Oilers make an offer to Vanek

MAK

Offers to RFA's inflates the overall market for players in the long run. Extremely stupid of Lowe.

*sighs* They should have put an article in the CBA against these idiotic and desperate GMs.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Offers to RFA's inflates the overall market for players in the long run. Extremely stupid of Lowe.

*sighs* They should have put an article in the CBA against these idiotic and desperate GMs.

Not really... Higgins, Komisarek, and Plekanec all took less money than what Kesler got a year ago, even though they had proven way more.

And besides, the cap only allows a certain % of league revenues to be paid to the players... so these salaries could be artificial. If anything, Vanek signing this deal, and especially guys like Timmonen and Briere signing front loaded deals, hurts the lower end players because all escrow payments are equal %. So, if the NHL spends more on players than revenues were allowed, the players don't actually get the full value of their salary.

Good job Darcy! :clap:

Does Lowe go after Parise now? :wacko:

I hope he offeres 5 million to Ryder.

Man Your so Right!

I have never been a fan of this RFA abroad signing but I have to say I applaud Lowe.... had Gainey been in the same situation ..."Wives gasping at the sign of Northern lights) I would have expected BG to do likewise.... at lkeast attempt it.. Buffalo should have signed Vanek before and they screwed it up! if there was one player to do it to it was VAnek and the ball was on Buffalo's court... GEeesszzz after day 2 of free agency they should have prepared for that and offered VAnekk 3 or 4 Mil ! Boy have the Buffalo GM's learned a lesson this off season!!!

Bonus side for us Buffalo has aprox 4 Mil less to play with ...

Ha ha! Buffalo ends up having to pay Big 'V" the Big "$". I'm loving this so far, buffalo has been crapped on bad by the league; they will be calling up minor leaguers by the six pack, to fill in for the empty spots on the big team.

Where does all this leave Lowe? I Hope he's still shopping for RFA's? And if so I'm sure the habs would love four more first round picks for Ryder. The summer just got more interesting and after an exciting UFA deadline, we can sit back and enjoy a fun ride to training camp.

By the way, I do agree with KoZed! this will have a big effect on the rest of the league. We have just witnessed yet another taboo in the world of GM's being tested.

I'm afraid of the fallout from this affair.

But it was fun fun fun..

GO LOWE GO!

Edited by Chips

Hehe, then we take the picks and trade them all for Marleau, lol! Too bad SJ didn't sign a center. I think Marleau will only be traded now if he demands a trade after the club clearly was willing to throw him on the curb two-three weeks ago.

Hehe, then we take the picks and trade them all for Marleau, lol! Too bad SJ didn't sign a center. I think Marleau will only be traded now if he demands a trade after the club clearly was willing to throw him on the curb two-three weeks ago.

if such an RFA/picks flip were to be pulled off, it might be one of the greatest GM moves since Pollock.

http://www.canuckscorner.com/weblog/nhllog...down_but_n.html

The biggest winner this morning after my favourite general manager stepped up and offered Thomas Vanek $50 MM to abandon Buffalo's sinking ship?

Sidney Crosby. As we speak, Bob Gainey is making sure he has at least $10 MM in cap space for next season. Will he get a $100 MM offer?

:clap:

I hardly think Buffalo's ship is sinking. Don't forget about Tim Connolly, who missed almost all of last season. He'll step right in and fill a spot on the top line. Drew Stafford is agreat prospect and will get a great chance to build on his experience from this last season. Buffalo has done a great job of building from within, I wouldn't count them out.

I hardly think Buffalo's ship is sinking. Don't forget about Tim Connolly, who missed almost all of last season. He'll step right in and fill a spot on the top line. Drew Stafford is agreat prospect and will get a great chance to build on his experience from this last season. Buffalo has done a great job of building from within, I wouldn't count them out.

I agree about Buffalo. Except Connolly won't stay healthy, but still they're very strong. Their top line actually was Vanek-Roy-Afinogenov, even though they got labelled the "3rd" line... production wise they were the best. I really think Stafford is an excellent player, though. I remember the '04 draft hoping he'd fall to Montreal's spot but we still got a great guy in Chip anyways so I'm not bitter or anything.

I was just applauding the notion of nabbing a superstar next offseason. Wishful thinking, but it's fun.

if such an RFA/picks flip were to be pulled off, it might be one of the greatest GM moves since Pollock.

It would almost be like trading #1 (Joe Barry Carroll) and #13 (Ricky Brown) overall for Robert Parish and #3 overall (Kevin McHale).

Does Washington have any RFA's? The Oilers should be going after them.......all of them to get the Cap's payroll to rise given the recent Nylander fiasco... :rolleyes:

Does Washington have any RFA's? The Oilers should be going after them.......all of them to get the Cap's payroll to rise given the recent Nylander fiasco... :rolleyes:

Funny... And the Caps are still paying on some of Jagr's contract. Bet they cannot wait to get that contract off their backs.

Great move by Lowe - he had to do something, he was in a desperate situation. Vanek is as worth the money as anybody is. In 7 years 7.1M will be a bargain for him.

Buffalo HAS to match - but then how do they clear out the space in order to sign him?

That is just dirty pool. Lowe should do what every body else does, tey to sign or trade players. The Oilers are 2 years removed from the cup and it comes to this, he kind of has himself to blame.

As for Buffalo, they'll be fine. They work hard and still have alot of players.

Four (4) first round draft picks is definitely worth considering. Chances are the Oilers will still suck and those may very well turn out to be very good picks.

If I was Ryan Miller, I wouldn't like what's happening to the Sabres right now.

As for Lowe... I for one hope it will be Bobby Clarke & Ryan Kesler pt. II.

Buffalo HAS to match - but then how do they clear out the space in order to sign him?

Briere and Drury leaving kinda cleared out a bit space...

Or you can look at it the other way and say that they let them walk because they had no capspace to sign them. And now they'd have to give Vanek a huge raise.

By the way, guys, Buffalo matched the offer.

If I was Ryan Miller, I wouldn't like what's happening to the Sabres right now.

You can hardly blame the Sabres. I mean, they matched every offer Drury got, but he still decided to go elsewhere. Philly made a very risky offer that they were unwilling to match. They've got Tim Connolly coming back and he was the equal of those two offensively in 05-06 and is now back to 100%. They've got Stafford with some experience ready to break out. Buffalo obviously lost two great players, but they're not circling the drain or anything.

Or you can look at it the other way and say that they let them walk because they had no capspace to sign them. And now they'd have to give Vanek a huge raise.

With those two gone, Buffalo said they were planning on a 40 million payroll with room to grow if needed. And I read that after it was obvious they were matching the offer. Including Vanek, they have 40 million for 11 forwards, 6 d-men, and 2 goalies. Roy and Paetsch need new deals, then they just need another depth guy. They're fine moneywise.

No, no, you can't blame the Sabres, Drury and Briere had decided to seek their fortune (no pun intended) elsewhere, that much is certain.

Personally, if I had to chose one of the three to re-sign of Briere, Vanek and Drury, it'd be Drury in a heartbeat though.

Personally, if I had to chose one of the three to re-sign of Briere, Vanek and Drury, it'd be Drury in a heartbeat though.

As much as I love Drury, at this point in time, I'd pick Vanek over him without a second thought. Yes, Drury brings a lot to the table in terms of leadership and effort, but Vanek has superstar potential. Drury has never topped 70 points, while Vanek just put up 84. Vanek is only 23, Drury is soon to be 31. Vanek is a guy who's gonna be challenging for the Richard Trophy on a regular basis.

Yeah, but Drury is a clutch player, and so far Vanek has showed nothing of that. He's basically had one good (regular) season. A very good one, yes, but only one.

Looks like poor management by the Sabres. I'm pretty sure they could have signed Vanek for much less than that before he got that offer from Edmonton. Then they could have used the exceding money to make a better offer to Briere or Drury.

Anyways, Buffalo got screwed up this UFA/RFA season and this is just good news for the rest of the North-East division :D

Looks like poor management by the Sabres. I'm pretty sure they could have signed Vanek for much less than that before he got that offer from Edmonton. Then they could have used the exceding money to make a better offer to Briere or Drury.

Anyways, Buffalo got screwed up this UFA/RFA season and this is just good news for the rest of the North-East division :D

Actually they addressed this on the radio today. Vanek's agent knew there was going to be at least one offer and decided to wait. Drury was going to the Rangers no mater what! Briere was going for the top$$$ plus Biron helped him there.

However, as a rule you are close to 100% correct in that the conga line of player movement out of Buffalo is long as they are slow to address their own UFA and RFA. As you can tell the only sports radio in my region I listen to is Buffalo.

The Leaf station Fan590 :puke: today was too busy talking to Leaf Coach Maurice :puke: to even realize the Vanek thing was going on. Center of the universe mentality.

Edited by InsaneAVSfan

Buffalo will be fine. They still have Afinogenov, Roy, Connolly, Vanek, Pominville, Kotalik, Hecht, Stafford etc with some promising guys like Zagrapan and MacArthur waiting in the wings. It sucks that they lost some great players but, some of those guys will improve on becoming NHL calibre threats(Vanek and Staffy for example) and the injection of some young skiled talent should keep the Sabres competitive. They'll get through this. ^_^

As for Lowe, limited options for the Oil right now but he'll do something. Very soon is my bet.