2008 MLB Thread

jetsniper

Out of curiosity? (Never seen that one before.)

The data is from Yahoo Sports player profiles. There's a tab for "situational stats." You can select individual seasons or all of the player's stats since 1987, the first year they have stats from, I guess.

yeah, out of curiosity. I'll have to check that out. Most analyses I've seen have found little year-to-year correlation with situationals.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah, out of curiosity. I'll have to check that out. Most analyses I've seen have found little year-to-year correlation with situationals.

His are pretty consistent. Only one season where his average with RISP was within 20 point of his average with the bases empty.

His are pretty consistent. Only one season where his average with RISP was within 20 point of his average with the bases empty.

his career OPS with bases empty is all of 6 points higher than his career OPS with RISP. I'd expect most of these situationals to look virtually identical to each other. The only reason I can think that RISP numbers would be better is that sac flies are considered non-events, but then again that might be slightly offset by fielder's choices being considered outs.

Hamilton basically beat baseball.

Thanks Big Lead:

Let this be a lesson to you, kids. Ignore the old maxim of "Don't do drugs." Instead, follow the wisdom of "Do drugs, then stop doing drugs."

Aha! It worked.

Morneau tags up on a Young sac fly, AL wins for the 12th straight time. Francona was pretty funny to watch when Morneau was called safe, I'm sure he breathed a huge sigh of relief.

Waiting on the MVP, I voted for Drew a whole bunch of times just because of his homer. And seeing a Boston player take it in Yankee Stadium would be oh so sweet.

Waiting on the MVP, I voted for Drew a whole bunch of times just because of his homer. And seeing a Boston player take it in Yankee Stadium would be oh so sweet.

absolutely, not to mention getting on base 4(!!!) times and some pretty good defense.

absolutely, not to mention getting on base 4(!!!) times and some pretty good defense.

Well it helped he got stuck in the game after the AL ran out of roster players. You're right though, I think he deserves it.

I have a feeling a pitcher might get it though, I hope I'm wrong.

YES! DREW!

It sure would've been frustrating if the AL hadn't of won though, they had so many chances that they never capitalized on in extra innings. I was getting annoyed watching the game.

(Suck it Yankees, Red Sox MVP!)

"It was brief, to say the least," Drew said with a smile. "It was a little weird … as the game went along, I think they forgot I hit a home run and [the taunting] picked up again."

I think this pretty neatly sums up Drew's career.

BTW, Francona said that Drew was going to be the first position player to pitch if the game kept going.

There's a difference between not loving playing and not loving watching. I love to play board games, but I would never sit back and just watch other people play video games. I enjoy teaching most of the time, but I don't enjoy watching other people teach, unless they're hilarious. Etc.

There's a difference between not loving playing and not loving watching. I love to play board games, but I would never sit back and just watch other people play video games. I enjoy teaching most of the time, but I don't enjoy watching other people teach, unless they're hilarious. Etc.

well how do you think the students feel?

ba-zing!

well how do you think the students feel?

ba-zing!

Before I respond, yes I know that you are joking. I just want to respond to it as if it were serious, just because I can. :lol:

I might enjoy watching a teacher teach science or history, since I'm not as fresh on those subjects, so I might relearn something. Watching math be taught is just plain boring. I spent many hours watching teachers and it sucked. When you're not learning anything and not being entertained, it's pure boredom. As a student, I could enjoy a boring teacher as long as I was learning and somewhat liking the material. Reminds me of a favorite teacher in college. You could tell he was bored teaching, as if he was going over complex theories in his head as he wrote on the board. Monotone speaker and not enthusiastic at all. Maybe once a week a dry humorous remark. One of my favorite teachers and classes, because I learned the material and enjoyed doing it.

Back to baseball, the Reds suck.

Before I respond, yes I know that you are joking. I just want to respond to it as if it were serious, just because I can. :lol:

Half-joking. Some teachers just suck, dude, and even if you don't know the material and want to know more about it, a bad teacher will ruin it for you.

• 2 weeks later...
So simonus, lose Manny and get Jason Bay, what are your feelings there?

Should be noted that this deal isn't done yet (but close). Interesting to note though that Boston is paying Ramirez's full salary for this season just to get rid of him.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20...sp&c_id=mlb

Griffey Jr. to the other Sox appears all but done as well...