Souray weighing contract offer from Habs

kaos

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Montreal is lucky to have anyone wanting to play for them... i totally blame the whole 'montreal hockey environment" on why free agents think twice about accepting any offers to play for the canadiens :popcorn:

Ya huge frickin problem for the HABS that is for sure. MAN O MAN Gainey threw more money at these guys and still lost out. I wonder what the word amongst the players really is about Montreal and why no-one wants to play here except Saku Koivu, P.K subbon and Angelo Esposito.

Montreal is lucky to have anyone wanting to play for them... i totally blame the whole 'montreal hockey environment" on why free agents think twice about accepting any offers to play for the canadiens :popcorn:

AGREED!!! WE SHOULD WRITE A LETTER!!!

one or two million over per year on most offers and we STILL get turned Down! MONTREAL MEDIA YOUR TO BLAME!!!!!

Who knows how much RDS present at the Draft asking Timmins WHY he didnt draft Espo instead of getting that legit D Blue chip (or almost) made the other UFA think 3 times before signing for anything!

MTL MEDIA F&$@ YOU!!! LOL

:P in all seriousness perhaps were lucky we didnt get any of these crappy players!

We are doomed boys, we should have never left the old forum. The bell center is to blame and I guess the new state of the art sports facility they're building isn't perking up palyers.

Hey ....here's an idea. With the crazy ticket prices and sold out games and practices for god' sake can't Gilette off set the taxes by giving these guys cars and houses to attract them. I know it sounds stupid but unless their is some sort of exemption for players that's it we will have a shit team for life.

Once we start winning, these jerk-off players will come.

A big part of the problem, I'm increasingly convinced, is that players are frickin' idiots when it comes to assessing hockey teams. I mean, really, they flock to Colorado? To Toronto? To Philadelphia? These teams have recently been disasters, but they still have a lingering REP as good organizations because of past success. The Habs spent a decade as a bottom-feeding franchise and that reputation is still hovering around us, despite Gainey's very solid righting of the ship, because all the good things the organization is doing have not yet translated into consistent on-ice success.

It's frustrating. They're like lemmings.

We are doomed boys, we should have never left the old forum. The bell center is to blame and I guess the new state of the art sports facility they're building isn't perking up palyers.

Hey ....here's an idea. With the crazy ticket prices and sold out games and practices for god' sake can't Gilette off set the taxes by giving these guys cars and houses to attract them. I know it sounds stupid but unless their is some sort of exemption for players that's it we will have a shit team for life.

I used to do the same thing for the Expos. Think up crazy ideas to encourage players to sign here. I'm gutted to think it may have come to this for the worlds most famous hockey team. Maybe some of those problem media sources can do commercials with the players, and pay them to do so. RDS, Journal de Montreal, have them use top players as spokesmen. Create Tiger Woods types in the province of Quebec. Picture Ryan Smyth eating a poutine for some restaurant, oh sorry, too late.

Does anyone else think had Souray signed he would have bought some leverage in making the Habs look better in these potential UFA talks?

A good point. Would Smyth (who I now believe to be a total moron) have believed the Avs to be a much 'closer' team to winning than Montreal if they hadn't signed Hannan? Maybe not.

Does anyone else think had Souray signed he would have bought some leverage in making the Habs look better in these potential UFA talks?

VAlid point but I dont think so!

Had Souray signed and maybe BOB offered briere 10 mil a year for 6 years? hMmmm NO thank you ... if anything Thank you Shelly!!

Edited by CoRvInA

Supposedly Souray turned down 22 over 4. If that is the case, i hope for his sake somebody comes through with a better offer. For alot of teams, money is dwindling down and he may be out of luck or get less than he expected.

Why is there love for Scott Hannan in here? His stats are common. He has no tough streak. His +/- was very average on a very good team. Just because he played for Team Canada doesn't make him a star. Rob Zamuner anyone? That's a lot of money for just another cog.

If he signs in the east I will HATE SOURAY.

(other than the habs)

Most likely the devils..........What a dick. I can't beleive it.....Boy Oh Boy that mother f%^6ker is going to hate coming to Montreal now. I hope he never forgets this and has to sign for much less somewhere else.

-With everyone getting so much stupid money How did Souray shoot himself in the foot?

How did he shoot himself in the foot? By getting too greedy and outwaiting the time when the market was the players market. If Rafalski got 6 M/year, he's not gonna get more than that. I kinda hope he has to sign cheaper elsewhere too. For me, this really proves it's a waste of time to believe most players when they talk the talk like he did, with all the "unfinished business" quotes. He REALLY waited for the money, and he waited too long, and now he's likely gonna get less than if he'd signed with us, or in some other city on day 1...

How did he shoot himself in the foot? By getting too greedy and outwaiting the time when the market was the players market. If Rafalski got 6 M/year, he's not gonna get more than that. I kinda hope he has to sign cheaper elsewhere too. For me, this really proves it's a waste of time to believe most players when they talk the talk like he did, with all the "unfinished business" quotes. He REALLY waited for the money, and he waited too long, and now he's likely gonna get less than if he'd signed with us, or in some other city on day 1...

Exactly! He will end up looking like a fool and not getting what he was holding out for. He could have just stayed with the Habs and been happy. By waiting and asking for more money not realizing Gainey was being more then fair with all things considered it's just funny how teams walked away. All due respect to Sheldon I'll bet his agent screwed all this up for him.

Ya he might get a little more then 5.5 or less but longer terms. I hope nobody signs him untill January. What a knob.

Souray will get at least 5.5 IMHO.

As for him 'hating' to come to Montreal if he signs in the east - dream on, folks. Souray is old-school, a character guy. He will LOVE coming back here and scoring backbreaking PP goals against us every single $#$%^$^#$^$ game. If fans boo him like crazy, he will be even MORE determined to pulverize us. And those who fantasize that Koivu or Kovalev will deke him out of his jock, dream on - first, he's not *as bad* defensively as people around here think; and second, even if he gets deked out Marty Brodeur will save him from embarassment.

Basically, Souray is a pretty good candidate for a potential Habs killer, a la John Leclair. Get used to suffering if he does stay in the East.