Habs @ Rangers | Game Thread

Fanpuck33

Does anyone really think that if Laraque had fought, things wouldn't have ended differently? I seriously doubt it. Martin *did* put BGL out after the Gorges/Avery fight, and he couldn't find any takers.

I think we're all just bitter that we have a $1.5M dollar playing 3 useless minutes a game when we've got more complete players in the AHL for a fraction of the cost.

Oh and the 6-2 whupping probably doesn't help.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A two minute penalty is a small cost to play to send a message that the habs wont be pushed around. I've said it time and again, grab a player and pound him, I can't see any reason to defend Laraque, he is a 1.5 million goal scorer now?

Bring Subban in Mtl. He'll inject some enthusiasm and team spirit in this sad bunch of individuals.

At the very least bring up White, Pyatt. I think Lapierre needs a sit down, as does D'agy.

Last night started out very well. Our boys had a 2 goal lead after 20minutes! The rest of the game was pathetic...just like this team has been too many times this season. I'm starting to find it harder and harder to believe that they can make the playoffs. Once the teams that are chasing us, catch up in their games played, the Habs will be 11th or maybe even 12th!!

Last night started out very well. Our boys had a 2 goal lead after 20minutes! The rest of the game was pathetic...just like this team has been too many times this season. I'm starting to find it harder and harder to believe that they can make the playoffs. Once the teams that are chasing us, catch up in their games played, the Habs will be 11th or maybe even 12th!!

Ya, that could be by next Saturday. St. Louis, NJ, and Rangers this week.

One positive, I was happy to see Benny and Josh stand up for their team mates. They didn't do half bad either.

Edited by BCHabnut

Yeah but even when he is ontthe ice he is too nice

Do you want to fight?

please?

please

No? ok no problem

Have you always thought of Laraque as too nice? All throughout his NHL tenure? Before he came to Montreal, as a neutral viewer of his play, I had always found him to be an intimidating presence on the ice. It would be ridiculous to argue that his use has not been limited by Martin, but I do still believe he brings some intimidation into the game merely by stepping onto the ice. He seems to be even more effective versus western teams who don't see him as often and aren't able to adapt his large physique. Your post interested me enough to look up some stats on him to compare and contrast his fighting career with his short tenure thus far here in Montreal.

George Laraque has played 12.6 NHL seasons.

He has played in 695 games.

He has fought a total 131 times.

This averages out to 10.3 fights a season and roughly 54 games a year.

He has fought in 18.85% of his games.

Prior to Montreal, Laraque played 11 NHL seasons.

He played 634 games

He fought 117 times.

This averages out to 10.63 fights a season and roughly 58 games a year.

He fought in 18.44%of his games.

With the Montreal Canadiens, he has played in 1.6 seasons.

He has played 61 games.

He has fought 13 times.

This averages out to 8 fights a season and roughly 38 games a year.

He fights in about 21% of his games.

If anyone is questioning why we ever got him in the first place, that's fine. But if people are questioning his performance on the ice, well I'm pretty convinced that this is fairly similar to the player he has always been... Especially in the post lock out period. If anything can be taken out from this, it's simply whether or not we need him in our lineup. For Laraque to be an effective player (at least to keep the fans from whining), he needs to be an integral part of one's team. Also, he's getting older and has fought many times. Perhaps age is getting the better of his physical side. It's not so much the amount of fighting he does which is troublesome, it's the amount of games he is playing. I'm not sure how many of the games which he has missed have been due to being a healthy scratch but I'm almost certain most of the games he has missed have been due to some sort of lingering injury.

As for the game last night, I think it's one we can put behind us. The effort was not there, but I still do believe we can turn it around. We have all mentioned various problems with the team, but I think the most significant one is one that has been mentioned a lot in general, but not in this specific game thread. It's depth. As long as we're healthy, we can compete, however a simple key like Andrei leaves due to injury, and no one else steps up. One prediction I'll make is that we'll win the next one against the Blues, however. Most definitely!

Edited by xXx..CK..xXx

Well that was an impressive weekend of hockey. I guess the message is they aren't any good and won't push back. Glad to see Gorges, Pouliot step up but that's what 3rd and 4th liners are for. Unfortunately the Habs don't have that.

People are jumping on Laraque but you need to see the ice to fight, when it got chippy i don't recall Martin sending him out there.

I didn't read the threads for the 2 games but i'll assume it went like Price sucks, Halak is great even though he gave up 6. Goaltending isn't the problem here.

The players who were left over from last year's team with the exception of AK46 and Markov can leave this year.

People are jumping on Laraque but you need to see the ice to fight, when it got chippy i don't recall Martin sending him out there.

He was either put out the shift following the fight, or the shift after something major happened. Ran around, hit two people hard, hit the boards a couple of times really hard, went off and that was it.

He was either put out the shift following the fight, or the shift after something major happened. Ran around, hit two people hard, hit the boards a couple of times really hard, went off and that was it.

Yep, the shift after.