Tootoo :puke:

JMMR

I didn't catch it, what happened bro?

Tootoo hit Modano

Robidas turned around to confront him

Tootoo spins quick and hammers him in the face with his glove

I beleive Robidas had to be taken off on a stretcher.

When youtube comes up I will post.

They should give him 10 games, or whatever the Preds have left.

Time to send a message to the cheap-shot artists.

don't hold your breath...

if he gets a handful, i'd be surprised...

GO :hlogo: GO!

Edited by shortcat1

I hope they wind up and throw the book at him..... cheap shot and it needs to be dealt with! :puke:

Quite high, and unprecedented for a punch. An overreaction, but more unfortunate. Maybe 2 games. But I think he got 5 since he's Tootoo.

I mean, when Souray jumped Colby Armstrong after Armstrong hit Koivu, no one called for a suspension. He didn't give Armstrong any time to confront him, he just wanted to beat him up, defending himself be darned.

Hope they're more consistent in the future. This sends a mixed message. It's OK if you're defending the guy that got hit, but not if you're defending yourself.

Edited by saskhab

"I don't know what he was supposed to do. All he could see was a player coming at him with his arms up and certainly looking like he's ready to enter into some form of confrontation. I think Jordin did what I think everybody would do, and he reacted and threw a punch."

- Predators GM David Poile after forward Jordin Tootoo was handed a five-game suspension.

Edited by les_glorieux

You are right PTG.

But personally I could not care less what the US thinks about hockey. I wish Bettman would understand this as well, Americans should take a look at the sports they love before judging hockey.

On a regular basis baseball pitchers throw 90 MPH fastballs at players, if anyone ever got hit in the face with that they could die. Then there are all the football and basketball players who seem to be arrested on a weekly basis.

If Jannsen gets 3 games for his late cheapshot on Kaberle, Emery gets 3 for swinging his stick wildly at Lapierre's head, Armstrong gets zero for his late headshot on Letowski... this is barely a 1 game sentence. Tootoo gets the book thrown at him because the media is looking at hockey violence again and the league is under the microscope. There's no consistency. All 3 incidents I mentioned at the top were much more dangerous, and much more avoidable as well.

The average US citizen doesn't mind violent sport. The NHL believes it's a "family" sport, probably aided by the fact that Disney owned a team for a while. Now that they're out, it's time to drop that attitude. The fanbase in every US market is traditional male, white, and working class. Why they keep trying to make the game less appealing to them is ridiculous, and a major reason why the sport has lost ground in the marketplace.

I see nothing wrong with what Tootoo did, kind of shocked any real hockey fan could.

What hasn't been talked about has been the lumber chop by Modano, and I don't want to play the star card, but what the heck...he gets not even a penalty.

This would have been a sucker punch if buddy came in gloves off ready to fight. No, he intended to hit Tootoo from behind and got caught, I feel no sympathy at all for the player, he got injured that is unfortunate.

So in summary:

Modano = star; No suspension for the lumber chop.

Tootoo = Physical, emotional player defends himself; 5 games

Modano held back and barley even hit him. But you are correct he could have caused some killer pain if he followed throgh.

Robidas has five fights which was not a lot and the fact that he did not have his gloves off when skating towards Tootoo does count for something.

WHat I do wish was that the NHL would stop punishing players for the result of the crime but rather the crime itself.

Yup, Sportscenter here did a story on a kid who got called up to the majors, got to his first at bat, and then was drilled in the head on the first pitch he saw.

He got post concussion syndrome and hasn't been the same since.

then there is Pacman Jones the guy who brings 80k to a strip club then gets into a fight starts shooting and paralyzes a guy.

Just hockey still gets the foreign treatment here, and since its never covered by anyone in the media here, the only time it is, is when an incident happens.