who will move the puck out of our zone? Dandy/Cube/Komi? We think we are struggling now.

He is the only priority as far as I am concerned. If Bonk and Johnson can be had for a good price good.

Souray. way to steep.

Like I said if Markov is competent and we finish in tenth place, what happens if we trade him?

Edited by Strummerman

Why can't we afford to lose all 3 if we miss the playoffs. We will miss the playoffs with all 3 in the lineup. What will happen if we lose all 3? Will we miss the playoffs next year? Time to rebuild. Markov has been with the team over 5 years and the team has gone nowehere with him. Souray and Rivet same thing.

I agree Souray should not be worth as much as I say he is. But if Forsberg merits that much considerig his record the last 2 years meanwhile Souray has been lighting up the league offensively the last 2 years, I think a team that feels they need that offensive defenceman to win it all will probably offer a lot. I think San Jose could be that team.

As for Rivet same thing. He is past his prime. We won't get as much for him as Souray and Markov, but we should get something worthwhile.

Kovalev has a large contract as well and is signed after this year. We won't get much. We may have to get another problem player off another team that is highly paid.

Koivu is the great houdini. Disappears at important times and shows up at others.

Like I said if Markov is competent and we finish in tenth place, what happens if we trade him?

Obviously the Habs can't afford to sign all three of these guys. Anyone with any understanding of the economics of the current NHL should be able to fathom that one. Losing Rivet and to some extent Souray doesn't cause me any real concern. If good value can be extracted then I'm in favour of it. Please Surprize us all Mr. Gainey! The more the merrier.....

However it would be very stupid if they lost all three of them because they are in a funk, and in danger of missing the playoffs. Markov is the youngest of these three and without a doubt has the most upside to his game. He is the one guy most people here agree that needs to be in the long range plans of this team. You don't gut your defense for the future. You rebuild it from the core up and Markov is the best piece to keep.

And blaming the fact they are not progressing, or are about to miss the playoffs on Markov is to be polite, extremely questionable(some would say ridiculous?) This team has no 5 on 5 offense - is that Markov's fault? No, the problem lies elsewhere...

Few guys on this team should fall in the untouchable category given the current situation. However Markov is one who does qualify if this team hopes to become a contender sooner than later. Totally gutting the defense because a bunch of fans aren't happy with the way things are going at this point amounts to sheer lunacy.

Everyone is clamoring for a young stud to anchor a solid blueline - this guy has the most potential to be a part of it amongst the current young prospects the Canadiens have. Losing him would be a giant step backwards....

I won't speculate further on Koivu as there is tooo much crap running around out there and he deserves better than this. Kovalev is just an enigma - so much potential yet so mysterious?

And like you said, yes Souray isn't worth what he'll get money wise, but that is reality. If he is truly being dangled for trade bait then what he yields in return should be an interesting show to watch as it unfolds.

It will be an interesting run leading up to the trade deadline.....

Obviously the Habs can't afford to sign all three of these guys. Anyone with any understanding of the economics of the current NHL should be able to fathom that one. Losing Rivet and to some extent Souray doesn't cause me any real concern. If good value can be extracted then I'm in favour of it. Please Surprize us all Mr. Gainey! The more the merrier.....

However it would be very stupid if they lost all three of them because they are in a funk, and in danger of missing the playoffs. Markov is the youngest of these three and without a doubt has the most upside to his game. He is the one guy most people here agree that needs to be in the long range plans of this team. You don't gut your defense for the future. You rebuild it from the core up and Markov is the best piece to keep.

And blaming the fact they are not progressing, or are about to miss the playoffs on Markov is to be polite, extremely questionable(some would say ridiculous?) This team has no 5 on 5 offense - is that Markov's fault? No, the problem lies elsewhere...

Few guys on this team should fall in the untouchable category given the current situation. However Markov is one who does qualify if this team hopes to become a contender sooner than later. Totally gutting the defense because a bunch of fans aren't happy with the way things are going at this point amounts to sheer lunacy.

Everyone is clamoring for a young stud to anchor a solid blueline - this guy has the most potential to be a part of it amongst the current young prospects the Canadiens have. Losing him would be a giant step backwards....

I won't speculate further on Koivu as there is tooo much crap running around out there and he deserves better than this. Kovalev is just an enigma - so much potential yet so mysterious?

And like you said, yes Souray isn't worth what he'll get money wise, but that is reality. If he is truly being dangled for trade bait then what he yields in return should be an interesting show to watch as it unfolds.

It will be an interesting run leading up to the trade deadline.....

I wont get into a discussion of all your points but I disagree Markov has more upside. I think we have seen the best of Markov- His offensive skills are in decline. He is a good sound defenceman but nothing exceptional. It would be stupid to keep Markov if we finish 10th this year. If we have Souray, markov and Rivet this year and finish 10th, what will we do with only Markov next year???

I don't agree with Saint Koivu. I look at his record and the facts. The facts are we have not gone past the first round with Koivu. The facts are he has slightly more points in his whole career then Sundin has goals. These are the facts.

Kovalev is not an enigma, he plays as well as the players surrounding him. Put him with a Lemieux or Jagr or Messier and he fills the nets. He didn't fill the net when he played with Koivu.

I wont get into a discussion of all your points but I disagree Markov has more upside. I think we have seen the best of Markov- His offensive skills are in decline. He is a good sound defenceman but nothing exceptional. It would be stupid to keep Markov if we finish 10th this year. If we have Souray, markov and Rivet this year and finish 10th, what will we do with only Markov next year???

I don't agree with Saint Koivu. I look at his record and the facts. The facts are we have not gone past the first round with Koivu. The facts are he has slightly more points in his whole career then Sundin has goals. These are the facts.

Kovalev is not an enigma, he plays as well as the players surrounding him. Put him with a Lemieux or Jagr or Messier and he fills the nets. He didn't fill the net when he played with Koivu.

What Kovalev have you been watching - this guy has the talent to be a far better player than he has ever delivered on a consistent basis. He shows up for a game or two, sometimes just a shift here and there from time to time. Hockey pundits everywhere with far more insight into the game than you or I ever will have say the same thing about this guy. Nobody can figure him out. So wake up to the fact far more experts out there say he's a mystery... Even with those players he was inconsistent as far as his total effort went.

As for Koivu being unable to lead them out of the first round - wake up, you have to have a team good enough to get out of it. And for the record, this team defeated Boston twice recently in the first round with Koivu in the lineup!!! Get your facts straight dude... And Koivu was out of the lineup last year with a potential career ending injury. Kind of hard to lead a team to the second round from your hospital bed if you ask anyone?

Markov - far more positive upside than Souray and Rivet. Younger, plays better defensively and has a decent offensive side to his game. Plus he will come cheaper than Souray and Rivet. For goodness sake the whole teams offense has slipped badly this year - can't truly judge Markov by that aspect alone. Kind of hard to get points as a defenseman when forwards aren't making any real use of your best asset - a great breakout pass. His length of service factors into just how much he will be able to command in this contract. 2 years from now and he will be expensive, but not just yet. So keeping him is the obvious move.

Boy am I ever glad Gainey is in charge when I hear so many strange trade suggestions.

Edited by beliveau1

What Kovalev have you been watching - this guy has the talent to be a far better player than he has ever delivered on a consistent basis. He shows up for a game or two, sometimes just a shift here and there from time to time. Hockey pundits everywhere with far more insight into the game than you or I ever will have say the same thing about this guy. Nobody can figure him out. So wake up to the fact far more experts out there say he's a mystery... Even with those players he was inconsistent as far as his total effort went.

As for Koivu being unable to lead them out of the first round - wake up, you have to have a team good enough to get out of it. And for the record, this team defeated Boston twice recently in the first round with Koivu in the lineup!!! Get your facts straight dude... And Koivu was out of the lineup last year with a potential career ending injury. Kind of hard to lead a team to the second round from your hospital bed if you ask anyone?

Markov - far more positive upside than Souray and Rivet. Younger, plays better defensively and has a decent offensive side to his game. Plus he will come cheaper than Souray and Rivet. His length of service factors into just how much he will be able to command in this contract. 2 years from now and he will be expensive, but not just yet. So keeping him is the obvious move.

Boy am I ever glad Gainey is in charge when I hear so many strange trade suggestions.

I am seeing the same Kovalev that played for Pittsburgh on a line with Jagr and Straka, and on a powerplay with Lemieux. The same Kovalev that scored 40 or more goals with the Penguins.

It seems you are contradicting yourself with Saint Koivu. You say Kovalev does nothing with the habs even though he has the same cast of players to play with that Koivu does. Then the ready made excuse that Koivu cant lead the team because of the players surrounding him? Doesn't Kovalev have the same playes surrounding him??? Kovalev has proven with a great cast of players surrounding him he can score over 40 goals like he did with the Penguins and can win a Cup like he did with the Rangers. Koivu has proven nothing. Other then winning the first round he pulls a houdini act in the second round like he does in the second half of the season year after year. Koivu is always injured. What's the excuse this year?

As for Markov, once again I ask what will he do next year alone when the Habs are in 10th this year with Souray and Rivet accompanying him???

Edited by Strummerman