2008 Habs Draft thread

MAK

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, but I can already hear them all now: "Too small a forward! We need a big bruiser." :rolleyes:

It's so true but it's not like Kristo is a soft player. IMO, if he's brought up the right way, Timmins and co made a good pick in my books. Time will tell nonetheless.

Yes, but I can already hear them all now: "Too small a forward! We need a big bruiser." :rolleyes:

how big is sergei ??

timmins sure does love those americans

and he loves them from minnesota !!

Edited by marky_and_komi

he's Bound to North Dakota, so another college boy !!

with his size, he'll need all of his 4 years to fill up

Edited by marky_and_komi

Sounds like a good pick. Has great speed, seems equally good as a playmaker & scorer. Not very big & strong, but strength can be worked on. Another draft & follow college bound player.

DANNY KRISTO Jun 18, 1990 EDINA, MN US 5' 11" 172 USDP USA U-18 RW

From TSN: One of the better skates in the draft, scouts like the young American's effort and rate him as a solid second-rounder.

From NHL Central Scouting: Danny is a strong kid, but not a very big, physical kid. He has very quick feet and he's very smart. He's clever with the puck, he can set people up and he can finish. Sometimes he can take himself away from his best assets - thinking and skating and using his hands – and he tries to knock big guys down and he physically can't, but he's got that bite to his game.

geez Louise, there are many players from the Q going in the 2nd and 3rd round. too bad there wasn't any in the firts but montreal would've taken Deschamps had they kept their pick.

86 MTL STEVE QUAILER Aug 5, 1989 ARVADA, CO US 6' 3" 184 USHL SIOUX CITY RW

I like the size !! he must've played with pacioretty

4th 116 MTL JASON MISSIAEN CHATHAM, ON CA 6' 8" 193 OHL PETERBOROUGH Goalie

freaking 6'8 lol

4th 116 MTL JASON MISSIAEN CHATHAM, ON CA 6' 8" 193 OHL PETERBOROUGH Goalie

freaking 6'8 lol

Good pick just hope he is good enough to be a bchup in the Nhl in the furture.

Of course Timmins and the organization loves Americans. Quebec born players pay a lot in tax. Thus, the Habs have to pay more to Quebecois players to be on par with other teams for net income. The 2nd bracket of highest tax is for Canadians not born in Quebec. The third is American born players. Finally, Europeans have the lowest and we have many of them too. I believe that this is a big reason we are going after Americans a lot in the draft.

It was good that BOb added Tanguay. Arguably the best (at his position/play making style) Quebec born players in the NHL! BOb makes you forget about Americans being drafted. Clever.

PATRICK JOHNSON Apr 21, 1989 MADISON, WI US 5' 9" 155 WCHA U. OF WISCONSIN C

Let it be known... Timmins loves Americans.

This is "Badger" Bob Johnson's grandson, and former 1980 US Olympian Mark Johnson's son. As you may remember, "Badger" Bob was the head coach of the 1991 Pittsburgh Penguins, who was diagnosed with brain cancer after winning the Stanley Cup and died within a year, leading to Scotty Bowman taking over the Penguins job.

"It's a good day for hockey"

BTW... the nickname "Badger" comes from the U of Wisconsin Badgers.

Maxim Trunev is looking like a good pick. This is a post on HF:

"Aww, ****. As an Oiler fan, I congratulate you on an excellent pick.

He was one of my major sleepers for this year in the DobberHockey.com Prospects Report:

"If Trunev were born 8 days later, he'd be in the '09 Draft and would probably be talked about as a first rounder. As it is, the diminutive forward posted an impressive season with Severstal's farm club, leading them in every major statistical category. A fan favourite, Trunev doesn't just deke- his quick feints make a puck appear as though it has been deked through an opposing player's stick or skates. Topping it off are bursts of acceleration that the young Russian expertly employs in order to cut defenders wide. He'll be a special player if he adds some muscle.""

This is the pick we got in the Tanguay deal and I think that, in the fifth round, this is the kind of player we should have been aiming for: a high-potential, offensive, forward. I think we did the same thing with Kristo.

Timmins says he's talking up some QMJHL managers to get Trunev picked in the CHL Import draft and brought over to major junior next season.

Kristo seems like a fairly safe pick... from what I gather, at worst he's a Jan Bulis/Shean Donavon type. But he could be a potential gamebreaker but more likely a good complimentary player who is very coachable... not unlike Chris Higgins.

The homerun swings were definitely Trunev, Missiaen, and Quailer. If one of them works out, to go with Kristo as a "safe" pick, then it's a successful draft. Johnson sounds like a longshot, but hey, let's see how his college career goes.

Make way for the Montreal Americens ... ?

And I love how we have a 6'8 goalie. Maybe Gainey will get him on a diet of Krispy Kream, Poutine and Molson X for the next five years, so he'll just have to sit down and fill up the net.

Make way for the Montreal Americens ... ?

And I love how we have a 6'8 goalie. Maybe Gainey will get him on a diet of Krispy Kream, Poutine and Molson X for the next five years, so he'll just have to sit down and fill up the net.

has anybody ever made the transition from goalie to enforcer?

Timmins is very excited about and he even believes he will start work in the CHL this year. He compares him to Sergei Kostitsyn in the way that he was developed. He seems like a huge sleeper and has top line potential.

Quailer is the other one I'm excited about as he's big, talented and a good skater. He could definitely be a solid asset on a second or third line. I have no objections to the constant injection of Americans to our lineup as we do not need immediate help. Players 3-5 years away are just what we need.

Timmins says he's talking up some QMJHL managers to get Trunev picked in the CHL Import draft and brought over to major junior next season.

I would rather him talk to the Hunters and get him in London.

I would rather him talk to the Hunters and get him in London.

hell yeah !! he would be afraid to play physical or at least not afraid of getting hit.

As for as Timmins loving Americans is concerned, he's really only drafted Americans for the last couple years. From 2003 and until 2007, Timmins had only selected 3 Americans out of 33 picks.

Considering the amazing results of the US programs in the last few years, it's only normal to be giving Americans a very good look, and Timmins sure isn't the only one doing so. The NDTP is doing a great job while the NCAA has become just as good - if not better - than the CHL for developping young talents (not to mention that - at least in my opinion - they produce players that are more mature and far more educated).

Even the USHL is becoming an increasingly good league for U18 players, and they're now not that far away from the CHL (or at least the Q since the OHL and the WHL are still producing a lot of great young talents). Where the USHL stops being competitive is following the draft since they lose almost all their best prospects to the NCAA/CHL (ex. Pacioretty, Stastny, Petricki ...).

Otherwise, I'm very happy about Steve Quailer. I've been following him since the beginning of the season, and he's a pretty good overall player with practically no weaknesses, althought he doesn't do anything amazingly well either. Timmins is definitely changing the face of the Montreal Canadiens with guys like Pacioretty, Latendresse, Quailer, McDonagh, Chipchura, Conboy, O'Byrne, Valentenko ...