Markov and Hamrlik practicing with the team

JCPetit

I was at the Colisée this morning, to watch the Canadiens practice before tonight's game against the Islanders.

Good news: Markov and Hamrlik were praticing with the others and they looked good. Of course, both of them took it easy but they did not show any discomfort, which is reassuring.

My guess is that Hamrlik will be in the line-up against Pittsburgh, next Saturday. Markov should be playing against Tampa Bay, October 13.

Way to go Habs!

I was at the Colisée this morning, to watch the Canadiens practice before tonight's game against the Islanders.

Good news: Markov and Hamrlik were praticing with the others and they looked good. Of course, both of them took it easy but they did not show any discomfort, which is reassuring.

My guess is that Hamrlik will be in the line-up against Pittsburgh, next Saturday. Markov should be playing against Tampa Bay, October 13.

Way to go Habs!

Praise the Good Lord in heaven, Markov is a fast healer.

Aren't we lucky that Markov will be in our line up this october. If we are going to win games it all begins from getting the puck out of our zone. I cant believe that fans are bickering that we shouldn't renew Markov to a multi year contract. Which organization parts with their best defenceman ? Let me also add that Hamrlik was our most consistant defenceman last year. Markov and Hamrlik will set the pace for our young defenceman how can anyone say otherwise. :wacko:

Aren't we lucky that Markov will be in our line up this october. If we are going to win games it all begins from getting the puck out of our zone. I cant believe that fans are bickering that we shouldn't renew Markov to a multi year contract. Which organization parts with their best defenceman ? Let me also add that Hamrlik was our most consistant defenceman last year. Markov and Hamrlik will set the pace for our young defenceman how can anyone say otherwise. :wacko:

It will make a big difference IMO. In the last game, against Buffalo, we had only two regular defensemen in the line-up. Cammy and Plex were also missing. That's six top players missing. I think we are improved, but we can't contend with a third of our defense and half our offense. This makes too big a difference, particularly in our zone. The passes don't come quick enough, and most of the time the team loses a lot of energy in its zone; that's why we have had so much penalties.

Too bad the Islanders did not bring a worthy line-up to Quebec. I don't expect much from tonight's game. I sure would not like a loss though. The first to be booed would be Price, of course. Let's hope that it will come easy to him.

If Markov comes back at say, 70% after another knee surgery (and at further risk as a result of said surgery), are you going to want to sign him then? Possibly, but clearly not at the $6+ mil he'll be commanding. That's why there's hesitance, even from the Habs, to do a deal now. As for Hamrlik, I could see him coming back if he's willing to take a significant pay cut.

If Markov comes back at say, 70% after another knee surgery (and at further risk as a result of said surgery), are you going to want to sign him then? Possibly, but clearly not at the $6+ mil he'll be commanding. That's why there's hesitance, even from the Habs, to do a deal now. As for Hamrlik, I could see him coming back if he's willing to take a significant pay cut.

Your points are valid however I do not think that Markov will be seeking 6 million dollars now that he's past his prime. I personaly would like to see his contract extendend to 4 more years at 3.5 million a season even if Markov is only 70 %. As for Hamrlik I also agree that at a significant paycut he would be good to have in our line up.

It will make a big difference IMO. In the last game, against Buffalo, we had only two regular defensemen in the line-up. Cammy and Plex were also missing. That's six top players missing. I think we are improved, but we can't contend with a third of our defense and half our offense. This makes too big a difference, particularly in our zone. The passes don't come quick enough, and most of the time the team loses a lot of energy in its zone; that's why we have had so much penalties.

Too bad the Islanders did not bring a worthy line-up to Quebec. I don't expect much from tonight's game. I sure would not like a loss though. The first to be booed would be Price, of course. Let's hope that it will come easy to him.

Couldn't agree with you more. Man does that Plekanec look great!

Your points are valid however I do not think that Markov will be seeking 6 million dollars now that he's past his prime. I personaly would like to see his contract extendend to 4 more years at 3.5 million a season even if Markov is only 70 %. As for Hamrlik I also agree that at a significant paycut he would be good to have in our line up.

As it stands, there's no way he'd take such a contract. I'd be happy if he did, but if he returns to health, he'll get 6+ from someone (unless it's a long-term, cap friendly deal). As for past his prime, I'm not so sure - he turns 32 in a couple months (I thought he was older actually), he has 2 or 3 above average years left in him at least (barring his knees not being an issue). Hamrlik for $3.5 M may even be a stretch right about now but there'd be a better shot at him taking a deal like that than Markov (though I wish Markov'd prove me wrong). :)

As it stands, there's no way he'd take such a contract. I'd be happy if he did, but if he returns to health, he'll get 6+ from someone (unless it's a long-term, cap friendly deal). As for past his prime, I'm not so sure - he turns 32 in a couple months (I thought he was older actually), he has 2 or 3 above average years left in him at least (barring his knees not being an issue). Hamrlik for $3.5 M may even be a stretch right about now but there'd be a better shot at him taking a deal like that than Markov (though I wish Markov'd prove me wrong). :)

I made the mistake of thinking that Lidstrom, Chelios and Zubov were done in their mid 30s only to watch them

continue to produce until they were close to 40.

The Pens just made that decision with Gonchar, but he is 36.

I can understand the fear of injuries destroying his game, but outside of another devastating injury this season you

cannot let him walk next summer.

I can understand the fear of injuries destroying his game, but outside of another devastating injury this season you cannot let him walk next summer.

Agreed - but there's no need to rush to sign him at this point given the uncertainties and the potential for further injury. Considering how often he's said he wants to remain with the Habs, that only lessens the need to sign him right away as some want - when the time comes, they'll get a deal done (assuming there's no more injury woes).

People worry too much about Markov's contract IMHO. This guy has consistently supported Montreal and repeatedly said that Montreal is where he wants to be. I'm sure if we offer him a contract similar to his current one, he will sign it. And Wamsley speaks wise words (as usual). It is a big mistake to write off a player of this calibre because he's 31. He likely has another 5 years of peak or near-peak performance left in him. The only question mark is injuries...once he returns, he *does* need to put together a healthy season in order to allay fears on this front.

Thats what Serge Savard said about Chelios in 1990/91

Edited by hab29RETIRED

I'm getting the sense people think I'm advocating to not re-sign Markov. I'm not. All I'm saying is that there's no need to do it now. If he's not 100% after coming back from another knee surgery, he's not going to be worth the market value that he'd have if he signed tomorrow. That's why the Habs themselves have said there's no rush to get something done.

An honest question: If he comes back and struggles (loses a step), are you going to want to pay him $6 or more million? If yes, then sign him now but if no, then you wait.

I'm getting the sense people think I'm advocating to not re-sign Markov. I'm not. All I'm saying is that there's no need to do it now. If he's not 100% after coming back from another knee surgery, he's not going to be worth the market value that he'd have if he signed tomorrow. That's why the Habs themselves have said there's no rush to get something done.

An honest question: If he comes back and struggles (loses a step), are you going to want to pay him $6 or more million? If yes, then sign him now but if no, then you wait.

I'd rather show good faith and commitment now and try and get him signed to a 4-5 yr $5-5.5m or 5-6 yr $4.5-5m deal, rather than pay more later. Right now he may sign for less because of the uncertainty and because of the show of confidence by the team.

I said the same thing about pleks after the first 10-15 games and most people felt he wasn't for real. If we had tried signing him then, who knows, it could have been in the $4-4.5m range. Even as late as February most people here were averse to committing to Pleks just in case be isn't for real.

I said the same thing about pleks after the first 10-15 games and most people felt he wasn't for real. If we had tried signing him then, who knows, it could have been in the $4-4.5m range. Even as late as February most people here were averse to committing to Pleks just in case be isn't for real.

To be fair, we're in October and I'd imagine many people share that same sentiment now, hoping he wasn't a one-trick pony. The preseason results are certainly encouraging though...

• 2 weeks later...

That is so on the money. He isn't going to be worth more in 6 months if he is healthy. It would be risky. God forbid Andre's knee doesn't hold up, but I have full respect for the medical people the Habs use. Remember when Sourey came back... If he has lost a step, I am sure there will be a discount in his next contract. Maybe even a short term agreement to see if he regains it as his physio continues. Here's to a healthy return, and please not until he really is 100%. The team is holding there own against some top teams without him. Don't rush him as we need him so much down the stretch and through the playoffs. I don't think Hammer is 100% but understand getting him in as soon as they could as we were down 2 D.....

That is so on the money. He isn't going to be worth more in 6 months if he is healthy. It would be risky. God forbid Andre's knee doesn't hold up, but I have full respect for the medical people the Habs use. Remember when Sourey came back... If he has lost a step, I am sure there will be a discount in his next contract. Maybe even a short term agreement to see if he regains it as his physio continues. Here's to a healthy return, and please not until he really is 100%. The team is holding there own against some top teams without him. Don't rush him as we need him so much down the stretch and through the playoffs. I don't think Hammer is 100% but understand getting him in as soon as they could as we were down 2 D.....

Right. We're playing well. Why rush Markov back when so much depends on him? The idea of making sure his knee is OK before re-signing him is also common sense.

Say he comes back, and he hasn't lost a step. He's the same old General Markov we've come to know and love. Richard Labbé, in the article linked below, said he spoke with an agent who knows Markov well, and said Markov would be looking for 5 years, 30$ million.

I'm just paraphrasing, there is no more information than that regarding what capacity this mysterious agent knows Markov, so let's just take this as a fun debate. So again:

Markov returns with no discernable decrease in level of play due to his recent injuries; do you give him that contract?

[Let's assume for argument's sake it's a constant salary contract like Gionta/Cammalleri/Plekanec i.e. no front loading; for the sake of not getting into the new 35+ contract cap rules (save Brian some thinking too)]

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/sports/hockey/pl...pour-markov.php

More info noted in the above article:

-He's currently the 10th highest paid defenseman in the league at $5.7 mil.

-He's turning 32 this season.

I think that's it.

[Let's assume for argument's sake it's a constant salary contract like Gionta/Cammalleri/Plekanec i.e. no front loading; for the sake of not getting into the new 35+ contract cap rules (save Brian some thinking too)]

I appreciate you looking out for me, Seb :), but as long as the contract doesn't bring Markov into his 40's (like Chara), it's a straight total salary/term = cap hit deal. As long as the deal isn't signed when he's 35 (it wouldn't be as he's younger now), he should be fine. The only way it could become an issue is if he signed a 2-3 year deal and became a UFA again at 35/36.

I appreciate you looking out for me, Seb :), but as long as the contract doesn't bring Markov into his 40's (like Chara), it's a straight total salary/term = cap hit deal. As long as the deal isn't signed when he's 35 (it wouldn't be as he's younger now), he should be fine. The only way it could become an issue is if he signed a 2-3 year deal and became a UFA again at 35/36.

Really? I thought part of the new rules included something for 35+ years even if the contract was signed before... Guess I got turned around. You know better than me, that's for sure.

Really? I thought part of the new rules included something for 35+ years even if the contract was signed before... Guess I got turned around. You know better than me, that's for sure.

40 is the threshold for that, Chara is the only example so far. Here's the breakdown (cap hit per year in parentheses):

11-12: $8,500,000 ($6,916,666)

12-13: $6,000,000 ($6,916,666)

13-14: $8,000,000 ($6,916,666)

14-15: $7,000,000 ($6,916,666)

15-16: $7,000,000 ($6,916,666)

16-17: $5,000,000 ($6,916,666)

17-18: $4,000,000 ($4,000,000)

Basically, the cap hit is done two ways: Until the player turns 40, it's the sum of the cash received before 40 divided by the number of years before 40. At and beyond 40, it's the sum of the cash received at/after 40 divided by those number of years. So unless Markov (will be 32 when he signs) signs a 9 or 10 year deal, we won't have to worry about the new rules.

As for what Markov's value is to the Habs, this would be a good article to read: http://www.habsworld.net/article.php?id=2232