Non-Rocket Habs Prospect tracker

Commandant

35 minutes ago, DON said:

Knowing training camp may be deciding factor if he plays in Laval or Europe, wouldnt another year there be fine for his development anyways?

It certainly wouldn't be the worst thing but at some point, I'd think the Habs would rather have full control over his development.

48 minutes ago, DON said:

Fowler had another solid game and some nice saves to beat Hutson/Tuch for 3rd time this year.

Jacob Fowler Makes Save of the Year - 29th Win is a Big One vs Lane Hutson (1A)/Tuch Smash 3-23-24 (youtube.com)

image.png

Clickbait30 has Fowler has the #1 in Laval next season ... they suggest trading Montembeault and going with Dobes and Primeau next season ... LOL

He has nice numbers, but so did Primeau and have to think is 0% chance of him turning pro this year.

Fowler    29-5-1   2.19  0.925%

Primeau 44-18-6 2.00 0.932%

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, DON said:

He has nice numbers, but so did Primeau and have to think is 0% chance of him turning pro this year.

Fowler    29-5-1   2.19  0.925%

Primeau 44-18-6 2.00 0.932%

This Fowler turning pro speculation I think is coming from Pierre McGuire who suggested that if Boston College wins the Frozen Four tournament this year, many players including Fowler would look to graduate. 

But there are other ways to move on without necessarily turning pro.  Fowler could instead enter the transfer portal or even go play in the CHL for a year where he could get 50+ starts.  Then, he could turn pro after that for 2025-26.  Or, if he went to another NCAA school, he could stay there longer than a year.

7 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Fowler could instead enter the transfer portal or even go play in the CHL for a year where he could get 50+ starts.

I don't believe he was drafted in his OHL draft year so I assume he would be able to pick his team if he went that route ... it could be a real benefit to his development to get a HEAVY workload.

All 3 prospects up 2-0 in playoff series

Habs Prospects

March 25 games

Färjestad BK at Rögle BK 2:00 pm - SHL Quarter Final (best-of-7) (Rögle leads series 2-0)

Adam Engström -

Växjö Lakers HC at Luleå HF 2:00 pm - SHL Quarter Final (best-of-7) (Växjö leads series 2-0)

Filip Eriksson -

KalPa Kuopio at Ilves Tampere 12:30 pm - Liiga Quarter Final (best-of-7) (KalPa leads series 2-0)

Oliver Kapanen -

End of CHL regular season

Ontario Hockey League Stats

Player Team
GP
G
A
PTS
+/-
PIM

Beck, Owen Saginaw
+26

Xhekaj, Florian Brantford
+17

Guindon, Cédrick Owen Sound

Mešár, Filip Kitchener
+7

Sobolev, Daniil Brantford
+6

Beck vs Guindon in 1st round

KItchener vs Erie

Bulldogs vs 67s 

1 hour ago, DON said:

Beck vs Guindon in 1st round

Assuming Saginaw takes this series, I'll be curious to see if Guindon joins Laval down the stretch.  I think he's on the bubble for getting signed to an ELC so getting even some practice time with the Rocket might be useful from an evaluation standpoint.

Quinn Hughes on being small offensive d-man going form NCAA to NHL.

Canadiens weekly notebook: An awkward milestone, an endorsement for Lane Hutson and more - The Athletic

“I figure why you’re asking, but I’m sure he’ll figure it out and he’ll be fine.”

"He, of course, is Canadiens prospect Lane Hutson, a similarly undersized offensive defenceman currently completing his season at Boston University. Hutson’s name was never mentioned to Hughes, but he had no problem identifying the reason behind the question. Hutson has been compared to Hughes for years, and Hughes clearly knows it."

“Right away, for the most part, I think I felt very confident. My first year couldn’t have gone better. I had a great season, and the second year, we struggled. I thought my third fourth and then this year have been really good. It’s just about building,” Hughes said. “Lane’s going to … it’s not about how good he is at 20 or 21, it’s about how good he is at 25, 26. I tell my brother Luke that, focus on one foot in front of the other, and he’s having a great year, too, but just keep grinding so that at 23, 24 you can say you’re one of the best in the league."

• Like 2

6 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Assuming Saginaw takes this series, I'll be curious to see if Guindon joins Laval down the stretch.  I think he's on the bubble for getting signed to an ELC so getting even some practice time with the Rocket might be useful from an evaluation standpoint.

I assume you mean Guindon signing a PTO ... looking elsewhere, is Florian certain enough of getting an NHL contract that he would decline such an offer, or might he also want to "show his wares" if he is eliminated early enough to warrant an offer?

EDITED: For clarity

PTO does not prevent a player from signing an NHL contract with someone else, so he really would not lose anything by doing a PTO.

2 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

PTO does not prevent a player from signing an NHL contract with someone else, so he really would not lose anything by doing a PTO.

The issue would, I guess, be whether he feels he will get signed ... if yes, why risk a catastrophic injury that could impact those chances. 

Engströms Rögle still tied with Färjestad after 5 periods. Waiting for 6th period now. If Rögle win they are up 3-0 in the series.

2 hours ago, GHT120 said:

I assume you mean his signing a PTO ... is Florian certain enough of getting an NHL contract that he would decline such an offer, or might he also want to "show his wares" if he is eliminated early enough to warrant an offer?

dlbalr was talking about Guindon, not Xhekaj

2 minutes ago, Dalhabs said:

Engströms Rögle still tied with Färjestad after 5 periods. Waiting for 6th period now. If Rögle win they are up 3-0 in the series.

Eriksson 0pts 14:17 in win, up 3-0 in series

Engstrom 0pts 4 shots 27:53 at end of period 5.

Kapanen 0pts 2 shots 18:19 9/22 in win, up 3-0 in series

26 minutes ago, DON said:

dlbalr was talking about Guindon, not Xhekaj

I know ... bad phrasing ... I was extending it to Florian.

On 3/25/2024 at 3:35 PM, GHT120 said:

I know ... bad phrasing ... I was extending it to Florian.

Florian is just 19, assume he will play 1 more year in the OHL, wont he?

5 minutes ago, DON said:

Florian is just 19, assume he will play 1 more year in the OHL, wont he?

I expect he will go back if not signed ... but I'm certain he would rather get a contract than play as an over-ager ... unless he has another significant jump in production (say, at least 20+ points) as an OHL over-ager it likely doesn't add to his odds of getting signed.

On 3/25/2024 at 4:06 PM, GHT120 said:

I assume you mean Guindon signing a PTO ... looking elsewhere, is Florian certain enough of getting an NHL contract that he would decline such an offer, or might he also want to "show his wares" if he is eliminated early enough to warrant an offer?

EDITED: For clarity

ATO for Guindon.  If he thinks he has a chance to earn a contract or to help his case of getting one from another team for next year (over going back for his OA year), then I suspect he'd take it.  Otherwise, he sits and hopes for a contract from Montreal or goes back into the draft and hopes someone takes him.

Xhekaj is a bit of a different case as his rights aren't up in June like Guindon's are.  If Brantford is eliminated early, he'd likely be invited to skate with Laval but it wouldn't necessarily be about trying to impress for a contract rather than just being an extra body and getting a chance to work with the coaches/development staff.  I imagine he'd jump at the opportunity no matter what.

3 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Things aren't looking so good for ECHL Trois-Rivieres.  At a minimum, it seems unlikely they'll be around next season.  It's possible they might not even get through this season.

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2024/03/echl-newfoundland-trois-rivieres-may-not-finish-season.html

May not help them that the UQTR Patriotes have been a near perennial powerhouse for a quarter century.

Kapanen 2a 20:55 up 3-1 in series

Engstrom/Eriksson 0pts but both sweep their series