Fanpuck's 2007 Draft Thread

Fanpuck33

If Eric Johnson is a big name then so is Kane, Turris and VanRiemsdyk.

Cherepanov has the potential to be another Ovechkin, Malkin or Kovalchuk. I don't really consider this a weak draft, aside for the goalies.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

By the way Fanpuck, how was meeting Alzner? I know a couple people who have met him and they say he's a pretty nice guy. I only got his autograph after a Hitmen game so I can't really count that for myself.

Habs need a D-man prospect.

No way, we need a goalie!

But seriously, I would say a bonafide offensive centreman is our biggest need. If none are available, we could go for a dman, but with O'Byrne, Fischer, Carle and our two Russian guys, our defensive depth is no longer as big a problem. I think we'll probably go BPA.

OOC, what makes you say that? Also, which one?

Haha, ouch.

This better be the year that the Avs take a d-man in the first round. I mean, we still got a first-round quality d-man last year but I'd actually like to see us take one in the first round. I keep hearing rumors that the Avs and Caps are talking, would love to see us grab that 5th overall pick and take Alzner before Edmonton has a chance to.

Otherwise I'm cool with Petrecki or Plante.

OOC, what makes you say that? Also, which one?

don,t read too much in this but montreal could be drafting this kid named cross. 6'3'' 185 L Dman.

yet again, another american Dman !! that would be our fourth 1st round american in the 2k's

Tommy Cross?

The Avs take him in a mock draft he's in. I'm wary though, he's still in HS. I'd like more immediate help.

he would be another fischer.

I would love if mtl drafte a guy with a mean streak.

If he can not answer the following simple questions I suggest we ban him from HW.

1. What is a two-line pass? In hockey.

Its illegal now. Before the 'new' nhl a two line pass was to prevent cherry picking. It meant you couldn't pass the puck over two lines on the ice. red line, blue line, centre ice. But its effect on the game was horrendous. It caused more clutching and grabbing, didn't open up the ice enough. Made the game not fun and break aways became a rarity during a game and not a common. Greatest thing Bettman has ever done. And I'm a Bettman hater.

2. What does the coach want from you if he asks you to 'dump and chase'?

Its the most basic form of offense. You go shoot the puck into the corner when you pass the centre line. Then chase the puck and hope to get a trailing player for a pass and shot at the net

3. What is happening in the following picture:

charging.gif

Charging is being called so the answer is A.

a. a referee assesses a charging penalty

b. a ping pong player is warming up his wrists

c. uncle Joe is dancing the macarena

4. 'Cherry Picking'

Somebody who stays behind the last defense man or never gets into defensive position in the defensive end. Sort of just floats in the neutral zone waiting for the somebody to pass him the puck so he can get a quick break away.

5. Who's the best goalie in today's NHL? (hint: he becomes UFA in two weeks)

That's debateable. I personally think Luongo is the best. Hasek is overrated and old.

6. Explain the expression underlined in the following sentence,

I kept freezing the puck to help out my teammates.

freezer.jpg

freezing the puck is done when the puck is in the corner and you need a stoppage of play. Its really goofy looking, looks like a ruby scrum on skates.

mine will be posted in a few minutes

Anyone brave enough to do a mock draft and post it?

will do !!

I did one last year, but I haven't kept up enough with the prospects this year. Who knows though, I might do one tonight or early tomorrow.

I did one last year too, but I have a wedding tonight. Maybe I'll make a quick one tomorrow morning but probably not.

freezing the puck is done when the puck is in the corner and you need a stoppage of play. Its really goofy looking, looks like a ruby scrum on skates.

Umm, not exactly. Usually freezing the puck refers to the goalie covering up the puck for a whistle.

And what about the other five questions?

I did one last year too, but I have a wedding tonight. Maybe I'll make a quick one tomorrow morning but probably not.

:blink:

Who's getting married?

By the way Fanpuck, how was meeting Alzner? I know a couple people who have met him and they say he's a pretty nice guy. I only got his autograph after a Hitmen game so I can't really count that for myself.

Actually, I mixed up the order I got the autographs. Alzner was the second guy in the line and he was the one who mentioned my playoff beard. He even leaned over to point it out to VanRiemsdyk, haha.