Canada's Men Hockey Team

JoeLassister

Every time Crosby goes out there the momentum is lost. He has to stop pretty passing plays and play a hard forechecking, shoot first game. Nash, Toews, etc are all doing it, as are the Americans.

Same for the Thorton line.. harder to the net!

Nothing iffy about that slew foot.. americans could have had 2 other calls for hits a minute after the puck was gone.

I should critisize them for all the faults I see. Support play led to a goal!!! :)

Iffy penalty call on Ryan IMO

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everyone's forgotten the reason the US is in the final.........................

Komi's was hurt and got replaced.. :lol:

Trust me, that fact is not forgotten. I said before the Olympics started that our D was shaky, but that Martin getting hurt was canceled out by Komisarek also being out.

wow.. could crosby be any softer... pass around the board and he floats in a let the american take it.. he has to be going hard and competing for that puck... I have been very disappointed in his play so far.. there is a reason he has no points in the medal round, he is not competing.

The US is still in this game by a mile. But trying to get one over forechecking might put them down 3-0. The last Canada rush was because the US was frantically forechecking down low. On the other hand they could bulldoze a goal. Be careful on that USA!

Surprised nobody has mentioned the missed offside call on the US goal. We definitely needed that break. First half of the game, they just didn't look like they thought they could win. Didn't look confident and were thinking too much. Now it's anyone's game in the 3rd. If the US can manage to tie things up, the advantage has to go to them, as it would put even more pressure on the Canadians.

Surprised nobody has mentioned the missed offside call on the US goal. We definitely needed that break. First half of the game, they just didn't look like they thought they could win. Didn't look confident and were thinking too much. Now it's anyone's game in the 3rd. If the US can manage to tie things up, the advantage has to go to them, as it would put even more pressure on the Canadians.
I am worried about the Americans forecheck. But like I said earlier it'll either be the saviour or the doom for USA. I am far more impressed with their forecheck than Canada's. The US has to do that but take their picks. We all know Ron Wilson likes to use it alot. Can Canada defend against that for another period? That's asking for hell's fire!

Canada is still puck possessing too much. They might try to win this game with it and that would be stupid. They must send in a 2nd forechecker. Canada keeps passing around the perimeter. The US can expand and collapse defensively like they've been playing together for years. If Canada continues this it's very dangerous for them. Perry's goal was good fortune. Still 20 minutes.

Edited by Athlétique.Canadien

If Canada loses I can't wait to hear from Don Cherry how we still own the game because some USA players know our system. :blink: Like when he said that the reason the USA won in the juniors was because several of their players played in the CHL. This is a fact but does it matter? USA players won. I have no idea how he explains this loss (if it happens) since many of the USA Olympic team come from the American program!

It's the "genie is out of the bottle" excuse. But it's also true that the Montreal Canadiens once had an array of secrets in their history. One invention was the trap. Today everyone knows what the trap is. The "genie is out of the bottle" for the Habs on many things. So too is the "genie is out of the bottle" for Canada's "game" Even the Swiss reminded them!

The USA Knows Don!!!

Don won't have to explain this time. Gold Canada Gold

Edited by Athlétique.Canadien

About time he did something, but also kudos to Iginla on that play.

What is annoying is listening to the media ramble on about how he won us gold... the reality is that was his only point in the medal round. I am happy to see him score but full credit to the so called grinders on this team who got us there.

I suspect the coaching staff told him to stop the sissy play and start forechecking because he definitely started to pick it up.

I am also less then thrilled with the San Jose line... what a bunch of soft players in tough games.

The US and Canada have a lot of young players, this could be a battle every four years for some time, which will make for some nice hockey.

I guess Sid gets off the hook for his bad play in this tourney now eh? :lol:

I'm sure Sid the Kid will be happy to match his Gold Medal and Stanley Cup against all the griping and sniping from sourpusses and negative nellies. That goal makes him a Canadian legend. The end. :clap:

WOW!

What a game! Best game I've EVER seen, and I was at the New Years game against the Soviets.

I started to get a bad feeling about this game when we hit the 2 posts early in the 3rd. (Couldn't curse lady luck though because one of my friends brought his 8-year-old along. This was the most "swear-free" game I've watched in a long time!) LOL

Then the US scores with 24 seconds left. Again, no swearing, but it took quite an effort.

Tense, tense, tense and pessimistic. (Why am I assuming this is no surprise to you guys out there.)

Miller VS Luongo - geez, big advantage to USA, especially if it goes to a shootout. And all the momentum has to be with the US after that dramatic tying goal (and those 2 damn goalposts).

Then... CROSBY... euphoria. Kenny brought Champagne and we all toasted after the yelling died down.

Final thoughts...

Despite the negativism some posters put on here during the game, I actually thought we played quite well. (Outshot them too: 39-36.) Luongo was a very pleasant suprise. But the most suprising thing was how we came out in that overtime after such a devastating goal. We definitely outplayed them then (and for most of the 3rd). Our 2 best periods - 3rd and overtime.

Lots of kudos to the USA. They certainly showed a lot more heart than the Russians. They had a great tourney BUT TALENT WON OUT IN THE END. We were definitely the better team. Even in our loss to them, they were badly outshot. Miller won the game over Brodeur, simple as that.

14 gold medals - a new Olympic record. Joannie Rochette, Bilodeau, et al. What started off as a terrible Olympics, sure turned it around in the end. How in hell am I ever gonna be able to watch the NHL after hockey like that?!!!

Luongo was excellent in my book. A vacuum cleaner in the big game. Neither goal was his fault. I imagine that he will draw reserves of confidence from this going forward, much as Roy drew from the 1993 Cup run. A dominant playoff run from him would be no surprise.

And thank God for Sidney Crosby. The Sid-bashers can go piss up a rope. :lol:

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

WOW!

What a game! Best game I've EVER seen, and I was at the New Years game against the Soviets.

I don't know about best ever but it's certainly a contender. 2010 joined 1972, 1987 and 2002 when Crosby scored. My grandkid's grandkids will still be seeing that goal. A piece of our cultural history was added today.

Luongo was excellent in my book. A vacuum cleaner in the big game. Neither goal was his fault. I imagine that he will draw reserves of confidence from this going forward, much as Roy drew from the 1993 Cup run. A dominant playoff run from him would be no surprise.

Agreed, I thought most of the goals Luongo allowed in this tournament weren't his fault. Even today I wouldn't blame either of them on him. I knew he could get the job done before the tournament began, glad he proved me right.

And thank God for Sidney Crosby. The Sid-bashers can go piss up a rope. :lol:

Hahaha, definitely! The man delivers gold to Canada and he still gets shit. Who cares how he played? He scored the winner and CANADA WON GOLD!

Anything else is irrelevant now.

I don't know about best ever but it's certainly a contender. 2010 joined 1972, 1987 and 2002 when Crosby scored. My grandkid's grandkids will still be seeing that goal. A piece of our cultural history was added today.

The man delivers gold to Canada and he still gets shit. Who cares how he played? He scored the winner and CANADA WON GOLD!

100%. First, I can't believe that people are still crapping on him after he schooled Ovechkin in game 7 last year and went on to win the Cup. Second, he did the job today when it counted, did he ever. Sid is immortal now, whether the sourpusses like it or not:

1. Paul Henderson, 1972

2. Sidney Crosby, 2010

3. Mario Lemieux, 1987

4. Darryl Sittler, 1976

The game was excellent in pure hockey terms, but for on-ice play there probably have been more exciting cases; but you have to factor is what is at stake when you assess a game like this. In terms of the combination of importance and quality of play, this *was* a great game.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

Agreed, I thought most of the goals Luongo allowed in this tournament weren't his fault. Even today I wouldn't blame either of them on him. I knew he could get the job done before the tournament began, glad he proved me right.

Hahaha, definitely! The man delivers gold to Canada and he still gets shit. Who cares how he played? He scored the winner and CANADA WON GOLD!

And that was the 2nd game he won - remember the shootout against the swiss: