Toronto H

Montreal A

Buffalo A (following night)

Buffalo H

Boston A

Montreal H

Toronto A

Boston H (following night)

So they are pretty even, but if there is a slight advantage it is ours. We have 6 home games out of last ten while they have 5 (although we have been good on the road, I still think home ice is an advantage for us). Plus they have two back to back situations, while we have one.

Both of us play Boston, Toronto, and Buffalo twice. These are tough games for both the Habs and the Sens. The major difference is that we have the Islanders tonight, while they have the Hurricanes tomorrow. Hopefully this can work in our favour.

The key is obviously the two remaining games we have head to head with them, and if one team takes both of them they have the clear advantage. But I think we could still pull this out with a split in those games, making our head to head record 2 and 6 against them.

So it'll be an interesting final stretch to say the least, and right now the odds look pretty even.

Edited by Neech

I was thinking last night that the Habs will most likely end up with an undesirable first round matchup unless we finish first overall. Finishing in second will likely leave us with the Rangers we struggle badly against them. Finishing in fourth will leave us with either Pittsburg or the Devils. Our recent success against NJ notwithstanding, it would be a tough series.

For Boston or Philly we need first place overall.

I was thinking last night that the Habs will most likely end up with an undesirable first round matchup unless we finish first overall. Finishing in second will likely leave us with the Rangers we struggle badly against them. Finishing in fourth will leave us with either Pittsburg or the Devils. Our recent success against NJ notwithstanding, it would be a tough series.

Of course it's fun to look at the standings and predict who we should play, but I wouldn't worry about it too much. I'd take on anyone at this point. Seriously......just friggin glad to finally be in the play-offs 2-3 weeks before they start is a nice change. Teams are flipping positions so fast. If we were to end up in first I'm not so sure we would get Boston or Philly. Phillly has been crap lately and dropping, while Boston has slumped and they play us twice and Ottawa twice. This leaves a fat window open for Buffalo and Washington to climb in, who have been playing well. Washington would not be a good first round opponent that's for sure.

The team I fear most is Pittsburgh. Sid just has it in for us and that's not good, maybe Price would have something to say about that, but everyone else? we can beat...... even Ottawa.

Of course it's fun to look at the standings and predict who we should play, but I wouldn't worry about it too much. I'd take on anyone at this point. Seriously......just friggin glad to finally be in the play-offs 2-3 weeks before they start is a nice change. Teams are flipping positions so fast. If we were to end up in first I'm not so sure we would get Boston or Philly. Phillly has been crap lately and dropping, while Boston has slumped and they play us twice and Ottawa twice. This leaves a fat window open for Buffalo and Washington to climb in, who have been playing well. Washington would not be a good first round opponent that's for sure.

The team I fear most is Pittsburgh. Sid just has it in for us and that's not good, maybe Price would have something to say about that, but everyone else? we can beat...... even Ottawa.

I disagree. I'd rather play Pittsburgh than Ottawa or Carolina.

Thing is, we have a good chance against any other team (yes, including Washington) except those three. I'd love Washington, who would play either Olie (who sucks away from home against us) or Huet (who we've been scoring on for the past two years in practices). Ovechkin would be trouble, but our (Belo-)Russian contingent could take theirs any day, and our D is (somehow) stronger than theirs. Streit = Green, Markov > Poti, Komisarek > Morrisonn.

But they won't make it in, and neither will Buffalo. I'm calling it. Just like I picked that Ryder would never make it in the NHL.

I disagree. I'd rather play Pittsburgh than Ottawa or Carolina.

Thing is, we have a good chance against any other team (yes, including Washington) except those three. I'd love Washington, who would play either Olie (who sucks away from home against us) or Huet (who we've been scoring on for the past two years in practices). Ovechkin would be trouble, but our (Belo-)Russian contingent could take theirs any day, and our D is (somehow) stronger than theirs. Streit = Green, Markov > Poti, Komisarek > Morrisonn.

But they won't make it in, and neither will Buffalo. I'm calling it. Just like I picked that Ryder would never make it in the NHL.

That is the only reason Huet would worry me even more so than Ovechkin. Sure, we may know all his weak spots, but he knows our scorer's tendencies, our plays, our game strategies. To top it all off we also know that he can be really good too.

Ottawa, Carolina, NYR etc.......They are just good teams we can and need to beat. Washington and Pittsburgh have an extra edge that we don't. A couple of players that want to beat us..... just because. I don't like that. It would almost be like the Leafs grabbing the eighth spot and us in first. I know we have a better team, but I wouldn't be comfortable........ I don't think I need to explain that one.

If we win the division we'll finish 1st or 2nd, there's no way the winner of the Northeast will finish below the winner of the Southeast. Boston, Philly, Buffalo, Washington and the Rangers are the teams that will be fighting for the final three playoff spots. Out of those, the Rangers are the only one that actually scare me as much as one of the teams we'd face if we finished 5th. Washington is the next most feared, but they're the least likely to even make it in. Boston and Philly, on the other hand, are the two ideal matchups for us, judging by the regular season at least.

Edited by Neech

Hopefully the Sens will drop points against the Canes tomorrow.

they lost 5-1 !! yeah Canes !! :clap:

Carolina is slapping Ottawa. 4-1 in the 3rd. Looks like Ottawa is losing their game they had on hand on us.

Before the Canes game, they had 2 games on hand.

Now, they still have 1

Playing the Bruins, Flyers, Washington, Pens doesn't scare me at all. Pens can't defend, Huet won't come through, Bruins can't score and Flyers just suck all around. I actually don't think they'll make it anyways.

Ott has our number, but give us 7 games to solve Gerber (Emery), I think we'll do it.

I think we can take Buffalo, with difficulty.

Two teams that worry me are Rags and Devils.

I'm thinking out of our last 8 games v our division, we can win 6. Tall order, but we'll probably need to do it to win the division and finish 1st or 2nd, hopefully avoiding Rags. I'm thinking sweep of B's and Buff, splits with Ott and Laffs.

The fact that there is even a thread like this is very exciting. Go Habs!

Not much difference between anyone that makes the playoffs and the two or three that will be just on the outside. It doesn't matter what team you cheer for, cause you are definitely a little nervous about that first round opponent. Ex. NJ fans are probably not over the moon about having to take on Buffalo, who has recently woken up. Anyone that gets dealt the Habs in the first round is crying about the powerplay and speed. I wouldn't want to play the Pens. The only teams that I would really think are weak are the Rangers and Flyers, and it's possible that neither even make it in.

I bet we play Buffalo in the first round.

The Rangers are a sleeping giant.

If they get goaing and the team buys into Tom's defense again they will be tough to beat.

Well, before this past weekend spring break trip to Florida, they weren't asleep that's for sure. They had an insane streak of games in which they earned points in... which dated back before the "Best. Comeback. Ever." game.

I am just glad the Habs should make the playoffs. I don't think Rangers or Ottawa are as good as some make them out to be in the sports media. Rangers are old up front for their stars like the Habs, and Ottawa gets pushed around by teams like Carolina.

Now Carolina is a team that would worry me. Big strong and re-enforced with corvo and Eaves which they sorely lacked. I have to say Carolina will finish high, make a good run in the playoffs. If Habs finish first in their division I am seeing second round playoffs for the team as the bottom three teams will be slightly easier to play.

The race to the top should be fun, more fun than the Leafs race to the bottom. :lol:

Unless the Habs finish first overall, we will play Carolina after the first round.

They are a lock for third, which means they won't play first overall until the conference finals. Chances are, they'll play the Rangers, who I don't see jumping ahead of us, Pittsburgh, NJ or Ottawa in 1,2,4 and 5, but that would be a blessing in disguise.

If we can hold on to first in the Northeast, Ottawa would play either NJ or Pitt, who they are 2-2 and 4-0 against respectively (although Hossa and Conklin could turn things around). And we would have a good chance of beating Philly, Boston and the Sabres to get through to the next round, if we were in 1st/2nd in the conference.

But I don't see that happening. I reckon we'll hit 5th overall, after losing both games to the Sens this year (despite winning all the others, it won't be enough), and then lost in five or six games to Pitt, who will finish 4th, behind the Devils. If they don't, we could feasibly beat the Devils, and advance to play in the second round against ... Carolina.

I'm not looking forward to these playoffs. I think Barry Melrose has jinxed us.

Playing the Bruins, Flyers, Washington, Pens doesn't scare me at all. Pens can't defend, Huet won't come through, Bruins can't score and Flyers just suck all around. I actually don't think they'll make it anyways.

I don't understand how you could not be scared of the Pens. Yeah, they don't have the best defense. And their goalies aren't too great on paper. But this is the same Conklin who leads the league in save percentage somehow, and either him or Fleury could pull a good performance out the hat. Even with being weak on the back end, this team has Crosby, Malkin, and Hossa! They will have two lines to put on the ice at any time that are legitimate first lines on most teams in the league. Plus they have very good offensive defenseman. They could simply overpower an opponent. It is defense that wins championships, but in the East there aren't too many stellar D units; ours is among the better ones, but it's not elite. The Penguins aren't first in the conference - in the toughest division, with the league MVP watching from the stands - for nothing.

I don't understand how you could not be scared of the Pens. Yeah, they don't have the best defense. And their goalies aren't too great on paper. But this is the same Conklin who leads the league in save percentage somehow, and either him or Fleury could pull a good performance out the hat. Even with being weak on the back end, this team has Crosby, Malkin, and Hossa! They will have two lines to put on the ice at any time that are legitimate first lines on most teams in the league. Plus they have very good offensive defenseman. They could simply overpower an opponent. It is defense that wins championships, but in the East there aren't too many stellar D units; ours is among the better ones, but it's not elite. The Penguins aren't first in the conference - in the toughest division, with the league MVP watching from the stands - for nothing.

No teams in the East scare me. Would I rather see the Habs play the Bruins in the first round? Of course.

But the Pens have just as many flaws as the Habs do, flaws they did not address at the deadline.

The habs can beat anybody in the playoffs, and could probably lose to anybody in the playoffs. Just like the Pens can.

I have seen plenty of teams with prolific offenses get buried by poor goaltending, pourous defence or facing a hot goalie.

New Jersey is the opposite of Pttsburgh. Ottawa is a more rounded version of the Pens (less offense, better D and shitty goaltending).

If history has taught anything, it is at the heart of 95% of upsets lies a hot goalie or a brutal one. Conklin is garbage

and Fleury has shown to be fairly mentally weak. Not exactly a tandem I fear.

Edited by Wamsley01

Thanks Wamsley, that's what I was getting at.

Pens gun, gun, gun, because they absolutely have to. They have to keep the puck away from their own end, away from their sh*te goalies who will crack under pressure. They play piss-poor team d and guys like Plex and the Kostisyns would have a field day. Also Markov, Hammer...you get what I mean.

Of course, our goalkeeping could tank and theirs be hot, and we'd be out. But I fell way more comfortable going in with Price and Halak than Conklin and Fleury.

Let them have 50 shots from the outside, score a couple. We're a higher scoring team than they are and can get 3-5 a game - plus (I think) we'll get clutch saves in a 3-3 game, they won't. That is why the Pens don't scare me.

Tim Thomas has an awesome save pct.

No teams in the East scare me. Would I rather see the Habs play the Bruins in the first round? Of course.

But the Pens have just as many flaws as the Habs do, flaws they did not address at the deadline.

The habs can beat anybody in the playoffs, and could probably lose to anybody in the playoffs. Just like the Pens can.

I have seen plenty of teams with prolific offenses get buried by poor goaltending, pourous defence or facing a hot goalie.

Yeah, we're all on relatively the same level. But the Pens might be the best team in the conference, and it's easy to write off their team. Just like it's easy for other fans to write off our team. We don't watch them each game and know the strengths of each of their lines, just like a Pens fan wouldn't give two shits about Sergei Kostitsyn while we know what he can do, even when he's not producing on the score sheet.

Both teams have flaws, and I'd say we're about an equally formidable opponent. The Bruins or Flyers, on the other hand, are not. There's no team like Anaheim in the East who I feel we'd have to pull off a miracle to beat, but all of the top six we'd have to play very good playoff hockey to knock off, and that makes them scary. Of course we can't underestimate the bottom two either.

New Jersey is the opposite of Pttsburgh. Ottawa is a more rounded version of the Pens (less offense, better D and shitty goaltending).

If history has taught anything, it is at the heart of 95% of upsets lies a hot goalie or a brutal one. Conklin is garbage

and Fleury has shown to be fairly mentally weak. Not exactly a tandem I fear.

I agree that it'll come down to goal-tending, unless both teams get terrible performances in nets. And that works to our advantage, because Price has a better track record of being clutch than Fleury or Conklin.

We didn't take advantage of our game against St. Louis, so hopefully the Blues can make the Sens pay as well, in regulation!

But at least if the Blues lose they'll keep pace with the Leafs for the lottery.