Carey Price's New Equipment

Habsfan84

What is with Carey Price's new equipment. You know the red ones he switched to coming back from his injury. The equipmnt he wore before was a nice clean white. Though this might not be a big story I really wonder why he did it?

Back last season I was reading Sports Illustrated and they were talking about Fleury of the Pittsburgh Penguins. The magazine was talking about how Fleury had changed his equipment and how it had improved him. Before Fleury wore those really bright yellow pads, glove and blocker. They said that he had switched to the new white equipment so that the shooters would have a tougher time knowing where his pads were at the time. The reason for this is because they figure the pads blend in more with the ice and the netting so the shooter will have a tougher time seeing the open area's on the net. The idea made sense to me.

Now back to Price. This is why I feel he should of kept his white pads. Now when a shooter comes down on Price they see these red pads and see all the open areas on the net. It would of been alot tougher to see if he were still wearing his whites. Though he injury had alot to do with it ever since coming back from injury and wearing his red pads he has not been to good.

Maybe you think this story is stupid but i just feel Price should consider a switch back the white pads. Plus I liked the look of them better anyways.

Price's New Red Pads

CP31_AM79_FLA_medium.JPG

Price's Old White Pads

sharks_canadiens22b.jpg

Edited by Habsfan84

What is with Carey Price's new equipment.

I would suspect Price's pads were chosen with psychological help. In the good sense. You look at the net, as a shooter, and your eyes are taken by the red - you shoot at your dominant thought. It's a particularly good theory that, while not proven beyond a doubt, it the current trend.

Usually, they say the opposite, that you want your pads to be white because it looks like the ice. A couple of years ago, Fleury's coach wanted him to switch his pads away from his neon yellow.

Red is the most dominant colour in the spectrum. This is why stop lights are red. There have been theories that this is why players hit so many posts. Colin is correct. I was wondering who would try it first.

Red is the most dominant colour in the spectrum. This is why stop lights are red. There have been theories that this is why players hit so many posts. Colin is correct. I was wondering who would try it first.

It's obvious that the red pads stand out more than the white ones. The question is whether the pads standing out is good or bad. The general conclusion is that it's a bad thing - but the difference is probably so slight that it's just superstition.

It's obvious that the red pads stand out more than the white ones. The question is whether the pads standing out is good or bad. The general conclusion is that it's a bad thing - but the difference is probably so slight that it's just superstition.

That's not the general conclusion. The jury is out. Personally, I think it's a great idea. Why do you think Kovy hits the posts? He's trying to be perfect and uses them as a guide, and surprise upon surprise, he hits them.

It's totally different trying to pick the top corner - where you're aiming just inside the post - than just trying to shoot anywhere other than a pair of flaming red pads.

It's totally different trying to pick the top corner - where you're aiming just inside the post - than just trying to shoot anywhere other than a pair of flaming red pads.

Agreed. Most players would not aim for the area around the pads. Players aim for near the post because that is a good shot.

I'm guessing Prices weares his retro brown pads today.

Edited by Habsfan84

I guess it's normal for Price to struggle a little with his new equipment. But I bet that within the next week or two, he'll be back to playing like he was before his last injury!

Yesterday, Andre came flying down the right side at high speed. Without a lot of thought, he looked at the hole and let the shot go. IRON. Because it was red. This is the theory. Your eye is attracted to the colour red and at high speed, that's where you put the puck. It's not a matter of dark or white. It's the specific colour red. I watched a program on it. I can't remember what it was called. There is even some talk about red netting behind the goalie. This would affect cameras and people watching behind the net, so I doubt it will occurr. I'm not convinced that it will work, and you may see Price let in a lot more in the 5 hole. That is just the theory, and it is known and researched by the NHL and teams.