Sutter's a genius... Ooops, no he isnt

PMAC

The Olli Jokinen pick-up at the trade deadline did little good either and will paint the Flames into a salary-cap corner next year — at the cost of two young players, plus a No. 1 draft choice. The GlobeandMail http://sports.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/...ortsHockey/home

My point is that sometimes you mortage the farm to win today... but most of the time it bites you in the ass.

Sure we bombed in the first round but so did SJ and Calgary. Does that make their GM's incompetent?

Would anybody here be happy if we led the league most of the year only to flop in the first round.

Hey maybe Joe Thorton is available! That would solve our centre problem...

Edited by PMAC

with jokinen signed for two more year calgary will in better shape next year than montreal. Montreal add a chance to send a potential UFA elsewhere for a pick and/or prospect and Gainey failed to do so.

It wasnt a failure at all, Bob got Schneider and it created a spark for a lil bit. If you look at the Habs and Flames, Flames went all out to get Leopold and Jokinen but couldnt really overcome the injuries, same for the Habs and in the end both teams had a 1st round exit in the playoffs. Failure goes to the Flames.

It wasnt a failure at all, Bob got Schneider and it created a spark for a lil bit. If you look at the Habs and Flames, Flames went all out to get Leopold and Jokinen but couldnt really overcome the injuries, same for the Habs and in the end both teams had a 1st round exit in the playoffs. Failure goes to the Flames.

But he got him too late. He started talking with Atlanta in November and only sealed the deal in mid February when the team had already self-imploded. His excuse was that the trade talks about Lecavalier put Schneider's trade talks on the backburner. :huh:

But he got him too late. He started talking with Atlanta in November and only sealed the deal in mid February when the team had already self-imploded. His excuse was that the trade talks about Lecavalier put Schneider's trade talks on the backburner. :huh:

Vinny is a pretty big name. I would put the Schnide on the backburner too. However, that Point Per Game stat comparison of Vinny and Saks has me wondering if Vinny would be worth it.

I think it would be more fair to compare Their last 5 years.

That was my point. Failure was meant sarcastically. I was also being a bit ironic when I mentioned Thorton as a solution. BTW Calgary is in serious cap difficulty and may have to let quality players go to fit in Olie.

I'm not sure we had the cap space to absorb Schneider's salary that early in the season.

If the Habs would've moved for him in November, they'd have had to cut some substantial salary to fit him under the cap. As it was, Lang had to be placed on LTIR to bring Schneider in when they did acquire him. They picked him up when they could actually do so and still spent more than $600,000 over the cap this year (LTIR brings them back under though).

If the Habs would've moved for him in November, they'd have had to cut some substantial salary to fit him under the cap. As it was, Lang had to be placed on LTIR to bring Schneider in when they did acquire him. They picked him up when they could actually do so and still spent more than $600,000 over the cap this year (LTIR brings them back under though).

I know, but why did they start the talks in November if they hadnt already figured the cap situation out?

I know, but why did they start the talks in November if they hadnt already figured the cap situation out?

Plant the seed early, make sure that when Schneider was to be moved that Waddell knew that the Habs wanted in on the bidding. Also, considering how early it was in the year, perhaps Atlanta wanted a player back that would've lessened the effect of the cap hit. I don't know for sure, but I'm sure it's one of those two...

Lang injured or not, the talks in November were probably to set up a deal on the deadline. If Kang had not been injured and Gainey decided they needed Schneider, he maybe would have shipped out some excess salary to make room. Gainey was just lucky (well, not really but anyways) that Lang was able to be placed on the IR.

Plant the seed early, make sure that when Schneider was to be moved that Waddell knew that the Habs wanted in on the bidding. Also, considering how early it was in the year, perhaps Atlanta wanted a player back that would've lessened the effect of the cap hit. I don't know for sure, but I'm sure it's one of those two...

I dont even know why ATL would have wanted to move Schnide so early after just getting him.

Regardless, my point was that our PP should/could have been taken care of way earlier than Feb. 20-something. That late in the season, you plug small holes here and there and add some depth for the playoffs. Not fix major team weaknesses. You try to do that before the team is already in shambles, not after...

Thorton is and always will be a choker comes playoff time. I dont want him within 100 feets on the team!

Boston would had never become the powerful team they are today had they not traded Thornton. Short term pain, long term gain.