Assuming everyone here wants Lecavalier...

cfposi

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its not like anyone would care if they said they would want to play in Canada someday.

But they all say its too crazy.

So the feelings of a handful of St. Louis players ring true for every Canadian hockey player in the world? You're seriously going way overboard here.

Now back on topic, I want Vinny, but I don't want to sell our future for him.

Vinny would be awesome too, but this team isn't just one player away so to speak. He wouldn't be the silver bullet.

This team like needs 3 lines worth of players that actually want to play and not do morning skates.

Ummm, that's pretty much what everyone's been saying in this thread.

And yeah, the whole team is a bunch of bums. How did I ever forget? :rolleyes:

I honestly think one of the biggest problems with the Habs of late is motivation. Like PtG just said, they play uninspired. One thing that goes a long way to inspiring a team is the talent and EFFORT of a franchise player. Unfortunately our "franchise player" is Alex Kovalev so they play as unispired as he does. A guy like Vinny would bring it every night...he has the hands of Kovalev with 100 times the heart (keep in mind im an anglo saying this) and he would motivate this spoiled rotten Habs team.

Edited by cfposi

I disagree. For the first bit of the season, they played well. Perhaps it was simply our powerplay carrying us, but whatever it was, it was working. Then there was the flu big which was followed by a huge slump. Team morale went down. They didn't just suddenly start sucking because Kovalev and Samsonov were. Those two had been sucking all season, but that hadn't had much of an impact on the team up until that point. I think had we had a seasoned coach, the slump wouldn't have made as much of an impact. But Carbo's still learning the ropes and I'm willing to give him some more time.

Yes the flu bug and then Gainey's daughter going missing morality wounded the team. It was like when Hair Metal dudes first heard Grunge. Hair Metal died.

Anyway, yes those events in January ruined the team and they got into a funk and never got out of it.

Pretty much.

So like I've said before, I'm pretty happy with the team, but if we can get some reasonably-priced upgrades, I'd be even happier.

Vinny would be awesome too, but this team isn't just one player away so to speak. He wouldn't be the silver bullet.

This team like needs 3 lines worth of players that actually want to play and not do morning skates.

This team has piles of talent, it needs the proper attitude and a true leader/superstar can do that for them. We don't need three lines, we have three decent lines. What we need is to remove the cancers and replace them with players who want to be here.

Can Lecavalier lead this team? Maybe, he would sure as hell be a great role model for all the youth we have. And you know what else Vinny brings? He brings other UFA's, you tell someone Lecavalier is your first line center all of a sudden the habs team looks like the place to be.

You can't overpay for a guy like VL. (damn he has a long name)

I believe the way to go for the Habs is to be a character team. We saw that late in the season during their playoff push. They need more than anything a boost of grit and leadership (forward or d, it don't matter, they have needs in both areas).

There are few NHL players that fit the role as a forward and are good players *cough*Ryan Smyth*cough*.

Vinny would only be good if the Habs could get him as a UFA, and thats if he give them a home town discount. Vinny is great, but presently it would be at way to high a cost. :(

The fact is, I think San Jose could offer up Marleau & Toskala and get a deal done, though both are UFA's next year.

I agree 1000 fold. However I mean Bob getting Marleau. ;)

Marleau had 0 points in the Det series, so SJ isnt exactly happy with him right now. I wouldnt be surprised one bit if he's traded. All Bob has to do is make a good enough offer. If Bob hasnt bought out Samsonov yet, he should definitely hold off. Dont forget that Sammy lit it up playing with Thorton, so SJ might actually want him. Not to mention SJ has eaten other teams stupidity contracts before. Bob could even offer SJ their pick back. :lol:

Higgs - Marleau - Kovy

Kost - Koivu - Ryder

Lats - Pleks - Johnson

Begin/Grabs - Lappy - Milroy

Would look pretty good to me. :clap:

Go Bob Go!! :hlogo:

I disagree. For the first bit of the season, they played well. Perhaps it was simply our powerplay carrying us, but whatever it was, it was working. Then there was the flu big which was followed by a huge slump. Team morale went down. They didn't just suddenly start sucking because Kovalev and Samsonov were. Those two had been sucking all season, but that hadn't had much of an impact on the team up until that point. I think had we had a seasoned coach, the slump wouldn't have made as much of an impact. But Carbo's still learning the ropes and I'm willing to give him some more time.

I agree that they played well at the beginning of the season...but that isnt the best time to masure the need for a true franchise player. Its easy to be motivated at the beginning of the year...its when things go wrong (ie flu and family tragedy) that you see the impact of your "superstar". January would have been THE time for Kovy to step up and motivate the team with his talent and effort. Instead he decisded to float and collect a paycheck. Its time to get someone who can play the motivator for the habs in a rough spot. Vinny would do this...big time!

To TB: Carey Price, Andrei Kostitsyn, Alexei Emelin, Conditional 2008 1st rnd pick

My logic:

Carey Price: This is just the one absolutely required piece for TB, they need a goaltending prostect like they need oxygen.

I'm not sure if this has been pointed out yet but TB doesn't need Price or a goalie prospect at all.

The teams top 3 (maybe 4) are tenders.

Riku Helenius (18, years old and top prospect in the system)

Karri Ramo (20, and second)

Vasily Koshechkin (23, in RSL stands 6'6 and is 4th in prospect pool)

Jonathan Boutin (21, and will get a shot at the big club next year after last season learning in the AHL and ranks 9th in the depth chart)

The last thing TB needs is another teenage goalie to wait for.

I don't know what it would take to get Vinny, but I don't think we have it.

excuse me while I laugh my ass off... this will never happen, even if we pay him double what he's worth. I for one prefer if we bring up the kids. I won't give up a thing! NO WAY, NO HOW! but why even bother thinking about vinny? we cannot afford him at his current wage... how could we imagine this outcome its beyond reality.

with my luck, watch Gainey sell the farm, now that I said no!

By the way I'd line up for Ryan Smith! any day of the week, now thats a smart idea if I do say so myself. watch out for that sharp rookie GM, Garth have you seen the SNOW, "show me the money", he'll sign Ryan up faster than the military can clear a snow storm in toronto.

GO HABS GO!

Edited by Chips

... except that one-eyed player was better than almost every one of our other two-eyed players, not to mention our leading scorer.

Good plan! :wacko:

\

I would never disagree with this, saku is a great player and the most inspirational player I have ever known of. However, would it not of made sense for him to take the first half of the season off and come back fully healthy? This must have been know about pre season. If it can be operated on now and be fully better for Sept., couldn't it have been done in Aug. with him returning in Jan.? team saves 2,2 vs cap, preseason!! That is big shopping money, that would have landed Shanahan at 5m instead of Samsanov at 3.5. Hind site? Maybe on my part, but the captain and GM knew back then, and a fully healthy Koivu would have probably close to matched his total half healthy stats in the back half of the season.

How wacko is that thinking?

excuse me while I laugh my ass off... this will never happen, even if we pay him double what he's worth. I for one prefer if we bring up the kids. I won't give up a thing! NO WAY, NO HOW! but why even bother thinking about vinny? we cannot afford him at his current wage... how could we imagine this outcome its beyond reality.

with my luck, watch Gainey sell the farm, now that I said no!

By the way I'd line up for Ryan Smith! any day of the week, now thats a smart idea if I do say so myself. watch out for that sharp rookie GM, Garth have you seen the SNOW, "show me the money", he'll sign Ryan up faster than the military can clear a snow storm in toronto.

GO HABS GO!

Why Ryan Smyth?

I know all about his heart and leadership and yadda yadda yadda...... But a 70 point player is not worth $5-$6M or more.

Smyth's heart and grit will make anyone around him elevate their game. Not to mention that Smyth can do ANYTHING on the ice. He can score, pass, play defense and block shots anywhere at any time without worry. Blocking shots comes natural to him, it's a reflex.

Not to mention that Smyth loves playing near the goalie crease, something the Habs don't have.

Smyth's heart and grit will make anyone around him elevate their game. Not to mention that Smyth can do ANYTHING on the ice. He can score, pass, play defense and block shots anywhere at any time without worry. Blocking shots comes natural to him, it's a reflex.

Not to mention that Smyth loves playing near the goalie crease, something the Habs don't have.

Yeah and one hard hit too many and the guy is finished, he's getting older and it's only a matter of time before an injury sidelines him. I wouldnt want him signed for some huge 5 year deal, he is a great leader but he is still just a grinder.

Yeah and one hard hit too many and the guy is finished, he's getting older and it's only a matter of time before an injury sidelines him. I wouldnt want him signed for some huge 5 year deal, he is a great leader but he is still just a grinder.

Grinders are third liners who don't contribute much offensively. Smyth is a 30 goal scorer and one of the league's best players in front of the net. I agree that we shouldn't give him some massive deal, but you're shortchanging him if you think he's just a grinder.