Which Habs AHL blueliner arrives in the bigs next?

habscout

Next Habs Defenceman to graduate from the AHL  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Given the possible openings on the Habs blueline for the 2007-08 season, which Habs defenceman prospect has the best chance at earning a spot with the Habs?

• J.P. Cote
    • Ryan O'Byrne
    • Andrew Archer
    • Mathieu Biron
    • Andre Benoit
    • Danny Groulx
    • Dan Jancevski

Given the recent articles I read & posted recently involving Cote & O'Byrne, I thought I'd create this poll to see who everyone thinks will be the next Habs bluelin prospect to graduate to the pros (preferably the Habs of course).

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd have to say both Cote & Biron have a pretty fair chance at making it because of their experience.

I really liked what I saw of O'Byrne during the Habs' prospect camp last summer, but I'm not sure he's had enough time in the AHL to be considered a possible NHLer next season. Also, this season was O'Byrnes first at a pro level, and the first season that he played more than 30 or so games (furthermore, more than 1 game per week really).

Gainey must have liked what Jancevski's play in Dallas to bring him in, so there's definitely a chance that he might have what it takes to win a spot.

In pure hockey terms, I would say Emelin's ahead of all these guys. Doesn't mean one of them won't beat him to the NHL, but for my money if Emelin comes over, he'll be the next of our prospects to earn a full time regular shift.

In other words, I'm not sure any of these guys are ready to be a top-6 NHL defenceman next September. I'm sure that's one reason Gorges is here.

i really can't see any of these guys coming up permanently next season. I guess if there are short injury callups I would see Cote or Jancevski. If any of these guys are going to take the "next step" and push his way into the corps, I guess it would be O'Byrne, but I'm not holding my breath.

I would like Emelin to be the one.

I've not been impressed by any of the others on the list, but i saw only 2 game on Sportsnet and the Syracuse game at Bell Centre.

Groulx has been pathetic with 2 penalities in the firs 5 minutes or so.

I think that Biron is the only one who will play for the Habs out of that group. Provided they resign him, obviously. He not only has significant NHL experience, he also has the most raw talent of the bunch. Perhaps spending a full season in the AHL, after being an NHL player since he was 19 will be the wakeup call Biron needs. He seems a bit lazy, but beyond that I've not heard of any character issues come up about him. After Biron, look to Europe, where Konstantin Korneev is playing NHL level hockey at the moment. He is younger than any of the AHL defensemen mentioned, and playing for the Russian National Team. Emelin is about at the same level, a couple of years younger, and a perfect complement to Korneev as a physical left side defender. Alex has been paired with former NHLer Maxim Kondriatev with Lada this season, and has played the stay at home role, while Kondriatev handles the puck. After those three, I think that Mathieu Carle is capable of playing a limited role at the NHL level next season, although I'm sure they would rather he got more playing time at the AHL level.

I would be shocked it Biron played a game for the Canadiens let alone 30 or 40. He was brought over for the AHL and that is all. I believe that he may come back to play in the AHL but Obryne Emelin and Cote have a much much better chance.

Why the disrespect for Biron? The guy was a first round draft pick, top defenseman at the WJC, NHL regular at 19 (like Latendresse), has played about 300 NHL games despite the lockout season. Currently the top scoring and most reliable defenseman in Hamilton.

Still relatively young by NHL defenseman standards, at 26. Brian Rafalski never played his first NHL game until he was 27. Mark Streit was 28, I think. Phillipe Boucher spent a full year in the minors when he was 27 (a year older than Biron). I'd say that Biron is easily the best "prospect" in the system as a defenseman.

You could be correct that Biron could be back in the NHL one day. But you are 100% incorrect that he will play more seasons then Obryne and Cote will play games.

I just think that Biron is a bit to big and when I watched 2 or 3 Dogs games this year he seemed pretty slow I have only seen 3 games though and that might not be a fair cross section of his game. He does have a great shot though.

Why the disrespect for Biron? The guy was a first round draft pick, top defenseman at the WJC, NHL regular at 19 (like Latendresse), has played about 300 NHL games despite the lockout season. Currently the top scoring and most reliable defenseman in Hamilton.

Still relatively young by NHL defenseman standards, at 26. Brian Rafalski never played his first NHL game until he was 27. Mark Streit was 28, I think. Phillipe Boucher spent a full year in the minors when he was 27 (a year older than Biron). I'd say that Biron is easily the best "prospect" in the system as a defenseman.

Okay, let's assume that starting next season, Biron gets NHL action again and continues to do so until he's 40. So there's 13 seasons, plus the five (maybe six if you count 14 games as a season?) he already has under his belt. That's 18, possibly 19 seasons. All Cote or O'Bryne have to do is play 20 games and it pretty much destroys your statement. Also, Cote's already played 8 games, which is halfway there.

So again, what are the stakes?

A million bucks. One of us will collect in about 15 years.... :)

Seriously PM me your phone number and contact info I will do the same and we can make an actual bet. I will give you 10 : 1 odds if you want.

Seriously PM me your phone number and contact info I will do the same and we can make an actual bet. I will give you 10 : 1 odds if you want.

No odds necessary. I'll lay down 10 bucks at even odds. But remember I said in the original statement that Biron would play more NHL seasons than Cote OR O'Byrne would play NHL games. Not Cote AND O'Byrne. So if Mathieu manages to play in another 10 NHL seasons, I win as long as neither Cote or O'Byrne play more than 10 NHL games in the future.

No odds necessary. I'll lay down 10 bucks at even odds. But remember I said in the original statement that Biron would play more NHL seasons than Cote OR O'Byrne would play NHL games. Not Cote AND O'Byrne. So if Mathieu manages to play in another 10 NHL seasons, I win as long as neither Cote or O'Byrne play more than 10 NHL games in the future.

Done and done.

I hope you are on these boards in about 2.5 years.

Maybe a more realistic bet would be that I will say that Biron plays more games for the Habs (or in the NHL if you prefer) next season than Cote and O'Byrne combined. Would you rather take that bet? Much easier to keep track of.

Maybe a more realistic bet would be that I will say that Biron plays more games for the Habs (or in the NHL if you prefer) next season than Cote and O'Byrne combined. Would you rather take that bet? Much easier to keep track of.

I will take both!

The trade for Biron was a precursor to the Rivet deal, I think. Having the extra depth on the right side in Biron made it comfortable for Gainey to deal Rivet. It also started the dialogue between the Habs and San Jose that ultimately led to the Rivet/Gorges deal. Josh Gorges and Mathieu Biron are the designated replacements for Rivet and the other free agent defenseman the club is likely to lose this summer.