Game Thread | Habs vs. Capitals | 31/01/08

Cataclaw

I'm with you Wamsley. I for one have always hated Crosby and I always will. I hope he never , ever becomes a habs. Ovechkin? I love the guy. It's a shame he will never wear a Montreal Jersey. You can add Lecavlier to the Ovechkin list. Love that guy too. There is a tiny little window open for him to wear our sweater though, even if it's a window only in my mind I will continue to hope.

Anyone hear that washington player comments before the game started when asked about playing the habs. Not sure who it was but he said something like " The team is so fast. Their passes are hard, fast, crisp, tape to tape and they read each other on the ice really well. Probably the best I've seen in the league so far."

I sure enjoyed hearing that. It's been a while since we've had respect from other teams.

I don't hate Crosby. I think he's a better player overall than Ovechkin, and he will be for the rest of his career (not that it's cut and dry, but at this point I give it to him). He's also the biggest superstar hockey has seen in quite a while, and he's been annointed as the poster boy of the league, all of which he handles pretty well IMO. But from day one I've liked Ovechkin more, he's more entertaining and likeable.

And I would love to have Crosby on our team, we would win the Cup.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't hate Crosby. I think he's a better player overall than Ovechkin, and he will be for the rest of his career (not that it's cut and dry, but at this point I give it to him). He's also the biggest superstar hockey has seen in quite a while, and he's been annointed as the poster boy of the league, all of which he handles pretty well IMO. But from day one I've liked Ovechkin more, he's more entertaining and likeable.

And I would love to have Crosby on our team, we would win the Cup.

Ovechkin is more likeable and real than Crosby. Ovie will say what is on his mind, Crosby is the corporate shill in the mold of Gretzky and Jordan.

He offers non controversial soundbytes.

I don't know that Crosby is better overall. He has better teammates and more support. This will be debated for the next 20 years.

Ovechkin is more likeable and real than Crosby. Ovie will say what is on his mind, Crosby is the corporate shill in the mold of Gretzky and Jordan.

He offers non controversial soundbytes.

I don't know that Crosby is better overall. He has better teammates and more support. This will be debated for the next 20 years.

Ovechkin has some good teammates. Semin, and now Backstrom and Green are elite players. I don't think there will be much of a debate if they both stay healthy and Crosby continues on the insane pace he's set. But Ovechkin is more than capable of turning it up a few notches, and I'm sure both of them will be holding a few Hart trophies by the end of their careers.

You are definitely the most excited guy on this board.

Who? Moi???? :blush::blink:;) All I said was that they shouldn'T break up the kid line!

AS far as the Crosby/Ovechkin debate...i don't know which player i'd rather have? True that Crosby is more of the "perfect" pretty boy corporate shill type and that Ovechkin is in your face, but in the long run, I think Crosby will last longer, cause Ovechkin's "crash and Bang" style of hockey will wear him down. Can anyone say Forsberg and Lindros!!!

Edited by Habsfan

Haha, it was a comment of your tendency to end each sentence with an exclamation mark. Don't stop it though, it's fun!

No worries! :clap:;):D:clap:

Who? Moi???? :blush::blink:;) All I said was that they shouldn'T break up the kid line!

AS far as the Crosby/Ovechkin debate...i don't know which player i'd rather have? True that Crosby is more of the "perfect" pretty boy corporate shill type and that Ovechkin is in your face, but in the long run, I think Crosby will last longer, cause Ovechkin's "crash and Bang" style of hockey will wear him down. Can anyone say Forsberg and Lindros!!!

Possible (him lasting longer), but I am talking about who is the better player now. I give Ovechkin the edge.

Carbo made a mistake putting Smolenski and Begin on in OT but we'll cut him some slack. Hopefully those two realize how bad they messed up when their coach placed his confidence in them and step it up this weekend to gain it back.

It's simple. Crosby plays hockey but Ovechkin is a hockey player.

Easy Now.....Crosby is a hockey player too. He goes balls out every shift and loves it. He sacrifices his body every game. Yah, he sooks a bit, but he is definitely tough.

I agree that Ovechkin looks like the better of the two right now, but to say Ovy is a hockey player and Crosby isnt???

It's simple. Crosby plays hockey but Ovechkin is a hockey player.

holy bandwagon. crosby is a wizard and has x10 the press/media/canadian boy pressure that caveman does. im not saying he's better, but he aint worse.

Crosby is the greatest Hockey player in the NHL! Ovy is great, but Crosby has amazing vision, his passes and creativity are brilliant. He is strong and also plays a strong game. He may not be quite as bang and crash, but he is rugged. Ovechkin had a good game, but Sid is the greatest player in the NHL.

Yeah, it's easy to say Ovechkin is better right after he has a four goal game and Crosby is injured. But 120 points at the age of 19?

No.....it's just most fans can relate to tough, rugged, goal scoring machines and admire them as hockey players, instead of good visioned, finesse passing, light on their skates homos.

It's not really debatable, your either on one side of the fence or the other. Not that hard to figure out and really no need to argue about it. More of a preference you might say.

No.....it's just most fans can relate to tough, rugged, goal scoring machines and admire them as hockey players, instead of good visioned, finesse passing, light on their skates homos.

It's not really debatable, your either on one side of the fence or the other. Not that hard to figure out and really no need to argue about it. More of a preference you might say.

Well you just have personal grudge so I'll attribute your dumb comments to that. Crosby is hardly light on his skates, he has remarkably strong legs that make him hard to knock off the puck.

And it's definitely debatable, although it's hard to tell right now. But last season it wasn't hard to tell, as Crosby was clearly superior, the best in the league even.

Edited by Neech

I think Ovechkin can be better, but snipers are more risky.. when Crosby is stuggling, he can still get assists... I am not sure how long Ovechkin can maintain this kind of pace..

Still, this is like arguing Gretzky versus Lemeiux... I would take either and just count my blessings. :)

I think Ovechkin can be better, but snipers are more risky.. when Crosby is stuggling, he can still get assists... I am not sure how long Ovechkin can maintain this kind of pace..

Still, this is like arguing Gretzky versus Lemeiux... I would take either and just count my blessings. :)

I am in the Lemieux camp on that one. Best player I have ever seen.

Crosby and Ovechkin are different type of players. If you want to debate hockey skills then you are going to argue til you are blue in the face on either side.

I like the fact that Ovechkin bulls through things, he never complains and has never been handed the mantle of best player in the league.

If his name was Alexander Crosby and Sydney Ovechkin would the media have annointed Sid the Kid the best player in the league. I doubt it.

We would have Don Cherry wearing the Great 8's jersey on CBC weekly. We would have the media pointing out the Crosby is a diver and whiner etc etc.

I don't hear anybody calling Daniel Alfredsson the best player in the NHL? Zetterberg? But plenty will call Lecavalier the best.

Crosby has been annointed the best because the Canadian media wants him to be the best.

Crosby and Ovechkin are different type of players. If you want to debate hockey skills then you are going to argue til you are blue in the face on either side.

I like the fact that Ovechkin bulls through things, he never complains and has never been handed the mantle of best player in the league.

If his name was Alexander Crosby and Sydney Ovechkin would the media have annointed Sid the Kid the best player in the league. I doubt it.

We would have Don Cherry wearing the Great 8's jersey on CBC weekly. We would have the media pointing out the Crosby is a diver and whiner etc etc.

I don't hear anybody calling Daniel Alfredsson the best player in the NHL? Zetterberg? But plenty will call Lecavalier the best.

Crosby has been annointed the best because the Canadian media wants him to be the best.

Well no shite he was annointed by the local hockey media, that's pretty obvious. And I hear Kovalchuk, Ovechkin, Alfredsson, and Zetterberg mentioned very often in the conversation about the best player in the league, but I agree with the assessment that right now it's between Lecavalier and Crosby (with Ovechkin making a strong push in the last few weeks). And by the way, Don Cherry is hardly the fanboy of Sid, you can look to Pierre McGuire for that. Yeah, people tend to refrain from criticizing Crosby, or we don't hear it when they do, and TSN has devoted itself to showing 3 replays of each play he makes, but whenever they talk about Ovechkin they always compliment his passion, attitude and scoring ability. It's not Sidney's fault that he was hailed as the 'next one', but it's not like he doesn't deserve it and he's handled it pretty well.

Well no shite he was annointed by the local hockey media, that's pretty obvious. And I hear Kovalchuk, Ovechkin, Alfredsson, and Zetterberg mentioned very often in the conversation about the best player in the league, but I agree with the assessment that right now it's between Lecavalier and Crosby (with Ovechkin making a strong push in the last few weeks). And by the way, Don Cherry is hardly the fanboy of Sid, you can look to Pierre McGuire for that. Yeah, people tend to refrain from criticizing Crosby, or we don't hear it when they do, and TSN has devoted itself to showing 3 replays of each play he makes, but whenever they talk about Ovechkin they always compliment his passion, attitude and scoring ability. It's not Sidney's fault that he was hailed as the 'next one', but it's not like he doesn't deserve it and he's handled it pretty well.

I know Cherry is not a fan of Crosby. But if Ovechkin was Canadian he would be all over him like he was Lindros.

I have never heard Alfreddson, Kovalchuk, Zetterberg mentioned as the best player in the game. Are they mentioned in the upper echelon, yes.

But the best, not that I have heard.

Crosby is a good player, but his flaws are almost always overlooked.

Until Crosby stops all the BS whining and diving I will hold it against him. Like I said in an earlier post.

If Cube had broken his nose it would have taken over the whole context of the game. Just like Lapierre's VICIOUS spear of him (sarcasm).

It would have resulted in Crosby lying on the ice, getting up and bitching to Cube and the ref, Brashear chasing Plekanec, Kostitsyn etc around the ice seeking

revenge. TSN would have showed it and asked if it was a cheap shot, Analysts would insist this is why they need enforcers and the game would have been

taken over by the sideshow.

I know Cherry is not a fan of Crosby. But if Ovechkin was Canadian he would be all over him like he was Lindros.

I have never heard Alfreddson, Kovalchuk, Zetterberg mentioned as the best player in the game. Are they mentioned in the upper echelon, yes.

Until Crosby stops all the BS whining and diving I will hold it against him. Like I said in an earlier post.

If Cube had broken his nose it would have taken over the whole context of the game. Just like Lapierre's VICIOUS spear of him (sarcasm).

It would have resulted in Crosby lying on the ice, getting up and bitching to Cube and the ref, Brashear chasing Plekanec, Kostitsyn etc around the ice seeking

revenge. TSN would have showed it and asked if it was a cheap shot, Analysts would insist this is why they need enforcers and the game would have been

What are you guys even talking about?

SAKU RULES!!!!!!

end of story.

Whoa, you're getting out of control a bit there with your exaggerating. Had a few cups of coffee? No, not even the TSN people are blind and biased enough to call Bouillon's check a dirty hit or anything against the rules. And no one knew it was a broken nose until after the game. I've yet to see Crosby bleeding during a game, so I don't know how he'd react. I agree that the way Ovechkin responded was commendable, and I also agree that he has a much more likable personality on and off the ice. Maybe Cherry would love him if he were North American, but who really gives a shite about what that racist old loudmouth thinks? He's only one guy, and I hear plenty of positive things about Ovechkin, but it's only natural that the local media would focus on the local guy. And by the way Ovechkin's flaws are overlooked too, along with every top-tier player.

And yes, I've seen on both Sportsnet and TSN, maybe RDS but I forget, that commentators bring up Alfredsson or Zetterberg etc. when talking about the best player in the league. Some even name them as such. But as I said, I have no problem with them giving that title to Lecavalier or Crosby.

Carbo made a mistake putting Smolenski and Begin on in OT but we'll cut him some slack. Hopefully those two realize how bad they messed up when their coach placed his confidence in them and step it up this weekend to gain it back.

wow you're saying Markov loosing his stick along with a lucky deflection right on Schultz's stick who resulted in the OT goal is Begin and Smolinski's fault ???

Yah, that and he led the league at age 19...

Sure this is good timing for a Canadian hero to come around, and the media AND NHL love it. But it isnt a big stretch or media spin to annoint him the best. I think he earned it, so I disagree that it is "because the Canadian media wants him to be the best"

It doesnt mean he gets to keep the title forever. I think as long as the Ovechkin vs Crosby debate goes on, it can only be a good thing.

On a personal level, though, I agree I find myself liking Sid less with the whining, etc. I think he is very young though, and will definitely grow out of this as he matures.

Edited by CBHabs_fan