Will Habs make Playoffs?

Welcome to HabsWorld, sheldon_sniper_44!

I think a hot rookie goaltender can really inspire a team, now with Halak and #### in the dressing room, hopefully some of their youthful excitement will rekindle the desire to play among our veterans. If that happens, and we can take three or four points from the next two games against Boston, then yes I believe the Habs will win a spot in the playoffs.

IMO, This team is in a similar situation but is better than the 2001 team that finally made it.

however it's younger and has a crappier goalie...

here is that 2001-2002 lineup

http://hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leagues/sea...0000452002.html

so I think we have some chances... if Saku and Souray can carry us there. if our best players can play like they are the best, the youngsters will follow.

winning attitude.

The Habs have the most favourable set of games this week and now only 4 points shy of Tampa for 6th I do believe they can make it.

It will most likley be a crapshoot till the end with all 5 or 6 teams in the hunt till April 6th or 7th.

the fact that they've got less games to play goes against them. Toronto & the Rangers have played 1 less and the Islanders have played 2 less. On the other hand, the Hurricanes & the Lightning have the same number of games but 2 & 4 points more, respectively.

So, things are very much possible but... and there's always the but... there are 4 other teams trying to do the same thing as the Canadiens and they all have either games on hand or points 'on hand'.

Bottom line, I say yes, they will make it but it'll be another of those last minute into the back door things.

GO :hlogo: GO!

they need someone to take the lead in the net. while halak looked good against Toronto, I need to see more out of him.

I also like koivu's reaction after he scored his goal. he showed something I haven't seen fro him in a long time: passion.

That final game of the season at Toronto is going to decide it I think.

That might very well end up happening...

Wouldn't that be a huge slap to the face if it was an "us-or-them" situation on the last day, the last game, and we came out on top in their city? :lol:

I say No, they absolutely will not make the playoffs. The main reason will be goaltending. We are the only team in this little race to the finish without our starter. That will be the difference.

I say No, they absolutely will not make the playoffs. The main reason will be goaltending. We are the only team in this little race to the finish without our starter. That will be the difference.

Carolina- CAM WARD IS INJURED

Islanders- Dipietro INJURED

So no they are not the only team. And I truly believe Huet will be back a lot sooner than you think.

I would like to say yes, and if they play like they did against the Leafs the other night I will say yes. The thing that worries me still is the terrible inconsistency with this team from shift to shift and period to period. If Carbo can stick with his lines, play his best players, Halak plays like he did against Toronto and we get some luck we can be there. I really hope it won't come down to the last game of the season but I think it might. I'm not sure if I will be able to watch it will be way way to hard on the nerves.

I'll be at the Ottawa/Montreal game next Friday, March 30th... just a few rows behind the players bench. It looks like that will be a huge game so it should be pretty exciting. We may be in 11th but we're only 4 points out of 6th. We've got as good a shot as anyone else in this bunch. We just need a few players to get hot and stay hot. I think we'll make it...

Carolina- CAM WARD IS INJURED

Islanders- Dipietro INJURED

That's True. I was under the impression both Ward and Dipeitro were just DTD though.

The Habs have the most favourable set of games this week and now only 4 points shy of Tampa for 6th I do believe they can make it.

It will most likley be a crapshoot till the end with all 5 or 6 teams in the hunt till April 6th or 7th.

Funny how I almost feel more confident of being able to pass TB more than Carolina or NYISL

I'll be at the Ottawa/Montreal game next Friday, March 30th... just a few rows behind the players bench. It looks like that will be a huge game so it should be pretty exciting. We may be in 11th but we're only 4 points out of 6th. We've got as good a shot as anyone else in this bunch. We just need a few players to get hot and stay hot. I think we'll make it...

Me too... I'll be 10 rows back from the Sens bench. Hopefully that game will still matter by then :D

I don't think they'll make it, simply because mathematically, there are about 6 teams all vying for the last two spots, and most other teams either have more points than us or more games left to play. I think they'll end up in 9th or 10th, and we'll end up with a mid range draft pick and no play-offs to show for it. :angry:

I'd like to believe otherwise, and I HOPE otherwise, but truly, really, I don't think they'll get in.

We can make the playoffs ; as long as Halak is solid ; the last time he had a bad game it wasn't his fault (poor D).

Habs have been palying well the last 3 games (and would have beaten Pittsburgh, the hottest team, if it wasn't for Abby's christmas gifts).

The do's :

-Solid goaltending from Halak

- Forecheck with 2 forwards (the Begin + Lapierre du is great in this department)

-Play for 60 minutes

-Keep the Begin-Lapierre-Kovalev line ; I like it

The don'ts :

-Stupid penalties

-Giving the puck away in our D area

Vaigneault's success this season has made me think of the 1999-2000 team that got eliminated with a loss in the final game of the season. Not really comparing the two, just remembering the highs and lows.

If anything, this team reminds me of '02-'03. Overpaid underachievers galore, promising youth, shoddy goaltending.

I suppose I should answer the question.

I gave up on this year's team long ago (around the first weekend of Feb), but they are winning me back, mainly with the improved play of late by Ryder, Higgins, Latendresse, and the huge effort from Kostitsyn. Halak still frightens me, but I'm more comfortable with the choice at this moment. I still think he's too green for this role, but maybe he's naive enough to not let it affect him.

So will they? Too many ifs at this point. I'm surprised they're still within a point, to be honest. And I do think they can make up the difference even with fewer games to play than most of their opponents.

We'll be first round fodder for sure, though. But I pray that Huet is at least back in goal for that.

Win both vs. NYR.

Take 2 of 3 from Boston.

Mop up Wash.

Win game 82.

And pray for the luck of the Irish.......

Oops..... A couple of days late.