Game Thread | Montreal vs. Maple Leafs | 11/13/07

Spider-Man NL

I don't think we should start wondering what this team will be like in January and February...that is too far away. I thikn the boys are concentrating on the 2 games this week-end. and we should do the same. The month of November is gonna be crucial and very difficult for our boys. The Habs play in Buffalo on fridaythe 16th, Boston on saturday the 17th, Ottawa on Monday the 19th,. Then they play the Islanders in New-York on the 21st and then there are 2 more games against the Sabres, friday the 23rd in Bufflao, and saturday the 24th at the Belle Centre. Finally they play the Leaves again on tuesday the 27th in Toronto and finish the month off against Martin Brodeur and the Devils in N-J on the 30th.

Talk about a rough month! If they can come out of these last 8 games with at least 5 wins, i'll be happy!

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think we should start wondering what this team will be like in January and February...that is too far away. I thikn the boys are concentrating on the 2 games this week-end. and we should do the same. The month of November is gonna be crucial and very difficult for our boys. The Habs play in Buffalo on fridaythe 16th, Boston on saturday the 17th, Ottawa on Monday the 19th,. Then they play the Islanders in New-York on the 21st and then there are 2 more games against the Sabres, friday the 23rd in Bufflao, and saturday the 24th at the Belle Centre. Finally they play the Leaves again on tuesday the 27th in Toronto and finish the month off against Martin Brodeur and the Devils in N-J on the 30th.

Talk about a rough month! If they can come out of these last 8 games with at least 5 wins, i'll be happy!

considering that 5/8 would be a 100+ pt season, I would have to agree.

Seriously, though, this is not an easy run of games. Look at the season - there are not that many easy games on the schedule.

considering that 5/8 would be a 100+ pt season, I would have to agree.

Seriously, though, this is not an easy run of games. Look at the season - there are not that many easy games on the schedule.

One game at a time is my philosophy for this season. Why speculate 2 weeks from now. Who knows what injuries may befall an opponent. Who knows if they will be riding a hot streak or a slump, etc etc.

Buffalo is up next, and the expectation should be a return to hard work and hopefully 2 points.

After that, we worry about the Bruins :)

So I'll talk about some trends i've seen over the last week or so.

1. Effort is decreasing, Not skating, not playing physical, not standing up for eachother.

2. Dumb penalties creeping back in

3. 5 on 5 play drying up. The first line is invisible. 3rd line isn't doing anything at either end ,

4. Shots for is decreasing, the shots against is increasing

5. transition game disappearing.

Side note:

I would try Lats on the top line and sit ryder for a game.

I agree with most everything you said, but I'm not so pessimistic. I think it's just my nature to believe that my boys will persevere. The leafs were really able to disrupt the transition game, which was frankly disturbing, but I hope that they can get that back on track soon. I don't necessarily think that effort is decreasing, but I definitely think some guys are tightening their grips. Latendresse (who seems to blow a tire once a game) and Ryder are prime examples as many have pointed out). Smoke is starting to look befuddled too (as others have pointed out).

What really irks me is that the guys were not standing up for each other as much. I was really heartened by the Philly game, and I got some perverse pleasure from watching Koivu challenge Eaves, but I was watching the leafs game with a wings fan friend of mine and he was surprised that nobody was sticking up for Price. At the end Komi started to put some leafs into the wall, but that aspect of the habs game was absent for the most part. I think that is one area where the young leadership can help out. Perhaps if this falls off too much, Lapierre might get a shot.

As I (and you and others) have said before - Lats needs to get a shot in lieu of Ryder. I wouldn't pull the Kostitsyn/Ryder double switch, as Habitforming says that is too much instability on the scoring lines.

I think our shot differential will improve once somebody triages the first line, kostitsyn gets used to the second line (which is already pretty good), Chipper continues to get used to the NHL (pretty darn good already) and the lower d lines get sorted out (who will win? gorges? streit? bouillon? O'Byrne?!?)

Edited by simonus

I agree with most everything you said, but I'm not so pessimistic. I think it's just my nature to believe that my boys will persevere. The leafs were really able to disrupt the transition game, which was frankly disturbing, but I hope that they can get that back on track soon. I don't necessarily think that effort is decreasing, but I definitely think some guys are tightening their grips. Latendresse (who seems to blow a tire once a game) and Ryder are prime examples as many have pointed out). Smoke is starting to look befuddled too (as others have pointed out).

What really irks me is that the guys were not standing up for each other as much. I was really heartened by the Philly game, and I got some perverse pleasure from watching Koivu challenge Eaves, but I was watching the leafs game with a wings fan friend of mine and he was surprised that nobody was sticking up for Price. At the end Komi started to put some leafs into the wall, but that aspect of the habs game was absent for the most part. I think that is one area where the young leadership can help out. Perhaps if this falls off too much, Lapierre might get a shot.

As I (and you and others) have said before - Lats needs to get a shot in lieu of Ryder. I wouldn't pull the Kostitsyn/Ryder double switch, as Habitforming says that is too much instability on the scoring lines.

I think our shot differential will improve once somebody triages the first line, kostitsyn gets used to the second line (which is already pretty good), Chipper continues to get used to the NHL (pretty darn good already) and the lower d lines get sorted out (who will win? gorges? streit? bouillon? O'Byrne?!?)

Great job. I agree with most of what you said.

Bear in mind, as well, that when the first line struggles it eventually puts more pressure on everyone else. Once Koivu/Higgins/(sigh)Ryder start finding the handle again, it will help the team as a whole.

Bear in mind, as well, that when the first line struggles it eventually puts more pressure on everyone else. Once Koivu/Higgins/(sigh)Ryder start finding the handle again, it will help the team as a whole.

the second line might fix this insofar that teams might start lining up their top lines against them in lieu of the koivu line. Given a bit less attention, the Koivu line could start clicking again.

Funny you should mention that, it was Bouillon who hit Tucker during the penalty kill which took him a few seconds out of the play. Then Wellwood scored with waaaay too much space and time in front of the net.

I'm sure Bouillon stands up better than Gorges would against the hulking Leaf forwards, but Gorges has the better breakout pass.

So, it's kind of a trade off. Do you take Bouillon's physical tolerance (which is a better fit to combat the Leafs cycle) but worse breakout pass, or do you have Gorges get tossed around more than Bouillon but actually manage a tape to tape pass and help the Habs break the zone with speed?

Like I said, Bouillon's problem is not his toughness, it's his 5'8 reach. This is a serious handicap to his defensive game when he's trying to play defence against giants like Sundin, Antropov, or most of the Leafs forwards who are over 6'2. He can't intercept passes as well, poke check, or corral loose pucks.

With the exception of Ryder, i'm not really worried about our first line. Higgins and Koivu have been working very hard out there. They've been creating chances, and had Ryder not been on this slump, all three of them would easily have an extra 5-6 points to their stats sheet.

It'll start going in for Higgins and Koivu, but I think they need a change on the right wing. Ryder is sapping their strength and reducing the morale of that line. Get some young legs with them on the first line for little while, but don't touch the second line! Leave Kostitsyn, PLex and Kovy together!

Edited by Habsfan

Guys excellent discussion great to read.

One more positive though check out this quote from Kovy in the globe.

"This game you have to give credit to all those guys who kill penalties, Steve Begin, Bryan Smolinski, all those guys," Kovalev said, in reference to the Leafs going only 1-for-7 on the power play. It would have made a big difference if they didn't kill those penalties." (Globe and Mail)

Guys excellent discussion great to read.

One more positive though check out this quote from Kovy in the globe.

"This game you have to give credit to all those guys who kill penalties, Steve Begin, Bryan Smolinski, all those guys," Kovalev said, in reference to the Leafs going only 1-for-7 on the power play. It would have made a big difference if they didn't kill those penalties." (Globe and Mail)

not to mention that Kovy himself had a bit of PK time (.7% of his TOI). :)

WOW! What's going on with Kovy. He's handing out compliments to his teammates. The attitude in the dressing room must really be good!

Thinking about Ryder, wasn't it his lack of finishing that lead to the fall from grace of one Mr Riberro?

Edited by johnnyhasbeen

Thinking about Ryder, wasn't it his lack of finishing that lead to the fall from grace of one Mr Riberro?

yes and no. Ribeiro was shipped out of Montreal because of his attitude. He thought he was "all that" and I guess Bob didn't like that. I can understand why Bob wanted to get rid of Ribeiro, but i still think the habs got screwed on that deal. Today Ribeiro seems to have matured and is the leading scorer for the Dallas Stars, while we got an injured d-man who was making 2.4 million$ and only played about 40 games for us. Bob got the shaft on that deal!

I wonder if Carbo is planning for a Grabovski or Latendresse first line and is trying out Kosto for late game defensive posture.

I hope you're right!

just caught the ESPN sportscenter top ten. Komi's goal was #3. You had to love the announcer's line: "This is very important in Canada, people!"

Cool, the habs on the ESPN top 10. I didn't know ESPN actually talked about the NHL during sportscenter!?! ;)

just caught the ESPN sportscenter top ten. Komi's goal was #3. You had to love the announcer's line: "This is very important in Canada, people!"

ONLY #3 BOOOOOOOOOO

Kidding I know thats huge for ESPN.

Cool, the habs on the ESPN top 10. I didn't know ESPN actually talked about the NHL during sportscenter!?! ;)

It seems like they are starting to do a bit more NHL stuff. I hope this is in preparation of the NHL returning to ESPN in the near future.

Latendresse played his best game of the season last night. He wasn't one of our best players, but he was strong on the puck and was controlling the play in the offensive zone on his shifts.

It's really only Ryder that has to get going and then our team is back in business.

It seems like they are starting to do a bit more NHL stuff. I hope this is in preparation of the NHL returning to ESPN in the near future.

I hope so too!

Did any of you see the full page add that the NHL took out in the USA Today a couple of days ago? They congradulated Mike Modano on becoming the all time highest scoring american born player. Now that is what I call good marketing for the NHL!

I hope so too!

Did any of you see the full page add that the NHL took out in the USA Today a couple of days ago? They congradulated Mike Modano on becoming the all time highest scoring american born player. Now that is what I call good marketing for the NHL!

I did not see that but that is very cool!