Roster Predictions for the 2008/2009 Season

l<OV4L3V

last thing I heard from the Alex Henry camp is that he was told honestly by the Habs, that most likely going he'll spend the totality of the time in Hamilton, yet .....he could always get called up if we have an injury... or fou--five...

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right now...

Tanguay - Koivu - Kostitsyn

Kostitsyn - Plekanec - Kovalev

Higgins - Lappiere - Latendresse

Begin - Chipchura - Laraque

With Sundin in a red, blue and white uniform he would take the spot as first line centre and Koivu would be demoted to third, Lappy to the fourth and Chipchura to Hamilton.

What will happen to Kostopolus? Trade or will he split duties with Laraque?

Why bother splitting duties?

Kostopo can't do everything Laraque can, but Laraque can do everything Kostopo can but harder.

C

Plekanec

Koivu

Lapierre

LW

Higgins

Kostitsyn

Latendresse

Begin

RW

Kovalev

Kostitsyn

Laraque

Kostopoulos

Alot depends on where Tanguay goes. I'm thinking Carbo will try him anywhere and see what gels.

If you ask me, personally, I'd want to see this:

Tang-Plex-Kovy

Kosty-Koivu-Kosty

Higgins-Laps-Lats

Kosto-Begin-Laraque

For some reason I thought Laraque was a LW.

Tanguay - Sundin - Kovalev

A. Kostitsyn - Plekanec - S. Kostitsyn

Higgins - Koivu - Latendresse

Begin - Lapierre - Laraque

I think big George is going to be playing a larger role on this team that just as a fighter. He can actually play hockey. I see him getting a regular shift and maybe 10-12 mins per game. He is big and he can hit

C

Plekanec

Koivu

Lapierre

LW

Higgins

Kostitsyn

Latendresse

Begin

RW

Kovalev

Kostitsyn

Laraque

Kostopoulos

Alot depends on where Tanguay goes. I'm thinking Carbo will try him anywhere and see what gels.

If you ask me, personally, I'd want to see this:

Tang-Plex-Kovy

Kosty-Koivu-Kosty

Higgins-Laps-Lats

Kosto-Begin-Laraque

But, add a Chipchura as your future 3rd line C, yet he's got

to play on the 4th line because you signed Sundin.

Might happen :clap:

But, add a Chipchura as your future 3rd line C, yet he's got

to play on the 4th line because you signed Sundin.

Might happen :clap:

Hmm, until Chipchura shows he can hand in the NHL for a full year, I'm not ready yet to put him as a future 3rd C. Lapierre is starting to grow into that role more and more.

Gainey said if Sundin doesn't sign, Chipchura would have to "play his way off the team," so he's currently our 4th line centre.

Bégin and Kostopolous were healthy scratches for stretches last year... I assume they are the two that get subbed in and out when the lineup is 100% healthy. Hopefully those days are over for Latendresse, and he sticks in a more productive role.

Dandy is still on this team for now. He's our 7th d-man unless Breezy comes back, and if Breezy comes back then Dandy is our 14th forward/8th d-man... the ultimate reserve.

If Sundin comes, then Dandy will have to be dealt for sure just to save cap space, and Chipchura would go to Hamilton.

Why bother splitting duties?

Kostopo can't do everything Laraque can, but Laraque can do everything Kostopo can but harder.

Bet u Kostopoulos makes a better souvlaki than Laraque... :ninja:

Edited by Helmethead

Wow... Shows you how Respected Steve Begin is... that eve george laraque states him as an example.... Quote

"Si je me donne tous les matchs comme le fait Steve Bégin, il n'y aura pas de problème."

If I give it my all like Steve Begin does then there wont be any problems! WHo you think he's gonna be immediately best buddies with!!!!!!?!?!??!?!

Go LAraque Go!!!

:hlogo:

I also got to add!!! Except for the power play right now (which perhaps is in doubt at becoming first once again in the NHL) Needs to be proven and only proof is proof of fire... We are one hell of a team right now!!! Quite alot better than last years!!!

Go Habs GO!!! :clap:

I also got to add!!! Except for the power play right now (which perhaps is in doubt at becoming first once again in the NHL) Needs to be proven and only proof is proof of fire... We are one hell of a team right now!!! Quite alot better than last years!!!

Go Habs GO!!! :clap:

Tanguay alone makes our PP units better.... the Habs will be first again.

Hmm, until Chipchura shows he can hand in the NHL for a full year, I'm not ready yet to put him as a future 3rd C. Lapierre is starting to grow into that role more and more.

I kinda felt Chipchura was ready last year, its just because

of our depth he has held back.

Gainey said if Sundin doesn't sign, Chipchura would have to "play his way off the team," so he's currently our 4th line centre.

Bégin and Kostopolous were healthy scratches for stretches last year... I assume they are the two that get subbed in and out when the lineup is 100% healthy. Hopefully those days are over for Latendresse, and he sticks in a more productive role.

Dandy is still on this team for now. He's our 7th d-man unless Breezy comes back, and if Breezy comes back then Dandy is our 14th forward/8th d-man... the ultimate reserve.

If Sundin comes, then Dandy will have to be dealt for sure just to save cap space, and Chipchura would go to Hamilton.

I feel your pretty much bang on with most of your comments.

But, I feel Chipchura is ready and has more upside than Lapierre.

It just occurred to me that if we sign Sundin, we're not a 4 line

deep team, we're a 5 line one.

D'Agostini is knocking at the door and Stewart is close. :hlogo:

I kinda felt Chipchura was ready last year, its just because

of our depth he has held back.

Chip wasn't held back just because of our depth; he was held back because as the season picked up he got overwhelmed by the speed of the game and also because he couldnt perform in the faceoff circle.

Chip wasn't held back just because of our depth; he was held back because as the season picked up he got overwhelmed by the speed of the game and also because he couldnt perform in the faceoff circle.

You could be right !!!

So, could I.

But, I did see Chipchura play for us, and it was in

the first part of the season. He is not a 4th line C.

The speed was never a problem, people think he is slower becuase he is kind of lanky but he knows his angles, he does need major improvement in the circle though.

His play along the boards is among the best on the team he rarley looses battels in the corners, I would peg him to be a fan favourite next season.

Tanguay alone makes our PP units better.... the Habs will be first again.

Maybe not first but they'll be in the Top 5 for sure! Where they will need to improve is in the PK department! Our PK finished 15th in the league last year. If they could improve that and make it into the top 10 while keeping our PP in the top 5, we should be good!

A. Kost - Plex - Kovy

Higgins - Koivu - Tanguay

Lats - Laps - S. Kost

Are the top 3 lines, that leaves

Chips, Begin, Kostopoulous, Laraque and Dandenault for a 4th line. That means there's a bit of a situation there that doesn't necessarily NEED to be addressed, but SHOULD to avoid having a whiner Dandy. Unless BG is happy with Dandenault being the 7th dman, then we're not so bad, but that means less of a chance for Valentenko or whichever young dman prospect to get a dozen games in this season.

I think Laraque won't be sitting any games unless he has an attitude problem, so it looks to me like Chips, Begin and Kosto will rotate for the other two spots, and Dandy is 7th dman/ 14th forward.

And if we sign Sundin, then someone's going to be moving, for sure. But if we don't get the DIN, we could conceivably start the season with this exact current roster.

(why not):

Komi - Markov

Hamrlik - O'Byrne

Cube - Gorges

Dandy

If Breezer's back, I'd be surprised. But if he is, well... Bye Dandenault.

A. Kost - Plex - Kovy

Higgins - Koivu - Tanguay

Lats - Laps - S. Kost

Are the top 3 lines, that leaves

Chips, Begin, Kostopoulous, Laraque and Dandenault for a 4th line. That means there's a bit of a situation there that doesn't necessarily NEED to be addressed, but SHOULD to avoid having a whiner Dandy. Unless BG is happy with Dandenault being the 7th dman, then we're not so bad, but that means less of a chance for Valentenko or whichever young dman prospect to get a dozen games in this season.

I think Laraque won't be sitting any games unless he has an attitude problem, so it looks to me like Chips, Begin and Kosto will rotate for the other two spots, and Dandy is 7th dman/ 14th forward.

And if we sign Sundin, then someone's going to be moving, for sure. But if we don't get the DIN, we could conceivably start the season with this exact current roster.

(why not):

Komi - Markov

Hamrlik - O'Byrne

Cube - Gorges

Dandy

If Breezer's back, I'd be surprised. But if he is, well... Bye Dandenault.

As much as those three lines look good on paper (something we've all penned at some point or another in the past three days) I wanna resurrect my previous post point, that we don't have a sure proven shutdown line...

My guess is that Chips and Lapierre are the candidates to centre those lines .. there will be alot of trial and error, hopefully we will have at least one ready for that ... but the best scenario would be that the 3rd and 4rth lines (manned by those two) can be just that an able line as agitators (already are) and and energy lines as well (we know they already are) plus being amply dangerous offensively (those bottom two lines we have are what what the Canucks and the LAffs will have lol at best as their top lines!!

so the question is ...unless im wrong we still need a shut down line right? ok and we do get that top centre... we can have Koivu and/or Plek to man that shut down line (both are experienced and have the know how to do so) so status quo Carbo has a hand full of work to make that line happen, scenario two if we do get that centreman then the shutdown line is at least on paper ready!

The best defence is a good offence. Carbo matches top lines when he can: the other team's best players can't score if they don't have the puck. We don't need a 1 dimensional line like that.

I would say that at 2.5 mill per year it is so long to dandy. We don't need a 7th or 8th defence who can cover as the 13th or 14 forward and gets paid 2.5. He may want to check out a job in sportswriting since he would be spending a lot of time in the press box. :lol: get an early start on a new career. On the job training so to speak.

The best defence is a good offence. Carbo matches top lines when he can: the other team's best players can't score if they don't have the puck. We don't need a 1 dimensional line like that.

exactly what I posted before in another thread.. but Seb you don't read correctly... Shutdown line as another trait of the 3rd and 4th lines... plus the offensive plus the agitator role plus the energy line.... Otherwise why would you u even draft players like chips and Lapierre ... Thats what made Carbo and Gainey awesome they were the shutdown line and the energy line and also scored!!