Carbo has to go

hab29RETIRED

I think Carbo has to go. It looks like the team has quit on him. None of his decisions make sense and I really think the team has quit on him, if he was anyone else, Gainey would have canned the coach by now.

I can't believe that Price is starting, most reports say that Halak has recovered from the flu. You can't blame the last game on Price, but bottom line is that his not winning right now.

The line match ups don't make any sense - like WTF was metropolit doing on a 2 man advantage??? I also don't see why the hell he is rolling out 4 lines when they need to score.

Looks like they AK46 finally scored, but the team is just playing totally uninspired hockey. Even the 4 games they won in a row, 3 of them were because of Halak and even in the Ottawa game Halak allowed them to hang on for the win.

They are sitting in 8 place and all of the other teams are hot.

I say can the coaching staff and bring in Peter Laviolette. I know he is not French and that will piss off the Rejean Tremblay/Jean perron/Michel Bergeron crowd but bottom line is that there isn't any decent french coach out there that is available. But they need to make a move, it just looks like the team has quit on the coaching staff.

Edited by hab29RETIRED

I say can the coaching staff and bring in Peter Laviolette. I know he is not French and that will piss off the Rejean Tremblay/Jean perron/Michel Bergeron crowd but bottom line is that there isn't any decent french coach out there that is available. But they need to make a move, it just looks like the team has quit on the coaching staff.

There's a french coach we could have. Proven winner as a player, some assistant-coaching experience. He was runner-up to the Jack Adams once. Oh, wait, sorry. Forgot that he's not available, he's already coaching the Habs...

These "fire the coach" threads are some of the most useless, thoughtless, unoriginal, annoying clichés sports fans can come up with when their brains can't keep up with their frustration.

*yawn*

We need stability behind the bench more than we need to keep relying on top players who never lead us anywhere. Let the underachieving vets go, keep the coaches, take Buffalo & Ruff for example.

I think Carbo has to go. It looks like the team has quit on him. None of his decisions make sense and I really think the team has quit on him, if he was anyone else, Gainey would have canned the coach by now.

I can't believe that Price is starting, most reports say that Halak has recovered from the flu. You can't blame the last game on Price, but bottom line is that his not winning right now.

The line match ups don't make any sense - like WTF was metropolit doing on a 2 man advantage??? I also don't see why the hell he is rolling out 4 lines when they need to score.

Looks like they AK46 finally scored, but the team is just playing totally uninspired hockey. Even the 4 games they won in a row, 3 of them were because of Halak and even in the Ottawa game Halak allowed them to hang on for the win.

They are sitting in 8 place and all of the other teams are hot.

get a life

There's a french coach we could have. Proven winner as a player, some assistant-coaching experience. He was runner-up to the Jack Adams once. Oh, wait, sorry. Forgot that he's not available, he's already coaching the Habs...

These "fire the coach" threads are some of the most useless, thoughtless, unoriginal, annoying clichés sports fans can come up with when their brains can't keep up with their frustration.

*yawn*

We need stability behind the bench more than we need to keep relying on top players who never lead us anywhere. Let the underachieving vets go, keep the coaches, take Buffalo & Ruff for example.

moreover those guys never understand that a coach who can't speak french wouldn't survive in Montreal.

I don't know why they don't understand, but they are really stubborn about not understanding that. they blame the media. LoL...

Man, there would be a RIOT on Ste Catherine if the coach was James "can't speak french" Smith.

moreover those guys never understand that a coach who can't speak french wouldn't survive in Montreal.

I don't know why they don't understand, but they are really stubborn about not understanding that. they blame the media. LoL...

Man, there would be a RIOT on Ste Catherine if the coach was James "can't speak french" Smith.

Can you imagine if it was Don Cherry! :D

There would be a civil war.

Can you imagine if it was Don Cherry! :D

There would be a civil war.

I think I could easily stand a not-speaking-french coach as long as it is a veteran coach, but if they hire Don Cherry, I think I might be the one who would start the riot or the civil war.

As easy as it would be for a not-speaking-english guy to coach the Leafs.

Never said anyone else could stand it, I said I could.

On another hand, I don't think Carbo has to go. He just has to work on a better system to be played by his team and I think it goes with hiring a real defensive coach, I mean a proven stud with leadership who has coaching experience, aka not Brisebois.

In the same vein as blaming a player with a letter stitched to his shirt and how he should, apparently, be able to whip everyone into shape and, short of that, life the entire club on his shoulders?

;)

This thread is useless! Carbo IS NOT the problem! I'm not saying that he's perfect, but he seems to be learning from his mistakes.

Off topic, a bit... but how many French speaking coaches were there be in the NHL if not for Montreal hiring them first? Everyone always points to the success that Vaigneault, Therrien, and Julien have had post-Montreal... but would all these guys have made the NHL if Montreal had hired an English speaking coach instead?

The list of French fluent coaches in the NHL that have not coached for Montreal is quite small.

I think I could easily stand a not-speaking-french coach as long as it is a veteran coach, but if they hire Don Cherry, I think I might be the one who would start the riot or the civil war.

you'd understand... but you understand english too. ;)

what about die hard fans in Verdun (aside for the couple of hundreds of anglos there)? in Saint-Henri, Pointe aux Trembles, St-Hubert (aside for the couple of hundreds of anglos there, St-Jérome, The whole Saguenay area... etc.

Seriously, it would make a good case for the Parti Québécois to come back to power and ask for separation.. LOL

Pierre Curzy would have a heart attack!

Off topic, a bit... but how many French speaking coaches were there be in the NHL if not for Montreal hiring them first? Everyone always points to the success that Vaigneault, Therrien, and Julien have had post-Montreal... but would all these guys have made the NHL if Montreal had hired an English speaking coach instead?

The list of French fluent coaches in the NHL that have not coached for Montreal is quite small.

yes the list is not so big, as is the proportion of Québécois over the whole NA (6M / 350 M )

you're taking a big assumption there though. Vigneault, Julien, Therrien have always ROCKED the AHL and other minor leagues... Sooner or later they'd have been hired by a NHL club. BTW, both Vigneault and Therrien were hired by AHL teams after the habs, before their comeback to NHL.

you'd understand... but you understand english too. ;)

what about die hard fans in Verdun (aside for the couple of hundreds of anglos there)? in Saint-Henri, Pointe aux Trembles, St-Hubert (aside for the couple of hundreds of anglos there, St-Jérome, The whole Saguenay area... etc.

Seriously, it would make a good case for the Parti Québécois to come back to power and ask for separation.. LOL

Pierre Curzy would have a heart attack!

I therefore ask for Don Cherry to replace Carbo !! :P :que:

Nah, I know that I'm soft about this "issue". I'm TOTALLY against anything that is politic in sports in general, except for the Olympics Games and international competitions. I'm sure that A LOT, and I mean a SHIT LOAD of people would be pissed here if a not-speaking french coach was hired at the head of the Habs.

This thread is useless! Carbo IS NOT the problem! I'm not saying that he's perfect, but he seems to be learning from his mistakes.

yes and he reads this board. He got some inspiration himself from Trizzak's lines for yesterday's game :)

yes the list is not so big, as is the proportion of Québécois over the whole NA (6M / 350 M )

you're taking a big assumption there though. Vigneault, Julien, Therrien have always ROCKED the AHL and other minor leagues... Sooner or later they'd have been hired by a NHL club. BTW, both Vigneault and Therrien were hired by AHL teams after the habs, before their comeback to NHL.

Until Bruce Boudreau's success, pillaging the AHL's best coaches for NHL bosses wasn't really en vogue amongst NHL GM's, though. I'm not so sure Viggy or Therrien or even Julien would've been front line coaching candidates if not for Montreal.

Obviously there is a 6M/350M ratio, but I think it's fair to say that amongst the hockey population, the Quebecois ratio is a lot greater than 1.5 to 2% of the candidates. It's probably more like 15-20%.

Here's a question for you... would Saku Koivu ever be acceptable as a head coach for the Montreal Canadiens in the future?

So many experts out their insisting that Carbo is making all the wrong decisions. Let's me start by saying that Carbo is not stupid, but perhaps, we have less information then him.

So for example.. Metro was on the 5-3 because he was a right hand shot. That is not stupid. Sure, Carbo wishes he had Lang for that spot, but he doesn't, so he is making the best choice out of few alternatives.

Price.. we have been told now that Halak was exhausted after practice due to the lingering flu bug. If you knew that, would you play him, or Price?

Some of the lines - maybe some guys have asked to play together? Maybe there are some personnel issues that Carbo is working through and had to prove to these guys that they should not play together, even if they like it. Some of these guys sulk all the time, so it is better to get them on board then just force the issue. Who knows. We don't.

People should keep in mind that most people with different views are not making logic errors. The different conclusions are based on different starting assumptions or different information sets. I would contend that Carbo has more information then us. Same with Gainey. We assume he could pick up the phone and just "make the trade happen", but perhaps he knows the asking price, and it is too high!

So while neither of them are perfect, and many decisions may be opinion / gray areas, I think people should stop making the assumption that these guys are idiots. Especially when most of us turn out to be wrong when we post "clear examples", as the original poster did.

Until Bruce Boudreau's success, pillaging the AHL's best coaches for NHL bosses wasn't really en vogue amongst NHL GM's, though. I'm not so sure Viggy or Therrien or even Julien would've been front line coaching candidates if not for Montreal.

Obviously there is a 6M/350M ratio, but I think it's fair to say that amongst the hockey population, the Quebecois ratio is a lot greater than 1.5 to 2% of the candidates. It's probably more like 15-20%.

Here's a question for you... would Saku Koivu ever be acceptable as a head coach for the Montreal Canadiens in the future?

maybe.

So many experts out their insisting that Carbo is making all the wrong decisions. Let's me start by saying that Carbo is not stupid, but perhaps, we have less information then him.

So for example.. Metro was on the 5-3 because he was a right hand shot. That is not stupid. Sure, Carbo wishes he had Lang for that spot, but he doesn't, so he is making the best choice out of few alternatives.

Price.. we have been told now that Halak was exhausted after practice due to the lingering flu bug. If you knew that, would you play him, or Price?

Some of the lines - maybe some guys have asked to play together? Maybe there are some personnel issues that Carbo is working through and had to prove to these guys that they should not play together, even if they like it. Some of these guys sulk all the time, so it is better to get them on board then just force the issue. Who knows. We don't.

People should keep in mind that most people with different views are not making logic errors. The different conclusions are based on different starting assumptions or different information sets. I would contend that Carbo has more information then us. Same with Gainey. We assume he could pick up the phone and just "make the trade happen", but perhaps he knows the asking price, and it is too high!

So while neither of them are perfect, and many decisions may be opinion / gray areas, I think people should stop making the assumption that these guys are idiots. Especially when most of us turn out to be wrong when we post "clear examples", as the original poster did.

:clap:

+ Price played good vs Atlanta, even if he lost, it's was real good to give him a 2nd start, just to "keep building his confidence"...

yes about Metro... maybe that's that.

The actual lines are briliant IMO.

yes people always think they know better and they know more... stupid people :P

yes and he reads this board. He got some inspiration himself from Trizzak's lines for yesterday's game :)

Funny to imagine maybe but athletes etc. do sometimes read boards . . .

Carbo's choices for a RH forward shot on the 5 on 3 are D'Ago, Metro, Lapierre, and Kostopolous. Last year, Carbo used Smolinski all the time as well. I think he wants not only a RH shot but a RH centre to go in for faceoffs if Koivu or Plekanec get waived out.

Until he was injured, that was Lang's spot (remember all those missed chances he had in close).

How about a name like Dick Irwin?

Hey I have been a cargo supporter for longtime. But his line combos, refusal to shorten the bench to utelize the better players, asinine decisions for the players on the pp (I.e metropolit on the 2 man advantage), as well as decisions on who to start in goal.

Despite the injuries there is no way this team should be as bad as of has been unless the players have quit on the coach.

How about a name like Dick Irwin?

Hey I have been a cargo supporter for longtime. But his line combos, refusal to shorten the bench to utelize the better players, asinine decisions for the players on the pp (I.e metropolit on the 2 man advantage), as well as decisions on who to start in goal.

Despite the injuries there is no way this team should be as bad as of has been unless the players have quit on the coach.

Toe Blake...

but that era is before / at the same time as the Maurice Richard riot and way before the 1970's. :)

Absolutely not. We have tried lots of coaches. Julien, Therrien, Vigneault... Nobody was good enough for the Habs. It's about time we stand behind the coach. Carbonneau is still young. He has made mistakes, will make more mistakes, but he's got a good brain and will become better. I am sure Gainey will remain on his side.

JMHO

JCPetit