Latendresse wants to be taken seriously

KoZed

Cyberpresse article: http://www.cyberpresse.ca/sports/hockey/20...-au-serieux.php

Simple put, it's Lats reaction to the ppl who mention him as a candidate to be sent down to make room for Pacioretty.

I'll translate the gist of it:

«Am I fed up? Yes, a little. But I especially cant wait to be taken seriously.»

«I dont understand (how can people talk about him getting send down). I worked on my speed this summer, I showed up to camp in great shape and I had a great camp. Sure, I can do more. We can all do more. But it's my 3rd season in the NHL, how can anyone say I should go back to the minors?» said Latendresse with a discouraged look on his.

Especially since statistics are in favor of the 21 yrs old winger.

Of the 230 drafted players in 2005, only 3 have more goals and points than Latendresse.

Who are they?

Sidney Crosby, the first overall pick by Pittsburgh; Anze Kopitar, selected 11th by Los Angeles, and Paul Stastny, the center selected by Colorado at 44th, just before the Canadien forward.

Latendresse is ahead of hyped players like Gilbert Brule - Columbus traded that 6th pick of the 1st round to Edmonton last summer - Devin Setoguchi (8th overall, San Jose), Martin Hanzal (17th overall, Phoenix), Andrew Cogliano (25th overall, Edmonton).

IN games played, onlyCrosby (213), Kopitar (154) and defenseman Marc-Édouard Vlasic (163), from San Jose, have played more games than Latendresse (153) in regular season.

When we look at the statistics of the 2005 draft class, we notice that only 50 of the 230 have played at least a game in the NHL. In factt, 18 players selected before Latendresse in 2005 havent played a game yet in the NHL.

«Is 16 goals per year alot? Is it little? I'll let people decide. Yes, we can always do better, but I think those results should get me a little more recognition», pleaded Latendresse.

Especially since he scored those 32 goals and got those 56 pts while being tossed around from a line to another and rarely getting any PP time.

Last night, Guy Carbonneau placed Latendresse at the left of Robert Lang, whom could be his regular center starting next week. Sergei Kostitsyn could patrol the left wing.

If he climbed up to the top 5 fastest skaters of the Canadien during the tests done on the 1st day of camp, Latendresse has yet to been able to measure the impact it had in game situation.

«I've yet to beat a defensemen (with speed) to go to the net, or got to a puck before a defensemen to cancel an icing call. But the improvement in my skating allowed me to be more effective in my backchecks and, especially, it allows me to join in on the rush. Its not spectacular, but I see a real improvement on the ice», has commented he who wants to be a bothersome presence around the net and along the boards.

«I have to start hitting alot again. Last year, I had trouble doing it. The thought of ending the career of Rob DiMaio - nailed by Latendresse in preseason two years ago at the Centre Bell - and to be sent to the NHL discipline board has slowed me down. I'll be more active this year.»

Guillaume Latendresse is on his third and last year of his contract with the Canadien. even if that contract has a two-way clause, Latendresse would have to be placed on waivers before going to Hamilton.

An condition which almost guarantees him a place in the Habs lineup.

Lats is not going down, but that doesn't mean his position is safe. As Ryder learned last year, the past is the past. What have you done for me lately.

Personally, I hope they keep Max up for a while (not at the expense of Lats) and if nothing else, perhaps it will give Lats that little push from behind he needs to take his game to the next level.

Frankly, I think Dandy has more to worry about then Lats.

Well, the heat on Lats seems grossly unfair and also short-sighted. The Habs need Latendresse to become the player he was projected to become, i.e., a 30-goal-scoring, impact power forward. People who are all excited about other young prospects are overlooking the fact that those prospects will also endure growth pains at the NHL level; you can't just throw 21-year-olds on the scrap pile because they're no longer the flavour of the month. Lats has another five or six YEARS (!) before he hits his prime. And unlike Ryder he is not one-dimensional. Patience and more patience is what's required here. I don't think the Habs will give up on him, but I've long worried that the fans will turn on him and that this will ruin him in Montreal.

Agreed with the Cucumber. It's ridiculous to see MaxPac and think that we can jettison Latendresse. The goal should be for us to have not one, but TWO wingers who have good size and can score. If Gui wants to become our Tomas Holmstrom type (simple style), while MaxPac becomes a bit more of a Morrow type (more dangerous off the rush), that's fine with me. Gui wants to improve and he's working his butt off, which is great.

Gui is not old news because of Pacioretty. The goal is to have each of them play in Montreal down the line, probably on seperate lines, wreaking havoc on the opposition.

Well, the heat on Lats seems grossly unfair and also short-sighted. The Habs need Latendresse to become the player he was projected to become, i.e., a 30-goal-scoring, impact power forward. People who are all excited about other young prospects are overlooking the fact that those prospects will also endure growth pains at the NHL level; you can't just throw 21-year-olds on the scrap pile because they're no longer the flavour of the month. Lats has another five or six YEARS (!) before he hits his prime. And unlike Ryder he is not one-dimensional. Patience and more patience is what's required here. I don't think the Habs will give up on him, but I've long worried that the fans will turn on him and that this will ruin him in Montreal.

:clap::clap::clap:

At least some of us can see that.

• Joe Thornton needed about 4 seasons (until he was 22) to become at least a point-per-game player.
  • One could say that Lecavalier only reached his true potential 3 seasons ago at 26 yrs old.
  • It took Iginla 5 seasons before reaching 30 goals and 70 pts when he was 24 yrs old.
  • Rick Nash might have co-won the Maurice-Richard Trophy at 20, but only last season at 24 did he finally broke the 60 pts barrier but have yet to reach 40 goals again.
  • Shanahan needed 6 seasons before enjoying his first 50-goals season back in a high-scoring era.
  • Bertuzzi needed 5 seasons to finally reach just 20+ goals.
Yet for some unfathomable reasons, fans call Lats a disappointment because at 20 he only scored 16 goals.

I know people are entitled to their opinions and can dislike players without reasons, but in this case: get real!

Yup, people had ridiculous expectations for the guy. Yeah, he was dominant in pre-season. PRE-SEASON! I don't care how many starters a team ices in pre-season, the games still don't matter and players, especially veterans, don't give 100%. They're out there just worrying about getting in shape. So of course it's easier for youngsters to kick butt during pre-season. People don't realize this, so they expected him to come right out and score 30 or 40 goals. Just the fact that he made the team shows that he was progressing faster than most other players from that draft class.

:clap::clap::clap:

At least some of us can see that.

• Joe Thornton needed about 4 seasons (until he was 22) to become at least a point-per-game player.
  • One could say that Lecavalier only reached his true potential 3 seasons ago at 26 yrs old.
  • It took Iginla 5 seasons before reaching 30 goals and 70 pts when he was 24 yrs old.
  • Rick Nash might have co-won the Maurice-Richard Trophy at 20, but only last season at 24 did he finally broke the 60 pts barrier but have yet to reach 40 goals again.
  • Shanahan needed 6 seasons before enjoying his first 50-goals season back in a high-scoring era.
  • Bertuzzi needed 5 seasons to finally reach just 20+ goals.
Yet for some unfathomable reasons, fans call Lats a disappointment because at 20 he only scored 16 goals.

I know people are entitled to their opinions and can dislike players without reasons, but in this case: get real!

GREAT post. This should be required reading for ANYONE who wants to spout off about Lats as a "disappointment." :clap:

WOW! Great points by Cucumber and Kozed. This is the REAL picture.

A few of us have already mentionned this on a couple of occasions. It takes power-forwards longer to develop! (just look at the examples given by Kozed). As long as Gui progresses in the right direction, he will stay in Montréal. Even if it does take him another 2 seasons before he can reach the 30 or 35 goal mark! The best part about it is that he'll only be 23 yers old...still a good 4-5 years away from his prime!

WOW! Great points by Cucumber and Kozed. This is the REAL picture.

A few of us have already mentionned this on a couple of occasions. It takes power-forwards longer to develop! (just look at the examples given by Kozed). As long as Gui progresses in the right direction, he will stay in Montréal. Even if it does take him another 2 seasons before he can reach the 30 or 35 goal mark! The best part about it is that he'll only be 23 yers old...still a good 4-5 years away from his prime!

The same thing is happening with John Tavares right now. The kid has been around for so long that people are beginning to pick apart his game

instead of looking at all the great things he does. It is to the point where some people are projecting him as the second pick and the second best

talent available.

There are a shit load of future NHL impact players who would embarass themselves at the NHL level as 19-20 year olds who are quietly improving in the

AHL away from this ridiculouos criticism and will seemingly emerge from nowhere at 24 years old as complete players.

He will be fine, and the bandwagon will fill up in a hurry in a couple of years

Edited by Wamsley01

Do I have to add Lafleur to the list of examples?

After 3 seasons in the NHL, Lafleur's stats were actually regressing and people were calling him a bust. You know the rest of the story.

But Lats has to be Gordie Howe right now at 20.

and that is why I am so glad that Guy and Bob are running this team. They know what they are doing.

Indeed. There are far too many short-sighted and negative people in the world. Some seem to relish seeing people fail to meet expectations, even if those expectations were unrealistic in the first place.

The only unfortunate part is that Lats seems to be frustrated by this. Hopefully he'll be able to block out the naysayers and just concentrate on continuing to advance his game, hopefully helped by encouraging words from the team's leadership who have been on the receiving end of the same kind of treatment.

and that is why I am so glad that Guy and Bob are running this team. They know what they are doing.

So true! Bob (along with Boivin, Carbo and Timmins) have not only brought some stability to this team, but they have brought back the PRIDE that we all felt for this team! :hlogo:

Edited by Habsfan

I have nothing against Lats, and I don't think he should be sent down... but...

the same people here defending Lats were the ones that were insisting he make the team 2 years ago based on his pre-season. Suddenly, what Max does in preseason doesn't matter? Suddenly people are too eager to embrace young, unproven kids? LOL...

IMO, keeping Max up has far less implications then when Lats stayed up, since we can send Max down any time. I don't think there is a logical argument to send Lats down, but there is a good argument to keep Max up for a bit and get him some experience in a real nhl game. If he excels, then yes, he may get more ice time then Lats, unless Lats shines too. That would be a great problem to have. :)

IMO, Max looks better now then Lats did when he broke in. This is not a knock at Lats, but a recognition that Max may be ready sooner then expected and this is a good thing, if Carbo can find a way to keep him in the lineup and nurture his development.

Another thing going for Lats is I think he is more capable of playing a 3rd/4th line role while Max would do better on the top lines. Unfortunately, those top line spots are not really up for grabs. Ultimately, Carbo will probably have to send him down to get more ice time.

I have nothing against Lats, and I don't think he should be sent down... but...

the same people here defending Lats were the ones that were insisting he make the team 2 years ago based on his pre-season. Suddenly, what Max does in preseason doesn't matter? Suddenly people are too eager to embrace young, unproven kids? LOL...

IMO, keeping Max up has far less implications then when Lats stayed up, since we can send Max down any time. I don't think there is a logical argument to send Lats down, but there is a good argument to keep Max up for a bit and get him some experience in a real nhl game. If he excels, then yes, he may get more ice time then Lats, unless Lats shines too. That would be a great problem to have. :)

IMO, Max looks better now then Lats did when he broke in. This is not a knock at Lats, but a recognition that Max may be ready sooner then expected and this is a good thing, if Carbo can find a way to keep him in the lineup and nurture his development.

Another thing going for Lats is I think he is more capable of playing a 3rd/4th line role while Max would do better on the top lines. Unfortunately, those top line spots are not really up for grabs. Ultimately, Carbo will probably have to send him down to get more ice time.

Pacioretty at 19 is far better than Latendrsse at 19 but our team this year is far deeper than the team we had 2 years ago. If Pacioretty made the team, either he or Latendresse would be playing regularly on the 4th line. We may as well let Pacioretty play in Hamilton until someone gets injured.

Pacioretty at 19 is far better than Latendrsse at 19 but our team this year is far deeper than the team we had 2 years ago. If Pacioretty made the team, either he or Latendresse would be playing regularly on the 4th line. We may as well let Pacioretty play in Hamilton until someone gets injured.

True, but 8 or 9 games with the big club couldn't hurt him. If there are some injuries at the start of the season, then I hope he gets the chance. Worse case is he learns what he needs to work on when he goes to Hamilton.

Look at it this way. Gainey put Lats in the fire. He put Price in the fire. He seems to like giving the kids the opportunity. If Max looks good enough to keep, perhaps Gainey will trade someone to make room.

True, but 8 or 9 games with the big club couldn't hurt him. If there are some injuries at the start of the season, then I hope he gets the chance. Worse case is he learns what he needs to work on when he goes to Hamilton.

Look at it this way. Gainey put Lats in the fire. He put Price in the fire. He seems to like giving the kids the opportunity. If Max looks good enough to keep, perhaps Gainey will trade someone to make room.

He gave them an opportunity because there was an opportunity. With Pacioretty, there is no roster spot for him. Keeping hmi would only cause us more problems and force us to find him some playing time. Keeping him for 8 or 9 games is another matter but what's the use? Even if it turns out he is already good enough to play a regular shift on the Canadiens, we'd still have to send him back down.

He gave them an opportunity because there was an opportunity. With Pacioretty, there is no roster spot for him. Keeping hmi would only cause us more problems and force us to find him some playing time. Keeping him for 8 or 9 games is another matter but what's the use? Even if it turns out he is already good enough to play a regular shift on the Canadiens, we'd still have to send him back down.

BTH is absolutely right. True that I was one of the people who was asking to have Latendresse stay in Montreal two years ago, however, the team was nowhere as deep as it is today. If htere was a spot on the 3rd line for Pacioretty, i'd say he should stay, but there is NO room for him this year. There will be room for him next year!

I feel kind of bad for Lats... He has done so much to improve himself and people still give him undeserved stick. I hope this pushes him to play even better rather than discourage him.

I hope he forces them to put him on a scoring line. I still believe that he is like Dave Andreychuk and Cam Neely and

that he needs that setup man to bring out his potential (and I am not saying he is as good as those two).

Like somebody mentioned earlier, it would not be the worst thing if he turned into a Holmstrom type player while

Pacioretty turns into Shanahan. I think Pacioretty doesn't need that elite centerman to be an elite level forward,

but I think Lats can develop into a 35+ goal scorer if he gets one.

I still have high hopes for him, but he is a different type player than Max Pac. So outside of their size and power forward

definition, I don't really think they are comparable.

I hope he forces them to put him on a scoring line. I still believe that he is like Dave Andreychuk and Cam Neely and

that he needs that setup man to bring out his potential (and I am not saying he is as good as those two).

Like somebody mentioned earlier, it would not be the worst thing if he turned into a Holmstrom type player while

Pacioretty turns into Shanahan. I think Pacioretty doesn't need that elite centerman to be an elite level forward,

but I think Lats can develop into a 35+ goal scorer if he gets one.

I still have high hopes for him, but he is a different type player than Max Pac. So outside of their size and power forward

definition, I don't really think they are comparable.

Funny enough, I think Lats has soft enough touch with the puck that he can be as good setting up linemates than he is finishing right now. He showed enough times that he's a good passer and can display some creativity. Of course, he'd need to win back that offensive confidence so he could start holding unto the puck a bit longer to start feeding his linemates.

I can see Latendresse somewhat following into the footsteps of Damphousse. Dampy broke into the league at 18 yrs old as a scoring LW, then later in his career when he had a more rounded game and experience (around 26/27 yrs old) he was moved to C and developed into a very strong 2-way C. I wouldnt be surprised at all if later in his career Lats gets moved to C. Arnott, Holik, Tkachuk are other big guys who made the same kind of switch from wing to C after some seasons in the NHL.

Depending on how Higgins performs maybe Lats can push his way on with Koivu and Tanguay. Lats did well with Koivu before. We will all jst have to sit back and let the season start. Carbo will juggle when guys slump or get hurt and hopefully Lats will get a chance to show his stuff.

Nobody is going anywhere for the time being, although there were a lot of scouts at the Bruins game. 20 I read. hmmmmmmmm.....

Funny enough, I think Lats has soft enough touch with the puck that he can be as good setting up linemates than he is finishing right now. He showed enough times that he's a good passer and can display some creativity. Of course, he'd need to win back that offensive confidence so he could start holding unto the puck a bit longer to start feeding his linemates.

I can see Latendresse somewhat following into the footsteps of Damphousse. Dampy broke into the league at 18 yrs old as a scoring LW, then later in his career when he had a more rounded game and experience (around 26/27 yrs old) he was moved to C and developed into a very strong 2-way C. I wouldnt be surprised at all if later in his career Lats gets moved to C. Arnott, Holik, Tkachuk are other big guys who made the same kind of switch from wing to C after some seasons in the NHL.

I don't think Lats can carry the puck effectively like a centre. I think he is best served getting the puck to

the centre, filling his lane and controlling the boards and finding the scoring areas.

I think he has good hands and he is a good passer, but good centers need to control the tempo of the game

as well as a soft touch and extraordinary vision. Lats will never be able to control the pace of the game.

In order for him to play centre he would need to be paired with a Kovalev type winger who controls

the pace and tempo. Otherwise I would prefer him to keep it simple.

IMO

Edited by Wamsley01