Huet to Wash for 2nd round pick

HabsWEST

I am not disappointed at all.

I was against a trade that would have jeopardized our future for a guy like Hossa.

The big surprise is Huet's departure to Washington. It's a big move and a big vote of confidence to the two youngsters. Let's hope that they will be up to the task.

I still believe that we should have traded for JC Petit. LOL

Edited by JCPetit

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the memories Christobal...now on to the future. There has to be more than meets the eye going on here, like maybe Huet asked to be dealt? Or a secondary deal fell through? I for one liked Huet, but the time for a change was getting near anyway...I'm very comfortable with Price/Halak. Either way, makes me look much smarter for buying a number 31 Price jersey at the star of the year ^_^

This trade was stupid and pointless..

Yes Huet was struggling...but Price has NO playoff experience under his belt...I don't care what all of you Price lovers claim about Huet's playoff record, he was the go to guy for the playoffs. By doing this bob really has firstly jeopardized Price's future (his confidence could be destroyed and he could turn out to be a flop show like M.A Fleury in Pittsburgh)...Secondly, don't even put Price in the same Category at Patrick Roy right now because he is NOWHERE near Patrick Roy's caliber. Thirdly, Bob Gainey is nothing but a big Puss for not going after a player...You are having the best season since how long?...Can I get a date please?

I don't mean to be a traitor...but I really do hope Bob Gainey gets the boot as Canadiens GM....All of the moves he has done besides Kovalev really haven't been blockbusters by any means...getting rid of ribeiro...ooo congrats there Bob you just made up for a mistake, Theodore...another mistake, Samsonov another mistake. Good lord...will you all stop having so much faith in Bob and just admit that he isn't all that great of a General manager?

Even John Ferguson Junior Himself said on TSN that he didn't like the move...Look what the leafs got for Hal Frigging Gill....they even got more in return!

Talk about spitting on Huet's pride...Good Job Bob...You just made another team in the East Stronger. There is no need for any Price lovers to reply to this, lets just sit back and watch and see how much of a "Genius" Bob Gainey really is. The only way I can see him recovering for this major mistake is if he lands a UFA in the offseason.

Edited by l<OV4L3V

Yes Huet was struggling...but Price has NO playoff experience under his belt...I don't care what all of you Price lovers claim about Huet's playoff record, he was the go to guy for the playoffs. By doing this bob really has firstly jeopardized Price's future (his confidence could be destroyed and he could turn out to be a flop show like M.A Fleury in Pittsburgh)...Secondly, don't even put Price in the same Category at Patrick Roy right now because he is NOWHERE near Patrick Roy's caliber. Thirdly, Bob Gainey is nothing but a big Puss for not going after a player...You are having the best season since how long?...Can I get a date please?

I don't mean to be a traitor...but I really do hope Bob Gainey gets the boot as Canadiens GM....All of the moves he has done besides Kovalev really haven't been blockbusters by any means...getting rid of ribeiro...ooo congrats there Bob you just made up for a mistake, Theodore...another mistake, Samsonov another mistake. Good lord...will you all stop having so much faith in Bob and just admit that he isn't all that great of a General manager?

Even John Ferguson Junior Himself said on TSN that he didn't like the move...Look what the leafs got for Hal Frigging Gill....they even got more in return!

Talk about spitting on Huet's pride...Good Job Bob...You just made another team in the East Stronger. There is no need for any Price lovers to reply to this, lets just sit back and watch and see how much of a "Genius" Bob Gainey really is. The only way I can see him recovering for this major mistake is if he lands a UFA in the offseason.

I like Huet and I supported him, but think about that...Huet has 6 career playoff games experience, a lost series and he absolutely stunk in the final game of the series. It's not like we gave up any real playoff experience. Now is not the time to judge this trade, after the playoffs is the time. Listen, if the Internet was around in 1986, people would have been trashing Serge Savard & Jean Peron for risking the teams future on an unproven rookie like Roy. Note, the team that everyone picked as bottom feeders is sitting in 5th place...the sky is not falling.

Playoff experience is waaaaaaaaaay overrated. For one thing, Price is already more experienced in pressure situations than half the 30+ year old goalies in the league. He's also proven himself more in these situations than most goalies have (including Huet). And then, even if he had literally never played a playoff game at any level in his entire life, that would still mean absolutely nothing.

People said the same thing about Luongo in the past. But now that he's made in the playoffs once and lost in the second round, the knock is gone, he is suddenly a playoff goalie.

And people were still saying it about Jokinen - they're hesitant to acquire him because he has no playoff experience. He's still a franchise player, it's not like he's going to suddenly disappear when the weather gets warm.

If anything, Price's track should tell us that we have a secret weapon come playoff time.

I'm feeling good. We have a good team.

The part that sucks the most was anticipation, the rumors and long wait for nothing. Still very happy with our team.

Now it's back to work and I hope Price is up for the task. If I were Carbo Halak will be the Home net minder and Price the Road warrior. Let's see what happens.

GOHABSGO!!!!!!

A god damn 2nd... in 09 yet!! :puke:

For a back to back eastern all star, we could have at least gotten a good playoff role player, or a 1st.

Pathetic Bob, we have no playoff vets, no grit... our chances of getting 25 this year dropped for a 1/5 to a 1/25

Bullshit bob.

:puke:

Sorry for the duplication - I posed this in the rumour thread, but I think it belongs here.

I appreciate Wamsley's perspective, but it's hard to look at this and say that Gainey did not get burned.

First, if the goal was to trade UFAs you can't re-sign or don't want to re-sign - which would explain the Huet trade – then WHY KEEP RYDER? Indeed, he and Huet together could have been the nucleus of an offer to beat, say, Dallas's offer for Richards. (Just an example). So that argument is a wash. If the point was to get value back for UFA assets, Bob failed to do this. We had two significant UFAs we were unlikely to resign, Huet and Ryder, and what he we got to show? One 40th overall pick (or thereabouts), while the other is still playing out the string with us, likely to vanish in the summer.

If, on the other hand, the point was to move Huet to make room for Hedberg/Hossa, as had been rumoured right to the last second, then Waddell simply screwed Gainey over big-time, or Gainey screwed himself. Either Wadell misled Gainey into thinking they had a deal before he shipped out Huet, OR Gainey simply (and uncharacteristically) acted prematurely in shipping Huet to the Caps, before he had Hossa sealed and delivered. I'm guessing the first of these scenarios is closer to the truth. And I'll bet Gainey is even now letting it be known to the other GMs that Wadell is not a man of his word, just a dishonourable pr*ck.

The only other possibility I can see is that Gainey came to an arbitrary decision that he wanted to unload one soon-to-be-gone UFA but not another, weakening the team's depth in nets for the stretch drive. But this makes no sense, since if they wanted to give Price the #1 job they could simply have done so. If they wanted Halak as backup they could have called him up and let Huet stew in the press box.

So the only possibilities I can see are that Bob either screwed up, or got screwed. I’m betting the latter.

Playoff experience is waaaaaaaaaay overrated. For one thing, Price is already more experienced in pressure situations than half the 30+ year old goalies in the league. He's also proven himself more in these situations than most goalies have (including Huet). And then, even if he had literally never played a playoff game at any level in his entire life, that would still mean absolutely nothing.

People said the same thing about Luongo in the past. But now that he's made in the playoffs once and lost in the second round, the knock is gone, he is suddenly a playoff goalie.

And people were still saying it about Jokinen - they're hesitant to acquire him because he has no playoff experience. He's still a franchise player, it's not like he's going to suddenly disappear when the weather gets warm.

If anything, Price's track should tell us that we have a secret weapon come playoff time.

Don't get me wrong. Price is having an average season and has so far shown us to be a average goalie, don't expect him to perform a miracle.

Yes Huet was struggling...but Price has NO playoff experience under his belt...I don't care what all of you Price lovers claim about Huet's playoff record, he was the go to guy for the playoffs. By doing this bob really has firstly jeopardized Price's future (his confidence could be destroyed and he could turn out to be a flop show like M.A Fleury in Pittsburgh)...

Pitts gave up way too much for a RENTAL, only if Penguins sign Hossa it is more even...

Obviously Waddell wanted roster players, and good to see Gainey wasnt prepared to give him that, and lose Higgins etc... for a RENTAL!!!

Now how can Penguins afford to sign Hossa... Lets GET HOSSA for free during FA!!!

WELL DONE GAINEY...

Huet trade, was ala Rivet get something for a UFA...

Lose Ryder...had to keep him ( unless there is a late trade)...but not a big zero loss

I know some people will be a critic of GAINEY for not pulling the BIG TRADE...but not for the sake of the FUTURE for a RENTAl!!!

WELL DONE, even thaugh some may wanted instant satifaction...

by the way HOSSA will want 9/10 million a year from WINTERS the agent, that is the rumuor

SOMETIMES THE BEST DEALS ARE THE ONES YOU DONT MAKE

Cheers

PUT IT THIS WAY:

Would you trade HUET for HALAK and a 2nd round pick....basically what it comes down too..

DONT UNDERESTIMATE THE QUALITY of HALAK..

Who cares. Bob Gainey does not make deals to satisfy messageboards. He makes deals to strengthen the future of the franchise.

He got a pick for a guy who was not coming back and has stunk up the crease for a month. He gets to evaluate Halak, Grabovski up close

and he gets to see how not only the veteran leadership rises to the challenge, but the kids that represent the future of this franchise.

Why break the bank for a guy who was not going to resign here before testing the UFA waters?

If the Canadiens do not make the playoffs this year then he will make changes, Huet was not going to be the difference in a Cup run.

Would I have like to have seen a solid checking centre come back in return, sure. But it is not the end of the world.

Hossa will not re-up with Pittsburgh unless they want 3 9-10M players in the next 2 years. We will see how Pittsburgh feels about this deal in October

should they fail to win the Cup. BTW, they still have to play their games with Conklin, Sabourin and Fleury in net.

I had to sift through the what are we going to do without Souray posts for months, and I am sure I would have had to sift through I can't believe we gave

up all those prospects for Hossa emails come summer.

Gainey knows more about what happened than any of us, maybe Waddell pulled a fast one, maybe some deals fell through. But at the end of the day

this team is not any different than they were this morning. That is not the end of the world.

Actually, Gainey is ultimately answerable to the messageboards - the fans. Huet may have been struggling of late, but Price has certainly not played much better and certainly not enough to earn the clear mantle of our number one.

As for evaluating Halak, that's crap. He couldn't even beat out Abeshier for a job and when Price arrived, Halak quickly took a back seat. Gainey has had more than enough time to "evaluate" Halak - and found him wanting. By all accounts, Huet was a rock in the dressing room. This is NOT addition by subtraction! Who picks up that mantle?

It's true this is basically the same team it was yesterday [except we have a shiny new pick!] except we no longer have any kind of safety net in goal going into the playoffs [if we make it that far]. It's not so much we didn't get Hossa, it's that we didn't have any kind of plan B. The problem is some of our rivals have made moves to try and address perceived weaknesses [rightly or wrongly - let's hope we don't have to play Pitt or Wash in the first round]. We cannot say that in the least. What does that say to a team that is struggling at times.

You say it's all about the kids coming up, about the future. Don't the players working their ass off right now deserve a shot at a Cup?

1993 was a long time ago. Standing pat at the trade deadline and protecting prospects for the future has not translated into much the past 15 years [zero as a matter of fact], but yes, I know, this time is different, yadda, yadda, yadda....

Sometimes the best deal are the ones you don't make.

Gainey has shown in the past (Kovalev, Nieuwendyk...) that he doesn't mind making a big trade, and even give a promising rookie (Iginla) for a good chance to win the Stanley Cup. But he also has learned from his mistake, and doesn't want to pull another Ribeiro trade.

I feel confident that Grabovsky has the potential to surprise a lot of people. As for Price and Halak, they will be given the puck from now on. Let's see what they can do.

Edited by JCPetit

If it's about the future, why not trade Ryder too? That's what wrecks the whole 'we got value for a UFA' argument.

Bob got burned.

To trade Ryder would have been another mistake. His value is low right now, because he has a bad season.

Why does he have a bad season, and why Higgins is not playing better do you think?

Because of Saku Koivu, of course. For whatever reason, Saku can't play centre anymore. I don't know if it's his age, his peripheric vision, or anything else, but he is the problem. And a big one because nobody would want him right now. I predict that his contract will be terminated at the end of the season. There will be plenty of money to attract a good free agent in the summer time.

Don't worry, Gainey knows what he is doing.

If it's about the future, why not trade Ryder too? That's what wrecks the whole 'we got value for a UFA' argument.

Bob got burned.

*shrugs*

Bob has always been a big fan of Ryder and now that he's started scoring again, he may see a role for him in the playoffs. Huet on the other hand, was doing nothing except taking games away from Price and Halak. Ryder isn't taking up the roster spot of a young player. Besides, maybe Gainey is considering re-signing Ryder (I doubt it)?

Or maybe Gainey didn't want to take it all the way? Sell too much and you ruin your season. Why not sell Streit as well? I think he just figured Huet was the limit and there was no real use giving up one of the other two UFAs because they both had a role on the team. I don't think huet really had a role on this team. He was slipping into a backup role and if that's where he's going to play, we might as well have Halak there.

Those are some things I think could have been going through Gainey's mind, I can't think of other explanations.

*shrugs*

Bob has always been a big fan of Ryder and now that he's started scoring again, he may see a role for him in the playoffs. Huet on the other hand, was doing nothing except taking games away from Price and Halak. Ryder isn't taking up the roster spot of a young player. Besides, maybe Gainey is considering re-signing Ryder (I doubt it)?

Or maybe Gainey didn't want to take it all the way? Sell too much and you ruin your season. Why not sell Streit as well? I think he just figured Huet was the limit and there was no real use giving up one of the other two UFAs because they both had a role on the team. I don't think huet really had a role on this team. He was slipping into a backup role and if that's where he's going to play, we might as well have Halak there.

Those are some things I think could have been going through Gainey's mind, I can't think of other explanations.

It doesn't make sense. Sure, Ryder can bring value in the playoffs. So can depth in nets. So much for that argument.

If Bob wants to resign Ryder then I suppose this move acquires some logic. But then you have to ask why the hell he wants to resign Ryder, or even thinks he can.

Streit you don't necessarily move, because he might be worth resigning.

Sorry, I just can't see any way around the fact that Bob screwed up. All he did was weaken us in goal for the playoffs in order to gain a middling pick. Huh?

I really believe (based on rumours, and the fact that this deal makes no sense) that he moved Huet in good faith thinking he had a deal with Waddell. Otherwise this would be the first deal Gainey makes that seems to have no sound thought pattern behind it. (Even Ribeiro for Ninimaa made some sense, at the time).

Based on what I've read, Atlanta was asking way too much for Hossa. If we could've guaranteed that he would re-sign with us, then okay. But this would have been a stupid trade for a 3-month player. Pittsburg paid way too much for him and they're going to feel really stupid this summer if he doesn't re-sign with them...

- Jack

Based on what I've read, Atlanta was asking way too much for Hossa. If we could've guaranteed that he would re-sign with us, then okay. But this would have been a stupid trade for a 3-month player. Pittsburg paid way too much for him and they're going to feel really stupid this summer if he doesn't re-sign with them...

- Jack

OK. That still doesn't explain undermining our depth in nets for questionable value back.

Hopefully we can resign Hossa in the summer - that was my preferred option all along - but I'm guessing Pittsburgh has a young enough club that they can afford the cap space. As discouraging as it is, stars seem to attract other stars, and Hossa may well stay in Pittsburgh because they 'have a better chance of winning' than us. :angry:

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

It doesn't make sense. Sure, Ryder can bring value in the playoffs. So can depth in nets. So much for that argument.

If Bob wants to resign Ryder then I suppose this move acquires some logic. But then you have to ask why the hell he wants to resign Ryder, or even thinks he can.

Streit you don't necessarily move, because he might be worth resigning.

Sorry, I just can't see any way around the fact that Bob screwed up. All he did was weaken us in goal for the playoffs in order to gain a middling pick. Huh?

I really believe (based on rumours, and the fact that this deal makes no sense) that he moved Huet in good faith thinking he had a deal with Waddell. Otherwise this would be the first deal Gainey makes that seems to have no sound thought pattern behind it. (Even Ribeiro for Ninimaa made some sense, at the time).

I was also expecting us to use the 2nd in a package to get Hossa but I don't think Gainey would have done it so early, if that were the case. At any rate, he was aware that Hossa would probably only be a rental and acquiring him would be to help us win the Cup this year - so if Gainey was willing to deal Huet to get Hossa, it shows that he thought we could compete in the playoffs with Price and Halak in net (with a better offence, yes, but it seems to me that most of the complaints are because we lost our goaltending security).

Gainey is a huge believer in Price and I wouldn't even be surprised if Gainey was ready to do this at the start of the season when he pushed to have him on our team.

Cristobal Huet is a great goalie with a lot of class. Thanks for the memories Cristo, you'll be missed!!

I don't think he was a great goalie, but he certainly had a lot of class. Too bad but hockey is a business. I will sure miss him as an individual.

Actually, Gainey is ultimately answerable to the messageboards - the fans. Huet may have been struggling of late, but Price has certainly not played much better and certainly not enough to earn the clear mantle of our number one.

As for evaluating Halak, that's crap. He couldn't even beat out Abeshier for a job and when Price arrived, Halak quickly took a back seat. Gainey has had more than enough time to "evaluate" Halak - and found him wanting. By all accounts, Huet was a rock in the dressing room. This is NOT addition by subtraction! Who picks up that mantle?

It's true this is basically the same team it was yesterday [except we have a shiny new pick!] except we no longer have any kind of safety net in goal going into the playoffs [if we make it that far]. It's not so much we didn't get Hossa, it's that we didn't have any kind of plan B. The problem is some of our rivals have made moves to try and address perceived weaknesses [rightly or wrongly - let's hope we don't have to play Pitt or Wash in the first round]. We cannot say that in the least. What does that say to a team that is struggling at times.

You say it's all about the kids coming up, about the future. Don't the players working their ass off right now deserve a shot at a Cup?

1993 was a long time ago. Standing pat at the trade deadline and protecting prospects for the future has not translated into much the past 15 years [zero as a matter of fact], but yes, I know, this time is different, yadda, yadda, yadda....

LOL, unless this messageboard is filled with season ticket holders then he owes you nothing but using his experience to do the job to the best of his abilities. If he wanted to do what everybody on here wanted we would be hoping to lose tonight for more ping pong balls to get Stamkos.

As far as Halak beating out Aebischer when Price arrived....no idea what you are talking about. If you didn't notice, last season Abby was on the bench during the stretch because Halak did beat him for the job. Losing the backup to Price is not exactly an insult to Halak.

As far as what he owes the kids? See point one. Evaluating the youth movement since 93 is pointless when Gainey was hired in 2003.

In the 90s Gainey was busy turning the Stars into a perrenial 100 pt team. Sorry if I have more faith in his plan than what you have to say.

Edited by Wamsley01