Game Thread | Canadiens de Montréal vs. Thrashers d'Atlanta | 03/08/07

Spider-Man NL

nope not 5 million... he ain't nowhere near the top D in the game I don't care what his offensive stats say.

he's a force on the powerplay... liability on the backend.

i find it hard to imagine he will replicate the kind of year he has stats wise.

i wish he would have been traded for prospects.

jaro the hero... lmao

He won't replicate this success, but this debate will not be settled until the Summer at earllest.

If he does not resign and we miss the playoffs it was a terrible gamble.

The only way I feel it is the right decision is if they reup him for 4 Million a year....but that is not reality!

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WOW.....that's all I can say is WOW

The funny thing is that I was looking at our 4 lines tonight and thinking it was a solid lineup....and it was. Plus we came out flying and outplayed them for a while. 2 quick goals, and the team loses its steam.

Whether or not they were Halak's fault, you need a goalie to make those saves and keep your momentum. For Bob to send us in this playoff race with this goaltending is absolutely DISGRACEFUL!!

It is blatantly obvious tonight (and other nights lately) that goaltending is the main difference....a few key saves here and there, and these are different games. We're not getting that anymore.

I think all of the members on this site who argued with me and others that it was not a big deal for Bob to not get a goalie should serve themselves up a plate of crow tonight. I can think of a handful of goalies that were rumoured to be dealable for a mediocre price, that could have saved this team a season....and a lot of pride.

What a shame...

I'll say it again...

these are the joys of armchair gm'ing, coaching, etc...

the wonder of safe criticism, free from any consequences of decision-making... along with the added freedom to extoll of the 'truth' of the situation, the 'way' to the solution and the 'light' in the darkness to lead the blind... ^_^

enjoy it...

GO :hlogo: GO!

Edited by shortcat1

Just meant a generic name. Somebody with no emotional attachment by us, media or Management

Still curious as to when you think Carbo should have been fired. This is his first season as head coach, how many times do you see head coaches get fired in their very first season with a new club? Knee-Jerk reactions such as firing a coach prematurely are not something 90% of GMs in the league will often do.

I'm guessing you were of the opinion that Julien should have been fired last season only to lament this year how well NJ is doing. :blink:

It wasn't sarcasm at all.

I don't blame Gainey. He cannot fire his handpicked guy. A guy HE groomed after 1 year. This team was one of the best teams over the first 40 games.

And this team is built with young players for the future. It is not integral for this team make the playoffs. I just wish Toronto had blasted them just before the deadline. He might have packed it in if that was the case.

He has work to do, but I do not blame him for this mess. Shit happens. I will judge his 3 years not 40 games.

If the Leafs lose they are 1 point out of 8th with 13 to go, it is not the end of the world yet!

I will say this. I hope history repeats itself in the pattern of 1992 like Chicoutimi Cucumber mentioned. :P

Aha, a fellow greybeard!

Well, Serge Savard DID blow up the core of the 92 team, shrewdly dealing Courtnall and Corson - both head-cases - for Bellows and Damphousse, both of whom were crucial to the 93 Cup run.

Gainey will need to do some analogous tinkering. The goal, in this case, is not to go from pretender to champ, but from bottom-dwelling suction eel to contender.

I honestly think the players here have some talent; what we need is to re-sign Souray and to ACQUIRE A FIRST LINE CENTRE. (For chrissakes, we've needed help at C for years now!!! No more!!!!) :angry:

WOW.....that's all I can say is WOW

The funny thing is that I was looking at our 4 lines tonight and thinking it was a solid lineup....and it was. Plus we came out flying and outplayed them for a while. 2 quick goals, and the team loses its steam.

Whether or not they were Halak's fault, you need a goalie to make those saves and keep your momentum. For Bob to send us in this playoff race with this goaltending is absolutely DISGRACEFUL!!

It is blatantly obvious tonight (and other nights lately) that goaltending is the main difference....a few key saves here and there, and these are different games. We're not getting that anymore.

I think all of the members on this site who argued with me and others that it was not a big deal for Bob to not get a goalie should serve themselves up a plate of crow tonight. I can think of a handful of goalies that were rumoured to be dealable for a mediocre price, that could have saved this team a season....and a lot of pride.

What a shame...

Bob SHOULD NOT have traded young talent for a goalie. No indeed.

And don't give me this 'Belfour for a 5th round pick' horseshit.

So no apologies from this quarter.

I don't blame Gainey. He cannot fire his handpicked guy. A guy HE groomed after 1 year. This team was one of the best teams over the first 40 games.

And this team is built with young players for the future. It is not integral for this team make the playoffs. I just wish Toronto had blasted them just before the deadline. He might have packed it in if that was the case.

He has work to do, but I do not blame him for this mess. Shit happens. I will judge his 3 years not 40 games.

If the Leafs lose they are 1 point out of 8th with 13 to go, it is not the end of the world yet!

I think i had the wrong read on you. You seemed to be a very impatient fan with your John Lewis comment but i think i misunderstood what you were getting at. My apologies.

all i can say, gumper, is that your perspective is a breath of fresh air in the 'fog of fury' that's filling the habsworld environment...

Edited by shortcat1

Let's remember that this team HAS been decimated by bizarre illnesses and an injury to its #1 goalie.

Firing Gainey would be Ronald Corey all over again. Firing Carbo would merely tell these players that it's OK for them to quit on coaches and to play half-hearted hockey - as well as reinforce the impression that Montreal is a circus.

The smart move is to not panic but to stay the course - EXCEPT that this core has proven itself to be losers. It needs tweaking. But in all seriousness, I won't say blow everything up. Two or three shrewd moves will make all the difference.

Still curious as to when you think Carbo should have been fired. This is his first season as head coach, how many times do you see head coaches get fired in their very first season with a new club? Knee-Jerk reactions such as firing a coach prematurely are not something 90% of GMs in the league will often do.

I'm guessing you were of the opinion that Julien should have been fired last season only to lament this year how well NJ is doing. :blink:

I don't lament Julien being fired, and I do not care how he is doing this year.

He got fired and it lit a spark under their ass. It worked.

Coaches in this league have been fired for way less. This is one of the worst collapses I have ever seen.

Burns has been fired 3-4 times and goes to a new team and has success. It does not make him a bad coach, he just loses the team. Carbo has not shown any problem solving ability. He benched Rivet, Sammy etc before benching a guy who tries every 5 games in Kovalev.

This team makes the same errors over and over again. They play a defensive system yet are terrible defensively. What should I look at and have hope that he is a good coach?

Our lone bright spot is the PP. He does not coach that. What exactly has he proven that I should look forward to next year?

At least Toronto and Boston are loosing right now...

Let's remember that this team HAS been decimated by bizarre illnesses and an injury to its #1 goalie.

Firing Gainey would be Ronald Corey all over again. Firing Carbo would merely tell these players that it's OK for them to quit on coaches and to play half-hearted hockey - as well as reinforce the impression that Montreal is a circus.

The smart move is to not panic but to stay the course - EXCEPT that this core has proven itself to be losers. It needs tweaking. But in all seriousness, I won't say blow everything up. Two or three shrewd moves will make all the difference.

Totally, the 92 team was a disgrace. They traded Courtnall for Bellows and Corson for Damphousse and BOOM Stanley Cup! Something is wrong in the room. It is not a coincidence that the Kovy story came out. It may not be the truth, but it sounds possible. Bob makes a couple of shrewd moves and the Kids continue to mature and you never know

to tell you the truth, i don't really give a rat's butt if the canadiens lose every game from now to the season's end... i won'd lose sleep over it...

they'll remain the team of my heart, the one i'll cheer next year, the year after and till i'm no longer able to cheer at all for lack of breath...

i've not given up on the year... it's just not a major issue for me to see them make the playoffs... i've not given up on the team... i'll watch each and every game that i can till their last one this year be it the 7th of april or sometime in early/mid june...

to tell you the truth, i don't really give a rat's butt if the canadiens lose every game from now to the season's end... i won'd lose sleep over it...

they'll remain the team of my heart, the one i'll cheer next year, the year after and till i'm no longer able to cheer at all for lack of breath...

i've not given up on the year... it's just not a major issue for me to see them make the playoffs... i've not given up on the team... i'll watch each and every game that i can till their last one this year be it the 7th of april or sometime in early/mid june...

I will care if we lose every game for the rest of the year, and i will most definitely lose sleep over it, but that won't change the fact that at the end of the day ill end up sitting at my computer and listening to the game on the radio or, on somewhat rare occasions, watch the game on TV.

I lost sleep over this team for 2 months. I have zero expectations of them now. If they lose every game the rest of the year it will not surprise me. A surprise run is just gravy now

I envy your optimism. I have long thrown the towel on this season. I'm focusing on the next draft and every loss we have and combine to opponents wins better our draft position.

I was worried in early january when everybody else was telling me to take things into perspective in spite of them losing a bunch of games to the cellar dwellers. Looks like they were actually better teams than the habs.

SADLY, IT'S OVER NOW

hmmm..... i don't understand... :blink::blink::blink::blink::blink::blink::blink::blink::blink:

And don't give me this 'Belfour for a 5th round pick' horseshit.

So no apologies from this quarter.

Whatever man....do you think this is good for anyone right now? We could be making a run for the playoffs, but instead we are getting EMBARASSED night after night. Have some pride.

And speaking of horseshit....I am sick of hearing about how Bob is such a genius for trading away our future or youth. I am certainly not suggesting that we should trade any core youth or blue-chippers.....but it is not horseshit as you suggest, that we could obtain a goalie with some experience and confidence without mortgaging the future.

We have youth, we have picks...sparing mid-round picks will NOT mortgage our future....I didnt say 5th rounders...but a 3rd and a mid-range prospect or 2 who will never score more than 10 goals...I could live without..Especially if it meant making the playoffs, and not getting embarrassed..

I'm glad you're happy with our goaltending situation right now, but I'm not. I think our standards are miles apart!!

i wonder where atlanta stands in the grand scheme of things...

they're certainly a powerful looking team