Should Eller be sent to Hamilton?

JGC21

After watching enough Habs game this young season, I can't help but think that Lars Eller would probably benefit from a stint in Hamilton playing center on the first or second line. His play with the Canadiens hasn't been awful, but it hasn't been great either. I think the Canadiens should call up Ryan White in Eller's place and insert him into the 4th line:

White / Lapierre / Pyatt

I might even try White on the wing with Gomez and Gionta. This move would save $450k in cap space for Gauthier to maybe make a trade to help the back end. The $ savings and the playing time Eller would receive in the AHL makes this move smart. Not sure the Canadiens would miss Eller's play anyways, but could surely benefit from White's energy and physical toughness.

Thoughts?

After watching enough Habs game this young season, I can't help but think that Lars Eller would probably benefit from a stint in Hamilton playing center on the first or second line. His play with the Canadiens hasn't been awful, but it hasn't been great either. I think the Canadiens should call up Ryan White in Eller's place and insert him into the 4th line:

White / Lapierre / Pyatt

I might even try White on the wing with Gomez and Gionta. This move would save $450k in cap space for Gauthier to maybe make a trade to help the back end. The $ savings and the playing time Eller would receive in the AHL makes this move smart. Not sure the Canadiens would miss Eller's play anyways, but could surely benefit from White's energy and physical toughness.

Thoughts?

The only issue I have with that is that White, Pyatt, Moen, Boyd, all have stone hands. They all play a similar game and dont have hands. I think Eller can help the team. We just need to be patient with Martin's tactics. I do agree that White should be in the line up, but it's tough to see that skill go down. Eller really can handle the puck.

Edited by BCHabnut

White / Lapierre / Pyatt

Thoughts?

Patience.

dlbar in the rumour thread presents a scenario whereby sending Eller down, along with trading away a couple of players to the Canucks, would free up sufficient cap room to add Kevin Bieksa. We can have a discussion about whether or not Bieksa is a good fit; but my point is, I would only send Eller down if I thought that it was necessary to create room for a player I really wanted to add to the lineup. I would not send Eller down as a developmental move. He is learning tons right now about what it means to be an NHLer. Let him go through the learning process. Only if he is in the press box for extended intervals would I consider sending him down, because at that point he is no longer learning much, just sitting on his ass.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

He is getting 10 minutes a game and doing well with it. Put him in the top 6 for the entire year and he might score 20 goals but then expectations rise on him and when he has his first slump he has a lot more pressure to deal with.

This is how all normal/good prospects develop. Only extremely anticipated prospects like Subban and Price get to come into the line up and get a top job right away. Plekanec, Higgins, Kostitsyn, Streit, Perezhogin, Halak, Pyatt, Markov, Komisarek, etc.. all had to do it this way. If he starts averaging 5 minutes a night and is too irresponsible for more, then sure, send him down.

dlbar in the rumour thread presents a scenario whereby sending Eller down, along with trading away a couple of players to the Canucks, would free up sufficient cap room to add Kevin Bieksa. We can have a discussion about whether or not Bieksa is a good fit; but my point is, I would only send Eller down if I thought that it was necessary to create room for a player I really wanted to add to the lineup. I would not send Eller down as a developmental move. He is learning tons right now about what it means to be an NHLer. Let him go through the learning process. Only if he is in the press box for extended intervals would I consider sending him down, because at that point he is no longer learning much, just sitting on his ass.

No. He is fine where he is. I think it is only time before he gets first/second line duties. Someboby will get hurt or Martin will realize that he isn't getting it done. Eller just needs reps. His time will come.

At the moment, Eller is where he should be. He's learning the NHL game and he doesn't have ridiculous expectations thrust upon him. The only difference I would like to see in the near future, is to give the kid some powerplay time to boost his confidence. Other than that, Martin is bringing Eller along just fine, IMO.

+1.

Everyone should read the new EOTP article about Halak/Eller.

http://www.habseyesontheprize.com/2010/11/...der-trade-value

Which was written by the man I quote above.

That's what I always respond when people say Gauthier should have got more: name trades where the team trading the goalie did better than Montreal did.

The other person either has to shut up or argue that Halak has more value than all those other goalies.

That's what I always respond when people say Gauthier should have got more: name trades where the team trading the goalie did better than Montreal did.

The other person either has to shut up or argue that Halak has more value than all those other goalies.

Yepp, which is very difficult to do convincingly.

Yepp, which is very difficult to do convincingly.

There was definitely a lot of hype around him at the time he was moved but that hype is also what blinds some people from seeing those things that limited his value (lack of experience, inconsistency, lots of decent goalies were about to become UFA).

Eller to Hamilton? No Freaken way! This kid should be playing on the same line with Gionta and Gomez. I understand Jacque Martin's motives for placing Eller on the 3rd or 4th line however bluntly speaking that's just a waste of good talent. If management didn't believe that Eller can play with the top 6 they simply would not have traded for him. So enough with the bullshit this kid has the talent with great ice vision and must be playing on the top 6 otherwise theres a risk that we might in fact be destroying him and most of us can agree that montreal has a reputation for doing just that with young talented players that want to play here. :hlogo:

Eller to Hamilton? No Freaken way! This kid should be playing on the same line with Gionta and Gomez. I understand Jacque Martin's motives for placing Eller on the 3rd or 4th line however bluntly speaking that's just a waste of good talent. If management didn't believe that Eller can play with the top 6 they simply would not have traded for him. So enough with the bullshit this kid has the talent with great ice vision and must be playing on the top 6 otherwise theres a risk that we might in fact be destroying him and most of us can agree that montreal has a reputation for doing just that with young talented players that want to play here. :hlogo:

I appreciate your passion, but sheesh. They hand Price the #1 job and they are attacked for 'ruining' him by not bringing him along more gradually. They bring Eller along gradually and they are attacked for not putting him on the first line. In fact, the traditional 'Montreal Canadiens' way of developing young players - the method we used in the dynasty era - was to bring them along gradually. Even Koivu spent a year on the third and fourth lines. The Detroit Red Wings do the same thing. Jacques Martin has a proven track record in developing young players and there is no indication of anything wrong with Eller at this point. This is what Wamsley means when he counsels 'patience.'

I appreciate your passion, but sheesh. They hand Price the #1 job and they are attacked for 'ruining' him by not bringing him along more gradually. They bring Eller along gradually and they are attacked for not putting him on the first line. In fact, the traditional 'Montreal Canadiens' way of developing young players - the method we used in the dynasty era - was to bring them along gradually. Even Koivu spent a year on the third and fourth lines. The Detroit Red Wings do the same thing. Jacques Martin has a proven track record in developing young players and there is no indication of anything wrong with Eller at this point. This is what Wamsley means when he counsels 'patience.'

The reason that I would like to see Eller playing with the Gionta-Gomez is that they succeeded during the exhibition games and also showed some chemistry. The Gionta-Gomez line is currently in joepardy although they've tried filling that gap with Pouliot,Pyatt or Moen and just never panned out. So that leaves us no time or many other choices but to reunite Eller with Gomez-Gionta. Just my thought!

Edited by nikohab

I'll throw this out for the sake of discussion - if Eller is going to keep playing ~8 minutes a game on the bottom lines, maybe he would benefit from a stint in Hamilton to get ice time if nothing else. As I type this, Desharnais has a point in every game this year for Hamilton (14 points in 10 games), perhaps this could be a time to bring him up while there's a spot in the top-6 up for grabs?

Personally, I'm intrigued to see if he'll play next game with Cammalleri and Plekanec as he finished out last night, that could be the opportunity Eller needs. If he doesn't get it though, is now the time to give Desharnais a look?

I'll throw this out for the sake of discussion - if Eller is going to keep playing ~8 minutes a game on the bottom lines, maybe he would benefit from a stint in Hamilton to get ice time if nothing else. As I type this, Desharnais has a point in every game this year for Hamilton (14 points in 10 games), perhaps this could be a time to bring him up while there's a spot in the top-6 up for grabs?

Personally, I'm intrigued to see if he'll play next game with Cammalleri and Plekanec as he finished out last night, that could be the opportunity Eller needs. If he doesn't get it though, is now the time to give Desharnais a look?

But if Martin decides that he needs someone new to play with Gomez and Gionta, and he decided just a month ago that Eller is better than Desharnais, than why would he now use Desharnais in that spot without even trying Eller there? If the issue is Eller's icetime - top 6 icetime for Eller in the NHL > top 6 icetime in the AHL.

But if Martin decides that he needs someone new to play with Gomez and Gionta, and he decided just a month ago that Eller is better than Desharnais, than why would he now use Desharnais in that spot without even trying Eller there? If the issue is Eller's icetime - top 6 icetime for Eller in the NHL > top 6 icetime in the AHL.

But if it's 4th line NHL ice (as it has been) vs top-6 AHL ice? That's the question basically from the beginning of the thread. If Eller's going to get a look in the top-6 with Montreal, of course you don't send him down, let him have his look (heck, everyone else has almost).

But if it's 4th line NHL ice (as it has been) vs top-6 AHL ice? That's the question basically from the beginning of the thread. If Eller's going to get a look in the top-6 with Montreal, of course you don't send him down, let him have his look (heck, everyone else has almost).

Right.

Eller on the 2nd line NHL > Eller on the 4th line NHL (in terms of his development)

Whether Eller on 1st line AHL > Eller on 4th line NHL is debatable but I don't see why the option should even be explored until Eller has had his shot on the Gomez line.

A month ago, they decided that Eller would be more valuable to the team than Desharnais. Why would they now decide the opposite and hand Desharnais an important role on the team before first offering it to Eller? Has Desharnais's work in Hamilton made him jump NHL players on the depth chart?

Actually, according to lines during practice, it will be A.K. moving to the Gomez line and Eller up on Plekanec's line.

And dman duos have changed too!

(LucGelinas) En plus d'avoir changé ses trios, Jacques Martin a aussi modifié ses duos de défenseurs.

MARKOV-GORGES

GILL-SUBBAN

HAMRLIK-spacek

What did I say?! hehe. Gorges+Markov and Gill+Subban makes a LOT more sense. NOw both Markov and Subban can be more free in the offensive zone, and not worry if his teammate is covering his back.

Actually, according to lines during practice, it will be A.K. moving to the Gomez line and Eller up on Plekanec's line.

What did I say?! hehe. Gorges+Markov and Gill+Subban makes a LOT more sense. NOw both Markov and Subban can be more free in the offensive zone, and not worry if his teammate is covering his back.

Good to see. Looks like they're ready to feed Markov some of the heavy minutes now. Gill and Gorges should still be used together... on the PK. At ES, Gill is a liability. Gorges isn't. Gill-Subban will get the easy minutes even strength.

I like these changes.

I dunno. I could see PK caught pinching, and still making it back to the D zone before Gill. ^_^