Shots on goal

alexstream

I kinda realised lately that Halak got an incredible number of shots against per game, while the next game, Price would get a lot of shots, but never close to Halak.

So instead of basing myself on my biased thoughts,

I went and had a look at that

http://canadiens.nhl.com/team/app?service=...&gameType=2

and noticed that, yes,

Halak regularly got from 10-15 more shots a game than Price in the last 15 games or so.

doing some calculations with those stats,

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/?hubname=nhl-canadiens

I came to those results:

Carey got roughly 0.487 shot per minute played. x 60 = 29 (rounded)

Halak got roughly 0.562 shot per minute played. x 60 = 34 (rounded)

a. he's got a problem with his rebounds?

b. his pads are made of rubber?

yes I think I'm funny... but point is... no Halak is no super hero. he's got the Jose Theodore inflated # of shots rebound control problem. You shoot, it rebounds on your stick your reshoot, it rebounds again... 3 shots when a goalie à la Huet or Price, it stops, it gets absorbed...

that's all. :/

Hmm.... maybe because Price is bigger, more shots end up missing the net as opposing players try to pick corners?

The last 8 games Halak has played have been against the best teams, resulting in a pummeling. Carey has been playing crap teams to get his confidence back. Those results massively skew the numbers.

Price has been a rebound machine as well lately.

That all said, Halak has a better winning percentage..so there ya go. ;)

Note, I think that Price MAY ultimately be the better goalie, but that doesn't mean Halak won't be a solid number one guy, nor does it mean that Price has a lock on greatness. People need to get over the hype and let them put up or shut up.

Does anyone else think that Gainey may be trying to showcase Halak so as to increase his market value this offseason. I can't see a scenario where both Price and Halak will be with the team next year.

Does anyone else think that Gainey may be trying to showcase Halak so as to increase his market value this offseason. I can't see a scenario where both Price and Halak will be with the team next year.

Since goalies have virtually no trade value in Today's market I doubt it but who knows.

Since goalies have virtually no trade value in Today's market I doubt it but who knows.

Plus, there will be a ton of UFA goalies available this summer: Anderson, Biron, Boucher, Conklin, Danis, Fernadez (I'm assuming Boston will re-sign Thomas), Garon, Gerber, Johnson, Khabibulin, Kolzig(maybe), Labarbera, Legace, Nittymaki, MacDonald, Raycroft(if anyone wants him), Roloson, Sabourin, Sanford, Tellqvist, Valiquette, Weekes.

Wow! That's a list of 22 (mainly backups) available.

Some of these guys will be re-signed and Halak has more value than a lot of them. Still any team giving up any value to get Halak over the summer seems unlikely.

Plus, there will be a ton of UFA goalies available this summer: Anderson, Biron, Boucher, Conklin, Danis, Fernadez (I'm assuming Boston will re-sign Thomas), Garon, Gerber, Johnson, Khabibulin, Kolzig(maybe), Labarbera, Legace, Nittymaki, MacDonald, Raycroft(if anyone wants him), Roloson, Sabourin, Sanford, Tellqvist, Valiquette, Weekes.

Wow! That's a list of 22 (mainly backups) available.

Some of these guys will be re-signed and Halak has more value than a lot of them. Still any team giving up any value to get Halak over the summer seems unlikely.

wow didn't realize there are so many UFA's available. However how many of those guys are starter quality? khabibulin, roloson, garon seem the best of a fairly mediocre group. I'd likely take a young and improving halak over any of those retreads.

wow didn't realize there are so many UFA's available. However how many of those guys are starter quality? khabibulin, roloson, garon seem the best of a fairly mediocre group. I'd likely take a young and improving halak over any of those retreads.

Yeah I agree. But the question is would you give up an asset to get Halak instead of signing one of these guys for free?

If so, how good of an asset? This is why I don't think we can trade Halak for anything near hiw worth to us.

Keep both goalies, they are young, good financially against the cap. No reason to mess with the best thing the current roster has going for it.

There are 10 other guys who should leave quickly, not the goalies.