Habs make Markov a contract offer

Tony

I expected him to get less, but he deserves this. Awesome news to have a superstar signed here for 4 more seasons.

That is a million more than I thought he would get...but we can't say Bob isn't doing his best to keep the good players on the team. We will see what Meehan does now.

I expected him to get less, but he deserves this. Awesome news to have a superstar signed here for 4 more seasons.

He hasn't accepted it yet...just the offer has been made.

That is a million more than I thought he would get...but we can't say Bob isn't doing his best to keep the good players on the team. We will see what Meehan does now.

He hasn't accepted it yet...just the offer has been made.

ah - I don't think he can ask for any more than that though.

I figured he would net around $5.5M a year, so I wouldn't be surprised if Meehan doesn't try to get Gainey to raise it a bit. Still, $5M sounds like a fine number for Markov.

$5 million a season for Markov is way to much IMO......if it was up to me I would have offered $3.5 - $4 million a season...if he didn't want it then he could hit the road.

then you would have to go on free market and attrack a UFA to do the same job and it would be more expensive.

$5 million a season for Markov is way to much IMO......if it was up to me I would have offered $3.5 - $4 million a season...if he didn't want it then he could hit the road.

Let him walk....and get who to replace him? It's not like offensively-capable puck moving defensemen grow on trees....nor are they likely to want to come to Montreal. This is a deal BG has to make, even if it means overpaying.

Yeah then we could give Souray 6million and we could watch that clown bumble and stumble his way to another -28 (or whatever it was)

Markov is a franchise defenseman, you don't get that quality of player for nothing and you certainly dont keep one for nothing.

Edited by OneSharpMarble

Yeah then we could give Souray 6million and we could watch that clown bumble and stumble his way to another -28 (or whatever it was)

Markov is a franchise defenseman, you don't get that quality of player for nothing and you certainly dont keep one for nothing.

$3.5 Million a season ain't nothing...where I come from thats a damn fine living. As for Souray...I didn't say he should get $6 Million.....I would offer Souray $4 - $4.5 Million a season.

Edited by Spider-Man NL

A lot of money but that's what he'd get elsewhere I guess, hoping he takes it like a good boy and Souray signs next week.

well well said! totally agree. I think he deserves it and I think he will sign it.

I too find the number high, especially for an 'opening' bargaining move. But Gainey seems to believe in paying players generously (c.f. the Theodore and Ribeiro contracts). And maybe it's not a bad idea; it helps to foment goodwill and all, avoiding nasty arbitrations, etc..

I'm not sure that Souray can reasonably demand more than Markov, especially since Souray himself said that Markov should be the Habs' #1 priority signing, not him. This implies that he recognizes that Markov is actually more valuable. I know, I know, the *reality* of UFA markets might say otherwise, but let's just say that I wouldn't fall out of my chair in amazement if Souray accepts a comparable deal. (Or hopefully, a bit more money for fewer years).

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=208871&hubname=

Might not be the 4M$ a season that most people predicted here but Markov is worth every single penny that the Habs pay him.

I first thought that we could get him at discount... (4M) because of who markov is... then I noticed that his agent is Meehan... (asshole effect!)... so that he's got a 25% premium on that... 5M sounds right with Asshole Meehan as his agent.

Glad Souray's agent is not Meehan :P

At first I was a little bit shocked by the Number, but the more I think about it I come to accept the fact that Markov would have been one of the top defence-men available as an UFA this summer. He would have Commanded at least this much on the open market. we could definitely do no better trying to sign Rafalski or Timmonen

But, this is just a preliminary report the numbers could be incorrect.....5 years instead of 4?(wishfull thinking)

I first thought that we could get him at discount... (4M) because of who markov is... then I noticed that his agent is Meehan... (asshole effect!)... so that he's got a 25% premium on that... 5M sounds right with Asshole Meehan as his agent.

Glad Souray's agent is not Meehan :P

WTH...does this guy represent half the players in the league or what?? How does he find the time to negotiate all these contracts every summer??

Preparation, that's the key. This guy has so many players to represent, it's insane. You think the amount of NHL stars is huge? Check out the amount of junior players he has too, off the charts between him and Pat Brisson.