Game Thread | Canadiens de Montréal vs. Thrashers d'Atlanta | 03/08/07

Spider-Man NL

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am in vacation in Cuba just heard the result.

And the feud.

WTF

I do not core how, just win.

And giving up, after the road trip ot unitl thr last breath.

there is no feud...

the goaltending wasn't lifeless... halak did what a 21 year-old rookie could do with all the right around his nets turnovers that he had to deal with... i don't blame him... even if he was weak on a goal or two, he's still a very small part of this loss... very, very small... anyone who disagrees with that is a malcontent negatively biased individual...

GO :hlogo: GO!

Well that was 2 and a half hours i'll never get back.

Do I even need to comment on how bad the D is? How is Gorges good enough to play on a good Sharks team, but can't make the top 6 on the worst defensive team in hockey? How is this possible. I beleive Gorges is the only one who can skate and pass at the same time.

Just when you think the gutless, lazy slugs couldn't play worse, they put out that effort. I think it's official, they are currently the worst team in hockey. Atleast Philly plays hard.

The offense was completely non existant, they got out worked on 2 5 on 3's. Pathetic.

Goaltending soft but it wasn't a factor with that effort.

Did any habs even throw a body check?

I hear a FAT LADY SINGING .......O-LAY or is it say good-bye. Habs fans should start sing good-bye at the drop of the puck next home game. Better yet. Just not show up. A big empty molson center. If the team doesn't show up then why should we.

I wonder if that could be arranged. No fans ...no media...###### they would probably start winning.

I watched the game at a buddies house....

I dont know what to say

I know what you can say. We have a top ten pick at the moment!!!!!!! I think this is the first time in my habs Fan career I'm actually looking at that. I hope they keep dropping even more for a good pick.

Only thing sucks is even the draftees are praying to god the habs don't pick them.

THIS SUCKS!!!!!

The good news are : Toronto and Boston lost too

The bad news is : we won't make the playoffs anyways

We have a top ten pick at the moment!!!!!!! I think this is the first time in my habs Fan career I'm actually looking at that.

Actually we drafted 5th in 2005 (Carey Price)

Edited by Punkned

Oh well another day another loss. It sucks waiting so long in between games and then having to watch that.

I really do not know what to say, ok well I'll give it a shot anyway.

1. Kostitsyn will start next season with the Habs

2. Kovalev will start next season as a habs

3. Carbonneau will start next season coaching the Habs

4. Gainey will still be the GM next year

5. The goaltending was not great tonight but few goalies can stop that many blunders and turnovers resulting in players left wide open.

The fact that all the other teams lost keeps the Habs in the race, they still have a chance to make it and I will still hold out hope but my head says it will be an early golf season.

1. Kostitsyn will start next season with the Habs

I'm pretty sure of that too. He's one of the key prospects on who Gainey wants to build.

2. Kovalev will start next season as a habs

It seems highly probable because :

a ) Gainey likes him

b ) Even if we wanted to trade him, we couldn't (he's overpaid)

3. Carbonneau will start next season coaching the Habs

That is a certainty. He was hired for stability. Gainey said in an interview lately that it will take a couple of years for Carbonneau to become a very good coach. Gainey known when he hired him that he'd make biginers mistakes and that it would take time for Cabonneau to learn the job, so Carbo is here to stay, unless he makes a major mistake.

4. Gainey will still be the GM next year

Stability seems to be the new philosophy in Montreal. Good think. With 30 teams that wanna win, you need a long term development plan to build a contending team, which requires stability. I think Pierre Boivin understands that.

5. The goaltending was not great tonight but few goalies can stop that many blunders and turnovers resulting in players left wide open.

Poor Halak. I hope he won't loose his confidence, he has a Calder cup to win the spring :-)

The fact that all the other teams lost keeps the Habs in the race, they still have a chance to make it and I will still hold out hope but my head says it will be an early golf season.

That's my feeling too...

Edited by Punkned

One more thing regarding our youth movement...I think there is somethin to be said for adding some experienced, talented, successful veterans. A lot of people are all about the young guys being developed, but I think they need to be surrounded by some older, but still talented veterans.

Koivu would be the only guy who fits this bill, for me. I cant imagine Kovy is much of a mentor. Who else is there really?

There's a reason why teams like DET, NJ, DAL, etc. who don't typically have high draft picks, still manage to develop good players in their system. They are surrounded by these players that I'm talkin about, year after year..

The reality is, there is less difference in the long run, between the 1st and 5th rounders.....A lot of it is their development. A lot of their development comes from being part of a successful and talented team.

These guys need to be complimented with established players. Whether this should have been addressed last offseason, this trade deadline, or in the comin offseason...I believe the young guys will need it to reach their full potential.

This may need to be at the expense of some draft picks.....but God knows we wont be developing all of these picks into core players....we need to use some for the core itself.

Some of you guys need to remember this when you constantly preach about not giving away youth, etc...There's more to it than that...

Much as I disagree with some of your ideas, I think you're right about this, in general. Koivu and Souray are the only obvious 'mentors' on this team. But I can't think of a young gun I'd trade to bring in, say, Trevor Linden. I understand the reasoning behind the Ninimaa trade, but future deals of that sort should indeed consider the leadership dimensions, and I'd try to make sure that any UFA signing had a certin leadership profile, I guess...

There's also the scenario of the 'young team on which everybody develops at the same time,' which was jersey's ORIGINAL model and can also work.

There's also the scenario of the 'young team on which everybody develops at the same time,' which was jersey's ORIGINAL model and can also work.

I think the NJ model was more like 'bore the f**k out of every fan in the league, destroy hockey, destroy the way it is played with the trap, dupe a bunch of no-nothing swamp-dwellers into thinking this is sport, alienate 3/4s of potential fan base in US, drive the league so deep into the toilet it has to be restructured after a strike, ride the hell out of this goalie and encourage expansion so talent becomes diluted and we still only need 1.00000001 goals/game to win'

Or wait, that's the current model...

Souray and Koivu mentors? What are you thinking? Aren't they like minus 40 between the 2 of them. Souray talks a good game, but certainly doesn't play one. On the ice what has koivu done this year?

Leaders. mentors whatever lead by exapmle both on and off the ice, on the ice these guys are brutal.

Currently lapierre is about the only habs who plays hard every night.

Just a thought on how bad this team really is: The top 4 scorers are almost MINUS 70. Most of the teams in the league combined aren't minus 70. Priesing from Ottawa has a better plus minus then the entire Habs team combined.

I would be shocked if they win 2 more games this year.

there is no feud...

the goaltending wasn't lifeless... halak did what a 21 year-old rookie could do with all the right around his nets turnovers that he had to deal with... i don't blame him... even if he was weak on a goal or two, he's still a very small part of this loss... very, very small... anyone who disagrees with that is a malcontent negatively biased individual...

GO :hlogo: GO!

I have to agree with Shortcat

What fued??? STUPID press in Quebec just want to make a headline with questionable information.

How can anyone blame Halak when he had to play Defence and Goaltending. He was their best puck handling defenceman last night!

I am now sure glad Souray is a UFA after this season because some idiot is going to offer him $5-6 million to play for them. It won't be Montreal, HooRay!

K-Rex has an excuse, he is young..his only excuse. Outside of K-Rex and Markov, the rest of the defenceman should look to work elsewhere as they continue to stink. Also, I think the forwards have to do a better job in their own end as the Samsonov bonehead lose the puck play could of been avoided.

That was a total team effort in that loss, not just one individual. Well on to the next game and hopefully Montreal will play a little smarter for a WIN!

I would just like to say, I told you so to all the haters on here that laughed and chastised me for predicting the Habs would finish out of the playoffs this year. I still remember at the beginning of the season when everyone was so optimistic about a bunch of no-talent prospects and overpaid free agent signings. I said from the very beginning of the year that this was not a good team and lo and behold we aren't!

The unfortunate part of this is that, we will have these exact same discussions in the offseason, and again people on here will think we are Cup contenders, almost like because we got an extra month of golf in we are better hockey players. I will again state here like I did in October Souray should have been traded. I don't care if they traded him in Sep, Nov or Feb, he should have been traded this year because now, I absolutely guarantee that he is gone in the off season - for nothing.

All this In Bob We Trust garbage is most likely going to end now as well. He has done nothing productive for this franchise, and patience will be wearing thin, I say he has one more year and then he will be gone. This team has actually gotten worse in the last 3 years. All this potential that everybody has talked about, and how we are building on our farm system is shot to hell, because every player we have brought up in the last 4 years has proven to be a dud, with the exception of players noone expected anything from (Plexs). This franchise is in a sad predicament.

I have been reading all the forums for the last month, and just feeling depressed because as Habs fans we now talk about sliding into the playoffs, and how satisfying that would be....sad sad state.

I would just like to say, I told you so to all the haters on here that laughed and chastised me for predicting the Habs would finish out of the playoffs this year. I still remember at the beginning of the season when everyone was so optimistic about a bunch of no-talent prospects and overpaid free agent signings. I said from the very beginning of the year that this was not a good team and lo and behold we aren't!

The unfortunate part of this is that, we will have these exact same discussions in the offseason, and again people on here will think we are Cup contenders, almost like because we got an extra month of golf in we are better hockey players. I will again state here like I did in October Souray should have been traded. I don't care if they traded him in Sep, Nov or Feb, he should have been traded this year because now, I absolutely guarantee that he is gone in the off season - for nothing.

All this In Bob We Trust garbage is most likely going to end now as well. He has done nothing productive for this franchise, and patience will be wearing thin, I say he has one more year and then he will be gone. This team has actually gotten worse in the last 3 years. All this potential that everybody has talked about, and how we are building on our farm system is shot to hell, because every player we have brought up in the last 4 years has proven to be a dud, with the exception of players noone expected anything from (Plexs). This franchise is in a sad predicament.

I have been reading all the forums for the last month, and just feeling depressed because as Habs fans we now talk about sliding into the playoffs, and how satisfying that would be....sad sad state.

Yeah...but it's absurd to argue that 'these are the REAL Habs.' This team is clearly way off, something is profoundly wrong, with the chemistry, or with something else. The closest parallel is the 1992 collapse. It's just as wrong-headed to get all hysterical over a dramatic melt-down as it is to start predicting Cups when a team plays over its head.

On paper, no one is wrong to say that this is the most talented Habs team in a decade. That may not be saying much, but it was still reasonable grounds for optimism that we'd take a step forward this year; maybe not to contenders but to 'dark horse' status.

I also think you exagerrate about our young players. You can say we're in a sad state, but many organizations would love to have those players - as Gainey's account of the trade offers he received suggests. But I'll concede that at this stage of the game, everything looks black. All I'm saying is that it's not really that bad - some intelligent tweaking in the off-season and this team could be much better.

Souray: again, keeping him was a big mistake, unless we sign him at a rate that doesn't absolutely shatter the boundaries of good sense, in which case it was smart. Of course you may be one of the 'Souray sucks because he's not Chris Pronger' crew - I'm never sure what to say to people who think that a 20-goal, 50-point hulking defenceman is a liability.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

The problem is on paper talent is fine but it doesn't take into account the character, drive and a winning attitude into account.

Which is most of the problem with the team.

No pride, no effort, no physical play or edge to there game. Players talk the talk (Souray) but can't walk the walk. They are the softest team i have seen in years.

I was optimistic at the beginning of the year, by about december I knew Souray and Kovalev should be moved. Had we done that and got decent return I am fairly certain we would have made the playoffs. Ohwell there is always next year.