Carey Price

Nilan25

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Basically, it seems like both articles boil down to asking the question: Where is the mental toughness everyone was raving about with this guy? That, my friends, is a 100% valid question. I don't see any signs of such a player in Carey Price. When he is going well, it is true, he cannot be flapped. When he isn't going good, however, that confidence just vanishes and the opposition clearly is in his head.

Now I wonder, would you guys have written in had I not suggested it? :P

I was going to anyway.

Basically, it seems like both articles boil down to asking the question: Where is the mental toughness everyone was raving about with this guy? That, my friends, is a 100% valid question. I don't see any signs of such a player in Carey Price. When he is going well, it is true, he cannot be flapped. When he isn't going good, however, that confidence just vanishes and the opposition clearly is in his head.

How does one develop mental toughness other than through experience? As he plays and gets older, he'll become more consistent. If you bring a 20 year old goalie into the league, this is what you have to deal with. The Blue Jackets will have the same struggles, just like the Hurricanes did with Ward.

But Todd is crazy when he criticizes Price for not looking as angry as Roy did. It makes me question whether he's ever played sports before. Getting emotional helps some players (like Roy), and it distracts some people (that's what guys like Lapierre, Eaves, Kaleta and Avery are there for). Price is clearly a guy who works best when he's calm and steady. If he ever punches a wall in between periods - don't let him get back in the net!

How does one develop mental toughness other than through experience? As he plays and gets older, he'll become more consistent. If you bring a 20 year old goalie into the league, this is what you have to deal with. The Blue Jackets will have the same struggles, just like the Hurricanes did with Ward.

How about the experience of playing second fiddle for a stretch. Living through the disappointment of being a #2 for a stretch and really thinking about what you need to do to get your job back. Running him out there night after night with his current psyche isn't helping him. As Todd mentions, a stint in the minors could do him wonders, it's a shame that isn't possible. At times, I actually want Price to come down with a minor injury, just so they can send him on a conditioning stint.

How about the experience of playing second fiddle for a stretch. Living through the disappointment of being a #2 for a stretch and really thinking about what you need to do to get your job back. Running him out there night after night with his current psyche isn't helping him. As Todd mentions, a stint in the minors could do him wonders, it's a shame that isn't possible. At times, I actually want Price to come down with a minor injury, just so they can send him on a conditioning stint.

+1

Second fiddle to who? Halak hasn't been any better then Price.

I have a novel idea, win and you stay in. Obviously back to back you play them both. That is open competition.

Alot of you people remind me of the Leaf fans you bash all the time. Is it really Toskala's fault the team is so bad defensively, no. He may be part of the problem, but there other people who mess up just as bad, if not worse.

If Price was giving up soft goals that's one thing, but being hung out to dry in every game this year is another issue entirely.

If it makes you feel better to bash a 21 year old because your favourite team loses, then that's on you, people who are knowlegable about hockey no differently.

Watch good teams play, Fluery wa poor when the Pens were poor, now they are dominant and so is Fluery.

Watch Detriot play, do there goalies face 7 odd man rushes per period? Nope.

Second fiddle to who? Halak hasn't been any better then Price.

If you're gonna have a struggling goalie in nets, why not let the supposed 2nd best play for a while and let the "savior" stew for awhile? Basically, it all goes back to making Price (re)earn his job. It's clear by now that throwing him out there every night isn't doing his confidence any favors. Some guys gain confidence when management shows faith in them, Price doesn't seem to be that guy. Maybe he's a guy that needs to have something taken away from him to light a fire under his ass.

All that being said, the goalie isn't going to make a difference on this team at the moment. The real question is whether it is good or bad for Price to consistently be put behind this team. Personally, I think it is hurting him.

Nikolai Khabibulin - .890

Roberto Luongo - .879

Tim Thomas - .868

Marty Turco - .880

Jaroslav Halak - .871

Cristobal Huet - .831

Vesa Toskala - .812

What do these guys have in common?

They all have a lower save percentage than Price.

All of them except for Luongo and Khabibulin have a worse GAA.

And none of them have faced as many shots as Price.

And I don't believe any of them have opened with a 5 game road trip either.

What does this mean?

Doesn't really mean anything because we're only 5 games into the season.

Relax guys or least wait till the quarter mark of the season to push the panic button.

How does one develop mental toughness other than through experience? As he plays and gets older, he'll become more consistent. If you bring a 20 year old goalie into the league, this is what you have to deal with.

true, no fear, Price will get the stuff just about the time he becomes eligible for free agency and bolts to the leaf. oops showing my pessimism again . .. .. . .

But seriously, as he came up so early and this is his third season in the nhl, Price could become a UFA in just four years no?

?

How exactly do you know what Price's current psyche is? And when did two games become night after night?

His confidence isn't shot after two losses. He just had the entire off-season to recharge. Two great games, two mediocre games. WAIT - and it will soon be two great games, two good games.

If Price doesn't pan out, we are screwed anyway. I would put his development over the short-term success of the team in a situation like this one where 1) he's better than the back-up and 2) he isn't doing much worse than the average NHL starter. I don't think sitting him on the bench will do anything for his development. He's already living through the disappointment of being the #1 on a team that hangs him out to dry and in an arena where the fans cheer when he makes an easy save and in a city that shits on him after every so-so game.

Just wait. You put all your hopes on a player in development, you need to have patience.

true, no fear, Price will get the stuff just about the time he becomes eligible for free agency and bolts to the leaf. oops showing my pessimism again . .. .. . .

But seriously, as he came up so early and this is his third season in the nhl, Price could become a UFA in just four years no?

I think so...

I wonder if Bob would throw out one of those crazy double digit year contracts that are being tossed around these days?

Personally I don't think that's Gainey's style, but you never know...Especially if Price really turns it on this year, being a contact year and all.

Yep. He needs a new contract this off-season, and it'll probably be worth 4-5M per. My guess is that Gainey (if he's still around) would make it a two-year deal, and then we get to sign him long-term the year before free agency. It's a little concerning. He might not be a top goaltender until just before free agency. Maybe we're raising another Leafs captain?

2) he isn't doing much worse than the average NHL starter.

He is playing better than some of the "Elite" goalies in the world right now. But you would never know it, because in Montreal it only takes one bad game to go from Hero to Goat...

He is playing better than some of the "Elite" goalies in the world right now. But you would never know it, because in Montreal it only takes one bad game to go from Hero to Goat...

Yeah, I keep hearing "How many seasons are you willing to waste on Price?" None. We haven't wasted any on him and we aren't going to. The guy's out-performing plenty of quality goalies.

I still think too many people are panicking way too soon. We haven't even played 10 games yet, and it's already time to replace Carey with Jaro?? The Habs just finished a long road trip to open the season, when they'll have played 10 games (5 on the road and 5 at home), then we'll have a better idea of what this team really looks like!

Until then, everyone needs to chill!

Edited by Habsfan

What have you done for me lately..I mean Halaks last game he stopped 50 shots and had a shut out!!!

Oh right...he didn't he let in 4 goals on 28 shots...I like Halak, but he has no wheres earned his starts as much as Price has not lost his starting spot. So quickly us fans create this artifical contriversay after a game or two of bad luck. Thats what the Canuck game was...bad luck, deflections of D-man right to a canuck stick and open net, but Price should have had it.

If Price shows emotion on the ice he gets flak for it, he shows no emotion he gets flak for it. It's starting to get to a point that we do not deserve great players here on the habs, we love so much more than other teams fans of bringing down our own, we all feel like we know some little gem that all the people in Montreal do not. We are a very arrogant type of fan, we are the kind of fan that prevents great players from wanting to play here, and we should all be ashamed of our selves.

Just wait. You put all your hopes on a player in development, you need to have patience.

This is exactly what started the whole problem, placing the future of the franchise squarely on the shoulders of a 20 year old kid and saying, "We'll go as far as you go." Almost all along, Price has been placed in front of the franchise. That's no way to run an organization like Montreal. You might be able to get away with that in an expansion city, but not Montreal. People always want to compare Price to Fleury and Mason, but there's a big difference between these guys: Fleury has Crosby and Malkin shouldering the franchise and Columbus has Rick Nash. The pressure is not placed solely on the goalies like it is in Montreal. All you ever hear is that the Habs will go as far as Price can take them. It's ridiculous.

This isn't about Halak vs. Price, it's about doing what is best for the franchise. Running Price out there at the end of last season was not the best thing for the team. Sending Price out there the very next game after giving up 7 goals is not the best thing for the franchise. You didn't see Columbus run Mason right back out there after he got shelled in San Jose. Price hasn't earned the right to start after a terrible game the way Luongo, Brodeur, etc. have.

This is exactly what started the whole problem, placing the future of the franchise squarely on the shoulders of a 20 year old kid and saying, "We'll go as far as you go." Almost all along, Price has been placed in front of the franchise. That's no way to run an organization like Montreal. You might be able to get away with that in an expansion city, but not Montreal. People always want to compare Price to Fleury and Mason, but there's a big difference between these guys: Fleury has Crosby and Malkin shouldering the franchise and Columbus has Rick Nash. The pressure is not placed solely on the goalies like it is in Montreal. All you ever hear is that the Habs will go as far as Price can take them. It's ridiculous.

That's a different issue. Price is in the NHL now and Huet is gone - there's nothing we can do about that now.

This isn't about Halak vs. Price, it's about doing what is best for the franchise. Running Price out there at the end of last season was not the best thing for the team. Sending Price out there the very next game after giving up 7 goals is not the best thing for the franchise. You didn't see Columbus run Mason right back out there after he got shelled in San Jose. Price hasn't earned the right to start after a terrible game the way Luongo, Brodeur, etc. have.

After two great games to start a season, he allows 7 (not because he was horrible, but because the team hung him out to dry), and the right move is to play Halak in the next game? Not only do you do more damage than good to Price's confidence, but you start a goalie controversy five games into the season when it's totally unnecessary. Controversy is just what we want to avoid.

That's a different issue. Price is in the NHL now and Huet is gone - there's nothing we can do about that now.

It's not about Huet or anything like that. It's about Price being handed the keys to the franchise before he earned them. It's about putting Price above the organization itself. Price has been mismanaged since the beginning. He got by fine at first with his natural talent, but the way he has been handled is hurting him now. Letting Price keep the entire franchise on his shoulders is not doing him any good.

After two great games to start a season, he allows 7 (not because he was horrible, but because the team hung him out to dry), and the right move is to play Halak in the next game? Not only do you do more damage than good to Price's confidence, but you start a goalie controversy five games into the season when it's totally unnecessary. Controversy is just what we want to avoid.

Where's the controversy is playing the hot goalie (or in this case, not playing the not hot goalie)? Montreal has a 1a and 1b goalie at the moment, yet one is being treated as a true number 1 and it isn't helping the team. There was no reason not to start Halak after Price got shelled. I don't care how bad the team hung him out to dry, it's stupid to run Price right back out there after that. Carey Price isn't Brodeur or Luongo yet and he shouldn't be treated the same way those guys are treated.

I have absolutely no problem with Price being the number one goalie, if he earns that right. Every since his injury, he hasn't shown me that he is a #1 guy. Halak was better than Price in the second half last year, but he hasn't earned #1 status either. This isn't about Price vs. Halak. It's about doing what is best for the team as a whole, not what they think is best for Price. The best way to get Price to progress is to make him earn his job all over again. If he truly is so much better than Halak, then he shouldn't have a problem with working hard enough to outplay him and earn the job for good.

Jack Todd answered my email!

correct on the waivers.

I guess you prefer to forget last season. All part of that little game of "let's pretend."

but thanks for your comments.

jt

correct on the waivers.

I guess you prefer to forget last season. All part of that little game of "let's pretend."

jt

No matter how hard you posture, Jack, you still won't become GM.

correct on the waivers.

jt

He is right. You guys are all whistling in the dark. This is not a couple of games. He does not look or play like the guy that started out so well.