Which young guys will crack the roster

umpalumpa55

With a few spots open on the roster, but a whopping load of prospects waiting, who will crack the line up next season. (someone who knows how should make a voting pole)

I would try something like this

Higgins Koivu Ryder

Kovalev Smolinski Latendresse

Kostitsyn Plekanec Grabovsky

Begin Chipchura Lapierre

First three lines should all be able to score

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With a few spots open on the roster, but a whopping load of prospects waiting, who will crack the line up next season. (someone who knows how should make a voting pole)

Higgins Koivu Ryder

Kostitsyn Plekanec Grabovsky

Begin Chipchura Lapierre

you forgot about kostopoulos, murray( he won't play)

I'm pretty sure that Latthi was brought to play in mtl.

I can see chichura being a regular call-up like lapierre last year.

the only guy that I think has a REAL chance is O byrne.

HigginsLahti Koivu Ryder

Kostitsyn Plekanec GrabovskyHiggins

BeginGrabovsky Chipchura Lapierre

I still can't see a spot for Begin when Grabs has so much potential, and I still don't like that he is on the fourth line. The fourth line has 3 centres...a trade MUST be made here, even if it is just to move a body with a pick in return.

Edited by Habitforming

HigginsLahti Koivu Ryder

I still can't see a spot for Begin when Grabs has so much potential, and I still don't like that he is on the fourth line. The fourth line has 3 centres...a trade MUST be made here, even if it is just to move a body with a pick in return.

I see your point, but Begin won't be off the team next year. 1) he costs too much for us to move him, 2) his work ethic is too strong, so he's BG and Carbo's kind of guy...

I think it's more likely that Chipper will get injury call ups and won't make the team out of camp, while maybe Lahti will actually play on the third or fourth, while Grabs will get a chance on the first... I've never seen Lahti, so it's hard to say if he'd fit well on a grinding/banging line, but I'd imagine it would make more sense to give Grabs minutes on an offensive line and Lahti minutes on the crash and bang line...

Ryder, Begin and either Boullion/Dandenault (throw in a pick for all I care) for Marleau.

Issue solved. :lol:

Well that would be one way to clear the deck!

I think it would have to be more creative than that to get Marleau. Even though he is UFA after next year?

I say Price will make the team as he stood out last year at training camp.

Edited by InsaneAVSfan

most likely grabs and chips start the season in the AHL. Kostopolis and Begin get the 4th line winger job.

oops, yes, I completely forgot Kosto... I really do agree that Chips won't start in the NHL. Grabovski is a wild card in my opinion, but he'd have to have an INSANE camp, because right now, Kosty is ahead of him based on the fact that he played so well with Higgins/Plex last season, and there are only a few spots left for them... I really do wish there were more spots open so the kids could come up, but I guess the coaches/GMs know better and if they felt they were ready, they wouldn't have gone out and filled out the roster spots with Smoke and Kosto. Then again, maybe there's a trade coming? It's still early in the off-season, a lot could happen between now and training camp.

most likely grabs and chips start the season in the AHL. Kostopolis and Begin get the 4th line winger job.

oops, yes, I completely forgot Kosto... I really do agree that Chips won't start in the NHL. Grabovski is a wild card in my opinion, but he'd have to have an INSANE camp, because right now, Kosty is ahead of him based on the fact that he played so well with Higgins/Plex last season, and there are only a few spots left for them... I really do wish there were more spots open so the kids could come up, but I guess the coaches/GMs know better and if they felt they were ready, they wouldn't have gone out and filled out the roster spots with Smoke and Kosto. Then again, maybe there's a trade coming? It's still early in the off-season, a lot could happen between now and training camp.

I agree.

But here is my biggest fear. We have signed some marginal help this offseason (Smokie and TKO) and yes they will help the team, but they are already limited in what they can produce. We don't know the limitations of Grabovsky at all.

Grabovsky is already 24 I believe, At what point does he get his shot?

Next year his contract is up...is he going to do the same thing Jansevski and get sick of waiting for a DESERVED shot at the NHL and walk to another team to get it?

Grabovski is definitely a guy (potential wise) that could haunt our dreams and playoff chances for years....All in the Name of TKO, Smokie or even Begin??

No Thank you

make a deal for future's if you have to Bob...You're letting the talent you always refer to rot for no reason at all.

This exact situation is coming back as well. In 3-4 years we are going to have the 10 defenseman we drafted in the last 3 drafts in a similar log jam and some team is going to get another Beauchemin or better from us for nothing.

I agree.

But here is my biggest fear. We have signed some marginal help this offseason (Smokie and TKO) and yes they will help the team, but they are already limited in what they can produce. We don't know the limitations of Grabovsky at all.

Next year his contract is up...is he going to do the same thing Jansevski and get sick of waiting for a DESERVED shot at the NHL and walk to another team to get it?

Grabovski is definitely a guy (potential wise) that could haunt our dreams and playoff chances for years....All in the Name of TKO, Smokie or even Begin??

No Thank you

make a deal for future's if you have to Bob...You're letting the talent you always refer to rot for no reason at all.

This exact situation is coming back as well. In 3-4 years we are going to have the 10 defenseman we drafted in the last 3 drafts in a similar log jam and some team is going to get another Beauchemin or better from us for nothing.

I agree with you on this. The prospects we have coming up are mostly top line guys, and on Forward, the guys we signed in the offseason are grinders who can fill out the team with depth, but they're taking away space from the top line potential kids. I would prefer if space was cleared and players like Kosty/Grabs DEFINITELY got to make the team this year. I'll say here that if we let those kids make the team off the bat and went with them and missed the playoffs this year, I'd be okay with that... in the long term, I think it would be better experience for them and the team would grow together at least.

Part of the problem is that it's not actually Smoke and Kosto taking up the roster spots for Grabs and Kosty, it's Ryder and Kovy. Kovy's untradeable for reasons we've been over a hundred times (salary, attitude, poor performance) and Ryder, even though he'll almost definitely be gone next year, he's our ONLY scorer right now, and i'm not sure we can lose him. I would rather these two spots went to Grabs and Kosty. I'm also wondering what kind of player Lahti is? Is he a grinder taking up space too? or is he offensive? If so I don't mind him getting that roster spot and that time...

Another problem: Carbo favours the defensive players, so that's what Gainey's giving him, but these prospects could be superstars and they aren't really getting their chance.

i REALLY do hope there's a trade coming to clear some room. I wouldn't mind 3 offensive lines and banging/crashing line instead of 2 offense, 1 checking and 1 banging/crashing... The problem is that as it stands with the line up, it looks like we're going with Model #1, and that won't give these guys much of a chance.

For the D prospects, I made the same point about too many of the same position all maturing at once in the draft thread... It is a bit of a concern. I don't know how they plan to manage it...

I agree.

No Thank you

I agree with you on this. The prospects we have coming up are mostly top line guys, and on Forward, the guys we signed in the offseason are grinders who can fill out the team with depth, but they're taking away space from the top line potential kids. I would prefer if space was cleared and players like Kosty/Grabs DEFINITELY got to make the team this year. I'll say here that if we let those kids make the team off the bat and went with them and missed the playoffs this year, I'd be okay with that... in the long term, I think it would be better experience for them and the team would grow together at least.

Part of the problem is that it's not actually Smoke and Kosto taking up the roster spots for Grabs and Kosty, it's Ryder and Kovy. Kovy's untradeable for reasons we've been over a hundred times (salary, attitude, poor performance) and Ryder, even though he'll almost definitely be gone next year, he's our ONLY scorer right now, and i'm not sure we can lose him. I would rather these two spots went to Grabs and Kosty. I'm also wondering what kind of player Lahti is? Is he a grinder taking up space too? or is he offensive? If so I don't mind him getting that roster spot and that time...

Another problem: Carbo favours the defensive players, so that's what Gainey's giving him, but these prospects could be superstars and they aren't really getting their chance.

i REALLY do hope there's a trade coming to clear some room. I wouldn't mind 3 offensive lines and banging/crashing line instead of 2 offense, 1 checking and 1 banging/crashing... The problem is that as it stands with the line up, it looks like we're going with Model #1, and that won't give these guys much of a chance.

For the D prospects, I made the same point about too many of the same position all maturing at once in the draft thread... It is a bit of a concern. I don't know how they plan to manage it...

As far as Lahti is concerned... a scout/friend of mine said he is offensive minded and can control games on his own.

It will be nice to see if he can translate that into the NHL. They better give him a chnace to prove it though.

HigginsLahti Koivu Ryder

I see your point, but Begin won't be off the team next year. 1) he costs too much for us to move him, 2) his work ethic is too strong, so he's BG and Carbo's kind of guy...

I think it's more likely that Chipper will get injury call ups and won't make the team out of camp, while maybe Lahti will actually play on the third or fourth, while Grabs will get a chance on the first... I've never seen Lahti, so it's hard to say if he'd fit well on a grinding/banging line, but I'd imagine it would make more sense to give Grabs minutes on an offensive line and Lahti minutes on the crash and bang line...

Is Lahti a first line type player??? He stats and brief bio make him out to be more of a third liner/depth player. I'd rather see the habs give a chance to Grabovsky or Kostitsyn on the first line with Koivu.

I also think Gainey brought in Smolinski as a 2nd liner - which i think is a BIG mistake.

It will be pretty hard for young players to get a spot unless they really deserve it.

Or if some players ahead of them gets hurt.

To name a few that deserved a chance to compete but will be block by a depth move.

Locke : Center with offensive upside, he is stuck behind Plekanek and Smolinski.

Grabovski : Rocket with offensive upside, stuck behinf Plek but can be moved to wings on a top two lines if Ryder, Kovy out.

Ferland : Effective two way player but will be considered easier to dum then Lahti or Kostopolos.

Chipchura : Good physical two way center, considered oo slow he is stuck behind Lapierre and Smolinski

D'Agostini: Stuck behind the Kots brothers.

O'byrne : Unfornutely Dandenault looks in the game plan.

Price: Money is an issue there, but he is the only one than can save our butt and play 50% +.

Big Kots will have to show amazingness at camp, will make the team anyway but 10 games don't make a career, hope he don't sit on it.

Latendresse : If he doesn't produce enough can now see AHL time, he now as the pressure the score and shoot.

For forwards, there's only one regular spot, basically Perezhogin's spot from last year. Grabovski and Lahti are the most likely candidates, Locke is going to be given a look and Chipchura is likely headed back to Hamilton... he is definitely in the Lapierre role from last year. Ferland & Milroy aren't likely to be looked at for that regular spot, but they, along with Murray, will battle for a reserve spot. It'll be interesting to see if either of these 2 get one way, league minimum deals. For all 3 of them (Murray included), it's their last shot with Montreal. If they don't make the team in training camp, they're done unless injuries get really bad next year and they clear re-entry waivers.

Remember that we also have 8 d-men right now in the mix if O'Byrne is here to stay. We could start the season with all 8 under contract and Streit could get that open forward spot.

There are many potential scenarios, but likely only 1 or 2 new young players (not including Kostitsyn, Halak, Lapierre, etc) will crack a healthy Habs roster in training camp.

HigginsLahti Koivu Ryder

Is Lahti a first line type player??? He stats and brief bio make him out to be more of a third liner/depth player. I'd rather see the habs give a chance to Grabovsky or Kostitsyn on the first line with Koivu.

I also think Gainey brought in Smolinski as a 2nd liner - which i think is a BIG mistake.

What stats are you talking about?

If your talking about his European numbers while in Finland...they are dominant numbers, especially in the playoffs.

Right now he is 6'2" 205 lbs LW and has a hard accurate release that likes to hit (like all Finns do) we badly need someone with his game in the first line LW spot. IMO Lahti will be the reason we can afford to trade Ryder.

Smolinski will not see the 2nd line centre role. Pleks/higgins/Kosty are already there.

Edited by Habitforming

PK Subban is clear that he wants to be on that list: "My mindset is to make the team in September. If you don't have that mindset why bother?"

Globe&Mail story

Get him to montreal and make him at least an assistant captain. That confidence might spread through the team and make them invincible. I love this kid, I hope he becomes a star and brings the cup to the habs, it would be awesome.

As far as Lahti is concerned... a scout/friend of mine said he is offensive minded and can control games on his own.

It will be nice to see if he can translate that into the NHL. They better give him a chnace to prove it though.

That's quite a relief. I wasn't sure what kind of guy we were looking at. I hope he is offensive, because I figure he'll be in the line up next year and that's what we're missing. If he brings both scoring and grit, he'll more than make up for Ryder... Still, it's important to note he hasn't done anything in the NHL just yet.

Grabs has seniority on Chipper...so I see him getting a shot, but maybe on the 4th line. People seem to forget that Chips was an AHL rookie last season, he can do with another year there (I think thats why they brought in smoky for a yr). Here is what I hope for:

Grabs - Koivu - Kovy/Ryder (Grabs is a hard worker who will do well with Koivu as an attempt. one of Kovy/Ryder need to be let go)

Higgs - Pleks - Kosty (This line deserves a chance to thrive)

Lats - Smoky - Lapierre (Shut down/irritant line with 2 centers for face-offs)

The Greek - Chipper - Lahti

Extra: Streit, Begin

on D now...

Marky - Komi (Why mess with success)

Hammy - O'B (Hopefully he can teach O'Byrne how to play like Phaneuf)

Gorges - Dandy (Give Gorges a chance...he has potential dammit! If that fails, put Streit on full time)

Extra: Streit, Bouillon

Goners: Murray, Kovy/Ryder (no matter what the permutations...either one of Kovy or Ryder need to go to make room for youth.)

Hope I didn't miss anything. Won't comment on goaltending...that is another can of worms. By the way...this is simply what I would LIKE to see, not a prediction.

Edited by cfposi