What to do with Ryder?

lazy26

i think it depends on who we can get for him, he's a valuable player to have around but if we can get something better i dont see why we wouldnt. Blake and Sundin scare me, we need to match that.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think it depends on who we can get for him, he's a valuable player to have around but if we can get something better i dont see why we wouldnt. Blake and Sundin scare me, we need to match that.

I am not really worried about Toronto. The changes they have made are cosmetic and made to get them into the playoffs.

Sundin is turning 37, Blake is going to be 34. They have sold their future for a 2 year gap in which they cannot win the Cup.

The core of the Leafs is old, like it always is. Montreal is rebuilding through youth and although it may not pay off this season

it will in the near future. Is Toronto going to be better than Buffalo/Ottawa/Pittsburgh/NY Rangers etc etc?

If not they have pissed away the future for nothing. Dumb team, dumb fan base, dumb management.

Mats could not get them to the Finals when he was surrounded by Mogilny, Roberts, Corson with Cujo in net.

Blake had a career year, Toskala has not proven anything and Bell could not score with Thornton last year.

You can look at it both ways, that is the way Ferguson deals. Constantly gambling. Maybe Lindros will work? NOPE

Maybe Allison? NOPE. Maybe Peca? NOPE. Raycroft? NOPE. ON an ON with the gambles hoping one day he gets lucky.

It may happen, but that is not the way you build a contender.

It's worth adding, also, that we can't sit around always worrying about the Leafs - and waaay too many people around here seem to think that OUR MAIN GOAL is to beat TO. For God's sake, they finished 9th in the Conference last season! You don't improve by making it your mission in life to be better than the gold standard in perpetual mediocrity (the Toronto Maple Leafs). Forget Toronto, look at the Conference as a whole, or better yet, the Cup champs. That should be our main point of reference.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

It's worth adding, also, that we can't sit around always worrying about the Leafs - and waaay too many people around here seem to think that OUR MAIN GOAL is to beat TO. For God's sake, they finished 9th in the Conference last season! You don't improve by making it your mission in life to be better than the gold standard in perpetual mediocrity (the Toronto Maple Leafs). Forget Toronto, look at the Conference as a whole, or better yet, the Cup champs. That should be our main point of reference.

Sad isn't it. It has become a rivalry of mediocrity.

Ken Dryden said it best in the game when he said the habs/Leaf rivalry was dead because the Leafs killed it. Well the only reason it is back is not because the Leafs have risen to the Canadiens level, but because Montreal has dropped to the depths of the Leafs.

I used to make fun of Leaf fans for throwing a parade after winning round 1. Now they do that in Montreal.

I used to make fun of Leaf fans for setting their goal on making the playoffs and not winning it. Now they do that in Montreal.

The Leafs are going nowhere. Remove the massive media influence and people would be talking about the Leafs as much as they would be talking about St. Louis.

This is my whole beef with the Souray situation and the Ryder thing. In reality the Habs are probably still a couple years away from contending so trading Souray was a no brainer last season as is trading Ryder if he wants to become a UFA. All you guys who are worried about how we will replace a 30 goal scorer will be even more upset when you get ZERO in return for him next summer.

It is pointless to get excited about what cap space Huet and Ryder will open up because nobody wants to sign here. So everything Bob will accomplish in the next 2-3 years will be from within and from trades.

I am still excited about the future. We do have this kid named Carey Price remember

We play them 8 times, thats a possible 16 points. There was only 16 points separating 2nd place and 9th place in the East this season. Either we keep pace with our division rivals at the VERY LEAST or take up another sport.

I for one would suggest tennis. ^_^

We play them 8 times, thats a possible 16 points. There was only 16 points separating 2nd place and 9th place in the East this season. Either we keep pace with our division rivals at the VERY LEAST or take up another sport.

Tennis???

What a waste of all the leg strength they have built over the last 20+ years.

Bobsledding is the only way to go, they should be able to run on ice at least.

FONCTIONNEMENTS FRAIS!

There was a note in the Journal deMontréal this morning that the hearing date for Ryder arbitration

was the 30 july.

It is disappointing because the hearings starts the 20 july.

The sooner would have been the better.

It's so funny, I'm checking all the threads today and none of them are on topic. I think as fans, the T.O games are important just for bragging rights. For the players it's probably a whole different story. That's what we should do with Ryder :lol:

There was a note in the Journal deMontréal this morning that the hearing date for Ryder arbitration

was the 30 july.

I disagree, Gainey can negotiate with Ryder or trade him before the arbitration date. I'd like to give them as big an opportunity as possible to get this done without heading to arbitration.

was the 30 july.

I disagree, Gainey can negotiate with Ryder or trade him before the arbitration date. I'd like to give them as big an opportunity as possible to get this done without heading to arbitration.

Agreed. Let's sign him to a multi-year contract.

Agreed. Let's sign him to a multi-year contract.

i think he's also a UFA at end of this season. 3 years, 9.3 million. do it.

Michael Ryder AKA Brian Savage... why do we always have one of these guys... lets sign him to a one-year deal and trade him during a hot streak. We have many solid players waiting in the wings... cheaper players.

Michael Ryder AKA Brian Savage... why do we always have one of these guys... lets sign him to a one-year deal and trade him during a hot streak. We have many solid players waiting in the wings... cheaper players.

The only part of that statement I disagree with is the timeline.

I'd like to have it done now ( 2 weeks ago really) and have the new addition from the trade here for the entire camp to get to know our system and the players.

it would eliminate the growing pains and adjustment period completely.

Either way MOVE RYDER NOW!!!

unless we're willing to throw this year under the bus and just let youth develop, i dont see how we're in a position to lose a 30 goal man (who, frankly, could be a 40 goal man). folks were moaning about lack of scoring last year.....

would i package him for marleau, sure, but sam jose isnt dumb

The front page Ryder article needs an edit or two. It's difficult to read with run-on sentences, missed punctuation, etc. That kind of stuff is fine for the forums, but should be edited for the front page of the site. Kudos for the piece, though.

Out of curiosity, is the dislike for Ryder mainly due to his yearly arbitration filings, or is it that people find serious flaws in his game?

The front page Ryder article needs an edit or two. It's difficult to read with run-on sentences, missed punctuation, etc. That kind of stuff is fine for the forums, but should be edited for the front page of the site. Kudos for the piece, though.

Out of curiosity, is the dislike for Ryder mainly due to his yearly arbitration filings, or is it that people find serious flaws in his game?

I think it's both to tell you the truth.

His on ice performance is not pretty, but he has contributed with 30 goals for the past three seasons (close enough). I think most fans feel if he was to have a consistent effort night in and night out he would be an elite player in the NHL.

His contract squabbles every year just add more focus to the bad parts of his game because it always seems like he is unhappy with any or all offers he gets. Plainly said...it pisses off the fans that he can work so hard to get "what he is worth" at contract time and yet display a lack of energy and effort on the ice.

I can't imagine the arbitration filings (I believe this year will make it 2, so maybe a bit premature to call yearly) help Ryder's image, but I think the major problems a lot of people have with him are his perceived one dimensionality and perceived inconsistency.