Gionta!

alexstream

where is the love and the excitement? I only hear bad things from you guys about Gionta.

I personally can't wait to see him in action. It's like having Oleg Petrov again, but ... a SHOOTING Oleg Petrov (for anyone who do not get that, Petrov would have been one of our best players in 99-02 if ONLY he coud have shot the damn puck)

-Pat Burns compared him to St-Louis (to some extent... he said he is a player like St-Louis... he didn not say "he is a player as good as st-louis")

-People are bashing him because he "only got 60 pts, 20 goals" last season. he got that on the SECOND LINE. that's better than almost anyone on our FIRST LINE!

-He has a right handed shot, a similar goal production as Ryder, but he can MAKE PLAYS and he is always in movement.

Gionta really is an exciting player I can't wait to see in action.

I agree with you. He also drives the net, plays DEFENSE which none of the top guys did last year.

Being reunited with Gomez hopefully will net him 30 i'm hoping. Depends who the LW is i suppose.

Plus the 3 new players bring much needed speed up front.

How about we watching him play wearing the bleu, blanc, et rogue before deciding if he is worthy of appreciation?

Because some of us have seen him play for another team and like what he consistently brings?

Do you need Joe Sakic to play for Montreal to know you would appreciate him playing in Montreal?

Because some of us have seen him play for another team and like what he consistently brings?

Do you need Joe Sakic to play for Montreal to know you would appreciate him playing in Montreal?

Absolutely. Who knows if he can play at a high level after only playing 60ish games over the course of the last two seasons? I'd be excited about the possibilities, but I'm not going to appreciate him until he shows he can help the team win.

Right now, the only appreciation we can show is to thank him for signing here. Other than that, we know nothing about how he will perform as a Hab with a fat contract. The same can be said of new guys on any team. There will always be UFA busts that come out of nowhere. Thank Gionta for signing with us, but let's hold back on thanking him for what he brings to the team until he actually brings it.

I'd be alot more excitied about the players bob acquired if they weren't all under 5'11". The fact that this team will be the smallest in the league has me worried. The fact that we're small might not be a huge factor early in the season, but as the 82 game grind progresses, I get the feeling that our smaller guys will start to feel the fatigue.

It is much easier for a small guy to play hockey when his linemates are 6'2" or 6'4" tall and weigh well over 200 pounds...it's a completely different thing when your linemates are both under 6' and aren't very heavy!

Edited by Habsfan

Did i miss something, when did Kovalev, Koivu, Tanguay use there size last year? They were a soft bunch with ZERO cups.

I agree generally with the habs being small, but they are grittier and tougher then last year's cream puffs.

Alexstream, don't worry about it, alot of posters are never going to like the change. it remains to be seen what will happen, maybe they are correct and I am wrong, but i like the team way better then the Koivu Kovalev 4 year expiremint.

Absolutely. Who knows if he can play at a high level after only playing 60ish games over the course of the last two seasons? I'd be excited about the possibilities, but I'm not going to appreciate him until he shows he can help the team win.

Right now, the only appreciation we can show is to thank him for signing here. Other than that, we know nothing about how he will perform as a Hab with a fat contract. The same can be said of new guys on any team. There will always be UFA busts that come out of nowhere. Thank Gionta for signing with us, but let's hold back on thanking him for what he brings to the team until he actually brings it.

yah, I know, some prefer to be negative before the guys get there, lower expectation = less deception

^_^

that's why we need appreciation threads, to offset all that negativity.

I'd be alot more excitied about the players bob acquired if they weren't all under 5'11". The fact that this team will be the smallest in the league has me worried. The fact that we're small might not be a huge factor early in the season, but as the 82 game grind progresses, I get the feeling that our smaller guys will start to feel the fatigue.

It is much easier for a small guy to play hockey when his linemates are 6'2" or 6'4" tall and weigh well over 200 pounds...it's a completely different thing when your linemates are both under 6' and aren't very heavy!

yeah, let's get Kilger, Traverse, Dagenais.

avg 6'4" 225 lbs.

:rolleyes:

Did i miss something, when did Kovalev, Koivu, Tanguay use there size last year? They were a soft bunch with ZERO cups.

I agree generally with the habs being small, but they are grittier and tougher then last year's cream puffs.

Alexstream, don't worry about it, alot of posters are never going to like the change. it remains to be seen what will happen, maybe they are correct and I am wrong, but i like the team way better then the Koivu Kovalev 4 year expiremint.

I know and you see two of the worst negative posters didn't hesitate to come spoil an appreciatoin as soon as they could. :)

yah, I know, some prefer to be negative before the guys get there, lower expectation = less deception

Well, there is that to some extent, but at the same time, success is even more surprising and thus more enjoyable when you are not expecting it!

yeah, let's get Kilger, Traverse, Dagenais.

avg 6'4" 225 lbs.

Did I ever mention those names? No! So there's no need to bring them up. The fact remains that smaller players have a harder time staying fresh over the long haul. It's easier for bigger guys.

Kovy might not have been the meanest, toughest S.O.B. in the NHL, but at 6'2" and 220 pounds, he could definitely take care of himself along the boards. He didn't get pushed off the puck that easily, whereas as smaller player who's 5'7" can be pushed off the puck with alot less effort from bigger guys!

Gomez with Cammalleri (39 goals last year) and Gionta (one-time 48 goal scorer alongside Gomez) could explode for something drastic should things fall into place.

The only thing about using them together, is that the second line is inexerienced, and very likely to disappear on any given night. So expect at least Gionta to be on the second line, with maybe AKost on the 1st. Gionta will be able to stabilize the second line, and Gomez should be able to set Kostitsyn up for a few gimmes (which might get AKost some confidence, which could make him pretty damn dangerous).

For 6 mil/year Sakic can keep sabotaging the Avs cap. :lol:

I lost a lot of respect for Sakiq last year for signing for so much at his age on a team that he loves playing for. :wacko:

Yes, I totally agree. Its a recipe for either of the Habs new wingers to get Tangd up in the corners again. I wasnt surprised at all when Tangs got injured yet most people here thought I must be psychic for seeing something like that happening over the course of an 82 game schedule to a small guy on a line with 2 players who rarely go into the corners so Tangs had to. :rolleyes:

Speed and skill always wins over slower lesser talented guys every time. Heres proof: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EA8IkwnmvjA ^_^

You seem to be missing my point... substitute Sakic for anyone in the NHL. Do you need Ovechkin to play a game for Montreal to appreciate him in Montreal? And forget superstars, even. If George Parros signed in Montreal, I'd know exactly what he would bring to Montreal and I'd appreciate the hell out of it before he had time to pull on a jersey. You can get a pretty good handle on what a guy can bring to your team based on what he's done for other teams. I don't need Gionta to play a game for Montreal for me to appreciate his style of play.

For 6 mil/year Sakic can keep sabotaging the Avs cap. :lol:

I lost a lot of respect for Sakiq last year for signing for so much at his age on a team that he loves playing for. :wacko:

That's unfair. The man was just one year removed from a 100 point season when he signed that deal.

I am also not getting the arguement that because they are small they will get injured. I don't recall any of them ever missing significant time for there old teams.

I also don't recall watching the Devils playoff games when Gomez and Gionta played saying "Wow, imagine how good they would be if those 2 weren't so small".

I recall saying can somebody please do something about those 2. I don't recall them being pushed all over the ice either.

Cammallari played with Iginla, he went into the corners, the front of the net, the only thing he did was score goals and pick up assists.

But now it's officially over, Koivu and his crew is not coming back. So the fans should cheer for the new guys. Believe me, if thye suck i'll be write there to say so.