Gainey's Number Rises to Rafters

JLP

For the love of God, it was a freaking joke. :wacko: Though, the St. Louis event was pretty annoying. They didn't start it until the game was supposed to start, so it started over a half hour late, meaning the DVR cut off before the game was over.

How about you shut your pie hole when you don't know what the heck you're talking about? You should do so especially when you're going to be throwing around terms that Native Americans find offensive. There's cannon fire, and that's it. It's unique and it's fun. It's up there with the Coyote howl in Phoenix for the most unique goal celebrations. Much better than playing a lame U2 song. Don't get me wrong, the Habs are my favourite team, but don't go bashing Columbus just for the hell of it.

P.S. Columbus scores a good bit at home, it's why their home record is better than Montreal's. ^_^ Bring back to Forum!

Yeah, because the other team is even on the ice when they plant the flag and put up the Civil War video. You don't see me calling your history crap, so how about you stop calling mine crap?

I am a Mohawk and am not offended!

Edited by johnnyhasbeen

I am a Mohawk and am not offended! You Americans are too sensitive! Unless you are showing our Redneck side at the moment that is. This is so typical, I am making fun of the Yanks, not the "Rebs or Injuns" But of course you don't get that. You are to caught up in th political correct as all the youth are today to see humour when it is thrown out there. i bet you and your buddies tell some sort of jokes, say Blondes or blacks or Pollocks that are offensive if they want to be taken that way. Let go of the correctness factor and laugh and smile. life will be better. I don't believe for a second that the fact your country had to fight eachother is worth celebrating. It should be considered the darkest moment in your history. Be like Canadians celebrating the expulsion of the Acadians as a great moment in our history. You killed your own countrymen. On your own soil. That should be celebrated? Ever hear of peacefull resolution?

Edited by johnnyhasbeen

i bet you and your buddies tell some sort of jokes, say Blondes or blacks or Pollocks that are offensive if they want to be taken that way.

why would somebody make fun of Pollock? He was like the greatest GM of all time.

why would somebody make fun of Pollock? He was like the greatest GM of all time.

Oops! One tracked mind!

I am so pissed about the pie hole comment, but feel my rant should move out of this thread. This is a celebrate Bob thread, not political.

Just imagine though a team on a reservation outside Billings showing a vidieo of Custer's last stand pregame. Is that cool? Celebrating a civil war victory is like celebrating after an intersquad game.

Anyhow, I will shed a tear or two of joy for BG tonight.

From our failling hands to yours....

On a side note:

Sam Pollock walkes into a building, approaches a young man at the counter and states in a loud bold voice," I'LL HAVE A BIG MAC, LARGE FRY AND A COKE"

The young attendant says quietly, "sir, this is a library"

Pollock, at a whisper,"i'll have a big mac, large fry....."

Edited by johnnyhasbeen

My father used to tell me that Bob was the world's best player. He told me Victor Tikhonov said so as well. Being born in 1971, I remember thinking, wow, my Dad is some kind of dummy!! How could he possibly choose Gainey over my hero Guy Lafleur?? Well, as tends to happen with fathers, I later realized that he might actually have a clue about what he was talking.

Fast forward to tonight, when we're all hoping that a trade is made for a super-star. I can't help but think the player we could really use to help us secure a playoff spot and potentially go far this spring would be none other than Bob Gainey.

My father used to tell me that Bob was the world's best player. He told me Victor Tikhonov said so as well. Being born in 1971, I remember thinking, wow, my Dad is some kind of dummy!! How could he possibly choose Gainey over my hero Guy Lafleur?? Well, as tends to happen with fathers, I later realized that he might actually have a clue about what he was talking.

Fast forward to tonight, when we're all hoping that a trade is made for a super-star. I can't help but think the player we could really use to help us secure a playoff spot and potentially go far this spring would be none other than Bob Gainey.

very well said fellow 71'er .... Im also thinking why can't the other 29 GM's give him a nice surprise on the day we retire his number! come on!!! how many times will that happen! give him a break come on he deserves it!

There are many players to admire in hockey: Wayne Gretzky for his supreme on-ice intelligence and off-ice class, Mario Lemieux for his unsurpassed talent, Patrick Roy for his aura and will to win. But there is no one in all of hockey whose character I admire more than Bob Gainey. As a player, he was an archtype. As a coach, he is truly elite and vastly underrated. As our GM, he has shown the league a lesson in calm intelligence, patience, perserverance and wisdom. And the team is finally starting to show the fruits of his labours.

Thanks, Bob! :clap:

That was a good tribute, aside from the yawner of a speech given by his sister. :P The Larry Robinson one seemed more emotional, but that was probably largely due to Bob wanting to downplay it all. And I want to get me some of that younger Gainey daughter, I like the looka that! ;)

All in all I think it's cool that this organization with such a storied history that is so choosy about whose jersey gets to go into the rafters picked a defensive forward who never had a 50 point season. Well deserved.