The UFA Clean House Challenge

Peter Puck

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i like to sign marc-andre bergeron, francois beauchemin, ian laperrier..

All three of those guys would help. But if we lose Komisarek, bolder measures might be required: i.e., Boumeester. However, if we could *add* either Bergeron or Beauchemin to our current roster, that likely would help.

If we got Bouwmeester and Beauchemin, at the cost of Komisarek and another (except Markov), that would be very very good.

Wonder if Francois would consider coming back to us. Wonder if we could afford it. Still need some power down the middle of the ice.

Sundin is likely to be on the market this summer. lol

I wouldn't mind him (we'd still have to draft the hell out of centers).

All three of those guys would help. But if we lose Komisarek, bolder measures might be required: i.e., Boumeester. However, if we could *add* either Bergeron or Beauchemin to our current roster, that likely would help.

Komi is replaceable by 1-2 big, tough stay-at-home guys, something that is definitely draftable/tradeable. The hard part is acquiring offensive dynamic d-men, and on that front the Habs look fine with Markov in the lineup and Subban in the system. There are lots of guys that don't have to be 1st rounders that can fill out a defensive role quite nicely for a much lower pricetag than Komi.

With a reputable DEFENSE coach (if you are reading this Bob, wake the F up), there are many guys that can be molded into responsible d-men who can clear the front of the net. Which, with no real offensive skillset and a mediocre 1st pass at best, is all that Komiserik is at this stage of the game, and not worth 5M/yr in my opinion.

i like to sign marc-andre bergeron, francois beauchemin, ian laperrier..

you think brisebois is a defensive liability ?? wait 'till you see MAB play. besides, we already have an smallish offensive dman i Weber.

If we got Bouwmeester and Beauchemin, at the cost of Komisarek and another (except Markov), that would be very very good.

Wonder if Francois would consider coming back to us. Wonder if we could afford it. Still need some power down the middle of the ice.

He said he'd consider it but thet always say the right things when talking to home town radio.

I hope that Mtl is agressive on the bouwmeester case.

With a reputable DEFENSE coach (if you are reading this Bob, wake the F up), there are many guys that can be molded into responsible d-men who can clear the front of the net. Which, with no real offensive skillset and a mediocre 1st pass at best, is all that Komiserik is at this stage of the game, and not worth 5M/yr in my opinion.

Komi is not even worth 3.5 M anymore...but he'll get it somewhere not named montreal.

IMO Mtl's biggest problem on Defense is Hamrlik's contract. no offense anymore. still steady on D but he's on the donw side of things now.

4 mil is probably the best we can hope for for Komi. I would pay up to 5 mil.

5 M to komisarek or 7M to bouwmeester ??

Yea, if some GM wants to pay a stay at home Dman 5 mill after his worst year, then more power to him.

3-3.5 mill is fair for what he brings to the table.

5 M to komisarek or 7M to bouwmeester ??

Bouwmeester will easily get a $7m offer from a number of teams, which means that even if he is luke warmto signing with the habs, because of the tax differences, we would need to offer over $8m. On July 1, Komi will also easily get at least 5.5m, if not $6m.

There will always be some gm willing to obsenely overpay and this year won't be much different.

Edited by hab29RETIRED

Except what he brings to the table will probably be better than what he brought last year considering he was nursing an injury.

Let me make a bold prediction here: Komi will walk because someone's gunna offer him 5 mil and everyone will say good riddance since he wanted way too much. Then, by mid season, everyone will be bemoaning the fact that Bob let another talent walk away for nothing due to the fact that Komi is playing well somewhere else and our own blue-line holes.

Mark my words.

Except what he brings to the table will probably be better than what he brought last year considering he was nursing an injury.

Let me make a bold prediction here: Komi will walk because someone's gunna offer him 5 mil and everyone will say good riddance since he wanted way too much. Then, by mid season, everyone will be bemoaning the fact that Bob let another talent walk away for nothing due to the fact that Komi is playing well somewhere else and our own blue-line holes.

Mark my words.

+1

If we can sign him now for $5m, we should do it. He WILL get closer to $6m on July 1. What we should do is try and sign Komi and trade hamrlik.

Can we afford to tie up 5 mil + in a d-man who cannot score? Who cannot pass the puck? His defense when healthy is excellent, and no questioning his desire or will. If the bidding starts at 5 with Komi, we just can't do it.

Another concern with Komisarek is length of contract. With the talent potential we have on d coming up, can we afford to get locked into 5, 6, 7 years with #8? Are we buying into him instead of Markov for the longer term?

I'd max out a 4 or 4.5 for a longer-term contract for him. He hasn't shown any improvement whatsoever offensively. Don't get me wrong, he is one of my favourites for his uncompromising attitude, but it's the cap, and we have a lot of slick-looking talent in the wings...plus a perennial all-star that might be Lidstrom East if on a similar team...

Beauchemin might be a really nice pick-up as a 'consolation' for missing out paying Boowmeister 9 mil for 12 years ntc...someone will do it (secretly subsidised by the NHL to keep Coyotes in Phoenix and out of Basille's hands perhaps - or the NBA as the pat on the back Buttman has been so desperately looking for all this time from his lord and master Stern).

the problem with Komi is the money..i like the guy but 5m-6m is way to much... ithink we can bring in marc-andre bergeron and francois beauchemin for that kind of money and they are still young guys and canadain born players also there isJordan Leopold and Derek Morris that could be a big help on D for a good price...it would also be nice to bring in ian laperrier and then try to trade for a centre..aka Jordan Staal,Joe Thornton,Patrick Marleau ..etc...i also think we should sign Olaf Kolzig as a back up for price...

i dont think we can sign any of the top free agents but my top picks would be hossa..i think this is going to be a hard year to get alot better, there not alot out there in free agents, so it got to be a big trade and sign some good, hard working, players that love to play hockey..

i think we should trade komi rights to a team...for some picks...i also think we should trade laraque and try and sign, chis neil or Colton Orr,Andre Roy....

Edited by KEEP26

This disucssion has suddenly gotten pretty interesting. I agree that Komisarek had a bad season, NOT a typical season. What we should be asking is not whether the Komi of 2009 is worth big dough but whether $5+ mil is justifiable for a D-man who is in the top-3 in hits and blocked shots, i.e., one of the very best shutdown defenceman in the NHL (maybe THE best after Chara). I waver on this, but what I definitely believe is that $7-8 mil for Bouwmeester is definitely money better spent than $5-6 mil on Komisarek, no matter how you slice it.

At some point you do have to bite the bullet and overpay. Otherwise you end up with a team of washed-up vets and 'developing' young players. Most successful teams out there either have a raft of all-star young talent with which we just can't compete (Chicago, Washington - the latter really only have Ovechkin, but he's worth more than our entire second line) or else have sucked it up and sunk huge dollars into core players (Boston, Detroit, Carolina, Anaheim, Pittsburgh). So I could definitely live with overpaying a Bouwmeester who hasn't even hit his prime yet and stands to provide another 10 seasons of all-star calibre play.

Hamrlik: he deserves one more season before we start to say he's washed up. He was worth every penny for us in 2008. If he duplicates his 2009 season, then - if it comes down to a cap crunch - you're better off sending him to the minors and paying a Bouwmeester or equivalent than you are keeping him. (I agree that he'll be untradable, except maybe at the deadline in the last year of his contract, to some team looking for seasoned re-inforcement on the blueline. We might get a 2nd-rounder back).

Subban could be 3 years away. This is what aggravates me: people saying that Bob should sit on his hands because we have guys 'in the system.' It's one thing to emphasize the importance of not compromising the future for the present (a principle with which I totally agree). It's another to think the future can help the present. Sorry, but it can't.

Beauchemin = or > Komisarek

no?

not in size, but all other things considered?

Yea, if some GM wants to pay a stay at home Dman 5 mill after his worst year, then more power to him.

3-3.5 mill is fair for what he brings to the table.

well if Ryder gets 4M after his worst year, Komi is worth 8M after his worst year :lol:

-IF he hits the market

and

-IF the market is anything like the past seasons (i.e. not affected by the "crisis"), then:

Komi will get 5M

Mark my words.

:lol:

totally.

Most successful teams out there either have a raft of all-star young talent with which we just can't compete (Chicago, Washington - the latter really only have Ovechkin, but he's worth more than our entire second line)

Washington has got Semin and Backstrom too, who would be better than any forward on our team. With Mike Green on D who is probably in Markov's range. They did it like all the other emerging teams do it; by sucking for 5 years and loading up on superstars. We tried to rebuild on the fly. It worked but then it didn't work...

I think I would pay 5M for Komi. But I think he'll get higher offers. Why wouldn't LA throw money at him? He'll double their chances of making the playoffs.

Ryder got 4 mill because he has scored 30 goals in 2 prior seasons, or just about did. Scorers are harder to find then big stay at home D.

People will complain about BG if he signs komi for 5 mill and Komi stinks up the place. Others will complain about letting him go. That stuff will never change. It's all about the team winning and playing well.

I trust Bg will make the correct decision on Komi. Unfortunately i think we'll have another year of Pleks and Koivu as the top 2 centers. That is what is going to hurt.

Revamping the D has to be his 2nd priority, coaching staff #1.

Dont resign anyone over the age of 30 and do anything we can to get the no1 draft pick (if that is even possible) to get Tavares. Then stink it up a few years and get more top picks. This team has been 10-6th in the east for most of the 90s-2000s and gotten lousy draftpicks and early playoff exits.

OR sign 2-3 top players from the UFA market this summer (Bouwmeester etc.) and hope for the players we still have to get out of sophmore jinxes and stuff.

if komi whats to stay in montreal..i think he sign a deal between 4-5 mil long term...he knows he loved in montreal, got voted in the all star game...but if his in it for the money, i think he is..then he will sign some where else for 5.5-7 m..there is always some crazy gm out there..i do think komi a little over rated because he plays in montreal and we love him..but i do really think this comes down to what komi whats to do, if his not sign by july 1 then he is gone, so i hope bob got a plan B...

i do think the biggest problem with the habs is the dressing room and the coaching..that thier is things going on that we dont really know about, so i think its time for some new faces, mix with the old..bob as the money this year to bring in some good young players and a top foward...i think our biggest problem was our second line and our D couldnt clear the front of the net....

i think we got to sign hossa,Saku Koivu,Alex Tanguay as our top line..i know everyone whats that big Centre but i dont see us getting him this year, and koivu loves montreal and he be pretty cheap i think..i dont know much about Steven Reinprecht but he might be a good pick up as our second line centre and he is 6 ft..and even if bob can trade for the big centre it wont hurt having koivu for our second line at 3-4 m a year..

i would love to see koivu and kovalev come back for cheap, just to show montreal fans how much they love it here and so bob can chase some big name players like hossa...

Edited by KEEP26

I love Montreal too, but it doesn't mean they should sign me to centre the first line. Getting a a bad player at a discount is still getting a bad player. A famous quote from the movie Christine i beleive says it the best "You can't polish a terd". Why are people obsessed with signing bad players at a discount? They are still bad.

Totally agree with you on the dressing room problems, again this has happened numerous times under Koivu's watch. it's just time to turn the page and get some youth in there.

Hossa isn't going to jump at the opportunity to play with Koivu and Tanguay, thta's not sweetening the pot any. He plays with way better players right now. He has already signed for less money to sign with a winner. Why would he go to a team in constant shambles?

I love Montreal too, but it doesn't mean they should sign me to centre the first line. Getting a a bad player at a discount is still getting a bad player. A famous quote from the movie Christine i beleive says it the best "You can't polish a terd". Why are people obsessed with signing bad players at a discount? They are still bad.

Totally agree with you on the dressing room problems, again this has happened numerous times under Koivu's watch. it's just time to turn the page and get some youth in there.

Hossa isn't going to jump at the opportunity to play with Koivu and Tanguay, thta's not sweetening the pot any. He plays with way better players right now. He has already signed for less money to sign with a winner. Why would he go to a team in constant shambles?

the thing with koviu is that, we cant get anyone better or have anyone to replace him right now?everyone like to point out the problems, but no one got any ideas on to fix them, unless there playing nhl 2009 and makes dumb trades that wouldnt never work in the nhl..i have never heard of any one saying bad things about koviu in the nhl only fans that dream of 6'3 french centre that leads us to 15 cups, so i dont buy it..is he the great player out there, no..but i think we sign him for 3 m and that a great deal for a second line player, who plays the first line because we cant find a 6'3 french centre that what to come here..you guys remind me of one of my buddies who was married to this great girl, that loves him with all her heart and puts up with all his shit..but he sats around crying all day about this girl in high school that he had no shot with and want nothing to do with him, that he dont reliaze how great his wife is, till she pack her bags and left..