GDT: Sabres @ Canadiens - October 18th, 2011

bar

I still really like the way this team looks right now. I think Martin will have a tough choice when he has to decide which of Weber, Emelin, or Diaz to scratch.

Well hopefully we don't say same thing about Fleury as we had Miller, Kipper, and Reimer already.

Varlomov was awesome too. He made some massive saves.

Yeah, blaming the other goalie gets a bit lame. First of all, OUR goalie is supposed to be the one who steals games, not the other way around. Secondly, most teams have a good goalie. You can use that excuse all season long. I'm sorry, but Varlamov and Reiner are not exactly the second coming of Tretiak. We're the problem a lot more than the opposition is.

Here's the was I see it.......when we do come out strong and have good chances early and DON'T cash in we get down. Then when the othre team pots one we go into a shell, no one wanting to make the next mistake....

We're a fragile team mentally IMO (and have been for a while.......)

Yeah, blaming the other goalie gets a bit lame. First of all, OUR goalie is supposed to be the one who steals games, not the other way around. Secondly, most teams have a good goalie. You can use that excuse all season long. I'm sorry, but Varlamov and Reiner are not exactly the second coming of Tretiak. We're the problem a lot more than the opposition is.

The way I see it, there are games to blame the loss on the other teams goalie, and there are games where you can't.

Reimer played well, but we made him look good with a lot of shots right at him and by not capitalizing and driving for Rebounds.

Kipprusoff had a good game, but he didn't steal anything... Calgary outplayed us.

Varlamov was average. He didn't steal that game.

Tonight.... we had all kinds of great chances and Miller stood on his head. Miller is one of the best goalies in the NHL, not many would dispute that, and tonight he stole 2 points.

Again, we do this to fleury and Reimer in our next two games, and we'll be 500 by the end of the weekend.

• Upvote 1

Here's the was I see it.......when we do come out strong and have good chances early and DON'T cash in we get down. Then when the othre team pots one we go into a shell, no one wanting to make the next mistake....

We're a fragile team mentally IMO (and have been for a while.......)

Thats the way a lot of our games have gone in the last year or so. And I agree with that assessment in general. It is a pattern, and its definetely someting that is a problem for the Habs.

However I didn't see us do that tonight.... this wasn't like the Leaf game where we sleep walked through 40 minutes after the Leafs scored, even our third period we played well, but Buffalo shut it down and when they didn't Miller robbed us.

Was at the game. Some observations.

AK-Desharnais-Pax line : easily our best. I mean EASILY.

Jacques Martin : why de ###### do you put the 4th line for a faceoff in the offensive zone after an icing TWICE only in the first period ??? What kind of strategic play is that ???

Price : beaten by a perfect shot and a rebound right on an opponent's tape.

Eller : gooood speed and energy.

Plex : worst game of the season. Almost invisible out there.

Gorges : i think it was him on the most useless icing of the season so far, just prior to the 2nd Buffalo's goal. yark.

Shots on Miller : we were not going to beat Miller with these shots from the blueline. Never.

My record since 2005 at the Bell Centre is now something like 8 or 9 wins and 4 loses. DAMN.

For sure

Our break out passes need work ive seen to many wasted chances

I want to steal Gaustads faceoff ability

Is Enqvist any good at faceoffs ? I mean, I don,t know at all. All I know is that JM played Enqvist's line against Gaustad's all game long.

Yeah, blaming the other goalie gets a bit lame. First of all, OUR goalie is supposed to be the one who steals games, not the other way around. Secondly, most teams have a good goalie. You can use that excuse all season long. I'm sorry, but Varlamov and Reiner are not exactly the secon

d coming of Tretiak. We're the problem a lot more than the opposition

is.

Reimer got lucky and shut the door in Montreal's first period. Varlomov made some spectacular saves. Bottom line is that the team just hasn't been getting the bounces. Price is not in his usual form, and the play in the defensive end has been poor, but overall offensively the Habs have looked dangerous in every game. I would say they played 50 minutes of dominant hockey tonight. If they continue to play like this, the wins will come. I love the three scoring lines. I just wish Gomez and Cole would pick it up.

The way I see it, there are games to blame the loss on the other teams goalie, and there are games where you can't.

Reimer played well, but we made him look good with a lot of shots right at him and by not capitalizing and driving for Rebounds.

Kiprusoff had a good game, but he didn't steal anything... Calgary outplayed us.

Varlamov was average. He didn't steal that game.

Tonight.... we had all kinds of great chances and Miller stood on his head. Miller is one of the best goalies in the NHL, not many would dispute that, and tonight he stole 2 points.

Again, we do this to fleury and Reimer in our next two games, and we'll be 500 by the end of the weekend.

I agree. Things may have gone quite differently had Pleks buried that chance into the (mostly) empty net, but Miller was the number one reason why Montreal lost last night.

I'm encouraged by the Habs' ES play, but their PP is going to have to start being effective if they're going to have any success. I'm also happy with the fact that the D seems to be growing accustomed to one another, and Emelin and Diaz are growing more comfortable and effective simultaneously. If Montreal continues to play this way AND gets their special teams in order, I think we'll see a quick turnaround.

There's something that happens in hockey.... and i don't know why it is, but it always seems true.

When a team is hot, they win some games at the end of that hot streak that they probably should have lost. But for some reason they get a break, a penalty call, a hot goalie, something, that gives an extra win or two at the end of the streak.

When a team is struggling the opposite occurs. Even when they play well, they don't get that break, they get a bad call against or run into a hot goalie, or a bad bounce happens, and they lose a game they should have won.

But what you notice is that if the team that was hot, continues to play that way, eventually a losing streak sets in.

And if the team that was struggling, keeps working and playing better, they'll get their share of good bounces and a winning streak will start.

I really think that is what is going on here.

I note the same phenomenon's in individual players... and in our PP. The PP (at least the pleks-patches-desharnais-subban-weber unit) looked good last night. It just isn't finishing, due to some hot goaltending by Miller. That unit will come around.

The second unit.... I don't like Cole on the PP at all, he's not a PP guy, and I don't like AK46 at the point.

We're suppose to be this great defensive styled team, yet we continually have some pretty big brain farts (leading to goals) and we've been playing with injuries forever (it seems) so we should be used to that as well...I know I know big names hurt etc etc but OTHER teams also have players hurt and those around them STEP UP. Why can't we keep up sustained pressure? We go through some good shifts and then there's ONE mistake and we fall apart, unil late in teh game when we once again pick up our game.....but it's usually too late at that point

So at SOME point we need to suck it up and move past these "excuses" And if the Molson's are reading this I think the JM experiment has run it's course......Can you imagine if Boucher or Torts ran the bench? There'd be no slacking off on the ice or they'd SIT

The habs gave up 2 goals a game..that's great defensively. No team goes entire games without giving up chances, the Sabres just capitalized on both of theirs, and the habs fluffed on theirs. There's some wins I feel terrible after cause of the play, last nights 'lose' just showed what happens when the bounces do not go your way.

I am a little worried about Cole though.

We're suppose to be this great defensive styled team, yet we continually have some pretty big brain farts (leading to goals) and we've been playing with injuries forever (it seems) so we should be used to that as well...I know I know big names hurt etc etc but OTHER teams also have players hurt and those around them STEP UP. Why can't we keep up sustained pressure? We go through some good shifts and then there's ONE mistake and we fall apart, unil late in teh game when we once again pick up our game.....but it's usually too late at that point

So at SOME point we need to suck it up and move past these "excuses" And if the Molson's are reading this I think the JM experiment has run it's course......Can you imagine if Boucher or Torts ran the bench? There'd be no slacking off on the ice or they'd SIT

The big thing about the injuries is they are all coming in the same spot.

Left sided D.

Only 1 of our regulars on the Left (Hal Gill) was projected to play there before the season began. Markov, Campoli, and Spacek all being hurt at the same time is really a killer.

On forward, its just one guy, so you have to learn and adapt, and I can understand the "everyone has injuries, so there is no excuse" point when it comes to Cammy. I'm in agreement with you there.

I just think that when one position is so devastated, that you have basically three rookies in the lineup, plus Gorges playing somewhere he hasn't played in 4 years, its gonna hurt any team.

That said, the defence played well last night... in fact the whole team played well. We have to remember that the other team is full of pros who get paid, and are trying to win as well. Last night, Ryan Miller was just better than the Habs. Its really that simple. No one to blame for this loss.

The Canadiens have had one real stinker of a game this year so far (Calgary), and the Toronto game was not a full 60 minutes. They scored early and often against Winnipeg and didn't need a lot of pushback.

Other than that, the team has looked good with a bare bones lineup, but right now every mistake, no matter how innocent, seems to be ending up in the back of the net.

If they play like they did last night with any sort of regularity, they will win a LOT of games. The defence was generally excellent *(how about that Emelin, who is adjusting very quickly to the angles). The passing was good. The skating was superb. The cycle game was strong, and the scoring chances were plentiful. The PP was inconsistent, but could have easily been 1 for 5 based on the chances.

Seriously, how many other breakdowns were there other than the two that ended up in the back of the net? You aren't going to play a perfect 60 minutes. This should have been an easy 2 points, but Miller thwarted the attack just as Halak did to the Capitals.

I have just watched yesterday's game on Canadien Express (RDS). My opinion is that we had a great effort.

We outplayed the Sabres on territory control all game long. Also, we did not draw penalties, but obliged them to do so a number of times (5 against 1), which has not happened very often last year.

The shots on goals were clearly in our favor, but looking closely at our chances I noticed that our shooters lacked patience, for the most part. A number of opportunities were easy saves, IMO. I don't want to minimize what Miller has done (he had an excellent game), but I believe that our players need to be more confident in their ability. Good rebounds and luck will turn in favor of our forwards once they will show more poise on the ice.

Contrarily to many observers (Vincent Damphousse among them), I believe that Gomez is playing well right now. IMO, he made a good job on his line, better than Plekanec (who played well, but not as well). Desharnais has been the better center, but a lot of credit has to go to his linemates, Max Pax (awesome) and AK46 (surprisingly focused and dedicated).

Price had an excellent game. I first thought that the rebound on the first goal was too juicy, but the shot was hard to control (right on his pads). The problem was that the Sabres had a defenseman supporting the attack deep in the slot. That man was not covered and he scored on an excellent shot. Sometimes you have to be lucky. For example, I saw Gionta shoot on Miller in the 3rd period. The shot was not particularly hard to block (very sharp angle), and the rebound was too juicy (just in front of the goal), but Moen missed the rebound and the empty net. Unlucky Moen; lucky Miller. Those are the breaks...

The big surprise yesterday IMO was our defense. Very solid all along. Some guys said that Gorges was our worst defenseman. Well, if Gorges was bad playing like he did, I would take six like him on the team. Of course, he made a mistake on Buffalo's 2nd goal, but besides that he was solid IMO. The other guys, Weber, Gill, Diaz, Emelin and Subban played a great game. Very fast skaters (except Gill, of course), quick decisions with the puck (particularly Subban and Diaz), intelligent plays. I am impressed, really.

To conclude, I believe that when the guys are playing like yesterday, we have a team able to compete with anybody. Of course, the addition of Cammalleri and Markov will be a great plus, but I feel that we have what it takes to win our fare shares of game with the roaster as it is. (I did not say anything about the 4th line, because they did not have much ice time, but again I believe that Palushaj showed that he has the talent to play in the NHL. He made a nice play in the 3rd that almost gave us the tying goal. Engqvist just missed by a few inches...)

Be patient guys. We will get out of this slump.

Another nice game for habs and young guys are doing well.

Gorges?? still out of sync and seems a liability out there, but still very early

I still see Gomez just spinning his wheels and see no improvment over last year...yet., i would like to see Moan and Palushaj flipped and i still dont see Moan as anything but a 4th liner.

MIller is one good goalie and stole one for Sabres.

Subban was better also, which is encouraging.

I am still seeing the same play from Gomez that he had last year and in the years with the Rangers. Skates through neutral zone just fine with the puck but once he gets into the attacking zone he just ends up turning over the puck making a bad pass. His shots are usually wide and from a bad angle where he will never score usually high as well so no rebound chances and he continues to not crash the net and just play to the outside. He had only one good game this season and that was the game where Gionta ended up having his worse game.

I haven't seen any gigantic improvement from Gomez myself, but I think fans are a bit confused. This guy never has been and never will be a goal scorer; when he says he wants to shoot more, that is not mainly about scoring goals, but about making his game less predictable. If he can succeed in doing that, then he will become more successful as a playmaker, which is what he's all about.

I haven't seen any gigantic improvement from Gomez myself, but I think fans are a bit confused. This guy never has been and never will be a goal scorer; when he says he wants to shoot more, that is not mainly about scoring goals, but about making his game less predictable. If he can succeed in doing that, then he will become more successful as a playmaker, which is what he's all about.

I think the only way to make Gomer less predictable is too break up him and Gio, cause that is what's so predictable.

You have to get the points when you outplay an opponent- Because youyr not going to play like that all the time- this keeps up and there will be no playoffs for this team- This team again doesnt have many finishers and of course the same cast of poor starters

Edited by larek

I think the only way to make Gomer less predictable is too break up him and Gio, cause that is what's so predictable.

What would you put the lines as?

AK-DD-Patches have been great, I wouldn't split them up.

What would you put the lines as?

AK-DD-Patches have been great, I wouldn't split them up.

I'd like to see something like this.

Patches-DD-AK46

Eller-Pleky-Gio

Pulashaj-Gomer-Cole

Moen-Engqvist-Darche

When Cammy comes back...

Patches-DD-AK46

Cammy-Pleky-Gio

Eller-Gomer-Cole

Moen-Engqvist-Darche

Maybe swap Cammy and Eller, although I want to see Eller back at C, I'm not sure which the best line would be for him.