Restricted Free Agents

kaos

Alot of the talk on this site has been about trading for a #1 centre and/or defensman, or signing an expensive free agent.

Not alot of thought has been given to the idea of signing another teams restricted free agents.

While Gomez, Drury and Briere are going to command over $6 Million per season and probably closer to $7 Million, and lets face it they are not really worth it, and the Patrick Marleau rumours are unsubstantiated and he would be costly in terms of picks and prospects while restricted free agents may come a little cheaper.

Heres my idea.

The New JErsey Devils are in a little trouble with the Cap. So I'd think Gainey should offer Zach Parise, an excellent young player coming off his best season (31g, 31a- 62 points) a rather large contract. Say around $3.5 Million per season. The most it would cost Montreal should New Jersey decline to match, would be a few draft picks. ....... which is a sliding scale based on the amount of the contract....probably a 1st rounder or maybe 2 first rounders.

Montreal has plenty of prospects stacked up over the last few years, and somebody off the current roster could be shipped out to bring some draft picks in return.

The could also apply to another other teams with good looking young centre who have cap issues. Zach Parise was just the first player that came to mind

Any thoughts?

Not sure the price is right for me. Too costly to give up young talent for RFA. I'd rather trade straight up for players.

BG would never put an offer sheet to other teams RFA. He has too much class. He is no Bobby Clark.

QFT

A lot of experts expect this to become common practice but I just do not see it happening.

Also the next 2 draft years could be very very deep in the new nhl having a deep prospect pool is way more important because the more young talent you have the better you can manage your cap.

Edited by JMMR

Although it does make a lot of sense to try to make a play for an RFA, I think there is an unwritten rule amongst almost all of the GMs. Don't make offers on my RFAs and I won't make any offers on yours.

What's more likely is Gainey would make a trade offer of 2 1st rounders or something for Parise. He wouldn't force Lamoriello to match any contract offers. That would be screwing a team over and you can bet each team you screw over will want to screw you back. Not to mention refusing to trade with you.

Last year, I thought we should've made a RFA offer to Paul Martin. The Devils were in serious cap problems and we really needed a young, puckmoving d-man.

I'd look for situations like that with RFA's. Teams with cap issues and a guy you could really use. Otherwise, it's a futile exercise. You aren't going to get the guy, and you just piss everyone off and leave yourself open to the vultures in the future.

Last year, I thought we should've made a RFA offer to Paul Martin. The Devils were in serious cap problems and we really needed a young, puckmoving d-man.

I'd look for situations like that with RFA's. Teams with cap issues and a guy you could really use. Otherwise, it's a futile exercise. You aren't going to get the guy, and you just piss everyone off and leave yourself open to the vultures in the future.

Yeah but there was no way the Devils would not have matched. Lou would have found a way out of one or two more contracts.

I stated in another thread if someone made an offer for Ryder we should let him go because next years draft will be deep and 3-4 million which Ryder would demand gives us 1st ,2nd, and 3rd round choices as compensation.

I wouldn't want to give that up for Parise. Besides I think I've heard in the past from Gainey himself in an interview that he doesn't do business that way(meaning signing RFA). That obviously comes from respect for his peers. Now let's see if respect is given back or will someone try to rip Ryder away. That could change everything.

I stated in another thread if someone made an offer for Ryder we should let him go because next years draft will be deep and 3-4 million which Ryder would demand gives us 1st ,2nd, and 3rd round choices as compensation.

I wouldn't want to give that up for Parise. Besides I think I've heard in the past from Gainey himself in an interview that he doesn't do business that way(meaning signing RFA). That obviously comes from respect for his peers. Now let's see if respect is given back or will someone try to rip Ryder away. That could change everything.

I like how you think.

If someone did make an offer to Ryder, I agree take the picks and go after a free agent like NYI Blake for scoring.

the real problem with ryder is if we let him go for picks, who knows how good he will be somewhere else. with the right fit he could turn out to be a 35-40 goal scorer.

he's our only pure goal-scorer, as well. and since he's going to sign for one year(before turning ufa) we might as well keep him and benefit of his scoring and maybe trade him when time comes.

Edited by marky_and_komi

the real problem with ryder is if we let him go for picks, who knows how good he will be somewhere else. with the right fit he could turn out to be a 35-40 goal scorer.

he's our only pure goal-scorer, as well. and since he's going to sign for one year(before turning ufa) we might as well keep him and benefit of his scoring and maybe trade him when time comes.

I agree with you. I was just saying if someone was to offer him a bunch of cash. That's my problem with Ryder. Yes he has a great shot. It just seems he's on the verge of a really crappy season, more so than great. I think he has peeked and has too many flaws to justify a large salary. When we are down by a couple of goals I don't ever feel like " MAN PUT RYDER ON!!'' or during a power play " LOOK OUT!!!! RYDER IS ON HERE COMES A GOAL " He is just not a threat.

I hate Tucker but he brings more to the table than Ryder.......Souray for the first time in a long time was bringing this deadly weapon to our Habs team. When the power play came you new he was going put it in, and now we're going to lose him. I love Ryder I just dont know if he can keep bringing it. I'm on the fence with him. So is Gainey hence the short term deals.

I agree with you. I was just saying if someone was to offer him a bunch of cash. That's my problem with Ryder. Yes he has a great shot. It just seems he's on the verge of a really crappy season, more so than great. I think he has peeked and has too many flaws to justify a large salary. When we are down by a couple of goals I don't ever feel like " MAN PUT RYDER ON!!'' or during a power play " LOOK OUT!!!! RYDER IS ON HERE COMES A GOAL " He is just not a threat.

I hate Tucker but he brings more to the table than Ryder.......Souray for the first time in a long time was bringing this deadly weapon to our Habs team. When the power play came you new he was going put it in, and now we're going to lose him. I love Ryder I just dont know if he can keep bringing it. I'm on the fence with him. So is Gainey hence the short term deals.

I too never felt Ryder was meant to be a Habs... still besides the infinity of missed shots and opportunities he had last season (as usual) he still was our top scorer and more importantly lets give him credit where it is due... HE IMPROVED HIS SKATING he was faster he charged and got free many times something he did not do before he obviously was training in the summer on that weakness. so I wouldn't bet on him achieving his full potential! what i still haven't swallowed is his commitment to the Habs... I still think deep inside he wants to be a Leafer

I too never felt Ryder was meant to be a Habs... still besides the infinity of missed shots and opportunities he had last season (as usual) he still was our top scorer and more importantly lets give him credit where it is due... HE IMPROVED HIS SKATING he was faster he charged and got free many times something he did not do before he obviously was training in the summer on that weakness. so I wouldn't bet on him achieving his full potential! what i still haven't swallowed is his commitment to the Habs... I still think deep inside he wants to be a Leafer

ewwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!! (not you but what your saying......I think your right!)

EDIT

Wait........it was him who was the only one in the last game that actually tried to put the Laffs away. Ahhhh nevermind is it October yet?

Edited by SAKS-AVENUE

Watching most of the games last year, it was apparent to me that on the PP, Ryder was most dangerous and very valuable as a right-handed shot on the off wing. However, his play 5 on 5 left alot to be desired. I would like to see him with 3rd line duty and lotsa PP time. His 30 goals would be very tough to replace.

Ummm. You can add everyone besides Pleks, Perez Markov and Komi to that list. i beleive most everyone was heavy on the minus. You don't put a defensive liability on the third line. That defeats the purpose.

So there is numerous blame to go around, you can pick on Koivu and Souray, there minus was worse then Ryder.

the infinity of missed shots and opportunities he had last season (as usual)

I'm no Ryder apologist (he's a defensive liability), and I would be fine if we packaged him with a young player/prospect for Marleau, but I find the notion that he misses more chances than other people hard to back up statistically. Everyone misses the net at times, especially when you're a goal scorer and you're trying to hit that top-right corner. Among players who had more than few games played, he was third on the team in shooting percentage in each of the last two years (Koivu was #1 last season and Higgins was #1 the year before). That's hardly embarrassing.

We should make a big offer to the Blunts for Vanek and screw them up totally. Imagine how great it would be if they lost Vanek, Briere and Drury in a week. The rats would start jumping off the ship, I bet.

If a team has a low ceiling, go after it. It is not 'dirty pool', it is business and well within the rules.

Agree with Ryder, if a big offer comes in, let him walk and take the picks. This team could be a giant in about three years, with all that talent maturing, plus gets rid of a very fundamentally-challenged player. 30 goals can be replaced, stats can always be replaced.

We should make a big offer to the Blunts for Vanek and screw them up totally. Imagine how great it would be if they lost Vanek, Briere and Drury in a week. The rats would start jumping off the ship, I bet.

remember those things tend to come back and bite u

If the Habs were not as well stacked in prospect depth and RFA's I would follow that idea... best not tempt the teams in doing so Next year I believe we will have much more RFA's that will need contracts Imagine if Chips or GRabo etc make a great impression ... I wouldnt want other teams ganging up on us just because we made the first move (drew first blood) I would wait until more clubs make that move before doing so.

Ryder is pretty valuable and also pretty clutch as pointed out, another thing is he has been fairly injury free during his pro career which counts for something I bet after Bob has signed or not signed Souray Ryder will be locked up- long term if Souray goes short term if he stays.

I suspect Ryder signs for 3M x 2 and it may take arbitration to settle it. He will not be a habs for his entire career though, I don't expect him to be back after that imaginary contract ends. There are younger, cheaper, more complete players coming out of the Habs' system and they can replace our apparently greedy one-trick pony.

I suspect Ryder signs for 3M x 2 and it may take arbitration to settle it. He will not be a habs for his entire career though, I don't expect him to be back after that imaginary contract ends. There are younger, cheaper, more complete players coming out of the Habs' system and they can replace our apparently greedy one-trick pony.

Then he can go to his childhood favorite team to get overpaid, LEAFS.....