GDT Cancuks vs Habs 02/02

Easy Ryder

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

wow... might as well rename this the optimism thread.

I'm going to have some faith. I say the boys rally out of the gate, put in 2 goals early to take the 2-0 lead and end up holding on in the 3rd for a 3-2 win.

:clap:

The didnt have a 2-0 lead, but that was close enough. :P

I thought Halak was shakey tonight tonight...most of his great saves were off his own terrible rebounds. Glad we won, but I think we can chalk this game up to a persistent forecheck (at least til the 50th minute mark) more than Halaks great play.

Rhino had another solid game too.

YES!

Halak gets us 2 more points. We started the game 2 mins after the Nucks but Halak kept us in it early on. Team refocused and showed a nice intensity for the rest of the game. Nice work by the Laps-Darche-MAB line. Plex and SK74 will develop chemistry and should look good with AK46 once he's back.

Wouldn't that be nice! When is AK due back?

Wow.. Trade Halak... you do realize that the return for a goalie right now is minimal.. so... let's dump him while the market is soft...

Can't believe that some of you really believe Halak will finish the season in Montreal...

I find myself slowly coming around on Halak. I've always believed that Price will be the better goalie in the long run and was committed to riding out whatever growing pains are necessary to ensure that would happen. I have to say though that Halak is making a believer out of me.

That being said there's a part of me that wonders if we are now seeing the best kind of hockey Halak can provide. Is this the peak of his worth? If the answer is yes than it certainly seems as though dealing him (regardless of how demoralizing it may be in the short term) might be in the teams best interests in the long term.

I can see the theory of trading Halak, if you're for trading Plek than it's not much of a stretch to say trade Halak.

I personally think Halak is fools gold, I think he looks better than he really is, I do not like his style at all.

Edited by bar

I am with McKenzie on this.. you won't get enough for Price or Halak right now to make it worth it and there is no need. Play out the season and make a decision in the summer on who you are going with. I wouldn't dump Price now either, he has room to grow, but dumping Halak right now would be a mistake.

As for his rebounds, they happen sometimes when you stop the first shot. :)

I am with McKenzie on this.. you won't get enough for Price or Halak right now to make it worth it and there is no need. Play out the season and make a decision in the summer on who you are going with. I wouldn't dump Price now either, he has room to grow, but dumping Halak right now would be a mistake.

As for his rebounds, they happen sometimes when you stop the first shot. :)

Haha you can laugh Brobin, but it a much shown valid point that Halak gives up juicy rebounds, and isn't getting better at it.

I should add that Gill looked good tonight, I finally saw him use his size to really lay a few solid hits tonight.

Lets hope they don't screw up against the Bruins in a 4 point game.

I watched Price give up a ton of them too, the difference being that Halak reacts better to them. But let's say that is his big issue.. he is young and can get better, as is always suggested for Price's weakness.

He faced 47 shots and stopped 45. He faced many excellent shots and stopped them. He make big saves at the right time. I find it hard to fault Halak for his play. I guess we can't say he only beats weak teams now, so I guess it is going to be the robound issue..

for the record, I want both of them to stay and I want Price to get a good number of games down the stretch too.

Haha you can laugh Brobin, but it a much shown valid point that Halak gives up juicy rebounds, and isn't getting better at it.

Here's a hypothetical with Halak. Let's say he goes to the Olympics and dominates (even if he does so inelgantly). Riding their goalie, Slovakia pulls off upsets...maybe even a medal. He'll have dominated against the best in the world.

At that point, does Halak's resumé begin to rival Price's? Does he convince us that he's a Hasek/Kiprusoff type (i.e., the underestimated backup that becomes a terrific starter)?

Just asking. Because it seems to me this hasn't been considered much - that the Olympics could become a real way to guage Halak's potential in a high-end competitive do-or-die situation against elite talent.

What do you think? Does his Olympic performance matter at all to our calculations?

I watched Price give up a ton of them too, the difference being that Halak reacts better to them. But let's say that is his big issue.. he is young and can get better, as is always suggested for Price's weakness.

He faced 47 shots and stopped 45. He faced many excellent shots and stopped them. He make big saves at the right time. I find it hard to fault Halak for his play. I guess we can't say he only beats weak teams now, so I guess it is going to be the robound issue..

for the record, I want both of them to stay and I want Price to get a good number of games down the stretch too.

That's fair. As last week proved the team doesn't only play poorly for Price. It's looking like keeping them both is a good idea.

I think (for the most part) those here arguing for a trade of Halak are doing so not because they think he's a bad goaltender, its because they want to maximize his trade value. Some (myself included) believe that this may be the highwater mark on his time in Montreal and better to trade him now, then wait and see his value diminish.

Here's a hypothetical with Halak. Let's say he goes to the Olympics and dominates (even if he does so inelgantly). Riding their goalie, Slovakia pulls off upsets...maybe even a medal. He'll have dominated against the best in the world.

At that point, does Halak's resumé begin to rival Price's? Does he convince us that he's a Hasek/Kiprusoff type (i.e., the underestimated backup that becomes a terrific starter)?

Just asking. Because it seems to me this hasn't been considered much - that the Olympics could become a real way to guage Halak's potential in a high-end competitive do-or-die situation against elite talent.

What do you think? Does his Olympic performance matter at all to our calculations?

I don't get all of the criticism that Halak gets for his style/technique. How much of a negative effect did Hasek's style/technique have on his effectiveness???

I'd love to see Halak dominate, but lets face it he is playing for Slovakia, not a stacked world junior team that Price did, or even a sufficeintly NHL staffed team that Hasek had in 1998.

I really don't get all of the props Price gets for his resume??? What is the percentage of the world junior goalies over the last 20 years that have dominated at the NHL level??? I think its less then 50% at best.

I think (for the most part) those here arguing for a trade of Halak are doing so not because they think he's a bad goaltender, its because they want to maximize his trade value. Some (myself included) believe that this may be the highwater mark on his time in Montreal and better to trade him now, then wait and see his value diminish.

My thoughts exactly. I'm not a pro Halak, I'm a pro Habs.

My thoughts exactly. I'm not a pro Halak, I'm a pro Habs.

How would trading Halak AND Pleks to a team like Edmonton - the worst team in the league, as has been suggested, going to allow the habs to get us the guys we need to improve??