Game Thread | Habs vs. Flyers | 17/02/08

Cataclaw

After the lucky, quick 2-2 goal, nice to respond right away. Ryder gets rewarded for some of his good work today. Kovy with 3 points and on the ice for all 4 goals. Wow, with Ryder and Koivu both scoring in the same game, let alone same period. The more i see Philly the more i hate them. No wonder they are the most penalized team. Another solid effort by Price. Making some nice saves, and making them look easy.

Let's see the Habs finish the 3rd period off strong without giving up a goal.

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Finally found the answer to slumping forwards. Put them out with Kovalev!! Team is getting tough it seems. Starting to stick up for each other more and more . This is good. Gorges threw a pretty hip check early on, must be learning from the brothers? A team effort so far, lead by Alex and backed by Master Price.

As good as Pleks has been, Kovalev is making him even better. There is no doubt the way that Kovalev is playing this year that he makes everyone on his line better. He opens up so much room out there. Even on cube's goal, everyone was covering Kovalev giving Cube all the time in the world.

I just hope we don't sign Pleks to some huge contract, then have him regress when he plays with other players. His chemistry with Kovalev is great if we can keep those two together for a few more years.

As good as Pleks has been, Kovalev is making him even better. There is no doubt the way that Kovalev is playing this year that he makes everyone on his line better. He opens up so much room out there. Even on cube's goal, everyone was covering Kovalev giving Cube all the time in the world.

I just hope we don't sign Pleks to some huge contract, then have him regress when he plays with other players. His chemistry with Kovalev is great if we can keep those two together for a few more years.

I might buy that, but Pleks was our most dangerous offensive player in the second half last year when he was not playing

with Kovalev. I think it lies somewhere in between.

Edited by Wamsley01

What did I say ?

Never ever ever ever ever gloat after 2 periods... it pisses off the Hockey Gods...

Now I have to counter-jinx your gloating...

"Habs are lucky to lead 4-2 after 2 periods, but Price can't hold it... he'll crack under pressure in the 3rd... One quick goal and Philly is back in it... and we all know how the Habs are in the 3rd period... they stop playing and always let the other team back in the game..."

There... NOW the mojo is good...

Bob needs to sign Kovalev to an extension...ASAP

I think it's more than just Kovy making Plex better... Plex is exactly where he was supposed to be in his development. It was forseeable years ago. So it doesn't all lie on Kovy's shoulders...

... BUT the fact that Kovy is so talented surely helps Plex. And don't under-estimate Kostitsyn too... Chemistry means they can all improvise and the other two will play along. And God knows Kovy can improvise awesome shit so it takes 2 talented players to be able to follow...

I might buy that, but Pleks was our most dangerous offensive player in the second half last year when he was not playing

with Kovalev. I think it lies somewhere in between.

I don't mean he will suck without him, but I think he is getting a huge boost this year playing with Kovalev. I also thing that Kovy is getting a bit of a boost too, since they have that rare chemistry that can be so hard to find.

I would think Pleks would be more of a .75 to .8 point per game guy playing with Ryder and Higgins, for example. (well, actually, it might be worse with Ryder on his line.. lol). I am hoping his contract is structured based on that and we don't way over spend on him. Imagine if we had signed Higgins based on last year..

I think it's more than just Kovy making Plex better... Plex is exactly where he was supposed to be in his development. It was forseeable years ago. So it doesn't all lie on Kovy's shoulders...

Pleks was a 2 way, 3rd line guy with potential for 2nd line. He is playing at first line capacity. I don't think that was forseeable.. His play is definitely surpising (in a good way) and the line chemistry is huge. I want to see him play without Kovalev (this years kovalev) before I would pay him first line money.

Naaah... keep dangling that carrot in front of him.

I agree with that, but I think Kovy is playing for pride this year, not money. He was embarrassed by his performance last year.

If we can keep him to two year deals, that would be awesome. Not sure he would take that however. :(

Pleks was a 2 way, 3rd line guy with potential for 2nd line. He is playing at first line capacity. I don't think that was forseeable.. His play is definitely surpising (in a good way) and the line chemistry is huge. I want to see him play without Kovalev (this years kovalev) before I would pay him first line money.

I remember clearly when we drafted Plex he was strictly an offensive player compared to Milan Hejduk and Patrick Elias. He was pegged as a 2nd rounder but slid all the way to us. He only developped his defensive game in Hamilton so when he arrived in the NHL some saw him as just a 2-way guy, but he always had that offensive upside.

And he still has room to grow IMHO. The Elias/Hejduk comparison still holds true. He's got a lethal shot.

So get a poster for your bedroom.. lol... (besides, she is just a skinny kid with too much eye makeup)

I prefer more classic hockey masks for a classic org like the Habs.

I dunno, I think Avril's got a nice pair of Kostitsyn brothers. :D

I do agree that Carey's got a bad taste in masks, but hey, he's earned the right to put whatever the hell he wants. I too prefer the classic masks, I even thought Halak's mask was too much.

I remember clearly when we drafted Plex he was strictly an offensive player compared to Milan Hejduk and Patrick Elias. He was pegged as a 2nd rounder but slid all the way to us. He only developped his defensive game in Hamilton so when he arrived in the NHL some saw him as just a 2-way guy, but he always had that offensive upside.

And he still has room to grow IMHO. The Elias/Hejduk comparison still holds true. He's got a lethal shot.

He was pegged as a number 3 guy in potential by many sites. Now, I typically add one line to compensate for the anti-Habs bias, lol. Still, I think most in the league consider his play this year as a surprise.

In any case, I hope you are right and he keeps getting better. Nothing wrong with that.

I do agree that Carey's got a bad taste in masks, but hey, he's earned the right to put whatever the hell he wants. I too prefer the classic masks, I even thought Halak's mask was too much.

Carey's mask is just aweful... doesn't fit with any of the Habs jersey, doesn't fit with his gear...

Shit, I should start a hockey mask business. I'm sure I'd do better than that...