Build Your Habs

Trizzak

The more I think about it, the more I think Wiz should be signed if possible. We are on here talking like Hammer is some old slow bad defenseman. There is no doubt he lost a step, but for the last two years he has been the team's number One D. With Gill signed, I would rather let him go at this time, but it does leave a hole. I have seen too many sophmore slumps to count and to assume Subban will not have one may be a bit optimistic. Yemilin is supposed to be good, but will certainly have an adjustment period. Markov and Gorges are both back from season ending injury. That is a lot of what ifs. If he could unload Spacek, it would be good to see both Wiz and a three million dollar player added, but I wouldn't count on both. I think you will see one or the other. In that case, I think defense is the place to add.

I would sign him in a new york minute as long as it is a reasonable contract under 4 mill. more than that is a mistake. imho

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would sign him in a new york minute as long as it is a reasonable contract under 4 mill. more than that is a mistake. imho

I bet about 15 teams will try to make that "mistake."

From Bob Mackenzie:

I'm told the upper limit of the 2011-12 NHL salary cap will be $64 million. The lower limit, or floor, will be $48 million.

This might make the possibility of signing both Markov and Wisniewski more realistic.

FORWARDS

Mike Cammalleri ($6.000m) / Tomas Plekanec ($5.000m) / Jaromir Jagr ($3.000m)

Max Pacioretty ($2.000m) / Scott Gomez ($7.357m) / Brian Gionta ($5.000m)

Travis Moen ($1.500m) / Lars Eller ($1.270m) / Andrei Kostitsyn ($3.250m)

Benoit Pouliot ($1.350m) / David Desharnais ($0.800m) / Mathieu Darche ($0.700m)

Tom Pyatt ($0.600m) / / Ryan White ($0.600m)

DEFENSEMEN

Andrei Markov ($5.750m) / Josh Gorges ($3.000m)

Hal Gill ($2.250m) / P.K. Subban ($0.875m)

Jaroslav Spacek ($3.833m) / Alexei Yemelin ($0.984m)

/ Yannick Weber ($0.650m)

GOALTENDERS

Carey Price ($2.750m) / Alex Auld ($1.000m)

BUYOUTS: Georges Laraque ($0.500m)

SALARY CAP: $62,500,000; CAP PAYROLL: $60,020,509; BONUSES: $400,000

CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $2,479,491

I love that team. Why? Because everything changes by adding just one impact player. Suddenly we're a 4 line scoring threat with cap space to spare. Even if Jagr only scores 20 goals, it still makes all the other lines better.

Some say that Jagr doesn't fit the current team mould, but dammit I don't care when the roster is that damn pretty looking.

I especially like the bottom 6 combos - never really considered Moen-Eller-AK, but it has a certain appeal, and Poo-DD-Darche looks awesome - those two wingers are big enough to do the dirty work for DD and skilled enough to outplay the kind of grinding competition they'll face.

I'm open to the idea but I wonder if Jagr is the right fit. My biggest concern is stamina for 16+ minutes/game. I'm leaning more towards Laich - more chemistry, more physicality, interchangeable with AK for the top six/third line spot, whereas Jagr would be a sourpuss if he got bumped down, I guess...

Some may be inclined to think that the $64M cap ceiling will open up lots of possibilities, but a) every team has that $ to burn and b) the players know it!

It sounds as though we can re-sign Wiz IF he wants to play here. If it becomes a bidding war with Detroit, then it might be wiser to go after Laich and/or Jagr and/or Talbot, or some other UFA defenceman. I agree that Laich seems a nice fit; and while I will be massively aggravated if we lose Wiz - a loss we will deeply regret at some point next season - it's true that more modest but indisputably 'solid' moves, such as adding Talbot, are more in tune with Gauthier's GMing style, based on his history. I suspect the net result will be a small bundle of useful moves, coupled with a lingering unease about 'what might have been' had we had the cojones to sign The Wiz.

Habs 29, check out the link on the front pageabout offseason moves. Are you writing a blog? Very close to your wishlist.

Are you referring to the "Summer Playbook"? Not mine, but is suspiciously close to what I've been saying for pretty much the past 5-6 months. Even some of the cap hits/terms are pretty close to what I've said we should lock up Wiz and Gorges for and the line combos are quite similar as well.

Although, there is no way I'd resign Auld, I'd much rather move Moen and qualify Pouliot. Moen IMO is no where near as physical player as he was with Anaheim, his best days are clearly behind him, Pouliot's best days are ahead of him - I'd rather have the habs benefit from his future success then someone else.

I also wouldn't want to bring back Picard or Pyatt.

• 2 weeks later...

FORWARDS (13)Tomas Fleischmann ($3,450,000)Tomas Plekanec ($5,000,000)Mike Cammalleri ($6,000,000)Brian Gionta ($5,000,000)Scott Gomez ($7,357,143)Max Pacioretty ($1,625,000)Andrei Kostitsyn ($3,250,000)Lars Eller ($1,270,833)Maxime Talbot ($2,750,000)Zenon Konopka ($1,000,000)Ryan White ($1,000,000)David Desharnais ($850,000)Mathieu Darche ($700,000)DEFENSEMEN (7)Andrei Markov ($5,750,000)Alexei Yemelin ($984,200)Hal Gill ($2,250,000)P.K. Subban ($875,000)Roman Hamrlik ($2,500,000)Josh Gorges ($3,250,000)Yannick Weber ($1,750,000)GOALTENDERS (2)Carey Price ($2,750,000)Joey MacDonald ($750,000)BUYOUTS (1)Georges Laraque ($500,000)SUMMARY (totals compiled without the bonus cushion)ROSTER SIZE22SALARY CAP$64,300,000CAP PAYROLL$60,362,176BONUSES$400,000CAP SPAC3,737,824This would be my 2011-2012 squad, as you can see there are a couple of changes. As for the whereabouts of spacek and moen they've been both traded to colorado for the rights of thomas fleischmann and a 5th round pick. I for one find this a very intriguing scenario for montreal because colorado has about a bit over 35 million in cap space and it would work out perfectly for both teams.

For colorado given the fact that this is not a deep free agent market this year, they add spacek who can help them short term for the loss of liles, and an energy guy an moen, both at the end of the year become free agents while also helping colorado inch closer to the cap limit.

As for montreal it gives them a top six forward {considering they sign him} while shedding salary for the arrivals of konopka and talbot. please let me know what you think

I read today that Talbot had turned down 3.9 for three years. Has anybody got any discernable logic why he would expect that kind of money?

No way is it 3.9m per. I assume it is 3.9/3, or 1.3 per year. Since Moen got 1.5m (and others have scored higher), Talbot probably thinks he can do better.

No way is it 3.9m per. I assume it is 3.9/3, or 1.3 per year. Since Moen got 1.5m (and others have scored higher), Talbot probably thinks he can do better.

It's a very dangerous UFA season. Not only are there too many teams chasing too few good players, there's all those crappy-market clubs trying to hit the cap floor. There's quite a few middling UFAs that could help the Habs, but I fear they're all going to be priced unrealistically.

It's a very dangerous UFA season. Not only are there too many teams chasing too few good players, there's all those crappy-market clubs trying to hit the cap floor. There's quite a few middling UFAs that could help the Habs, but I fear they're all going to be priced unrealistically.

Bang on. I have a very hard time to believe that raising the cap floor can help the "small" markets. That will translate in giving average players a Jeff Finger kind of contract, therefore opening the door to huge crazy contracts for 70+ pts per season players and even more for the superstars.

Just like the lockout never happened...

Exactly. I've even heard he's turned down $2 mil per year. He will be one of the most sought after players on the market if the number of teams wanting to trade for his rights is any indication.

The prospect of signing Wiz now seems to be an impossibility and Hammer will test the market before getting back to us.

Maybe Ehrhoff is our best bet?

The prospect of signing Wiz now seems to be an impossibility and Hammer will test the market before getting back to us.

I didn't think it made economical sense long-term to sign Wisniewski. As Ehrhoff will cost even more, I'd have to disagree. I think it'll be a lesser d-man or status quo with efforts being made to shore up the forwards (and not necessarily just the top-6). On that note, perhaps I should finally submit a roster to this thread...

For the sake of contributing something different, I'm going to focus on the Habs taking the money they have to shore up the bottom-6 with names that haven't been discussed a whole lot.

Forwards

Andrei Kostitsyn ($3.250m) - Tomas Plekanec ($5.000m) - Mike Cammalleri ($6.000m)

Max Pacioretty ($1.625m) - Scott Gomez ($7.357m) - Brian Gionta ($5.000m)

Antti Miettinen ($2.800m) - Lars Eller ($1.270m) - David Desharnais ($0.850m)

Travis Moen ($1.500m) - Michael Rupp ($1.050m) - Ryan White ($0.600m)

Mathieu Darche ($0.700m)

Defence

Andrei Markov ($5.750m) - Josh Gorges ($2.950m)

Hal Gill ($2.250m) - P.K. Subban ($0.875m)

Alexei Yemelin ($0.984m) - Yannick Weber ($0.850m)

Jaroslav Spacek ($3.833m)

Goalies

Carey Price ($2.750m)

Ty Conklin ($0.875m)

Buyout:

Georges Laraque ($0.500m)

Payroll: $59,220,509

Bonuses: $400,000

Cap Space (23-man roster): $5,079,491

Rupp is the type of forward the Habs may want for the 4th line, some grit with some talent and not a lot of 'stupidness.' Rupp also has played C short-term in the past and has done okay on faceoffs; Desharnais could drop down if there are fears that he can't be a regular C while White has played there as well. Miettinen is someone the organization is familiar with as he played in Hamilton years ago. I picked Conklin as a goalie solely to be different, though I do think he has something left. This roster has flexibility to make a big signing should an opportunity present itself either in July or midseason...or when the inevitable injuries happen.

I also created it thinking ahead that the cap will go down after the CBA and that having short-term flexibility here also means long-term flexibility, ideal to me for reasons I've explained before.

Goalies

Carey Price ($2.750m)

Ty Conklin ($0.875m)

I picked Conklin as a goalie solely to be different, though I do think he has something left.

Sad. We just lost in SC final.

Can someone please explain how we get a 7th for Wiz (potentially a 5th, I know...is that the extent of the future considerations?!) while Ehroff gets moved TWICE for 4th round picks?

Can someone please explain how we get a 7th for Wiz (potentially a 5th, I know...is that the extent of the future considerations?!) while Ehroff gets moved TWICE for 4th round picks?

cuz Ehroff is a better overall dman. IMO

Geez, Fathead Hickey estimates that the Habs will have $8 mil to play with AFTER signing Gorges, White, a backup and another minor forward. If he's right, we're in a position to sign almost anybody we want - the question will be how willing we are to take on a bloated contract, which every significant UFA is certain to get in this insanely overvalued market.

So the question becomes...who, in this year's crop, would you be willing to overpay?

I'll confess, given team needs, Cole would be on that list for me. And I still think we should be looking at a quality puck-moving defenceman.

Well, yes...I already knew that....I just thought that given the hype about how much interest there is in Wiz that someone would be willing to part with more than a 7th

cuz Ehroff is a better overall dman. IMO