Price vs Halak - Who should we sign in the off season?

habs_25th

37 members have voted

1. 1. Price vs Halak - Who should we sign in the off season?

• Price
    • Halak
    • Both
    • Neither

i dont think u can offer a paycut to an RFA. that'd be less than their qualifying offer lol

It wouldn't be a paycut, per se. His salary is only 850k, the rookie maximum. The rest is all bonus money. A 1.5 million dollar salary would be almost double his current salary.

Edited by Fanpuck33

Imagine an offer to both Price and Halak for 2.9 million each. We can't match so we loose one or both for second round picks.

I can see Burke offering either goalie 2.9 million.

I don't see anyone offerin Price that kind of cake. Maybe Halak, but even he only has this year on his resume. Leclaire, Mason, Price, all goalies that were amazing one year and fell off the map the next year. 2.9 is a lot of money for a goalie that hasn't had more than one good season. Halak could get it though. That would be horrible.

Burke has Giggy now. He can't afford it.

We should sign both, they are young and need time. They both have great upside. And what a duo... when and if we are ready to make a major decision cause they are both in their PRIME and prove to be #1 goalies then we can consider picking one over the other, but for the next three years at least we should hold both.

The other questions to ask is whats the alternative? I really don't see any other young backstop ready to take the #2 spot...

I don't see anyone offerin Price that kind of cake. Maybe Halak, but even he only has this year on his resume. Leclaire, Mason, Price, all goalies that were amazing one year and fell off the map the next year. 2.9 is a lot of money for a goalie that hasn't had more than one good season. Halak could get it though. That would be horrible.

Burke has Giggy now. He can't afford it.

Except Price is still only 22 years old...I can see a lot of teams offering $2.9M offer sheets if they thought it would work and there wasn't a general unwritten code that many GM's still follow around offer sheets in general.

Except Price is still only 22 years old...I can see a lot of teams offering $2.9M offer sheets if they thought it would work and there wasn't a general unwritten code that many GM's still follow around offer sheets in general.

Yeah 2.9 mil is peanuts to risk on a potential franchise goalie. I don't think offer sheets are taboo per se the problem is inflated offer sheets. If someone were to sign Price to a 6 mil offer sheet then there would be hard feelings and Burke would have another melt down :lol:

Th BCHabnut I think that Giggy is UFA.

Yeah 2.9 mil is peanuts to risk on a potential franchise goalie. I don't think offer sheets are taboo per se the problem is inflated offer sheets. If someone were to sign Price to a 6 mil offer sheet then there would be hard feelings and Burke would have another melt down :lol:

Th BCHabnut I think that Giggy is UFA.

Nope, one more year with a $6M cap hit.

Times like this I'm glad I'm not a GM. I would hope to be able to sign both. I have more confidence in Halak and am also persuaded that Price has exceptional potential form that may or may not ever be actualized. Continuing with these Aristotelian and Thomistic terms, the final or end cause is great hockey in the service of happiness.

Signing both will keep me happier next year.

If I were forced to pick one, I would probably keep Halak as the devil I know, though that could be a major boo-boo on my part. I think all Price supporters make very solid arguments.

We should sign both, they are young and need time. They both have great upside. And what a duo... when and if we are ready to make a major decision cause they are both in their PRIME and prove to be #1 goalies then we can consider picking one over the other, but for the next three years at least we should hold both.

The other questions to ask is whats the alternative? I really don't see any other young backstop ready to take the #2 spot...

You don't follow the Bulldogs I take it?

http://www.hamiltonbulldogs.com/league_roster

Here is a decent #2 in the system, or so I believe.

But I still want to sign both.

Yeah, people are forgetting that we have a goalie who is dominating the AHL right now. In fact he has a season GAA less than 2. I don't feel like doing teh math, but comparing him to the other top goalies in the AHL, I think he probably has the best wins to games played ratio.

Edited by ForumGhost

I still would like to stand on making good offers to both goalies, should they not accept, keeping a few bucks to match a few counter offers proposed to either but in the end if I loose either to a bunch of 1st round and 2nd round picks. I don't think I would cry.

Now if I'm in PG's shoes on draft day and there is an out side chance at the Hall kid for either 2 and ??? and ??? then that would most def get my ears open.

Bhaa humbug what do I know... IMO, CP will one day be a real NHL back stop and as for JH well... I think, he can get to be like another former habs goalie... T. Vokoun (my bad if I mis-spelled).

I think PG will find some solution to re-sign Plex via trade of some player, see players. I think that is the better move but, the school of thought that suggest a great team is built the net out always clouds this stance for me. And due to that I would really try hard to keep both goalies and make Plex in that sence a back up signing should I loose either goalies... something that is a very real poss should I take the for mentioned (i)ap-roach ^_^