Assuming everyone here wants Lecavalier...

cfposi

In the 05-06 season Vinny signed a 4 year contract worth a total of 27.5 Million at 7.2 Million a year. If BG traded to get him we would have him for 2 years at 14.4 Million. There is no doubt in anyone's mind that this guy is exactly what this team needs:

1) The true franchise player (a grinder, talent galore, etc..)

2) The true first line center (take the pressure off Capt. K)

3) The true talent (shows up every night - not just when he feels like it, amazing hands)

Most speculation is that if the Habs were to get him, they would likely be looking at trading prospects. What I have heard so far is a package of picks and prospects invloving Carey Price.

Generally I would be against this (selling the future for the present is a mistake), but this situation makes me pause and think. Even with the plethora of prospects in our system, none have the talent or ability of Vinny. Perhaps if we want to realistically be cup contenders by the centennial year, a move like this is required. After careful thought I have made a suggestion below of what we should offer in return for Vinny, please let me know what you all think and offer your ideas.

To TB: Carey Price, Andrei Kostitsyn, Alexei Emelin, Conditional 2008 1st rnd pick

My logic:

Carey Price: This is just the one absolutely required piece for TB, they need a goaltending prostect like they need oxygen.

AK-46: Would be sad to see him go, but we need to offer a legit first round forward in order to sweeten the pot. I think his brother has the potential to surpass him anyways.

Alexei Emelin: This is probably our strongest D prospect...unfortunately the lack of a transfer agreement means we cant bring him over. Lets let TB worry about it.

Conditional 1st: If Vinny comes over and tears it up, give TB the 1st rnd pick. If its turns out he can't adjust...we will need the pick.

2 Things to consider: The first, I am a hockey fan, not an NHL GM...this is just for discussion purposes. If there is something here you think is stupid, pls dont take it out on me. The second, discussion is slow lately...this is just for discussion purposes so why not brainstorm a little and see what we would collectively want to give up to get a premiere talent like Vinny in the CH uniform.

Cheers

Edited by cfposi

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Or simply wait 2 more years until he's UFA.

You know in my mind Vinny would be a perfect fit for the CH but does he really wants to join the club.

The fact that we have 2 picks in 2007, i wouldnt mind give out my 2008 pick.

so Huet, 1st pick of 2008, Grabovsky, David Fischer (pick of 2006)- Strong D prospect.

Partisan

I would have to say no - that's overpaying for this guy as far as I'm concerned?

Personally I'm not a fan of Lecavalier to start with, and the fact is that the Habs's probably really can't afford his contract?

Personal dislike aside though:

Price - the Habs need to keep this guy. Halak has not proven beyond a doubt that he's a number one yet, and Huet is not exactly a spring chicken either. No, they need to keep this guy as he is most likely the future for this team.

Kostitsyn has a lot of upside at this point so not all that fussy on them dealing him? Also a factor to be considered is, if you deal him how much effect does that have on his younger brother in Montreal. The situation with Russian players seems tenuous at best as it currently stands?

Emelin (if he comes) has the gritty tough side that this team lacks behind the blueline at this time. And they need help behind the blueline badly so trading a possible cheap prospect right now doesn't make sense. With a big contract like Lecavalier's it will definitely put them in a bind when it comes to landing a good experienced veteran defenceman. Where will that cash come from?

The first rounder this year - well who cares a lot if it's the lower of the 2 they have.

I would have to say there has to be a better payout than that one - a little high for my likings.

Now for the dogs to sic themselves on this opinion.... :D

Edited by beliveau1

Last year TB picked Riku Helenius in the 1st round, and they have a decent goalie prospect in Kari Ramo in the AHL currently. I don't get this "TB needs a goalie prospect" bit. If we send them Price, I want Helenius or Ramo in return.

I think they'd want some established, realtively inexpensive players back: Plekanec, Ryder, Higgins, Komisarek... these types of players.

The fact is, I think San Jose could offer up Marleau & Toskala and get a deal done, though both are UFA's next year. Could you imagine Thronton & Lecavalier as a 1-2 punch down the middle on any team not named Team Canada?

you'd have to move your team in the west cause I don't see lecavalier(or richards for that mattter) in the east.

Hmm...can't imagine giving up Higgs or Pleks for Vinny...MAYBE Ryder (if theyd want him). The whole point of the trade would be to compliment our young talent with a franchise type talent. Imagine this...

Higgs - Vinny - Kovy

Kost - Koivu - Ryder

Lats - Pleks - Johnson

Begin/Grabs - Lappy - Milroy

BTW... that "Play Smart" card you have in your avatar, cfposi? That's from what... 1991 Pro Set? I have that one somewhere. :D

Lol...dunno...I picked it up of some avatar page somewhere. I wish I could get a fancy pics like some fo you guys... :P

Hmm...can't imagine giving up Higgs or Pleks for Vinny...MAYBE Ryder (if theyd want him). The whole point of the trade would be to compliment our young talent with a franchise type talent. Imagine this...

Higgs - Vinny - Kovy

Kost - Koivu - Ryder

Lats - Pleks - Johnson

Begin/Grabs - Lappy - Milroy

Lol...dunno...I picked it up of some avatar page somewhere. I wish I could get a fancy pics like some fo you guys... :P

I'm sure they'd want Plekanec to help build a 2nd line. To me, Higgins and Komisarek are pretty close to untouchable, and I'd say Kostitsyn and Latendresse are the two young wingers that are close to that status. But Plekanec... gotta give something to get something. I don't know if he'll ever reach 70 points, let alone 90-100 points which Vinny is what Vinny is at, and he's a UFA in 3 years potentially, exactly when Vinny's contract expires. We have Grabovski, Lapierre, and Chipchura coming up in the system for the 3 and 4 C spots.

We're talking about bringing the best overall forward in the world to town. We're talking 50 goals, 100 points, young, healthy, and already a Cup Champion. We're talking the guy who idolizes Jean Beliveau and played him in a movie!

Plekanec, Ryder, Gorges and our 2 1st rounders (or 1 this year and 1 next).

See what I did there? We got him for Plekanec, Ryder, Rivet and a 1st.

I used to view Lacavalier as overrated, but last season he really stepped up and emerged as the player that everyone has been saying he is for the last three seasons. He's now officially a franchise player.

I don't move Price for him, but everyone else is fair game.

However, it ain't gonna happen...

I don't move Price for him, but everyone else is fair game.

Actually, I'd be surprised if TB wanted Price all that bad, unless they believe he'll be NHL-ready next year. With St. Louis and Richards in their prime, they need to get a proven yet inexpensive goaler in net NOW, not in 2-4 years. Huet is the closest we have to that. Plekanec seems a logical part of this trade, too (I'm suspending my disbelief and assuming the possibility of such a blockbuster is logical in the first place!).

They could ask for Halak as well, especially since he fills a gap. But they'd want to get rid of Denis' contract. Maybe somehow a Denis/Samsonov swap would be workable as well.

TB's issues are payroll, not cap. So sending Denis to the minors does nothing for them. We could try a Huet/Denis out if it meant we also got rid of Samsonov's salary (which is hefty for them, but only 1 year as compared to 2 for Denis).

There's a lot of possiblities that don't involve Price at all.

I'd definitely avoid conversations that include Higgins & Komisarek as much as possible. Only if it ever got to a point where the deal couldn't be done without either of them would I look at an offer involving them.

I don't think the habs would trade Price. I'm pretty sure they think they have a franchise goalie there. He just graduated to Hamilton, right in the playoffs, and maintained a ,924 save ratio. That's amazing!

TB need depth. As said before, TB'd ask for RFA's or NHL ready prospects like Higgins, K-rex, Ryder, Kostitsyn, Grabovski, Emelin...

There's no way I'd move both Price and Kostitsyn. I don't care for who it is but the Habs have only scratched the surface so far with both of those players' potential.

And quite frankly I'd try to go for Marleau first. Marleau is on the Sharks blame list for this past playoff performance and with a year left in his deal, he'll be shopped around easily. Not to mention, for those who remember, Gainey tried HARD to get Marleau to Montreal several times.

I have no idea and don't wish to speculate. All I know is that my gut is telling me that something with the Habs roster is going to be flipped upside down over the summer. I suspect a big or many big moves.

We may not like it but BOb knows what to do :)

There's no way I'd move both Price and Kostitsyn. I don't care for who it is but the Habs have only scratched the surface so far with both of those players' potential.

And quite frankly I'd try to go for Marleau first. Marleau is on the Sharks blame list for this past playoff performance and with a year left in his deal, he'll be shopped around easily. Not to mention, for those who remember, Gainey tried HARD to get Marleau to Montreal several times.

Marleau would be great but no way we pry him from San Jose. Either one of these two instantly becomes our franchise player. If we could get either one for anything less than price or both Kost brothers I would be overjoyed. Those three are important.

Give them Lats, Ryder and Halak And that would be a decent deal.

EDIT: I just read that out of the big three on Tampa only Vinny doesnt have a NTC! Is this true? If it is this trade might actually happen! :D

Edited by OneSharpMarble

Although many who have commented have said this trade is not a possiblility, I have learned from BG's track record - EXPECT THE UNEXPECTED.

The fact that this trade is so far out of reality for most people makes me treat it as a potential move.

:

1) The true franchise player (a grinder, talent galore, etc..)

2) The true first line center (take the pressure off Capt. K)

3) The true talent (shows up every night - not just when he feels like it, amazing hands)

To TB: Carey Price, Andrei Kostitsyn, Alexei Emelin, Conditional 2008 1st rnd pick

My logic:

Carey Price: This is just the one absolutely required piece for TB, they need a goaltending prostect like they need oxygen.

While I agree that VIncent Lecavalier is just want Montreal needs, in no way shape or form should Montreal make Carey Price a part of that package. This kid just keeps on impressing everyone and he may damn well be the best goaltender in the NHL in 5 years time.

Trade for Lecavalier if you can, but not invlove Carey Price in the deal.

Im not saying I WANT to trade CP to get Vinny...but we may have no choice. At the end of the day, we can have the best goalie in the league, but we wont go anywhere without offensive talent (ie Vancouver). Use the model of Ottawa: They have a GOOD goalie (by no means the best in the league) and they have an amazing offense. I like that model.

No way in hell BG moves Carey Price. You don't give up franchise goatenters for any one. Especially when they are 19.

having VL may not even assure a playoof spot.

I'm guessing this is a french Canadien thing, If Price was French Canadien i'm sure this wouldn't even be much of a conversation.

Im not saying I WANT to trade CP to get Vinny...but we may have no choice. At the end of the day, we can have the best goalie in the league, but we wont go anywhere without offensive talent (ie Vancouver). Use the model of Ottawa: They have a GOOD goalie (by no means the best in the league) and they have an amazing offense. I like that model.

I believe Halak in lieu of Price with the players you mentioned plus a couple of picks might be on interest to TB. Also remember playing in Montreal is different than playing in TB because of the extra pressure, and add the pressure on a French Canadian player. Definitely not a guarantee the player coming to Montreal under those circumstance will produce at the same level. Not everyone can play in Montreal, a comparable analogy is not everyone can play for the New York Yankees or the Boston Red Sox. Just another thought on the subject. Would love to see Lecavalier in Montreal.

Edited by thib46

I'm guessing this is a french Canadien thing, If Price was French Canadien i'm sure this wouldn't even be much of a conversation.

LOL :blink:

I started this thread and I am as english as you can get! My reason for wanting this is simple: TB needs to rid themselves of 1-2 of the big 3. TB thinks of Marty as the most valuable of the 3 and Vinny doesn't have a no-trade clause...in short, there is a possiblity that Vinny can be aquired. He is definitely one of the best players in the NHL, if not the best. Why the hell wouldnt I want him in Montreal...it doesn't take a french person to want that, it takes someone with a brain.