2007 MLB Thread

Quebecois

That still doesn't fix the yankees problems. He's only good for 5 to 6 innings. That's what the minor leaguers and washed up pitchers have been doing so far this year. Clemens will not give the bullpen the rest it needs.

Therefore I don't see why the Yankees are now world beaters because they added a 45 year old dude who can only go 5.

Even if he gives you a good start which for him is six innings.

The bullpen will implode after he gives up the ball.

So I don't see the value.

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PTG, please read the above posts from me and quebecois.

You identify a problem the yankees have (bullpen) and ignore another problem (starting pitching). The yankees are 26th in ERA and I guarantee that is not all the bullpen's fault. They have a ton of injuries on their starting pitching staff (Pavano, Mussina, and at times Pettitte and Wang) which has forced them to call up minor league arms who have (for the most part) been giving up quite a few runs or getting hurt (see Karstens, Hughes). Getting better starting pitching, even at 6 IP/G helps the yankees.

Also, if Yankees can get through 6 innings having only given up 2-3 runs, perhaps they will be able to rest higher quality or more tired bullpen arms and improve the bullpen that way. As some of their pitchers start to come back (isn't Mussina due back soon?) this will allow Torre to potentially improve the bullpen by moving guys like Igawa out of the rotation. Remember, before Karstens' injury, Igawa was set to pitch out of the pen (long man, I guess).

Also, remember how I noted that it might be NL central managing strategy that has limited Rocket to 6IP? I know you don't follow baseball, but perhaps this argument has some resonance?

Not sure why im responding but im a sucker so i will.

He's not gonna turn the team around all by himself, i don't think the media has even said this.

What he will do is give them 6 quality innings, and with their offence, he will give them a win more times than not. If Pettite, Mussina, Wang and Clemens are all healthy they have a very solid rotation and with their offence i say they win the division. Not to mention the "Bust" Phil Hughes.

Your also reading too much into the early part of the season regarding the Pen. Myers, Farnsworth and Proctor are all decent bullpen guys and Rivera will turn things around.

This happens every year with the Yanks and every year they turn it around and win the division. What suggests this year will be any different?

PS: The Jays are unbearable right now. Gonna be a tough series against the Sox if our pitching continues as it has been the past little while.

Watch out for the Brewers. I'm not sure they have the offense to win the division, but they appear to have the best overall starting pitching in the division.

Well, my super sleeper isn't doing so bad so far. :D

Stick a fork in the Jays? Doc out, Glaus left tonight's game (which finally ends the streak barring a crazy comeback).

The Jays were bad when their full lineup was in there, might get ugly now....

I don't know much about baseball - aren't the Jays known as being a good team, or atleast when healthy? I know last year they were said to have an outside chance at winning the division over the powerhouses in NY and Boston. How did they get any worse since last year? I know they had a Vernon Wells situation to take care but as far as I know - they re-signed him?

Meh, I'm clueless. :rolleyes:

I don't know much about baseball - aren't the Jays known as being a good team, or atleast when healthy? I know last year they were said to have an outside chance at winning the division over the powerhouses in NY and Boston. How did they get any worse since last year? I know they had a Vernon Wells situation to take care but as far as I know - they re-signed him?

It's easy, just repeat after me: the Jays suck. ;)

Injuries. That's the Jays problem, they can't seem to stay healthy.

Injuries. That's the Jays problem, they can't seem to stay healthy.

Injuries definetely played a part. The Jays have the following players currently on the DL:

BJ Ryan (done for the year)

Brandon League (supposed to be the number 2 guy out of the pen, who knows when he will come back)

Gustavo Chacin (has always had a bad ERA but seems to win games, not sure when he will be back either)

Reed Johnson (supposed to be the leadoff man, best OBP guy on the team outside of maybe Glaus and Thomas. He won't be back till July)

Troy Glaus (Has been the best hitter on the team when healthy. Already had a stint on the DL and looks ot be out again after a Hammy pull yesterday)

Roy Halladay (4-6 weeks, ineffective his past 2 starts)

Gregg Zaun (best catcher, breaks his hand, out till june at least)

The team has been brutal, and with that in addition to the injuries you get a 9 game losing streak. A nightmare start to the season, for sure.

I enjoy watching the Jay's play. BUT they SUCK SUCK SUCK! injuries yes but when healthy they cannot compete with the AL power house teams. so lets just forget the Jays!

and start supporting the TORONTO FC. our newest football club!

I'd rather support the Montreal FC but they haven't been invented yet!?!

oh well GO HABS GO!

Nice to see a sweet debut outing by Jesse Litsch. Looks like he will get a spot in the rotation (sunday is his next start). I'm really excited to see if this kid can build on an excellent start.

I was really impressed with him. I was shocked with I heard he came up from AA, that is a pretty big jump. Hopefully he can keep it up and turn into a quality starter for the future.

I'm looking at stats. I think we are totally forgetting one of the greatest performances in history of baseball. Ichiro. He's only been in the league for 6 full seasons and he will blow by 1,500 hits already. In 7 years. That's scary.

Everyone knows he's going after Rose. He's in insane shape, so I'm going to say he's going to play until at least 45.

He's 33 now.

He'll probably get 250 hits this year that means 1,607 hits in 7 seasons.

He's 33.

If he keeps up the pace, which he most likely will that's 3,200 hits. He'd be 40. Rose is at 4,256.

That's 5 200 hit seasons away.

He's going to do this, which would be great for baseball because the hit king wouldn't be a cheat anymore.

Just imagine what kind of totals he'd have if those 7 years in Japan were 7 years in the MLB. He had almost 1,300 hits in season that only had 130 games. 130 games!

If he had started his career he'd already would be over 3,000 hits and would probably finish somewhere between 5,000 and 6,000 hits in his career.

Simply amazing.

He'll probably get 250 hits this year that means 1,607 hits in 7 seasons.

He's 33.

If he keeps up the pace, which he most likely will that's 3,200 hits. He'd be 40. Rose is at 4,256.

Except for the fact that his average season is about 220 hits, not 250.

still 220*10= 2200 then if he gets his average of 220 this year thats

1577+2220=3797 hits

3797 at 43 add 2 more years of 200 at 45 and he's passed Rose.

I also think Bonds wants to get to 800 hrs because that's the mythical Josh Gibson number and he's only 150 hits or so from 3000. Problem is that balco barry is going to have to move across the bay to Oakland to DH.

I like Ichiro but theres no chance he passes Rose.

Id be slightly surprised if he hit 3,000 to be honest. He just started too late over here...

At age 27 Ichiro had 0 MLB Hits. Pete Rose had 899. From Age 40 to his retirement Rose had 699 hits.

Thats 1598 hits gone from Rose's total if he played only from 27-40, an age range that Ichiro will probably end up playing...

Actually he plays CF, one of the toughest.

Going into this season he was 10, 200 Hit seasons shy of reaching 3354 career hits. That would take him to age 43. It just isnt feasible.

BTW I am holding out hope that the SI jinx has saved us from Bonds passing Aaron. Bonds graced the cover of this weeks issue, lets see this thing go to work!

He plays right field the easiest position on the field.

Used to play right field.

Look at pitchers now pitching into their mid 40's.

Pitches todary also only pitch every 5th day and only go around 200 innings a season. Heck, back in the old days 300 inning seasons were the norm, as teams ran 3, sometimes 4, man rotations. Players today are so bulked up that their muscles aren't loose enough to be ready on 3 day's rest on a consistent basis.

Yankees are imploding this freaking rules.

I think Joe Torre's days are numbers as the Yankees bench boss. Having said that he will go down as one of the greatest Yankees managers in history and one of the best baseball coaches ever. I am a Yankees fan after a Blue Jays fan and it is been a real treat to see the core of the team that has been around with Torre and won a couple championships, like Bernie Williams, Derek Jeter, Jorge Posada.