Has Gauthier finished with free agency and is now looking to trade?

jmaac1

Today I just want to start off by saying that the habs made a big mistake not getting in on Eric Fehr (4th round pick and a midlevel prospect for a guy who could of anchored our third line for years to come, come on gauthier get in on these deals!).

I know the fact that there are still some remaining free agents left (winchester, grier, bernier) to name a few who can fit the bill for the habs, but as the days pass by and seeing better fits like stewart and konopka sign elsewhere. I finally realized that gauthier is probably done with free agency. Having said that, there have been lots of rumors going around, that montreal have been in numerous trade discussions with couple of teams, most notably Washington, Chicago, and the Devils. Prompting me to believe that Gauthier has elected to take the "trade" route. And an interesting theory came to me, why hasn't Gauthier signed gorges yet? (don't worry he will be signed) yes the most common answer is either that they haven't been able to agree on the money yet or possibly on how many years or perhaps both. But isn't gauthier the type of person who gets things done right away? and haven't the habs stated that Gorges is one of their top priorities all offseason? So maybe gauthier is playing this card differently, maybe he doesn't want to sign gorges "yet" because he still looking for that "bigger forward" as per Renaud Lavoie stated a couple days ago. At first when he said bigger forward I thought right away maybe someone who is physically bigger in terms of height and physicality. And then it made sense to me, was he talking perhaps of adding another top six forward? Very unlikely but is very possible as well, and considering gauthier is very unpredictable, who knows. So I've put together a couple of trade scenario's based on my theory and the rumors going around the NHL.

Trade number 1- Habs trade Andrei Kostitsyn, Travis Moen, Arron Palushaj and a 3rd round pick to Washington for Alexander Semin, Matt Hendricks and a 6th round pick.

Here's how it works- Kostitsyn's cap hit is 3.25 million, Moen's cap hit is 1.5 million giving you a total of 4.75 million and if palushaj were to make the caps roster his cap hit is 883 000, so add that to 4.7 million and you get a 5.5 million dollar cap hit. Semin's cap hit is 6.7 and Hendricks cap hit is 825 000 giving us a total of 7.5 million cap hit. And with montreal having 8.3 million in cap space they would take on at most an extra 2 million (considering palushaj makes the team) Thus giving them 6.3 million left to sign Gorges and White for that matter, for washington they save 2 miilion giving them more breathing room in cap space.

Why it makes sense- In my eyes Semin is the "bigger forward" that lavoie was talking about (6'2 210 and one of the best scorers in the league) and considering he is a free agent next year, and with the caps being very thin in cap space for next year as well, so they ought to get some talent back considering he won't return to them. so adding him and hendricks a solid 3rd line grinder (6'0 205 but very physical and has some scoring ability) would put montreal as one of the most talented teams in the NHL. As for washington they get a good package in return with kostitsyn (20-25 goal scorer), Moen (energy guy with championship experience) and don't forget that these are both UFA's at the end of the year so they could just be rentals, and add palushaj ( an nhl ready talented offensive prospect) and a 3rd round pick just to sweeten the deal. So in my opinion the perfect blockbuster just waiting to happenhyper.gif.

Trade number 2- Habs trade Aaron palushaj and a 6th round pick to chicago for Viktor Stahlberg, and John Scott.

Here's how it works- Although Stahlberg cap hit last season was 800 000 he is a RFA and will probably fetch around 950 000 to 1.1 million, and John Scott's cap hit will be 512 000 this year. As for Palushaj if he were to make the team his cap hit again would be 883 000, so as you can see not a lot of money changing sides.

Why it makes sense- For the habs its simple they pick up a good 3rd line forward who is big (6'3) young (25) and who has the potential to be a 20 goal scorer in this league, and as for scott they pick up that depth defenseman they are missing, who i must say is a hulking (6'8 260 pound) defenseman who is a rugged, smashmouth type of player who will bring toughness to our squad. (god would I love to see him break chara's face). As for chicago they shave probably around 1.4 to 1.5 million in cap space thus giving them that extra cushion to sign both Campoli and Frolik, while also adding themselves a solid offensive prospect in palushaj who can possibly crack the lineup in 2012.

There you have it folks, any thoughts?

I don't want to trade Kostitsyn either.

He has started hitting like a monster in the last season especially. He is more defensively responsible and despite still being a streaky scorer he is good for 20-25 goals a season. I hope that Cole can teach Andre a few things to make him even more productive.

Unless PG intends to let him walk at the end of next year I hope we keep him.

Today I just want to start off by saying that the habs made a big mistake not getting in on Eric Fehr (4th round pick and a midlevel prospect for a guy who could of anchored our third line for years to come, come on gauthier get in on these deals!).

Trade number 1- Habs trade Andrei Kostitsyn, Travis Moen, Arron Palushaj and a 3rd round pick to Washington for Alexander Semin, Matt Hendricks and a 6th round pick.

Here's how it works- Kostitsyn's cap hit is 3.25 million, Moen's cap hit is 1.5 million giving you a total of 4.75 million and if palushaj were to make the caps roster his cap hit is 883 000, so add that to 4.7 million and you get a 5.5 million dollar cap hit. Semin's cap hit is 6.7 and Hendricks cap hit is 825 000 giving us a total of 7.5 million cap hit. And with montreal having 8.3 million in cap space they would take on at most an extra 2 million (considering palushaj makes the team) Thus giving them 6.3 million left to sign Gorges and White for that matter, for washington they save 2 miilion giving them more breathing room in cap space.

Why it makes sense- In my eyes Semin is the "bigger forward" that lavoie was talking about (6'2 210 and one of the best scorers in the league) and considering he is a free agent next year, and with the caps being very thin in cap space for next year as well, so they ought to get some talent back considering he won't return to them. so adding him and hendricks a solid 3rd line grinder (6'0 205 but very physical and has some scoring ability) would put montreal as one of the most talented teams in the NHL. As for washington they get a good package in return with kostitsyn (20-25 goal scorer), Moen (energy guy with championship experience) and don't forget that these are both UFA's at the end of the year so they could just be rentals, and add palushaj ( an nhl ready talented offensive prospect) and a 3rd round pick just to sweeten the deal. So in my opinion the perfect blockbuster just waiting to happenhyper.gif.

Trade number 2- Habs trade Aaron palushaj and a 6th round pick to chicago for Viktor Stahlberg, and John Scott.

Here's how it works- Although Stahlberg cap hit last season was 800 000 he is a RFA and will probably fetch around 950 000 to 1.1 million, and John Scott's cap hit will be 512 000 this year. As for Palushaj if he were to make the team his cap hit again would be 883 000, so as you can see not a lot of money changing sides.

Why it makes sense- For the habs its simple they pick up a good 3rd line forward who is big (6'3) young (25) and who has the potential to be a 20 goal scorer in this league, and as for scott they pick up that depth defenseman they are missing, who i must say is a hulking (6'8 260 pound) defenseman who is a rugged, smashmouth type of player who will bring toughness to our squad. (god would I love to see him break chara's face). As for chicago they shave probably around 1.4 to 1.5 million in cap space thus giving them that extra cushion to sign both Campoli and Frolik, while also adding themselves a solid offensive prospect in palushaj who can possibly crack the lineup in 2012.

There you have it folks, any thoughts?

My first thought is that if you have pegged Palushaj's value as a 4th or 5th round pick as you have in the possible Gauthier targets thread, he can't possibly hold as much value as you have him going for here. I personally want no part of Semin who is a coaster during the season and a choker in the playoffs. I also want no part of John Scott who cannot skate, pass, shoot, or do anything but hit and fight. The Habs have shown before they don't want uni-dimensional goons so they're not going to go out of their way to trade for one. Like Stalberg, Palushaj has the potential to be a productive scorer in the league, I'd prefer the cheaper and younger player myself.

I'm also not as upset at you for the Habs not jumping in on the Fehr deal. This is a player who has had a significant injury for 3 straight seasons, and at one point last year was a healthy scratch. Is he a good 3rd liner? Sure. More than that? He's shown that he can't be a 2nd liner in the past. He makes $2.2 mil this year and is arbitration eligible after, meaning he'll be closer to mid-high 2 million range. It doesn't make a lot of sense to pay 3rd liners that type of money when you have a top-heavy team in terms of players with high salaries. If you have 5 forwards making $4.5 million+ like Montreal does, you need to go cheap on the lower lines to make up for it, Fehr goes against that.

I do agree with your sentiment that Montreal is likely done in free agency though, there's not much more than depth guys and if the Habs intend to use some of their remaining cap space on an outside upgrade, it almost has to be done via the trade route.

I might be drunk, but trading AK46 is the worst mistake Gauthier could do.

+1

Although I think he's gone next year since PG failed to lock him up long term.

Semin would make sense only if the habs could get rid of Gomez, but I wouldn't want to move AK46 for Semin. I like Semin despite his playoff performences, but even if the habs could trade for him, I don't see the habs being able to retain him next year when he is a UFA.

Cannot say I am a fan of Semin. Playoffs are what counts when it comes down too it and AK has as PM Koivu said been hitting up a storm so, not worth it.

John Scott as stated above is a uni-dimensional goon, I do not want the Habs having a player like that at all. Leave him for teams who lack a certain... class... that we the Canadiens have always possessed.

I might be drunk, but trading AK46 is the worst mistake Gauthier could do.

Do you think AK's going to have a breakout season?

I would be willing to trade him in a deal for Semin or Hemsky for sure.

Do you think AK's going to have a breakout season?

I would be willing to trade him in a deal for Semin or Hemsky for sure.

I wouldn't want anything to do with Hemsky and Semin's salary is close to double AK46's salary. I can see AK46 getting between 65-75 points if he is given 18-20 minutes and decent PP time.

I wouldn't want anything to do with Hemsky and Semin's salary is close to double AK46's salary. I can see AK46 getting between 65-75 points if he is given 18-20 minutes and decent PP time.

+1

For Semin? Yeah, I'll pass.

I agree.

And when Kostitsyn started hitting... I liked what I saw.

I'm not sold on Semin at all. Phenomenal talent but I'm not sure he would have any more desire then AK was criticized about.

kosty has very good talent Semin has great talent. guys this is a 40 goal scorer they don't grow on trees. We are not going to pick him up for 2 pucks and a roll of tape. We do need more offence and I would trade for semin, if he is available, if it means giving up on kosty so be it. I would like to believe that kosty will make the break through but this was a contract year for him and he really only played 1/2 the time. That is why he got no long term contract and the same money. his best year of 53 pts ain't going to cut it. Would not be suprised to see him gone but not for hemsky please.

Like many have replied, I also would hate to loose Kostitsyn.

But, I wonder what it would take to get someone like Jarret Stoll from LA or Paul Gaustad from Buffalo ? For me, that's the missing piece _IF_ we get the expected production from Gomez, Cammalleri, Cole and Gionta.

I would do the Semin trade minus Palushaj I think this kid will become a great player some day. When the doors open at the Bulldogs games you will see Palushaj on the ice by himself dressed in shorts a t-shirt and running shoes shooting pucks into the empty net from all angles, this kid is dedicated always one of last players to leave the ice during warm ups. The Canadiens made a big mistake letting Dawes and Boyd escape to the KHL along with Palushaj they made a great trio that could have stepped up and became our 3rd or 4th line in Montreal.

Kostitsyn is a useful player and all, and salary is certainly a major factor...but if people are honestly stating that they wouldn't swap Kostitsyn for Semin straight up, I find that exceedingly bizarre. You wouldn't trade a 45-point player whose offensive game completely disappears for months at a time in return for a 26-year-old point-per-game player with elite talent? :blink: It reminds me of fans who were upset when Serge Savard dealt Corson and Gilchrist for Vinny Damphousse.

Like I say, salary's another question. But in pure hockey terms, Kostitsyn for Semin is highway robbery.

I would do the Semin trade minus Palushaj I think this kid will become a great player some day. When the doors open at the Bulldogs games you will see Palushaj on the ice by himself dressed in shorts a t-shirt and running shoes shooting pucks into the empty net from all angles, this kid is dedicated always one of last players to leave the ice during warm ups. The Canadiens made a big mistake letting Dawes and Boyd escape to the KHL along with Palushaj they made a great trio that could have stepped up and became our 3rd or 4th line in Montreal.

The Habs didn't choose to let them go, they chose to go, agreeing to leave while the playoffs were still going on. Both players had been NHL regulars and now were above average AHL'ers, better money overseas in that instance. Them leaving isn't Montreal's fault at all.

Kostitsyn is a useful player and all, and salary is certainly a major factor...but if people are honestly stating that they wouldn't swap Kostitsyn for Semin straight up, I find that exceedingly bizarre. You wouldn't trade a 45-point player whose offensive game completely disappears for months at a time in return for a 26-year-old point-per-game player with elite talent? It reminds me of fans who were upset when Serge Savard dealt Corson and Gilchrist for Vinny Damphousse.

Like I say, salary's another question. But in pure hockey terms, Kostitsyn for Semin is highway robbery.

As long as Kostitsyn will not have played 82 games with Ovechkin under Boudreau and Semin with injured Cammy under Jacques Martin, I won't buy the highway robbery.

As long as Kostitsyn will not have played 82 games with Ovechkin under Boudreau and Semin with injured Cammy under Jacques Martin, I won't buy the highway robbery.

Suffice it to say, we must surely conclude that Andrei is the better fighter... Right?