JMMR

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TSN is reporting...

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=200082&hubname=

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Just in case TSN tries to deny this... I made a copy of the official post... here it is...

Kovalev: Vertigo may threaten career

Alexei Kovalev

Alexei Kovalev

TSN.ca Staff

3/14/2007 1:44:32 PM

Montreal Canadiens forward Alex Kovalev said Wednesday that his vertigo may be career threatening.

It was speculated on Tuesday that Kovalev's vertigo was flu-related, but he says that is not the case. Kovalev sat out Tuesday's game against the Islanders.

Kovalev, who has not ruled out playing this weekend, took part in an optional skate on Wednesday. He says he felt better than he did on Tuesday, but noted that he still feels ''woozy'' if he turns his head too quickly.

In 63 games with the Canadiens this season Kovalev has 14 goals and 28 assists, including five goals and 14 assists on the power play.

Goaltender Jeff Hackett retired from the NHL in 2004 because of vertigo.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Edited by Chips

Now one has to question his recent injury, is/was it related to the present condition?

Also he states he might have to retire....sounds to me like he's had this condition for a while; if so why wasn't this diagnosed earlier?

Seems funny to me that it's just coming out now.....after a win without him in the lineup.

Wow your fast. I was on the tsn site when that listing came up. At first I couldn't believe my eyes.

But all things considered. This explains much of his woes this season. If this is true we are seeing the last of a great player; he will be missed by hockey fans everywhere.

I'm certainly going to keep him in my prayers and thoughts, this cannot be easy for him to come to terms with...

holy cow that would suck big time.

while he's not my favourite player, I hope the man will overcome this.

the symptoms he has reminds me that my father had this about 10 years ago, he couldn't walk straight as if he was drunk 24/7. fortunately, it was temporary.

if he has to retire, it would take a huge problem out of gainey's hand. I think he's yound enough for his (possible) to count against the cap.

first things first: get better Kovy.

My dad had it about 5-7 years ago he was not able to sit up or focus at all. Something to do with the inner ear and a liquid inside which controls all of your balance and focus.

To me this explains a lot... I've often wondered why he kept falling; always thought he was trying to draw penalties, but it could have been vertigo all along. This is really devastating I cannot even think about this again... First Hackett and now Kovy.

Kovalev is the type of player who will climb the highest mountain if it would save his career. He's a warrior that way. It would take a Mack truck to hit him to get him to retire. So, if there is any surgical solution or rehab available he's the type who would rather suffer through it versus hanging up the skates and retiring the axe.

Get well Kovy

I think it is a blessing in diguise. I think that Kovalev has lost the passion for hocket. It may even be a ruse. If he is out, this will free up a roster spot for the youngsters. It may affect our chances this year, but we don't really have much of a chance this year anyway, and the experience that the youngsters will get will be invaluable.

I think it is a blessing in diguise. I think that Kovalev has lost the passion for hocket. It may even be a ruse. If he is out, this will free up a roster spot for the youngsters. It may affect our chances this year, but we don't really have much of a chance this year anyway, and the experience that the youngsters will get will be invaluable.

this thought did cross my mind. if this is a effort to put Kovy on the permanent injury list. it would free up a roster spot to bring up another young player from Hamilton. It would also give Kovy time to heal and make another come back attempt.

when all is said and done. if this is true and fact or just an attempt by the team to create a spot for another body. Its certainly a hell of a gutzy move by Kovy to put this out there in the media and on the minds of fans. It cannot be easy for a guy with so much pride as ATHLE'.CAN mentioned to stand up and admit he is hurting bad that it could end is career.

Wishing you a fast recovery Kovy! GO KOVY GO!

There was some speculation about Theo's broken heel. And Mulder was in charge then. It may not be a ruse by Kovalev, but by Kovalev and the team. Makes it easier for him to walk away, continue to get paid, and not spread any bad press.

Kovalev was on his way out anyway. The Ch is no where near close to his heart ... unless he keeps his wallet in his breast pocket.

Love Kovalev in theory ... just didn't feel any passion from him very often. Also, those last comments he made couldn't have sat well with anyone. He was thinking of asking for a trade?!? That is like admitting you were thinking of robbing a bank ... the thought does count for something.

If he does have vertigo, I hope it isn't serious. Having to retire due to injury bites.

On a less unhappy note. Does anyone feel that the bell center should stop playing U2 - vertigo; on the slight chance that the players are actually catching vertigo by just listening to the track.. :)

ok sorry bad joke but seriously what in the world causes one to get vertigo in the first place?

Edited by Chips

Yes, this thought did cross my mind. If he was to retire, his money would be paid out by insurance and the team wouldn't be on the hook for the cap hit. Knowing the kind of guy Kovalev is, if he felt that he couldn't physically play on the level he once did, then he probably wouldn't want to play anymore. I doubt that is the case here though, and I'd be highly surprised if Kovalev was forced to retire, he mentioned as being a possible career ender, but there's a greater probability he'll be back soon.

I think that too...

You don't need a medical degree to know that Kovalev is "unbalanced" and that "his problems are in his head". Maybe this is the most convenient way out of a deteriorating situation for both club and player.

The ironic thing is that if the Habs replace Kovalev with Kostitsyn he will have a hard time blaming the move on ethnic bias, or the team's "defensive mentality". :P

I think that Koivu will be the next to go. His time has passed.

My wife's mother developed it several years ago - she still has recurring episodes of it to a lesser degree.

Not much she could do about it either - time basically? Nothing seemed to work in her case(stubborn old coot to start with :D )

My only concern is, knowing what effect it has on somone and the slow process recovery can be, that he recovers - I hope for the best for him!!!! :hockey::clap::hockey:

True or false - let the rumours and the media speculation begin in full force :wacko::wacko::wacko:

TSN has now removed it completly from its web page!

wow the crap has hit the fan.. did someone make a big boo boo!?!!@?#?

this could be yet another media.. run around intent on bringing shame to our beloved habs!

time to surf all the rumour sites and media posts...

this better not be another slam on our habs!

GO HABS GO!

Just in case TSN tries to deny this... I made a copy of the official post... here it is...

Kovalev: Vertigo may threaten career

Alexei Kovalev

Alexei Kovalev

TSN.ca Staff

3/14/2007 1:44:32 PM

Montreal Canadiens forward Alex Kovalev said Wednesday that his vertigo may be career threatening.

It was speculated on Tuesday that Kovalev's vertigo was flu-related, but he says that is not the case. Kovalev sat out Tuesday's game against the Islanders.

Kovalev, who has not ruled out playing this weekend, took part in an optional skate on Wednesday. He says he felt better than he did on Tuesday, but noted that he still feels ''woozy'' if he turns his head too quickly.

In 63 games with the Canadiens this season Kovalev has 14 goals and 28 assists, including five goals and 14 assists on the power play.

Goaltender Jeff Hackett retired from the NHL in 2004 because of vertigo.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Edited by Chips

I maintain that the Kovalev of this season has not looked anything remotely like the Kovalev of last season - who some people may have been disappointed by but who remained a PPG player and a consistent threat, often scoring clutch and/or spectacular goals. While the problem MAY be mental, I've felt all along that he's looked like damaged goods...whether it was his knee, his elbow, or this, something physical has been reducing Kovalev to a shadow of himself.

If he can recover physically, we may see a Bonk-like resurgence next season. So I wouldn't be too quick to wave him off. On the other hand, in pure hockey terms, that $4.5 mil could be better invested...so I see both sides of this one, I suppose.