Which Habs AHL blueliner arrives in the bigs next?

habscout

Next Habs Defenceman to graduate from the AHL  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Given the possible openings on the Habs blueline for the 2007-08 season, which Habs defenceman prospect has the best chance at earning a spot with the Habs?

• J.P. Cote
    • Ryan O'Byrne
    • Andrew Archer
    • Mathieu Biron
    • Andre Benoit
    • Danny Groulx
    • Dan Jancevski

O'Byrne hasn't done anything yet. What would make you think that he deserves a promotion ahead of Biron? No NHL experience, no WJC experience, no All Star nominations in his career. Biron has all of those things, plus he is producing much more in Hamilton at the present time. It isn't really a sign of "disrespect" to acknowledge that Biron is ahead of O'Byrne at this point.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

O'Byrne hasn't done anything yet.

No NHL experience, no WJC experience, no All Star nominations in his career.

Biron has all of those things, plus he is producing much more in Hamilton at the present time.

It isn't really a sign of "disrespect" to acknowledge that Biron is ahead of O'Byrne at this point.

:huh::blink:

Oh, and by the way, count me in for that bet as well.

O'Byrne hasn't done anything yet. What would make you think that he deserves a promotion ahead of Biron? No NHL experience, no WJC experience, no All Star nominations in his career. Biron has all of those things, plus he is producing much more in Hamilton at the present time. It isn't really a sign of "disrespect" to acknowledge that Biron is ahead of O'Byrne at this point.

O'Byrne has been better then Biron in Hamilton this year. Biron has been better offensively but overall O'Byrne has been really solid all year long. He continues to be one of the Dogs best defensemen, getting a lot of playing time in all situations.

The nhl experience part I agree with but the wjc's and all stars don't matter at this point. The league has changed since Biron played in it. He's on the slow side and has been above average in Hamilton but there's little chance he will be a regular with us next year or hopefully anytime soon. His slap shot is nice but we need guys that can skate better.

O'Byrne will likely have another 2 seasons in Hamilton, where I could see him getting some games in with the Habs if all goes well. For a rookie O'Byrne has been impressive and hopefully he can continue to build off this, cause we surely need to develop more D prospects.

I don't know how many games you see, but I've seen most of Hamilton's games this year. I think Biron could fill in as depth if injuries hit but I can't see him being a regular imo.

But this is coming from someone that wants Kostitsyn and Grabovski gone next year, which won't happen either.

O'Byrne has been better then Biron in Hamilton this year. Biron has been better offensively but overall O'Byrne has been really solid all year long. He continues to be one of the Dogs best defensemen, getting a lot of playing time in all situations.

The nhl experience part I agree with but the wjc's and all stars don't matter at this point. The league has changed since Biron played in it. He's on the slow side and has been above average in Hamilton but there's little chance he will be a regular with us next year or hopefully anytime soon. His slap shot is nice but we need guys that can skate better.

O'Byrne will likely have another 2 seasons in Hamilton, where I could see him getting some games in with the Habs if all goes well. For a rookie O'Byrne has been impressive and hopefully he can continue to build off this, cause we surely need to develop more D prospects.

I don't know how many games you see, but I've seen most of Hamilton's games this year. I think Biron could fill in as depth if injuries hit but I can't see him being a regular imo.

But this is coming from someone that wants Kostitsyn and Grabovski gone next year, which won't happen either.

What do you think about Dan Jancevski? Does he have any chance?

You've seen them all in action, who do you think is the closest Hamilton D to full time service in the NHL?

Simple question,

If Biron has so much upside, how come we got him for Patrick Traverse? (Who we got for free.) How come no other GM in the league wants either of these two oversized , experienced but still young former NHLers?

Simple, becuase they're soft and can't skate or play solid D. Nothing against Biron, but if he's the best thing in our system, then our system is empty. I

I'd hardly call Traverse young. He is older than Craig Rivet. I still think that trade, which was pretty one sided in Montreal's favor, was tied into the later deal for Rivet. Or possibly Souray or Markov if Montreal had been willing to deal either of those two. Brian Burke was compaining that Gainey never notified him that Rivet was available, and Bob said that he had been talking with San Jose for several weeks proor to the deal. So I have a feeling that Wilson may have made the Biron deal with the understanding that the Sharks would have first crack at one of Montreal's impending UFA defensemen.

I highly doubt any of the guys on this list will make a permanent jump to the NHL next season.
You are probably right. I have to think that the Habs will make a strong pitch to sign Konstantin Korneev and Alexei Emelin for next season. If those two come over, they will most likely step ahead of the defensemen playing in the AHL. Mathieu Carle is a darkhorse as well. Some of the Q bluliners have had pretty good success stepping into the NHL at a young age. Marc-Edouard Vlasic and Alexandre Picard are two of the better rookie blueliners in the NHL and neither was that highly touted coming out of the junior ranks. Kris Letang, Keith Yandle, and Luc Bourdon all spent some time in the NHL this season as teenagers.

I'd hardly call Traverse young. He is older than Craig Rivet. I still think that trade, which was pretty one sided in Montreal's favor, was tied into the later deal for Rivet.

I wouldn't call swapping two career AHLers one sided in anyone's favor... except maybe Hamilton. We really only made that deal to accomodate Patrick Traverse who I believe has recently bought a home in the Boston area knowing he would be in Worcester for a while, except that Gainey pulled him off waivers just to send him to Hamilton.

Well, Mathieu Biron may not play for the Habs next season, since he is an unrestricted free agent, but he will definitely play at least part time in the NHL. He is not "a career AHLer". Traverse is pretty much done, although he may hang on as an experienced insurance policy for some NHL team in case they have 3 regular defensemen go down at the same time. Which can certainly happen. Oilers called up undrafted free agent Sebastien Bisaillon recently in just such a situation. I was sorry that the Habs didn't sign Bisaillon after having him in camp a couple of years back. He will be similar to Marc-Andre Bergeron, I think.

As for the original question, Ryan O'Byrne is the only potential NHL regular in the group, but I'm not sure the Habs will give him a chance right out of camp next season. He might have to spend some more time in Hamilton.

J-P Côté might earn the 7th spot, but I really hope we won't be stuck with him as a regular because with almost guaranteed spots for Bouillon, Dandeneault, Streit, and Gorges, our defense is not looking too strong.

One UFA I wanted us to sign after the lockout was Roman Hamrlik, and he will be available again. I think he would be a great replacement (and improvement) over Sheldon Souray when we can't resign him this summer. With Markov, Komisarek, and Hamrlik, our top 3 would be solid. Ideally I would like us to sign a quality veteran, a Sydor-type player, but that won't happen. We could keep Mark Streit, one of Bouillon/Dandeneault, and leave room for youngsters (Emelin, O'Byrne, Gorges, Côté) to fight for the 6th and 7th spots.

For "safety" pourposes, we could probably find a Todd Simpson type veteran for the minimum salary to act as a reserve defesenman (in case all youngsters choke, or we get unlucky with injuries). Sort of like Niinimaa this season, just not for 2.5 millions.

Edited by CerebusClone

What do you think about Dan Jancevski? Does he have any chance?

You've seen them all in action, who do you think is the closest Hamilton D to full time service in the NHL?

I think that Jancevski has been better then Biron and might be the Dogs best defesemen this year but he's on the slow side like Biron although he's more physical and better in his own end imo. I think only O'Byrne will see full time service, he has 2 more years before having to clear waivers so we'll see how he does. Add Carle next year and he's another possible full time nhler.

Benoit has shown improvement each year and he leads the team in scoring for defense but he's got to get stronger and play better in his own end. He was brought here by Savard and has another year before having to clear waivers. At this point I don't think he could be a full timer but he is good on the PP and moves the puck well.

Archer has had so many injury problems, he plays a safe game but is on the slow side. Hasn't shown any offense upside. Decent ahler when healthy but we are going to be loaded in RD's since we have drafted mostly RD's the past few years. (O'B, Gleed, Fischer, Carle, Korneev, Archer, Komisarek, Streit, Cepek)

Gleed is a guy I like and he's done well in his rookie year, I've heard a lot of good about him this year with Cincinnati, fans there say he's been one of the top defensemen on the team. In Hamilton he's been solid, nothing flashy but hard working and smart. He's on a ahl contract right now but I could see him getting an nhl contract and being a full time AHLer next year.

Groulx has been disappointing to a degree, he's not that solid in his own end but he moves the puck well. He's on a ahl contract but I could see them not bringing him back.

Cote has been solid since he's been in Hamilton. I like him as a guy to call up when injuries hit but I can't see him as a full timer aside from a spot as a 7th D, although that I assume will go to Gorges next year. Cote is on the slow side but works hard and is a good shot blocker. Not much offense.

I can't see the Habs signing any of their Russia draft picks until the NHL & IIHF have agreed to a new transfer agreement that includes Russia. Now, that will likely exclude Sergei Kostitsyn, since he is not any obligation to a Russian based pro team, since he's been playing junior in London. I believe this is an 'out' for NHL teams wanting to draft Russian juniors, since they don't develop under the Russian professional teams. He's also from Belarus, and I 'm not sure if they fall under the Russian jurisdiction or not.

I did not include Russian prospects in this pool such as Emelin, Korneev, or Pavel Valentenko, because until that agreement is in place, I cannot see the Habs attempting to bring them over. Emelin appears to have a contract with his current club for the 2007-08 season too. I'm not 100% sure that the Habs still hold the rights to Korneev, since he was selected in 2002. Also, for some of these players, it will be difficult to entice them to play in Montreal. Many can earn guaranteed contracts between $500K-$1M, when compared to 2-way contracts that will have to be offered to all rookies entering the league. In Russia, they have a flat income tax of 13%, and some players are offered perks of free cars and automobiles.

You are probably right. I have to think that the Habs will make a strong pitch to sign Konstantin Korneev and Alexei Emelin for next season. If those two come over, they will most likely step ahead of the defensemen playing in the AHL. Mathieu Carle is a darkhorse as well. Some of the Q bluliners have had pretty good success stepping into the NHL at a young age. Marc-Edouard Vlasic and Alexandre Picard are two of the better rookie blueliners in the NHL and neither was that highly touted coming out of the junior ranks. Kris Letang, Keith Yandle, and Luc Bourdon all spent some time in the NHL this season as teenagers.

Every Russian player who wants to play in North America and has a team that wants him there is in North America. I can't see it being any different for the habs prospects playing there at the moment. If Korneev and Emelin are better than the defensemen in the AHL, I'm sure the Habs will try to bring them over. I think they are. All three have excelled at the WJC against the best competition of their age group. I would say that Korneev and Emelin are among the top 10 defense prospects in Europe at the moment. Probably Valentenko as well.

Yeah the only problem with them is they want big money, they do not want to come over and make 75 or 80 thousand when they can make 10 times that in Russia. They want a chance in the NHL not playing in the minors.

Yeah the only problem with them is they want big money, they do not want to come over and make 75 or 80 thousand when they can make 10 times that in Russia. They want a chance in the NHL not playing in the minors.

That is true, but I don't really see it as a problem. Why not let someone else pay your prospects until such time as they are ready to contribute at the NHL level? Montreal makes no money off the Bulldogs or the Cyclones, and spends a lot suppying them with players. I think they have a pretty good idea when Korneev or Emelin or whomever is ready to play regularly at the NHL level. Meanwhile, they are developing their game at the highest level outside the NHL.

Montreal should try to pry Jack Johnson or Brian Boyle from the L.A. Kings. Those two are both going to be phenomenal defensemen. Boyle was Boston College top scorer the past two seasons as a forward, they asked him to move back to defense due to injuries, and he has been even better there. The guy is 6-7, 250, with scorer's hands. Scary.

was brian boyle switched to Defense ?? I remember that L.A. drafted him as a foward and he's still listed as a foward on HOckey DB.

Gainey didn't make a serious move for jonhson last year so I don't think he would do one right now. Besides, why the heck would L.A. trade such a pospect?? they got him for free !!

I'm just thinking if Souray goes to L.A. they might be willing to part with a defense prospect. I imagine if Shelly signs there it will probably be for 4 or 5 years. Pure speculation, but Johnson is an amazing talent, and it looks like Boyle could be as well.

I'm just thinking if Souray goes to L.A. they might be willing to part with a defense prospect. I imagine if Shelly signs there it will probably be for 4 or 5 years. Pure speculation, but Johnson is an amazing talent, and it looks like Boyle could be as well.
If Souray is going to LA it's because he's signing there as a free agent. He's a big part of the team, and if we can sign him, we will hold on to him (and he knows this). If you mean trading him before free agency... that's just senseless.

Ryan O'Byrne would be nice to see in the bigs. but I'd rather not rush him up and give him a few chances to make the move first. I like his size and he should work on his shot. If he could develop a booming slap shot it would be a nice addition in the next couple of years.

GO HABS GO!

Edited by Chips

It's too bad the question was not which prospect has the best chance

to make the club next year. Emelin is the obvious choice.

Sure we didn't see much of him except the international tournament but he looks like a meaner Volchenkov with a Souray shot.

I realize that Andre Benoit is currently not projected to make the jump to the big club, but I was wondering how he is progressing. I'm curious as I had the chance to watch him grow during his Junior stint in Kitchener.

His continuous growth in Junior impressed me, so I'm just wondering if he's improving at all - I see he's continuing to put decent points up?

I think 'kaos' sees the Bulldogs from time to time? Or any one else who sees them - any update on his play would be appreciated.....

Edited by beliveau1