Kovalev: Vertigo may threaten career

JMMR

Vertigo eh?

Has he been flying in his plane at all? Can't that make you more prone to vertigo?

I always feel a little funny after flying for a few days...But that's Jet Lag probably....

Anyways, who wants to bet that Kovalev returns to the lineup vs the Leafs on Saturday and destroys them. :lol:

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if he has to retire, it would take a huge problem out of gainey's hand. I think he's yound enough for his (possible) to count against the cap.

Only players who sign a contract at or above the age of 35 count against the cap after retirement. At least that's what I remember reading when Malakov and Snow retired.

I'm shocked that TSN would post an article making it look like they interviewed Kovy and he actually made such a comment...

"Montreal Canadiens forward Alex Kovalev said Wednesday that his vertigo may be career threatening." thats taken right from the link that TSN posted at 1:40pm and then removed late this afternoon.

Sounds like they were fishing... Yet another media, mess up to make something out of nothing. I'm sure Healey was behind this mess up. It wouldn't be the first time he made a dumb ass comment or remark about the habs.

Edited by Chips

I think that Koivu will be the next to go. His time has passed.

The guy was a game away from tying the record for most multipoint games in december and he (and the whole damn team) goes cold for a few months and now his time has passed?

I think your posts give ME vertigo, vertigo makes a person want to vomit right?

Edited by OneSharpMarble

Kovy seems to be losing it. This will almost certainly be his last season in Montreal, and maybe in the NHL.

Pretty sure that Gainey tried to deal Koivu along with Kovalev at the trade deadline.

60 points in a season from your #1 centre and highest paid player doesn't cut it. He isn't getting any younger or better, either.

Pretty sure that Gainey tried to deal Koivu along with Kovalev at the trade deadline.

Pretty sure you make shyt up as you go.

60 points in a season from your #1 centre and highest paid player doesn't cut it. He isn't getting any younger or better, either.

He is surrounded by rookies and players with questionable talent, he has single handedly won us many games. This teams fate has hinged on his presence and he does lead well. No he isn't playing great right now but he puts up points almost every game. Seriously the guy hasn't been given much to work with but he is out there every night.

I honestly think you are the worst poster on this forum.

The only way this is Kovalev's last season is if he retires due to injury. The guy's respected by his teammates, the coaches and most importantly, the GM. Is Kovy 100% untouchable? No. Will Gainey shop him around? I doubt it. He's as valuable as anyone else to us.

It's back on TSN's website at this point - 6:15pm

It's basically the very same article as it was originally :huh: :?- :blink::unsure:

Doesn't sound like it is insinuating that he might have to retire? I think people are jumping to conclusions here...

(what's with all the personal insults guys - try to show some class no matter how much you might disagree?)

Edited by beliveau1

Until something from the media or the team is released the general rule is "wait a week". Does he have an infection? Can it be treated? Time will tell but don't stay up too late tonight or any other night waiting for news on this.

Edited by ATHLÉTIQUE.CANADIEN

A bit of info about Kovy's condition. Vertigo is a symptom, not a diagnosis. It is a symptom of many different things. It sounds like they are describing BPPV or Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo. This is a disease of the inner ear where particles of calcium get broken off from the balance sensors and, basically, screw up the signals from this system to the brain.

This is provoked by head movements, and can last minutes. As such, it would be hard for Kovy to do his usual dipsy doodling...

It is treatable with head maneuvers that try to re-attach these broken particles. Also with medication for dizziness

By listening to him on TSN he said the doctors first thought it was an inner ear infection (which can be worse and longer lasting than positional vertigo) . They also said that he had a milder form of this positional vertigo, for example, it sounds like Jeff Hackett had a worse form with a worse prognosis.

In summary, I get the feeling that Kovy's career is nowhere close to in doubt, but unfortunately the weekend is. I'm not sure how long he's had this or has been treated for it, so lets cross our fingers, as this is a HUGE weekend...but I wouldn't expect to see the same Kovy if he were to play

Stress, gotta be the stress. Look what it did to BG's hairline. At least Guy could book him an appointment at Haifax.

Get well soon, or be noble and save us cap room.

Health first. I bet he's dressed for one of the Pit/Laffs games.

No that wouldn't, but he's on pace for 67, not 60 and that would be the 2nd highest point total of his career. He's still leading the Canadiens in points, which is exactly what I would expect from the highest paid player on the team.

As for Kovalev, why bother as some suggested buying him out. Let him play out another year, chances are Gainey will not exactly have free agents lining up who want the 4.5M Kovalev's salary would take up. I don't exactly like Kovalev's on and off playing style, but at least he isn't afflicted with Samsonov's "woe-is-me" attitude.

I believe Kovalev will play at least one of the two games this weekend, and he will not be bought out at the end of the year.

As saying that Gainey tried to trade Koivu that is pretty insane I would say. He signed him last year to a long deal because Gainey knows having steady leadership is important. Koivu will be the longest serving captain in Canadiens history.

some of you guys amaze me. If Kovalev was on any other team you would be demanding we trade for him. One thing about habs fans we like to crucify our stars. I remember it happening to Guy at the end of his career in Montreal. Nothing changes. Kovalev is the most gifted player on the ice. I would be hoping that he recovers from this latest setback and comes out full guns a blazing. It's no wonder he was THINKING about asking for a trade he si the scapegoat for the team. Support not destroy that is the key.

I'm not too optimistic about kovy's return saturday vs. the Leafs, given he's not well enough to make the trip...he'd have to make a big improvement in one day.

Too bad, as we could really use him

If Kovalev was on any other team you would be demanding we trade for him.

Not me. No way. I GUARANTEE that if he was bought out after we had all crucified him verbally and the Leafs signed him we would :puke:

Playing Toronto, he would give us fits.

I don't exactly like Kovalev's on and off playing style, but at least he isn't afflicted with Samsonov's "woe-is-me" attitude.

Where have you been for the past couple of weeks? Kovalev has been whining more than the rest of the team put together.

Where have you been for the past couple of weeks? Kovalev has been whining more than the rest of the team put together.

Aah, no he hasn't....as a matter of fact, I think he dealt with the rumors of his Carbo-bashing and his 4th line demotion pretty well.

You are un-informed

This is not a ruse. Confirmed. Stop with the conspiracy theories, they're a pain. How would you like it if you died and no one believed it, thinking it was all a big setup? :)