Habs just picked up someone off waivers

Habsterr

what trade ? Leighton was placed on waivers yesterday ... and has 24 hours to be claimed .. that's the deadline they were talking about ... he was claimed by the habs before the 24 hour period.

and if they're was a deadline then I guess teams won't be able to send players to the minors ? only ones that wouldn't have to clear ? again then whats the point of having a waiver system. that means that Leighton & Garth Murray are stuck on the Habs NHL roster and can't be sent down for the rest of the year ??? doesn't make sense to me.

No, there was a waiver deadline at noon today. there were multiple players claimed by many teams. Any player put on waivers yesterday were either taken, or cleared at noon today.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

gotta love deadline day... 3 pages on a frickin waiver goalie. :)

after the deadline a player does not need to pass through waivers to go down. Also I believe rosters expand, so there is not so much of a crunch that necessitates sending a guy down.

in the CBA in Article 13.2 ( from NHLPA.com ) says that the waiver period shall start on the 12th day before the clubs season starts until the last day of that clubs playing season. I would have copied and pasted it but the pdf has a security password that prevents copying .. you can only print it. :wacko:

No, there was a waiver deadline at noon today. there were multiple players claimed by many teams. Any player put on waivers yesterday were either taken, or cleared at noon today.

That is what I thought.

The point of waivers is for teams to pick up players that 1 team doesnt want anymore but another team does. The point isnt to just nab up any player and then assign him to your AHL team. If you try that, the original team you stole him from can steal him back. Thats not what waivers are for.

Habs can send Halak down and not have to clear waivers. Maybe Bob is considering putting Abby on waivers to see if anybody wants to pick up the rest of his salary. I highly beleive Abby is done in Montreal. I still cant figure out why Abby wasnt pulled against the Laffs. Carbo must be a closet masichist. :lol:

I like him already. :D

You mean a sadist? :P

I still have faint hope that Gainey will grab a real goaltender for the stretch run. There are no real centers so the only place to improve the team is in the net right now.

Biron went for a 2nd rounder (although it is the 31st overall pick), so Belfour will be cheaper. 3rd round pick? Sounds like cheap insurance to me given how sucky the draft is.

I bet Theo's available, and even cheaper!

:D

in the CBA in Article 13.2 ( from NHLPA.com ) says that the waiver period shall start on the 12th day before the clubs season starts until the last day of that clubs playing season. I would have copied and pasted it but the pdf has a security password that prevents copying .. you can only print it. :wacko:

Check out section 13.12 (i) and below. After the trade deadline, waiver moves between the affiliate and the nhl team are restricted. No players can be claimed off waivers after this point.

Players cannot change teams after the waiver and draft deadlines until after the season.

Check out section 13.12 (i) and below. After the trade deadline, waiver moves between the affiliate and the nhl team are restricted. No players can be claimed off waivers after this point.

Players cannot change teams after the waiver and draft deadlines until after the season.

Nice research.

Leighton is a pretty good talent to pick up for nothing. He has posted better AHL numbers than Danis or Halak and has some NHL experience as well. Same age as Danis, but costs half as much to play at the NHL level. Basically he is a replacement for the injured Huet, short term at least. Halak hasn't exactly been a star in the NHL even though he has won 3 of 4 games. He has the worst goals against average and save percentage of the three goalies who have played for the Habs this year. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Leighton stay in Montreal and Halak return to Hamilton.

Leighton is a pretty good talent to pick up for nothing. He has posted better AHL numbers than Danis or Halak and has some NHL experience as well. Same age as Danis, but costs half as much to play at the NHL level. Basically he is a replacement for the injured Huet, short term at least. Halak hasn't exactly been a star in the NHL even though he has won 3 of 4 games. He has the worst goals against average and save percentage of the three goalies who have played for the Habs this year. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Leighton stay in Montreal and Halak return to Hamilton.

Leighton's headed for Hamilton. The three games Halak's played are simply not enought to start comparing goals against and save percentage numbers. He tore up the AHL, he needs more time with the Habs to see what he can do.

If i'm reading correctly in section ( j ) that only players recalled after the "deadline" can go back without having to pass though waivers ... but wouldn't that mean that Leighton would have to pass waivers to be sent down since he was not called up ?

and see what I get for not reading the whole thing ! :lol:

HALAK: GP Min GA EN SO GAA W L T Svs Pct

2005-06 Hamilton Bulldogs AHL 13 786 30 2 3 2.29 7 6 0 379 0.927

2006-07 Hamilton Bulldogs* AHL 281618 54 0 6 2.00 16 11 0 742 0.932

LEIGHTON:

2001-02 Norfolk Admirals AHL 52 3114 111 4 6 2.14 27 16 8 1269 0.920

2002-03 Norfolk Admirals AHL 36 2184 91 1 4 2.50 18 13 5 948 0.912

2003-04 Norfolk Admirals AHL 18 1081 33 0 1 1.83 10 7 1 411 0.926

2004-05 Norfolk Admirals AHL 41 2318 78 0 7 2.02 20 16 3 910 0.921

2005-06 Rochester Americans AHL 40 2316 124 3 2 3.21 15 22 1 978 0.887

2006-07 Philadelphia Phantoms* AHL 5 270 7 0 0 1.56 2 0 2 128 0.948

From HOCKEYDB.COM

If i'm reading correctly in section ( j ) that only players recalled after the "deadline" can go back without having to pass though waivers ... but wouldn't that mean that Leighton would have to pass waivers to be sent down since he was not called up ?

and see what I get for not reading the whole thing ! :lol:

Yeah, I am not sure if he can be sent down or not, but I am not sure he was "up" when put on waivers. It will be interesting to see if they have to keep him up. They do have expanded roster room, so they can just leave him up this year and not play him.

As for reading the whole thing, unless you are a lawyer, that document is about as readable as assembly instructions for a Chinese made bicycle... :blink:

Yeah, I am not sure if he can be sent down or not, but I am not sure he was "up" when put on waivers. It will be interesting to see if they have to keep him up. They do have expanded roster room, so they can just leave him up this year and not play him.

As for reading the whole thing, unless you are a lawyer, that document is about as readable as assembly instructions for a Chinese made bicycle... :blink:

haha :lol:

I guess we'll find out or not on the day the headline says " Michael Leighton is on waivers "

HEADS UP PEOPLE:

0:28 to go til it's over but remember that as long as the faxes make the NHL desk in time they can be approved later. This means that sometimes a trade annoucement might take until 6 ot 7 EST.

Edited by ATHLÉTIQUE.CANADIEN