Is it true the Canadiens have recalled PK Subban?

REV-G

I heard from a few sources that we have called Pk Subban from the Bulldogs to the Canadiens. Can anyone confirm this?

I heard from a few sources that we have called Pk Subban from the Bulldogs to the Canadiens. Can anyone confirm this?

Yep, I noted that in a thread late yesterday afternoon. Whether he'll actually play is another story in itself...

Very excited to see his NHL debut!!!

With PK being called up it goes to show how little I know since in my last post I thought Montreal would call up a bigger defense man because of playing the Flyers. Good for the young man, wishing him great game and much success.

And he looked pretty damm good and looked like be belonged, but he did have more defensive breakdowns than you would like, he got lost a few times and his confusion led to sustained pressure and scoring chances, I attribute this to the must faster pace of the nhl game, nerves, inexperience with dpartners, the goalie etc, all things he will improve upon with each game.

He is clearly a top 4 dman on this team is he is given the quality ice, not sure how the rules work but will the teams be shutting down for the next week or two or will it be business as usual with practice, if they will be working out as a team i would keep him here to work him in practice and get him familiar with his dpartner, PP and PK time, give him a few more games, if he improves and they can commit to quality ice time, keep him up, if not then send him down to play 25mins a game in the hammer.

He is the best dman in the AHL, he was the best Dman in WJC last year and based on how he looked last night, he is #2 behind markov on this team (not sure that's saying much with Hammer, Gill and Spacedout on the roster).

Anyone else horny as hell to see Pk on the PP with Markov? I expect that is our top pairing of the future. A pair of all-stars, that is what I am talkin bout!

Anyone else horny as hell to see Pk on the PP with Markov? I expect that is our top pairing of the future. A pair of all-stars, that is what I am talkin bout!

Whaaaat?

Markov is the exception to the rule. First we're going to destroy Subban's confidence. Then we're going to play him 4:30 a game. Then we'll trade him to Phoenix for a 3rd rounder. THEN he'll become an All-Star.

This is Montreal. Get with the program, man.

And he looked pretty damm good and looked like be belonged, but he did have more defensive breakdowns than you would like, he got lost a few times and his confusion led to sustained pressure and scoring chances, I attribute this to the must faster pace of the nhl game, nerves, inexperience with dpartners, the goalie etc, all things he will improve upon with each game.

He is clearly a top 4 dman on this team is he is given the quality ice, not sure how the rules work but will the teams be shutting down for the next week or two or will it be business as usual with practice, if they will be working out as a team i would keep him here to work him in practice and get him familiar with his dpartner, PP and PK time, give him a few more games, if he improves and they can commit to quality ice time, keep him up, if not then send him down to play 25mins a game in the hammer.

He is the best dman in the AHL, he was the best Dman in WJC last year and based on how he looked last night, he is #2 behind markov on this team (not sure that's saying much with Hammer, Gill and Spacedout on the roster).

I haven't seen as much defensive problems as you have seen. IMO, he was among the best of our defensemen to get the puck out of the zone. He definitely looked like he belongs.

I haven't seen as much defensive problems as you have seen. IMO, he was among the best of our defensemen to get the puck out of the zone. He definitely looked like he belongs.

I too saw a lot of poor misreads/untimely pinches; he's not ready to play as a regular in my opinion. He's shown that he'll be a solid player down the road and this is a good reward, but to proclaim him NHL ready for the rest of his career as some on this board have already is placing way too much pressure on the kid. For once, let's let a player develop before he hits the microscope that is Montreal. There were some good moments and some bad ones with him yesterday - he's a 20 year old defenceman, there's nothing wrong with that. He might play tonight and then he will be sent back to the Bulldogs, hopefully for the rest of the season (as that means the team will be healthy for once).

He was better than every other D man on the ice...I understand the history of young players in Montreal, but the team will never be better if they play is conservative. I can't see what more he can learn in the minors, when he already leads his team in +/-, pts for a D man.

He was better than every other D man on the ice...I understand the history of young players in Montreal, but the team will never be better if they play is conservative. I can't see what more he can learn in the minors, when he already leads his team in +/-, pts for a D man.

Plenty to learn, he doesn't read the play defensively at an NHL level, such has been said throughout the season in Hamilton where he messes up defensively as well. +/- to many is an overrated stat (I think there's some value in it myself), the points are nice though. It means he can hack it offensively which is good, but not defensively yet. The Bulldogs are gearing up for a long playoff run, there's something to be said about being around for that and developing chemistry with the other prospects that are currently with the team.

When all the d-men are healthy (right after the Olympic break since Bergeron's a forward now anyways), he'll have to stay in the minors unless 2 d-men get moved. I don't see that happening, and the cap situation prohibits carrying more than the minimum right now. So like it or not, this is likely his last game in Montreal for a while unless circumstances drastically change.

I think he has shown to be a fast learner, and he would learn more in the NHL, than he would in the minors...thats my uneducated opinion. He looks to be a special player...and can help the team right now.

I think he has shown to be a fast learner, and he would learn more in the NHL, than he would in the minors...thats my uneducated opinion. He looks to be a special player...and can help the team right now.

He's certainly a fast learner, I'll give you that and offensively he can help the team (not defensively though). So how do you make room for him? Which 2 d-men are moved off the roster to make room for him? Mara's 1, who's the other?

Haha I know who I'd wanna move somehow and that would be Spacek. He is useless, can't barely receive passes, is a danger when he's at the point, imo.

I realize it's not in the cards for this year due to the current situation...haha but he could be that offensive guy thats been missing from the habs lately. I guess I'm not really using my head when it comes to wanting him to play. The Ds play just makes it so frustrating to watch most of the time.

Edited by bar

I realize it's not in the cards for this year due to the current situation...haha but he could be that offensive guy thats been missing from the habs lately. I guess I'm not really using my head when it comes to wanting him to play. The Ds play just makes it frustrate to watch most of the time.

It was nice to see that help should be on the way sooner than later and that he could fill a couple of holes (albeit creating some more with his D) right away. Call it a positive in an otherwise disappointing season from the defence and hope that he continues to progress in Hamilton and earn more ice time there.

I'm curious to what the D is going to look like next year...if Suban is in.

Markov/Gil/Gorges/Hammer/Spacek/Suban/Obyrne

Whos the odd man out?

I think a hammer/Subban pairing would be nice...didn't Hammer play with Phanuef during his great seasons in Calgary?

Edited by bar

IMO, he needs another three or four games at most and then he MUST be sent down. Reason? With a few games under his belt, he'll understand the difference between the AHL and NHL and will be able to go back to Hamilton with a clear understanding on what he needs to accomplish in order to take that next step.

It seems to me that the best way to develop an NHLer (in general, of course) is to get them to a point of semi-dominance in the AHL then throw them to the wolves in the NHL for a brief period to allow them to actually feel the difference and then understand why they're being told to improve certain qualities. This process can be repeated fairly continually until the coaches believe a wall has been hit or the player has ultimately become a bonified NHLer.

What happens if he very good in these next games? My problem is...if this is a reward for playing well, and comes here and plays well, but gets sent down what kind of message is this?

the habs need cheaper, younger, faster players b/c of their terrible cap situation and Pleks, Halak and Price all looking at big raises. pk has some defensive zone mix-ups, nothing major and easily correctable with experience with a playing partner and the goalie. philly is not an easy test for any dman, let alone your first nhl game, he did not seem out of place to me, he was not crisp and firm with his passes but that had more to do with his over emphasis on accuracy and not turning the puck over, that will change.

if they give him quality ice and he plays well, how can you justifiable send the kid down, trade dead weight Mara and get a pick, dump the salary, trade mab, get a pick and dump the salary.

trade dead weight Mara and get a pick, dump the salary, trade mab, get a pick and dump the salary.

You make it sound so easy. Like the takers will be lining up to pluck Mara from us. If we don't want Mara and we have a bad defense, then what makes anyone think anybody else in the league will want him?

Another question asked: if he dominates at this level, do you still send him down? Depends on what you mean by dominate. If you mean, plays better than most of our other defensemen and looks good despite making a few errors, then back to Hamilton he should go. If by dominate you really MEAN dominate, then of course he should stay. Based on last night, he's going to be a great addition, but he's not quite at that point yet. Subban is projected to play upper level minutes. Do you want to keep him here in the third pairing with limited ice time as he makes the occasional mistake and gets periodically benched - which would happen with ANY team? Or do you want him to dominate playing 20+ minutes in Hamilton having learned what he needs to do to improve his game during a brief stint in Montreal?